Reusing characters

I only reuse characters I have established history and a thorough background with. As far as using a character from another roleplay site, sure, it's my character why not?

When I first started on this site I used to make a new character for every single roleplay that I joined. But after countless failed rps, it got tiring making a character only for the rp to just die off as fast as it started. So I began reusing characters. I don't put the same character in every roleplay nor do I reuse all of my characters. There are still times where I make a whole new characters. If I'm reusing a character it's because I think they would be a good fit in the story- not because I'm lazy. I'll even tweak their bios if need be for it.

Aside from Canon Fandom characters very rarely, though in my early cringe days of Roleplaying I used the same type of character for everything.

Aside from Canon Fandom characters very rarely, though in my early cringe days of Roleplaying I used the same type of character for everything.

Omg yes my first character was  Adelaide/Amy LeBelle. She did not translate well but I surely used her in EVERYTHING. I especially liked when I made her French for arbitrary reasons and stuck her in every Harry Potter / Mutant roleplay I could find. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Never recycle characters, no. Face claims and names are about as far as I go but they're always written up specifically for the roleplay. Worth the extra effort, but makes it suck that much more when a topic dies.

Well more "would like" to reuse a "character concept." Since the RPs I try to get involved with/start never get off the ground. Usually though I reuse the concept of making the character the setting equivalent of a dedicated martial artist. They're something of a passion of mine IRL and many times there are settings I love and if it were possible I would love to inject that mix of unique combat style and philosophy.

For example my favorite class in DnD is the monk, an archetype drawn from Wuxia, the Shaolin, and other very Eastern specific myths and legends in a setting that mostly draws from Western tradition of Neo-Medievalism, Greek mythology, and Tolkien. Not that such is a bad thing or the case depending on the campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only characters I reuse are

A) the ones I put a lot of effort into and fell in love with but the RP died within a half dozen posts. ( current count, 1 of those)

B) the ones I created for a specific plot, that I have reused several times ( one rp/story that I'm writing, plot started on another site.)

I have a few similar characters, but I like to go a little wild and make up unique characters for Every RP I join. 

I have a half dozen static characters that I'll adapt as need be if I want to use them in something outside of their usual genre. Otherwise, I'll make a character specific for that RP. Then, when it's all done and over, back into the creative slurry vat with them!

Unless I've become really attached. But that's rare, and usually only happens around November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back