Advice/Help Roleplay Rejection?

thetasfiasco

Not Drawn to Scale
This is something I've been doing for a while, and I can't quite seem to shake it. I can't reject people from joining the roleplays I start. I always do background checks, I look at a person's previous characters and recent posts to see if I'd enjoy them being a part of the roleplay; but, even if they're the absolute worst writer I've seen, I can't tell them that I don't want them to be a part of the roleplay. I know this isn't exclusive to me, but I'm starting something new and I'd appreciate it if someone were to give me some sort of advice on how they deal with situations like this. Thanks~

This is something I've been doing for a while, and I can't quite seem to shake it. I can't reject people from joining the roleplays I start. I always do background checks, I look at a person's previous characters and recent posts to see if I'd enjoy them being a part of the roleplay; but, even if they're the absolute worst writer I've seen, I can't tell them that I don't want them to be a part of the roleplay. I know this isn't exclusive to me, but I'm starting something new and I'd appreciate it if someone were to give me some sort of advice on how they deal with situations like this. Thanks~
I don't RP much, but this situation isn't exclusive to roleplaying.
Phrase it bureaucratically.
"I'm afraid that you're not exactly the type of roleplayer that this roleplay necessitates. You know I would let you stay if you were."
All i had to say;
Potato, rolling out.
*smoke bomb*

Honestly, it's your roleplay. If a user doesn't meet your criteria or you can sense drama in the future because of them, you have the right to decline them. There's gonna be users that don't understand that they've been rejected or how to take it, but that's just a normal thing for roleplays. You just gotta dig deep and know what you're doing is going to help your thread in the long run. Yeah, rejection sucks, but that shouldn't stop you in trying to make what you think is the best goddamn thread. =w= /

If you think it's something that can be fixed - I.e. A character sheet that needs fleshed out or a misunderstood rule.

Just inform them calmly of what they need to do to fit into the roleplay ( they get one chance to change )

If you think they won't change or if you know they'll bring the roleplay down

Simple : I'm afraid this roleplay isn't going to be a good fit for you. Good luck on your search.

If they prove difficult then reply firm - No you may not join.

If they keep arguing than just ignore them or report them.

Basically you need to remind yourself you are the boss not the friend.

Umm...could I interject here?

Why would you ever want to deny someone the right to roleplay? That doesn't seem fair to the RPer. You could give them pointers or whatever, but I don't think it's a good idea to just straight up refuse someone just because of how they write.
Now, if you explicitly state in the interest check that you only want people who have a certain level of experience, that's different. Then you can just base it on how old their account is or something. But if someone really wants to join your RP you should atmleast give them a chance to, right?

Umm...could I interject here?

Why would you ever want to deny someone the right to roleplay? That doesn't seem fair to the RPer. You could give them pointers or whatever, but I don't think it's a good idea to just straight up refuse someone just because of how they write.
Now, if you explicitly state in the interest check that you only want people who have a certain level of experience, that's different. Then you can just base it on how old their account is or something. But if someone really wants to join your RP you should atmleast give them a chance to, right?
Yeah I wouldn't go too into detail on checking their entire roleplay background.
If their character sheet or posts need fixing then just tell them otherwise, if they refuse to acknowledge you then just tell them "I'm sorry but you're not what we're looking for."

I typically give everyone the benefit of the doubt. If I have issues, I have no problems telling them of said problem

Honestly I have the same problem. Sometimes their level of writing doesn't fit well with your level and the other rpers in the rp. Sometimes their lack of ability can ruin the rp. It may not happen often but it's a possibility. Probably letting them off nicely and trying not to offend them would be the correct way to do it.

It's been years now and I still find the best advice and wisdom I've ever seen on handling a variety of topics like this comes from Shamus Young. While he writes about forum moderation, I've generally found the principles to be incredibly valuable.

You're a nice person and so you want to be nice to people. And letting them play in your RPs no matter what they do to it or other players fulfills that value.

If you have the goal of running a quality game, however, you will not unless you put some kind of filtering in place (or as a fluke get extremely lucky with a crop of players).

These are tensions that aren't easy to reconcile in the same game. My advice is don't. If it's incredibly important to you that you not offend a particular player, offer to run a sidegame with them and see for yourself if you're able to improve things with them. That contains the damage they can do to a space that won't harm your main game. However, RPNation's a big place; there are a bajillion other games they can go and do instead. A simple message like "Hey, fifteen of you applied and I've picked as many as I can handle, thanks for applying and good luck with your next game" is literally all you ever need to say and the average player will just shrug and move on to the next Interest Check.

Good luck!

I agree with Geeking Out. I have had many applicants who did not quite fit what I was looking for, and the simplest answer was to reject them. However...with all respect to Occam's Razor, that's not always the best solution. In many cases, the problems could be resolved with a few tweaks to the character concept. Some cases required longer-term care, but still worked out. And, yes, there was the odd player that just wouldn't fit, but at least you're narrowing that down.

If it's down to writing style, or even skill level...that is something you have to decide for yourself. Sometimes you learn the most by interacting with those more skilled than you are. Maybe that's your chance to teach someone.

I had this same issue when I started making my own boards and I think in a lot of ways I still do. However, I have gotten better at giving people the boot or leaving when someone makes me uncomfortable because I realised that you can't please everyone. No matter how much you want to, you just can't be friends with every single person in this community. Styles are going to clash, muse is going to clash, speed is going to clash; there are so many different ways to RP and not everyone carries the same style.

Just remember that the RP world is HUGE and just because you make your game safer and more comfortable by giving someone the boot doesn't mean that you're a bad person or that people will stop coming to your game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back