Rp help

Britt-21

Omniverse Explorer
Roleplay Type(s)
well I had no idea where to put this so I put this here!

Hi, Ive been a rper here for a very long time as well as out of the site. Thing is.. I would like some opinions and tips on how to write better then just 3 lines which are just jibberish. I would like to rp better for my partners and make them feel like they're not dealing with a 5 year old partner. (Post length wise, not grammar xD )

Plz halp!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend you read cheesy romance novels. You know, the one with Jude Deveraux or Barbara Delinsky or even the regency era ones? These novels are full of setting and mood. They describe the characters and their movements as if each tells their own mini story. You might think it's a sign of bad writing and perhaps in a way it could be. But believe me, you can learn a thing or two from their writing. They aren't famous or popular for the covers, they really know how to pull emotions into a person. I can recommend some newer ones that hold intelligent romantic writing if that's what you prefer.

Then you also have the Mystery novels, or my preference, teacup mysteries. These also build mood, suspense, and emotion which is why they're designed to be page turners. You can learn from these two.

Next would be the Short Stories and Flash Fiction. While the length may be short, they try to put as much depth and richness in their works within text constraints. RP's also have their own constraints because you can't go forward without the other person, so you really need to wow others with what you write.

And that's why I offer those three. With the exception of flash fiction, Short Stories are around three to five pages, Romance and Mystery novels are well...novel size. You go all poetic when describing your scenery, when describing a person.

Ex: His eyes were blue.

"His eyes remind her of the cerulean glean of the Aegean Sea promising one a lovely and fun time."

Overkill? maybe. But is it longer? yes.

look, read them and see if they speak to you. Then imitate an author's style. Once you feel like you should try your own style, then go for it.

If you would like we can do an 1x1? @Britt\-21

And for future reference you can probably place this in 'Roleplay Advice & Planning', this seems suitable for the section.

wait wha? O.o

we could do a 1x1..I wouldnt mind..I just hope I'm good DX

Oh cmon Britt! I know you can do it! I remember you from the dere festival!

Thats when I was in the creative mood ;-;

I guess I can try

[QUOTE="Britt-21]Thats when I was in the creative mood ;-;

[/QUOTE]
We shall jumpstart that creativity once again! Don't give up hope on me, not before we have even started! C'mon, what do you say? Accept my proposal?

As a fellow Dere, I've seen what you can do and it is certainly better than a five-year old child. I've always held a preference for quality over quantity, but if you're looking to mix both and increase the size of your posts, I have some tips that may help.

If you struggle with writer's block, trying to clear your mind would be a good place to start. Once you've cleared your head, reading over your partner's last post might be beneficial. Think over what was written and how your character would respond to any action that occurs.

Seeing something from your character's point of view is very helpful when it comes to writing. How would they react to their location? What are their thoughts about the current situation and the people involved? Are they happy, sad, angry? Describing a character's thoughts and emotions is a good way to increase the size of a post and develop them. How they perceive things and react to them can shape the story, as well as offer more insight into the character, which can potentially help the person you are writing with.

There's also the matter of your own feelings. Finding something you enjoy writing about often produces a better result, so focusing on an aspect you like the most can help increase your drive.

In my experience, this works better from a Third-Person point of view.

For example, if your character was suddenly punched in this face, think of how they would react to the action. If you think that they might be a little mad about that, follow on that by going through the buildup of emotion that will lead to a reaction.

"Still feeling the sting from the sudden assault on her cheek, a wave of anger began to rise..."

Emotion can also alter other things, such as how they view a person or location. Going back to the example of suddenly being attacked, your character probably wouldn't view the person that carried out the action as an innocent child that could do no wrong. Going off of emotion, they could see the person as a monster and the world around them could potentially fade as they focus on their anger.

Your character doesn't necessarily need to be attacked in order to describe their opinions and such. Have them observe certain things. Would they spark any memories or cause them to feel a certain way. Does the ocean calm them or give them a fear of drowning?

These methods can be used from multiple points of view. It usually requires a simple switch of "(s)he", "they", and "I"

[QUOTE="Britt-21]I just really dont wanna write small lines, you know? ;-;

[/QUOTE]
Try writing about the environment, things your character smells, sees, tastes, hears.

-Get yourself in a mood to write.

-Take liberties in your grammar if you feel that you're worrying to the degree that it hinders your 'flow.' I'd urge you to not take too many, but I can't give any specifics on where the limit would be.

