Robotech - Tales of the RDF

Eadric Braidwood, Field Scientist

"Nice shot, Barbara!" he calls over the radio.  His previous target down, he switches to hers, the last remaining Spartan, and fires both laser cannons.  With luck, that would take out the Spartan and the team could shift focus to something else.

Eadric's target tries to dodge, but the lack of training shows as it does little more than stumble around as it gets slammed by the twin blasts.  It is still up, but smoking from many holes in its armor.

The Commanchero continues to press the attack, firing both its autocannons and missile pods into the tanks and APCs below.  Against the slow moving, lightly armored targets, it is causing massive damage.

The tanks and APCs return fire, some scoring some good hits on the chopper.  It will be a close battle; will the ground units take down the flyer before they are all wiped out themselves?

Doug is still busy, locked into battle with two Tomahawks.  Still too far away for missiles, he begins to close in and targets the damaged one with another dual blast of the particle cannons.

@Epiphany is up with Zaile

Initiative order

Connor [3]

Taniya [3]

Barbara [2]

Eadric [2]

Cobra flight [3]

Tanks 3-4 [2]

APCs [2]

Doug [3]

Zaile [1] <====

Spartan 3 [2] badly damaged

Tomahawk 1 [2] seriously damaged

Tomahawk 2 [1]

Corporal Zaile Alencar

Taniya's orders still rang in the blue-haired woman's ears.  Focus fire on the Spartans until they were all demolished.  The battle against the Tomahawks was far from won; it was tempting to engage them instead and make victory certain.  But orders were orders.  The Imperative brooked no disobedience.  

Zaile pulls the triggers on her particle beam cannons, intent on wiping out that last Spartan.  

Zaile manages to hit the third Spartan and disabled it easily.

The two Tomahawks continue to duke it out with Doug. They fire their cannons at him, but the RDF pilot shoes his training by dodging.

@Beowulf is up next

Initiative order

Connor [3] <====

Taniya [3]

Barbara [2]

Eadric [2]

Cobra flight [3]

Tanks 3-4 [2]

APCs [2]

Doug [4]

Zaile [2]

Tomahawk 1 [2] seriously damaged

Tomahawk 2 [1]

"Targeting the damaged Tomahawk." Connor radioed in as the last Spartan was destroyed. This way of fighting, picking the enemy apart one by one, and with such terrifying efficiency, was going pretty good. They should do this more often. The only ones taking a real beating were the Commancheros, and that was because they were being shot at by the Tomahawks, tanks, and apcs.

Connor fires, and the spray of bullets fly out. With the extreme range, it gives the entry pilot just enough time to jump out of the way.

@Dannigan is up next

Initiative order

Connor [4] 

Taniya [3] <====

Barbara [2]

Eadric [2]

Cobra flight [3]

Tanks 3-4 [2]

APCs [2]

Doug [4]

Zaile [2]

Tomahawk 1 [3] seriously damaged

Tomahawk 2 [1]

Staff Sergeant Taniya

As the Meltrandi ace conquered the incoming flight of a dozen missiles, she allowed herself a grin of satisfaction.  "McKinley, that is how it is done, my Red Panda.  If the wind is blowing your way, that is."*  Taniya enjoyed the explosions and falling debris for but a moment, then she returned to the nasty business of annihilating their foes.

As the last Spartan fell, Taniya gave a toothy smile.  "Very good work, squadmates.  Now, Zaile, Braidwood.  Destroy the enemy tanks and the APC while you close the distance toward those Tomahawks.  Dorsey, Tolson, McKinley, as with the Spartans go the Tomahawks - target the damaged one first.  Watch out for new opponents."  Then she added.  "Leave none alive that do not come out of their machines with their hands raised in surrender."

To the Cobra Flight, she said.  "Red Panda leader to Cobra leader.  Some of mine are now engaging your targets.  If your units are damaged, get behind my Beast and use me as cover.  I would see that you return to base both victorious and alive."

Then, she changed course toward the tanks and APCS on her way toward the Tomahawks.  Targeting the most-damaged of them all, she loosed both of her large particle beam cannons upon the vehicle.

Over the radio, Taniya challenged them one last time with fire and soul in her voice.  "Enemies of the RDF!  Exit your machines with your hands raised or suffer like never before!  Woe to you who defy us, for you face the Red Panda Squadron!"

(Spoiler for Beo)

Or in out-of-character terms, if the dice are rolling nicely for you...  =)

Taniya sees a hapless APC that is close to destruction that her attack finishes off.  There are only two of the troop carriers left, along with the tanks.

Barbara throttles forward to close in a bit more to the damaged mecha, then fires off a burst from her autocannons.  The shells don't do much damage, but the little that she does do is just enough to shut down the damaged Tomahawk.  She lets out a 'yip' of pleasure as the massive mecha topples over.  "Did you see that?!?  I got em!  Ha!"

