Robotech: UEEF Saga

The gun pod works in all environments, including underwater and in space. There is no further range increment; the 4,000 foot range is a top end for the weapon. The +11 sounds about right for a Strike bonus with a ranged attack.

Hmm, so I would have .34 second to fire all my shots between getting into range with my gun to blowing past it?

You are only on action/attack number 1, and you have computer control and targeting aiding you in your shot. Once everyone has had a chance to perform their first action, we move on to the second one where the Zentraedi pilots are going to be dropping their speed down even more and circling around to continue to engage.

So how far away from us are they, and by how much can we change our speed per turn?

They are closing in fast enough that for the first attack they are going to be in range of all your weapons for the first pass. As far as speed changes, you can hit the brakes a little bit at a time or do an emergency stop that uses the thrusters of the attached Beta to blast in reverse. That will bring you to a full stop, but requires a piloting skill roll to keep in control of the Veritech as you slow so dramatically.

Full stop in regards to what? The battle pods, the Raven, their battle ship? We're in space, we need to establish anchors to the reference frames.

Also, how many attacks do I make per turn?

At first level, you have five attacks per turn outside your mecha. At your level, you add one additional attack for a total of six. Finally, being next to the Raven (within 800 miles of it) gives an additional +1, for a grand total of 7. Look at the top of your combat stats on your sheet to see your base attacks, and at the bottom of the Alpha write-up for the bonuses gained from MECT.

Full stop would mean you go from your current Mach 8 speed to near zero, and the Fighter Pods will still maintain their own velocity of (currently) Mach 12. In either case, you have one action as you are closing in to fire a weapon of choice at a target before you and the Zentraedi will have to circle around to get back in range of one another to reengage. If you were to hit the emergency stop, you'll have to start accelerating once more to get up to combat speed.

Unfortunately, I lack the skills needed to make maps on the fly or I would post one showing your position in regards to the Raven, Fighter Pods, the Destroyer and one another.

Ok... The two groups are closing at ~7 klicks per second. Given we're in a micro gravity enviroment and there isn't an atmosphere or an orbit to keep, how is full stop anything short of matching speed with the battle pods?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Palladium rules engine is not a simulationist engine that could be used with miniatures and a map. Things like matching velocity, relative stops and such add narrative flair but they're not otherwise modeled by hard-and-fast rules. Just a combination of common sense and epic action with spaceships that can transform into robots.

Speaking for myself, I plan to detach from Beebe's Alpha, pop a few missiles as I fly by one of the fighter pods for my first melee attack and see what the landscape looks like for the second round of attacks. Give it a try and I suspect after a fight or two, you'll fall into the swing of things. :)

Don't forget that this is using anime physics. A lot of what you want to do can be achieved because of that.

Since I don't want this game to stall with what should be a simple encounter, we are moving on. @Silanon is now up, and when @vinom is ready to post IC, he can.

Orderof battle:

22 - Jedidiah (delay)

21 - Miu <====

17 - fighter pods 1-2

15 - Dana

12 - fighter pods 3-4

10 - Beebe

6 - Neqel

The moment both veritechs detached from each other, Miu slowed down for a split second to avoid a collision - then the path was clear. Aiming for the left-most Zentraedi on her screen, she picked up speed, trying to get as close as possible. Permanently performing small shifts in direction to make her flight path less predictable, she closed in. And finally, the distance was small enough to pull the trigger.

"Crimson-2 here, opening fire."

The moment when 18 high-explosive mini-missiles got released and shot forward like a shoal of fish in the Pacific Ocean felt special. During all those years since she had stood in front of her parents' demolished house, seeing everything she had cared about blown up by the attackers, she had prepared for this very moment. This was not a simulation, or some kind of training mission. No, this was a real fight, face to face with the ones that had killed billions of innocent, helpless people. Her parents, her brother, her friends - even if she hadn't decided to join the forces before the orbital bombardment, there had been no other choice after the massacre. Where others celebrated their birthday with those who were left, she had waited in front of the recruiting station two hours early to make sure she didn't miss the opening hours. Finally, all her preparation paid off - after years of shooting target dummies, Miu Ueno was striking back.

