Roleplay Cliches

Marianne said:
Most 'cute girls' in RPs only giggle and squeal, at least the ones I used to be in, and it's disappointing. You can be cute in more than one way, yet they go by the typical 'cartoon character', 'anime character' book.
I agree, it´s sometimes a bit disappointing, though I find that "typical cartoon/anime character" is kind of like...the person´s IDEA of "cute"? Like, if you ask them to think of something cute, they might immediately jump to that one anime/cartoon character or something. Giggles and squeals don´t make anything cute, I can´t understand anyone who thinks it is enough to anyways, but I don´t find it to be wrong to base the cuteness of your character on the things you actually find cute.

Idea said:
I agree, it´s sometimes a bit disappointing, though I find that "typical cartoon/anime character" is kind of like...the person´s IDEA of "cute"? Like, if you ask them to think of something cute, they might immediately jump to that one anime/cartoon character or something. Giggles and squeals don´t make anything cute, I can´t understand anyone who thinks it is enough to anyways, but I don´t find it to be wrong to base the cuteness of your character on the things you actually find cute.
Hmm, I see. I respect you, your response just opened my mind up a bit. Hadn't realized how biased my post was.

Marianne said:
Hmm, I see. I respect you, your response just opened my mind up a bit. Hadn't realized how biased my post was.
you´re welcome. I´m glad I could help. Thank you for being civilized towards criticism.

Whenever a character makes an entire story about their one character and completely derail the plot to the point of no return I just can't do it. Like hun, I get it, your whole family is dead, you're 16 and in a relationship that will last 5EVER but there is other shit to be done and I do not care about how sad your character is because Jeffrey has no hand and I think that's more important than the fact that your bf is going off to fight the James Dean of zombies and you might be alone forever.

tjcbtKV.gif

Note: This has never happened on this site, it happened on another site I was on. Basically the RPer made their character the centre of everything, causing a lovely zombie roleplay to die prematurely.

Marianne said:
Exactly.
Man I am two months late.
Better late than never. I find it hard to roleplay because typically at least half of the roleplayers that are around are overly cliche or self-centered, or like being Overpowered. I also hate how underestimated real life things are to some people. Like you got a dude who knows on magic spell, all of the sudden, if the entire US army lined up and fired at him like a firing squad, he'd win because magic. Just because you know how to shoot fire out of your hands doesn't mean that an explosion is now just confetti and silly string

Demonhunter said:
Everyone's seen them, whats the craziest one you've seen?
- I usually do fandom RPs I get irritated when we follow past fandom plots to a tee. like, make up somthing new! make new villains for the protagonists to battle, see how crazy you can twist the concept.
What I don't like about fandom is that most of it uses the characters. I don't like that. I'd prefer a Harry Potter fandom that just takes place in the same world and same place, and that's it. Not all the same characters.

I think the biggest cliché is the character who's name is something like Tiffany-Juliette-Esmeralda van Ravenstone. Her hair is blonde like the sun, her eyes are blue/green like the sky/grass and her skin has the color of a doll made of porcelain. She's shy and so beautiful that the male character completely desires her, but everyone else is bullying her. The boy immediately falls in love with her and she falls in love with him and the role play ends after they had sex the first time.

It's the typical (fanfiction) role play plot, lol. I personally like to role play about fandoms and stars and stuff, but only with a good plot and not that 08/15 thing.

Archie said:
Everyone being gorgeous and white
Finding someone not handsome while using Google Images or tumblr is like winning the lottery.

Someone being emotionless for no reason at all. Like shit, man, how do you even want to RP that? They don't smile, they don't cry, it's always like RPing with a wall. Usually coupled with unnecessarily long names and a tragic, shitty backstory.

StoneWolf18 said:
Mmmm, I have three others.
Using a fandom cannon character in a roleplay that's specifically not a fandom roleplay. This really pisses me off, when someone either just uses the character in its entirety or changes little thinks like the name. I don't like using cannon to begin with but this is just disgusting to see.

The despised, using your username as the characters name. I mean, I could see a few special areas where this is actually specified, but if not, are you really that desperate? Seriously, what the hell, we aren't LARPing.

And finally, acting In-Character when in the OOC. Is that really necessary?
"What's so bad about that?" Riuma Potter asked sarcastically.

Reading this so you know what not to do. Great.

This has probably been mentioned multiple times, and yet I will say it again.

One of my main pet peeves is when there are even genders in a roleplay, and yet all the females flock to one male.

It's almost terrifying - they're like mad seagulls trying to fall in love and this poor guy is just trying to eat his lunch. All the other guys are left hanging out at the Loner's club - it ain't fun. They're supposed to be on a fun school camp, not mating season. [This was on another site, seeing as I'm quite new here.]

Another one would be when the roleplay starts and everyone would either run off in opposite directions, or all somehow manage to meet in the same place. Then you have people literally racing to grab the 'best characters' to interact with, while on the other hand you have people complaining ooc that they have no one to talk to. Who told you to run into the woods at night? Surely you didn't have to go swimming on the opposite side of the island?