@Kaerri is up next

Initiative order

Connor [4] 

Taniya [4]

Barbara [3]

Eadric [2] <====

Cobra flight [3]

Tanks 3-4 [2]

APCs [2]

Doug [4]

Zaile [2]

Tomahawk 2 [1]

Eadric smiles at Barbara's exuberance.  "Well done, Barbara!"  He sent his own Spartan quickly toward the remaining Tomahawk, meanwhile targeting either the most damaged tank or, if they're un-hit thus far, the nearest, with the laser cannon mounted on his right shoulder.  Taniya had given him (and Zaile) a choice of tanks or APC, but Eadric preferred to destroy machinery rather than people, if possible.  Yes, there were good odds the tank's crew were all about to die, but there were likely fewer of them than there were passengers in the APC.  At least, he hoped so.  With luck, those in the APC would see reason and surrender before Eadric had to fire on them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eadric is able to finish off a damaged tank, leaving just one of the armored units left, along with the two APCs.

The last of the Commencheros peels off and accelerates away, taking Taniya's advice to heart. "Red Pandas, we are out of here. We've already called for a recovery chopper for out downed crew in the other bird. Probably a couple of em, with some infantry to help handle any prisoners. Good luck on your last targets!"

Speaking of targets, the two APCs are making a run for it, bolting off to the east away from the ravine and the fighting.

Dorsey continues to advance on the other Tomahawk. He calls out, "I'm getting some damage, but nothing I can't take for a bit more. I'll just need to get that last mecha taken out with a quickness." He keeps on firing his cannons, even as they cycle down to cool for a few moments. His attack hits the enemy with a solid blast.

@Epiphany is up

Initiative order

Connor [4] 

Taniya [4]

Barbara [3]

Eadric [3] 

Cobra flight [3] withdrawing

Tank 4 [3]

APCs [2] withdrawing

Doug [5]

Zaile [2] <====

Tomahawk 2 [1] damaged

Corporal Zaile Alencar

How quickly the tactical situation changed.  It'd been a lopsided battle from the start but the Red Pandas had the rest of their targets well in hand.  Those APCs however couldn't be allowed to withdraw.  Most of the mecha were proper RDF machines, and made for stand up fighting, not chasing down vehicles designed for rapid transport.  Thankfully, her retrofitted Officer's Pod had options theirs didn't.

Zaile jumps her Pod towards the APC and hits her jet thrusters, giving voice a full throated roar as the mech's flight system rapidly accelerates her ahead, shoving her body back in her chair.  The Pod had a top flight speed of 330 miles per hour.  In a matter of five seconds, she could cross the several miles between herself and the fleeing APCs before they got too far from the rest of her unit.

Landing her mech in their path, Zaile flips on her mecha's speakers.  "Insurgents, this is the Red Panda RDFSquadron.  You have ten seconds to shut down your engines and exit your vehicle before I open fire.  You may notice the barrels of these particle cannons are the exact size of  your entire vehicle.  That means when I shoot, there won't even be debris, just atomized motes.  Your time is up so do the smart thing.  Get out, put your hands behind your back and lie down on the ground.  Now!"

When Zaile lands in front of the APCs, they skid to a sudden stop.  You can almost hear the scared looks that they are trading back and forth before one of the vehicles kicks on the external speakers and says in broken English, "Don't shoot!  We'll power down and surrender!"  Both the top hatch and the rear doors open on both the armored vehicles and men begin to slowly come out, unarmed and with their hands up.

The damaged Tomahawk shouts something over the radio in an angry voice, but it is not in a language you understand.  It charges forward, then plants its feet and opens up both its shoulder missile racks and launches all twenty four missiles in its payload!  They fly out towards Doug with murderous intent. 

Doug calls out, "Firing chaff!  I hope this works!" 

Connor has enough time to fire a burst into the missile swarm before they hit; you might be able to take out a few before impact.

@Beowulf is up.

Initiative order

Connor [4] <====

Taniya [4]

Barbara [3]

Eadric [3] 

Tank 4 [3]

APCs [2] withdrawing

Doug [5]

Zaile [3]

Tomahawk 2 [3] damaged

'Damn it.' Connor thought as he fired air bursts into the missile swarm. There was a lot of them, and to be honest he wasn't sure how many he'd manage to take out. All he did know was that if all of them were to land, then Doug wouldn't. Someone else would have to deal with the Tomahawk and tanks, he had to get Doug out alive.

A massive explosion rips through the air as Connor's shells air burst in the middle of the missiles. Most of the incoming warheads are destroyed, leaving only six missiles left. With Doug firing off his chaff, the final few missiles are confused and explode in a semi circle around the Tomahawk. 

