Experiences Reverse roleplay horror stories

Sludge

-
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Ta-dum-dum.

So roleplay communities like to talk about rpg horror stories, right? Over the years I've seen a lot of threads where people describe their bad rp experiences: players and gms being mean, creepy, uncooperative and everything in between.

And sometimes it makes me wonder, what about the other viewpoint? Would the other person, the supposed problematic player, tell a different story where they are the victim? There is no way to know if the op is really innocent.

Maybe this is not so much relevant here as it is on, say, reddit, where one post might be complaining about a player being an annoying rule lawyer and then another post right under it complaining about a DM changing rules on the fly.

So I'm curious, have you ever seen someone post a horror story that you knew was lies?

So the closest I have come to this is on Gaia. They had a roleplay pet peeve thread that I posted in after being denied a place on a roleplay.

What had happen is I asked in the interest check if I could join, some random person said no, and I responded that I would like to hear from the GM specifically about whether or not I could join.

Well turns out random person was besties with the GM and an unofficial mod of the roleplay. I say unofficial because they were not listed in any of the information on the interest check OR main thread. So literally no way for a newcomer like me to know this random person had any kind of authority.

I posted on the pet peeves about the situation. Something to the effect of it making me mad when a GM lets their besties run rough shod over the roleplayers just cuz their friends.

Now I didn’t name names but literally these people posted directly below me saying how I was lying about what went down and how I shouldn’t bad mouth people and the whole idea of a pet peeve thread was toxic bullshit that made good role players look bad.

Keeping in mind I didn’t mention them by name. So they basically just stalked me to a random thread on another forum and threw a conniption fit for no reason.

So I can’t say I ever seen people lie directly, but I have seen people who get very sensitive about specific topics to the extent that it’s obvious they did the activity being called out and they feel attacked by the peeve.

100%. This goes on a lot in MMORPG rp. There's always a few people per community that talk about how horrible everyone they've ever rped with is like, and much like 'all my exes were crazy', it should usually scare you a little.

One I remember in particular, was a woman who swore up and down that she had been kicked from a group after saying she was bi. I was friends with that group leader, who had put in discord DMs between them and troublemaker in which troublemaker had been caught metagaming, and was thus removed from the group. It was put with the caveat of 'i don't usually show DMs but i'm pretty sure she's going to try to come after me'. Boy did she.

Mmm... Well I did have a RP with one person once. It never got past the planning stage because I was seriously socially anxious at the time and I wound up ghosting under the pressure. Of course, not my proudest of moments, but it is what it is.

I pretty much assumed that this person really hated me from that point on, for whatever reason. Again, socially anxious, kind of self-deprecating at the time. I avoided them wherever I went.

Years later, I had gained myself some confidence and had basically forgotten about the experience. One day, though, it popped up in my head, and out of a LOT of boredom I went to go see if I could find some closure. Whether they were angry or not towards my ghosting, I didn't particularly care anymore, but I'd at least sate my curiosity and know for certain if my worry from back then was even slightly justified.

Now, I was TOTALLY prepared for them to be complaining that I'd ghosted - that's ENTIRELY fair - but what I didn't expect was them calling me rude and snobby. It was the strangest thing. Tbh I didn't even feel offended, just confused, cause like... there didn't seem to be any tension/disagreements/ect between us. I'd understand their complaint had we bickered over something - I mean, I've had a few conflicts of interest over the many years I've RPed - but no, not even a little bit. So I looked back through our messages to try and see what they were talking about and make sure I wasn't missing anything. Hindsight is 20/20, right? Maybe I was spouting offensive garbage and didn't know it? But there was nothing there that I could see. Maybe I'm just completely oblivious, but... The only thing I found was that I'd corrected some obscure fact that they told me. And this was back when I was re-reading everything I said 5 times over so I would be sure to come off as politely as possible.

Oh, and there was once a time where I commented on their profile with a joke that fell COMPLETELY flat on its face. I cringed at it so hard because it sounded far more offensive than I had intended, but this was before we started planning our RP and I had assumed that because they were offering to RP, they'd forgotten/forgiven me. Maybe they didn't...?

I'm kinda sad about it now lol. Confused, but sad.

Bottom line is, it always stings to see people complaining about you, especially when you feel it's unjustified... Or in this particular case, out-of-the-blue. I've had it happen a handful of times and hey, it's no fun, which is why I try not to post about my own negative experiences when I can manage. I used to a lot more, but now most of the time I just vent to friends privately, where I know it won't stir up unecessary drama or hurt feelings. I only talked about this one because I'm very doubtful that it would be seen by them... but hey, if it is? I apologize for... Uh... whatever it was that I did. Hmu and let me know what I did so I don't do it again rofl

I have been accused of trying to "steal" people's roleplays a couple of times. I am probably that nightmare player to the toxic bumholes who have said that to/about me. XD

1) I was chatting OOC to one of the other players and thinking about what our characters might do and it all got a bit way out wacky fun. The GM accused me of trying to "take over" the roleplay among many other bizarre complaints.
2) Someone who allowed first someone else, and then me, to take over a setting they made that was deeply moribund, accused me of "stealing their roleplay" when I made the roleplay successful from the brink of its death.
3) Another person, having no doubt talked to person 2, accused me of trying to steal their roleplay when I was their co-admin on a discord server, because she wouldn't allow me to do anything to help start/run the server, so I said "OK I'm going to do X thing" and apparently that meant I was stealing it.

Actually I did think of one idea. It was awhile back, I had a roleplay partner that turned pretty toxic.

They just randomly brought politics into things and went full on hateful right wing shit stirrer.

Like everything was all about how women where the real sexists, black people where the real racists, etc.

It got so bad they would follow me around the site posting things deliberately meant to make me mad. Then turn around and play the victim like I’m such a terrible person for calling them out.

So I'm curious, have you ever seen someone post a horror story that you knew was lies?
Nah, I don't really think people lie in those kinds of threads.

People can interpret the exact same thing very differently, so it's only natural that two people might end up posting conflicting versions of the event but I wouldn't excatly call that lying.

Some of the people I can describe here are people who just can't seem to change for the better, and are generally people that others agree are nerve-wracking. To their nerves. While they and I try to help.

Mind semantics are complicated. Sometimes these people feel like goddamn trolls. Maybe they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back