Or when someone just has their character walking around in the hopes of magically running into someone. You're going to be walking for quite some time, but hey - you might bump into someone who's also walking in the middle of nowhere!

Throane said:
Or when someone just has their character walking around in the hopes of magically running into someone. You're going to be walking for quite some time, but hey - you might bump into someone who's also walking in the middle of nowhere!
I've done this when it makes sense for the character to be there, and it's important for them to be there. Usually on my other forum you get left behind if you don't follow the main plot. This isn't with all roleplays there - only with the GMs who have a negative bias towards what they may consider "inactive characters".

Last edited by a moderator:
Riuma said:
I've done this when it makes sense for the character to be there, and it's important for them to be there. Usually on my other forum you get left behind if you don't follow the main plot. This isn't with all roleplays there - only with the GMs who have a negative bias towards what they may consider "inactive characters".
I mean for myself to be reading this - so I know what not to do, I thought it might be helpful to see what people dislike. I was going to add a hashtag, but my humour sucks. I'm sorry if that was offensive.

I also have my character walking alone at times and all - I completely agree with that, it is important for the plot. It's when people are literally hinting that they are waiting to run into someone that annoys me at times, and often it's one-liners when it comes to that. I feel like it kills the roleplay when people aren't being somewhat active, which is when they get left behind.

Throane said:
Another one would be when the roleplay starts and everyone would either run off in opposite directions, or all somehow manage to meet in the same place. Then you have people literally racing to grab the 'best characters' to interact with, while on the other hand you have people complaining ooc that they have no one to talk to. Who told you to run into the woods at night? Surely you didn't have to go swimming on the opposite side of the island?
Hoo boy, this one has popped up for me a lot. It is as if when faced with people taking initiative and starting their own events and conversations, rather than doing the same and making their own groups, they latch on to the current group and make things more awkward. Every single time.

There was one guy who had his character intrude and eavesdrop on an extremely private conversation between two other characters, with no understanding about how ridiculous it was for someone to do that. If a complete stranger interjected in a REALLY private conversation between you and a friend, what would you think of that? Get mad? Be freaked out? I would probably do both!

Throane said:
This has probably been mentioned multiple times, and yet I will say it again.

One of my main pet peeves is when there are even genders in a roleplay, and yet all the females flock to one male.

It's almost terrifying - they're like mad seagulls trying to fall in love and this poor guy is just trying to eat his lunch. All the other guys are left hanging out at the Loner's club - it ain't fun. They're supposed to be on a fun school camp, not mating season. [This was on another site, seeing as I'm quite new here.]

Trust me, when it's one or more females characters, it's the same thing, a guy want to eat, walk in peace, and BAM! stalked without end.

honestly, i can't stand the perfect females characters at all, it's always "they are beautifull but shy, and had a crush on a guy, blah blah blah!", or the over-powered ones..

many can't stand one-liners, but me, it's the one-words ones, nothing more but "ok", no action, no discussion, just a *insert character name* "ok", my biggest pet-peevees, for me, it's not fun, it gives no motivation to continue.. it's annoying..

the *insert evil kids* kill their nice parents for nothing, just because they are evil, what the heck is that?!

that ladies and gentlemen, it was my list of the most seeing cliches.

Ah, here's another one from a different site:

The sad ones.

Now I'm definitely one for drama. Who doesn't like some in their story? But there is often a certain type of character in a roleplay who is the most unfortunate person in the world. Their parents are dead, they have no friends, they're teased at school and their trust has been broken so many times that they will probably never find love again.

And so they are left shy and anti-social - but if only there was someone to talk to!

Did I mention they were abused before their parents died, the orphanage kicked them out in the streets and they were cheated on with their best friend? Don't tell, but they have a crush on the popular person at school. But they will never be noticed.

And no one is going to be there for their 16th birthday - which is tomorrow.

There are literally roleplays with rules like 'no depressing characters' on the site now.

Throane said:
Ah, here's another one from a different site:
The sad ones.

Now I'm definitely one for drama. Who doesn't like some in their story? But there is often a certain type of character in a roleplay who is the most unfortunate person in the world. Their parents are dead, they have no friends, they're teased at school and their trust has been broken so many times that they will probably never find love again.

And so they are left shy and anti-social - but if only there was someone to talk to!

Did I mention they were abused before their parents died, the orphanage kicked them out in the streets and they were cheated on with their best friend? Don't tell, but they have a crush on the popular person at school. But they will never be noticed.

And no one is going to be there for their 16th birthday - which is tomorrow.

There are literally roleplays with rules like 'no depressing characters' on the site now.
And then they turn out to be the chosen one, who is the only person who can defeat the villain. For some reason.

Username said:
And then they turn out to be the chosen one, who is the only person who can defeat the villain. For some reason.
Don't forget that they are related to the villian and were seperated at birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back