Roleplay Pet Peeves

This kids is why you have teleport (dont kill me plz)

RPers that dont have any power limit on characters. Teleporting should cost about half the turn magic limit (in a combat system i'm creating), but they just say "F*** it, i'll spam teleport".

Side note: The system i am making is based off of fighting games like MvC. I tested it with this Combat RP Einstein. So in the system, there are Supers that cost 100% Super Power to use. Supers aren't able to build super power. His character is pure Chip Damage, but his super deals damage equal to how much hp his character is missing, based on %. He said "All of my character's attacks are considered Supers, so i cant build up power by dealing damage, but taking damage instead". I love this dude

Ranged Combatants with flight or Teleportation are Outright Broken in Grid based and Zone based combat systems. no amount of combat penalties balances the combination of ranged combat with either flight or teleportation. easier to hit a target from above than below. plus, melee dude can't get to you without  a faster and more maneuverable form of flight. Flight plus ranged attack  spam is broken.

Ranged Combatants with flight or Teleportation are Outright Broken in Grid based and Zone based combat systems. no amount of combat penalties balances the combination of ranged combat with either flight or teleportation. easier to hit a target from above than below. plus, melee dude can't get to you without  a faster and more maneuverable form of flight. Flight plus ranged attack  spam is broken.

The resident aarakocra ranger agrees.

The resident aarakocra ranger agrees.

i would never allow an Aaracocra who focused on Archery or Offensive Spellcasting at a table i ran. i might allow a Pixie Rogue with a knife, as long as the Pixie wasn't also an Archer. but Pixie Rogues is kind of Pushing it.

When the GM says "Pictures must be real humans!" and doesn't allow descriptions. Using a real human as a reference picture makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

When the GM says "Pictures must be real humans!" and doesn't allow descriptions. Using a real human as a reference picture makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

Annoys me too. but i tend to google search cute cosplayers.

Yeah thats a weird one. I totally understand only taking pictures of real people (one of my personal peeves is anime characters, honestly) but not allowing heavy description instead just seems silly. 

(Ignore prefix) (Ignore post count)

IT MAKES ME MAD BEYOND REASON.

Dunno exactly why tho.

(Seriously who gives a shit about your post count if you prove yourself to be a good roleplayer ? I've seen people with 1k+ post count acting like fucking retards, I doesn't mean shit.)

I use stock photos if I need pictures of real people.   Never had anyone complain about the watermark.  

pexels.com and pixabay.com are public domain sites without the watermark. their selection of models is not especially diverse but all the photos are totally free of copyright. also flicker.com has a creative commons section where you can find various pictures under creative commons license. if your worried about using pictures without permission or whatever.

https://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

Speedposting. I have work, I have things to do beyond RP. I cannot keep up with scores of posts a day in every RP. I know that this particular site seems to be loaded with speedsters, too. Another thing is people leaving me hanging, whether flat-out mass ignoring me, or saying they'll interact before doing a Jimmy Hoffa impersonation.

I personally hate it when someone writes a  extremely vague  power on purpose, and abuses it in the roleplay. Then they come up with an excuse and blame someone else. Someone I roleplayed with on another site had a character with an aura that no one could penetrate and it was virtually impossible to hit the character. 

When they leave without saying anything for longer than an hour. Like ill wait maybe an hour for them, but i gotta other stuff to do. and then when they finally get back on they get mad at me for taking too long to reply

What does this mean, author intrusion? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

The author is intruding the story. They're intruding it by placing themselves between the reader and the character, which can wreak of Mary & Gary-Stu perfect characters. 

Well, in the literary sense, author intrusion is when the author steps away from the story and speaks directly to the reader. So.. I'm not sure what geeking out is referring to about grammar. 

Well, in the literary sense, author intrusion is when the author steps away from the story and speaks directly to the reader. So.. I'm not sure what geeking out is referring to about grammar. 

Lol I was just quoting the above post asking for a definition. But that makes sense, it's like breaking the fourth wall then?

Lol I was just quoting the above post asking for a definition. But that makes sense, it's like breaking the fourth wall then?

Whoops. Misread the author. 

Well, its sort of different than breaking the fourth wall in its common sense - usually breaking the fourth is something a character does (i.e. Deadpool addressing the audience). Author intrusion is usually when the author him/her/self directly addresses the reader.

Imagine reading Lord of the Rings, and suddenly, this pops up -

"Hey, this is J.R.R Tolkien. You might be wondering..."

Grammar issues are made by the author, which can be disruptive, depending on what the grammar issue is. It reminds the reader they are reading as opposed to creating that dream-like state a book is supposed to put you in. 

Grammar issues aren't too bad if they are Minor or if a Certain type of Grammar issue is a Quirk of the Author. Authors with Quirks Lure you into the Story. I use Capitalization as a form of Emphasis because i am used to chats that lack the functionality to use Bolding or Italics.

Author intrusion. Even poor grammar is a result of author intrusion. Grammar either makes or breaks a story. 

Do we even use the word "author" in roleplay? It's not writing an essay. Any breaking the fourth wall texts can be attributed as OOC so it's not a problem.

Do you mean self-insertion, as in roleplayers based the characters on their own self?

Do we even use the word "author" in roleplay? It's not writing an essay. Any breaking the fourth wall texts can be attributed as OOC so it's not a problem.

Do you mean self-insertion, as in roleplayers based the characters on their own self?

basing a character on an idealized version of whom you wish you were isn't a bad thing. as long as the character isn't completely stealing the spotlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back