@Dannigan is up next

Initiative order

Connor [5] 

Taniya [4] <====

Barbara [3]

Eadric [3] 

Tank 4 [3]

APCs [2] surrendering

Doug [5]

Zaile [3]

Tomahawk 2 [3] damaged

Staff Sergeant Taniya

"Exemplary teamwork, McKinley," Taniya nodded her approval.  "Dorsey?  I believe you owe McKinley a cold beer or whatever it is you male humans do to express appreciation?"  She could not think of a fitting word, though among humans there likely was one.  What was the term they used when two male humans got along very well?  "Bro-mance?"  She shrugged, unsure.  Then, unable to think of the word, she let the thought die.

The last of the Commencheros peels off and accelerates away, taking Taniya's advice to heart. "Red Pandas, we are out of here. We've already called for a recovery chopper for out downed crew in the other bird. Probably a couple of em, with some infantry to help handle any prisoners. Good luck on your last targets!"

"Copy all, Cobra flight.  Fly well home.  I say your gallantry in battle has done your human ancestors proud this day."

Taniya flew out toward the remaining Tomahawk.  She had warned these fools enough; now she was out of words for them.  The only motions she had left for such as these were found in her trigger fingers.  Manipulating her controls of The Beast, she flew strong and high making herself a clear target for the Tomahawk, for the more fire she drew, the less Dorsey might have to endure.  

On her way toward the Tomahawk, she glanced down through her cockpit at the remaining tank.  She lined up her targeting reticles on the armored vehicle and let go with her largest twin particle beam cannons as if it were an afterthought.  She saw that the tank's crew apparently wished to fight to the end - well, she figured, who was this Meltrandi Ace to deny them their desired date with death?

A somewhat shaken Dorsey nods in reply.  "Yes, ma'am!  I plan on setting up Connor with the liquor of his choice and getting quite drunk with him.  Thanks for the assist, bud!"

Taniya's twin beams burn into the lone tank on the savanna, lighting its ordinance on fire and causing a catastrophic kill as the turret of the vehicle is blown nearly a hundred feet straight up into the air on a pillar of fire.  Needless to say, this tank is toast.

With her cannons blazing, Barbara fires off a long burst of her tungsten penetrator rounds into the chest of the last Tomahawk.  Large chunks of armor are blown off as the shells bite deep into the captured mecha, but the inherent toughness of the old RDF mecha is evident in the fact that it is still active, but just barely.

@Kaerri is up next

Initiative order

Connor [5] 

Taniya [5]

Barbara [4]

Eadric [3] <====

APCs [2] surrendering

Doug [5]

Zaile [3]

Tomahawk 2 [3] critically damaged

Eadric smiled, seeing the surrenders across the battlefield.  He honestly hadn't expected any, much less two APCs' worth, but he was certainly glad to see them, for both the professional reasons he'd mentioned earlier and the personal ones he hadn't.  His smile vanished, then reappeared bigger than before in contrast to the appearance and disappearance of the missiles headed for Dorsey.  "Well done, Connor!"  But the battle wasn't yet over, and Eadric turned his attention to the lone but still dangerous remaining foe.  His shoulder-mounted laser cannons were still on cooldown*, but he had a few other options.  If the enemy Tomahawk was in sufficient range, he aimed his looted Zentraedi particle-assault rifle at it; if the range was too far, he used his rocket launchers instead, in a volley of 6.

*I'm assuming we're still in the same melee round, and he's already fired each twice.

The range is far enough that you are needing to use your missiles. The six fly out at high speed, and despite a valiant effort of counter fire with the gun clusters, five of the missiles slam into the damaged Tomahawk, doing massive damage that bores through even the reinforced pilot compartment and kills the pilot in a catastrophic blast. 

With the last of the destroids out of the match, the last of the enemy soldiers lose what little will that they had to fight with. 

Moving out of combat time.

Barbara calls in a status report to the base, detailing the good work done by all, and requesting some air support to create away the prisoners. Under the watchful eyes of the squad, the handful of light infantry and the few pilots of the disabled mecha are gathered up.  A flight of helicopters are being scrambled to bring the prisoners back to the naval base. They will be on site in ten minutes.

What do you do in the meantime?

Corporal Zaile Alencar

The Zentraedi looks down upon the surrendered soldiers on the ground below and hums thoughtfully.  Then she flips on her squad radio, addresses Sergeant Taniya and says "Sir?  I'd like to recommend the Micronian film 'Judge Dredd' as an instructional supplement for Zentraedi crowd control operations in the future.  It seems to work very well."

Staff Sergeant Taniya

Taniya landed The Beast in a way that menaced the prisoners in such a way as to warn them against bad behavior (a low fly-by followed by an earth-shaking hard landing near them).  If she saw any personal armaments upon their persons, she made a point to them, especially if they were male, with one of The Beast's auto-cannons aimed at them.  "Disarm.  Slowly.  For mine is bigger than yours."  