-Work on descriptive writing (imagery); a scene really does become more entertaining when there's more details. Don't put details into irrelevant or unnecessary things though. Keep to what the scene would be focusing on, or what you want other characters to see. Basically just keep it relevant.

-Try to think out a scene before posting. You can't always do this, but I think it's best to run through an idea when you can. It can make some good stuff.

-Sometimes, if the goal is to make a really meaty post, you add in a bit of fat; extra words and details that aren't necessary. You may also be able to use irrelevant events, like something your character sees while going somewhere.

-Music? It depends on the person and the time. Sometimes it motivates, but other times it's a distraction.

-When you want to get an idea of how someone might feel about something across, show that through a suggestion; "She parts her hair and *insert details here because I don't do romance shit* Some would easily call her beautiful," as opposed to "She parts her hair and *blah* She is very beautiful." May be a personal idea, but I consider the suggestion better because the other person's character might not find her pretty - Instead, other people would find her pretty. The player would get the idea that his character is looking at a person typically seen as beautiful without anything being assumed about him or possibly being forced on him.

-This: "He wipes his brow somewhat," instead of "He wipes his brow." Unless you integrate it better ("For a moment, he wipes his brow") it just sticks out and stops the flow like a brick wall dropped infront of a car.

-Though this is not always the case, it's sometimes good to write in present tense as it makes a scene more exciting... Well, that's according to my english teacher. I agree thus far.

If you're attempting to do something, then you should speak in past tense ("___ would continue through the entrance.") That makes a clear opening for another player, or the DM, to jump in and intervene if the need is there.

What I've got so far.

[QUOTE="The Gunrunner]-This: "He wipes his brow somewhat," instead of "He wipes his brow." Unless you integrate it better ("For a moment, he wipes his brow") it just sticks out and stops the flow like a brick wall dropped infront of a car.

[/QUOTE]
Are you suggesting adding the word "somewhat" after he wipes his brow?

Basic rule of thumb when writing... use what you have. We possess 5 senses for a reason - utilize them. What does the character see, smell, hear, feel (taste is a little strange, but you can go there if you want xD ) -- And then branch from that... what do you want the reader to see, smell, hear, feel... Visualize the scene the way you might a movie, and then write what you know...

A lot of times, people think that fluffing up a post with crazy descriptions and details is going to improve their writing. In the end, this is just as bad (sometimes worse) than a one-liner. Don't get prosey - that's not going to help you grow. Unless you're writing a harlequin romance novel, fluff is going to read exactly that way... fluff. You can add a hundred words to describe eyes, but in the end the only thing people really care about is that they're blue - so say blue. If you want to broaden it... then go for adjectives that means something. Do they have an emotion behind them? Are they blank? Deep? Empty? Wise? Thoughtful? If you just HAVE to use color-adjectives, then go for something new... creative... Use descriptive terms and words that MATTER. That invoke. Resisting cliches (I.E. - "His blue eyes glittered like crystals") is difficult, but in the end you'll come out with something that people -want- to read. That's not to say I'm remotely perfect... I read through my writing and find it's FULL of purple prose - but writing is all about learning and growing and maturing.

I would love to help you more, if you're interested. Just PM me :)

ALSO! And this is just me, but I'm not alone (thanks, Neil Gaiman!)- one thing that I try to avoid is too many -thought verbs-... (thought, felt, knew, etc.) There's a reason people say "show, don't tell" and in writing this can be especially important. Now, in roleplaying it's sometimes hard, because in order to get the quality you need, a little introspection helps, but in the end which is more evocative ?

"She entered the room and he thought she looked beautiful, "Wow..." He said, grinning."

or

"She entered and his eyes found her, widening, his tongue sticking to the roof of his mouth as he opened it to speak. She approached, smooth black heels pattering on the ceramics and he cleared his throat, finding his voice, "Wow..." He breathed, a goofy grin spilling out across his face."

~~

And something that I've always found important... remember who you're writing for. If you're playing a prissy, pretty diva than sure... describing the dress another character is wearing in vivid detail could be important - but if you're playing a rough and tumble lumberjack, chances are he isn't going to know Prada from a parade, and he certainly isn't going to 'think' words like "aubergine" or "cerulean"

Don't be afraid to -use- that characterization to make your posts more interesting...

For instance, using the lumberjack reference: "She wandered towards him and his eyes flickered to her sleek, bare legs - supple trunks, smooth as Birch. Not the kind you'd put a hatchet in, mind... but the kind you'd spend hours whittling with careful precision."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back