[Note: Number of missiles might get adjusted, see the question in the OOC]

[Does the Raven bonus apply to missiles? If so, then add +2 as well.]

[dice]24057[/dice]

Adjust the missiles to whatever number you wish.

Jedidiah nudged the joystick, Spinning closer on path to the incoming pods while Mui spun away. "Crimson-1, entering blockade position." He intoned over the radio as his craft changed to guardian mode. He was directly between the incoming pods and the Raven when he saw 18 signals on his hud, Crimson-2's missle's streaking toward them. "Employing Häyhä Measure." He intoned.

During the simulations, he had drilled certain tactics, both orthodox and unorthodox. This particular one was named after a WWII sniper, from his recorded kill hitting a German soldier's grenade while they were throwing it. He exhaled, and lined up the sights on his pulse beam cannon. Light was the fastest thing around, far faster then the missiles. He aimed down toward the foes. The instant they would attempt to shoot down the incoming missiles, he would shoot directly at their weapon... it should detonate and aid Miu's barrage in savaging the battle pods.

[dice]24058[/dice]

The Zentraedi shot forward at high speed, but your targeting commuters are able to track on the enemy. Missiles are armed, and they slam into the first two Gnerl fighter pods and blot them out of the sky.

Dana decides to use her gun pod on the enemy. A spray of explosive shells fly out and rip into the armor of the fighter pod, doing heavy damage. The fighter is still active.

The remaining two fighters open up their missile bays and launch a six pack of short range missiles, each one aiming at a different Alpha/Beta linked pair.

These missiles will hit, and since there are more than four in the salvo, you cannot dodge them. You have two options: one is to have one of the linked fighters to use their defensive chaff and flares. They give a 75% chance to confuse the missiles off course. The second option is to try to shoot them down. This uses up an action, but right now you have plenty. Using guns vs missiles gives you a 45% chance to have a cascade effect and wipe the entire volley out. Missile vs missile gives you a 75% chance to take them all out. You do not have enough time to do both, so you'll have to choose which one to try.

@BeebeTheWarrior goes next

Order of battle:

22 - Jedidiah [1]

21 - Miu [1]

15 - Dana [1]

12 - fighter pods 3 [1] damaged

12 - fighter pod 4 [1]

10 - Beebe <====

6 - Neqel

Jedidiah boosts backwards, staying between the fighterpods and the Raven, but moving closer to the allied vessel. He detaches on of the mini missiles in his armaments, letting it drift at it's velocity as he moves away. His finger was on the button to detonate it, waiting for the enemy missiles to line up with it... He couldn't afford to scuff the paint on his Alpha before the real show began.

[dice]24079[/dice]

Noticing the missiles shooting towards us i quickly detached Neqal "Crimson 3 to crimson 4 do you read" he asked getting ready to launch missiles"i'm getting ready to engage a attack" then Clicking a few buttons I launched the missiles

[dice]24085[/dice]

[dice]24086[/dice]

3LT Neqel Amherst

The Zentraedi pilot thumbs her squad radio on and says, "Crimson 4, I've got your back Crimson 3!"

Given her Alpha partner was using missiles vs. missiles, Neqel opted for a swift series of short bursts from her gunpod, tracking ahead of Beebe's defensive fire in hopes of splashing a missile or two in case his failed to lock on the incoming.

Then she put her Beta Veritech into a slow leftwards turn, throttling back the engagement speed they'd used to intercept the fighter pods. Neqel's ship couldn't hope to match the sheer maneuverability of an Alpha but she could line up a firing solution to splash a pod or two while the Alpha took up its attention.

The missiles launched by the two Alphas along with the gun pod fire from Neqel blast the two volleys of Zentraedi missiles into dust just as the two Fighter Pods shoot post you at high speed. They throttle back and start to circle around for another pass.