She also kept an eye out on her electronics for any other surprises.

She replied to Zaile on on the squad channel.  "For Zentraedi crowd control operations, you say?  Elaborate, Zaile.  As always, you have my curiosity."  This was ever true.  Zaile was compassionate while Taniya remained uncertain of what the word meant.  "Is this 'judge' film taken from the human practice of law?  I have seen their boring and petty courtrooms, silly arguments, and 'drama' once on television - simply watching it was punishment for any warrior.  If memory serves, the human judge's name was Judy.  It was awful."

Corporal Zaile Alencar

"...I think I said that wrong.  We both know the Zentraedi don't normally have crowd control operations.  Our crowds control themselves.  Enemy crowds are controlled with missiles."

"However, Micronian psychology is bewildering and we're not always supposed to use lethal force against them.  Judge Dredd appears to be an exemplary Micronian Judge, however, in compelling the behavior of lawbreakers into surrendering.  Those that don't are naturally executed of course.  I haven't watched their courtrooms or their drama, however.  Perhaps Micronian Judges with stationary assignments operate under different rules than those allowed to dispense justice on the streets?  I don't know this Judy but Dredd tolerated no silly arguments and his judgments were never boring.  Paraphrasing his quotes led these Micronians to stand down, after all, so he's clearly an effective Judge.  Perhaps she's his subordinate and is still learning?"

Barbara laughs. "I've never heard of Judge Judy being used as a Zentraedi torture device, but I can't say I disagree. She is one cranky old bitty, and I've never understood why people would want to watch her at all. Hey! Move away from that pile of weapons or I'm going to unleash a whole can of whoop ass on you! Taniya, I'm tracking for helos inbound from Carson, eta ten minutes. Looks like two Commenchero gunships and two Sea Sergeant transports, moving in at about 150 mph. Transponder codes are verified as current. Looks like our prisoners are being picked up in style."

Doug continues to keep watch. "Ma'am? Once we turn over the prisoners, I'd like to investigate that ravine that the two Tomahawks were hiding in. There might be some clues as to what they were doing if we move quick."

Staff Sergeant Taniya

"Zaile, you are missing nothing but wasted time in watching human courtrooms.  As for Judge Judy and Judge Dredd, they sound as if they have painfully little in common.  She is as boring as fighting a weakling who thinks himself great; he appears to be more efficient and pragmatic."  As they spoke, she also thought about of the practical use of The Beast's thrusters as motivation toward any problematic prisoners.  While she mused on this, she continued.  

"Provide to me some examples of the aforementioned paraphrasing?  I would hear how this judge of yours motivates."

Taniya listened as Tolson reported.  "Copy all, Tolson."  She aimed and flared up one of her thrusters above the head of the prisoner who Tolson had addressed until they felt the heat from The Beast's own engines.  Then she addressed the Red Panda Squadron.

"Dorsey, your curiosity mirrors my own.  Red Pandas, Zaile and I shall remain until the prisoners are fully contained then we will fly and reunite with you.  McKinley, Tolson, Braidwood, Dorsey - investigate the ravine, reporting any additional hostiles.  Inform me when the area is secure and of your findings.  Move out."

For Zaile and Taniya, the next several minutes go by slow as Barbara, Connor, Eadric, and Doug all head over to investigate the ravine.  The prisoners under the eye of the two Officer Pods all sit in a small group, occasionally talking to one another, but no one tries to make any effort to escape, get to the abandoned vehicles, or to get to a weapon.  They were beaten, and all fight has gone out of them.

The others move forward at a good speed, with no contacts on your radar in the immediate area.  Once you get to the base of the ravine, you can see a massive set of blast doors, easily large enough for any of the RDF Destroids to walk through, even the legendary Monster.  With the doors sealed shut, it will take a sizeable amount of firepower to breech them.  From the angle of the walls of the ravine and the size of the doors, they are well protected from air or long range missile strikes.  Barbara takes a ton of both still pictures and videos of the doors from multiple angles, sending the images back to Taniya and Zaile to look at and back to the Command Tower at Carson Naval Base. 

As the four helicopters approach, they radio ahead to make sure that they were approaching a safe LZ and that they wouldn't be the target of friendly fire from a trigger happy Destroid pilot.  Even so, the two gunships come in first, fast and low, and circle around to take a look at the place before giving the 'all clear' for the Sea Sergeants to come in and land.  From each transport, a dozen armed marines come out, led by a powerfully built black man that towers over the rest of the men in his platoon.  He stands back and watches as his team go and frisk each person before restraining them in zip cuffs and shackled together at the ankle. 

He turns to face the two Destroids and offers up a salute that covers each of you.  "Lt. Taniya, I am Master Sergeant Oroke, and I am here to take custody of your prisoners."

Users who are viewing this thread