The Raven is doing its best to throw out a electronic web to confuse and block the radio signals from the fighters. "We are jamming across the board, but we need to get closer to the destroyer to identify it. Eta to scan completion is thirty seconds then we are out of here. Hold them off just a little longer." True to their word, the EW ship turns and advances closer to the destroyer, heedless of any danger to them, trusting in the pilots of Crimson Squad to keep them safe.

@vinom is up next

Order of battle:

22 - Jedidiah [1] <====

21 - Miu [1]

15 - Dana [1]

12 - fighter pod 4 [1]

10 - Beebe [1]

6 - Neqel [1]

Jedidiah worked the joystick and his Alpha's computer like a pro. He shoots away from the fighter pods at maximum burn, but he too is arching. He has plotted his interception with their maneuver well, and the computer is compensating for the minor movements of the Fighter Pods. With a lurge, he switches to Battloid mode, still firing his jets. He weaponizes all the Alpha's inertia, aiming to slam into the damage craft, and divert it into it's ally, making them one juicy target for Miu to finish off.

[Flying Leap Kick... hopefully]

[dice]24093[/dice]

The evasive Zentraedi units are able to bob and weave around enough to keep from getting hit by Jedidiah's kick. But, they are lining up well for Miu to try and engage with her weapons.

Any roll of 1-4 is a automatic miss, that's what happened there.

Order of battle:

22 - Jedidiah [2]

21 - Miu [1] <====

15 - Dana [1]

12 - fighter pod 4 [1]

10 - Beebe [1]

6 - Neqel [1]

3rd LT Miu Ueno

Seeing the battle pods explode didn't feel as special as she had expected. Of course, the detonations were way flashier than the animations in the simulators, but other than that, everything was almost the same. There was no sign that there were living beings in them, only steel that got torn apart by the missiles. "Two down", Miu announced before turning around her Beta in a smooth curve until it faced both her enemies and the approaching Raven. With the Zentraedi focusing on the others, she was free to engage once more, with the enemies lining up perfectly with her flight path thanks to the Lieutenant's attack. Knowing that the Alphas with their mobility were better suited for dogfighting, she decided to leave that to them, only diving into the heat to empty another missile pod at the first enemy coming in sight. Before she even saw the six missiles slamming into the armor, Miu had already speeded up, preparing for another attack if the rest of the squad didn't finish things in time.

[dice]24100[/dice]

Miu's target is blasted from the sky as the six pack of missiles slam into it, leaving just the last damaged fighter pod left.

Dana gives a grim smile as she lines up a final shot on the last fighter, squeezing off a pair of short range missiles. Despite the best efforts of the Zentraedi pilot, the final target has both missiles hit. Its already compromised armor is not enough to handle the impact and the pod is blotted from the sky. "Yeah! That's the last one! Raven-2, we are clear of targets, get in there and scan for our people!"

The recon ship powers on, turning to fly parallel with the destroyer. "Scan in progress. Data feed to the MacArthur is good. Scan complete. This is not, I say again not the ship with the prisoners in it. Raven-2 is ready to get out of here."

Dana calls out, "Raven-2, I just happen to have eight Reflex Missiles on my wings that are looking for a target. If I launch from here, can you guide them in? My radar doesn't have a good lock-on to the destroyer at this range."

"Affirmative. Launch your birds and we'll provide tracking data for them."

She spins her Valkyrie around to point her nose at the Zentraedi cruiser. "Firing two at a time. Clean release. Next two. Same. Five and six away. Now my last pair. Ok, my wings are clear. Lets boost."

Jedidiah hears the chatter, that they have found one vessel not holding their allies. "Aim those missiles at their propulsion systems.If the vessel holds together, we want to at least be assured it won't be popping in when we're dealing with another Destroyer." He commands, as he presses a few buttons, his system syncing with Crimson-2, putting her in charge of docking the pair of them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back