Advice/Help Researching something for a character can I get some help?

Rathian Diablos

The Golden Carrot
Okay so I'm making a character and I will admit I am not always the best at math I'm not stupid I just can do it instantly off the top of my head.

I tried looking it up but I can't seem to get a simple or straight answer so I'll ask here.

How strong would approximately 53 pounds of force moving at 40 miles an hour or more accurately 240 Newton's moving at 18 meters per second be? Like can anyone give me an example of the kind of damage that would do?

Last edited:
What kind of object? Even if possible to calculate the force, I do think the surface area and shape of the object is relevant to knowing the kind of damage this could inflict (among many other factors, but it's impossible to answer a question like this without simplifying it a bit).

What kind of object? Even if possible to calculate the force, I do think the surface area and shape of the object is relevant to knowing the kind of damage this could inflict (among many other factors, but it's impossible to answer a question like this without simplifying it a bit).
Hmm, let's say about the size of a softball

Yeah it's a ball shape

According to this article:

"An average person with no martial arts knowledge is somewhere in the 800-1200 N range. Again, it depends on numerous factors such as body shape, weight, skill, gender, etc."

So it's about a 1/6th to 1/4th of a regular person's punch, 240 newtons. Speed is unnecessary if you already know the force, unless what you're trying to find is the mass or acceleration of the object. I was unable to find a specific reference for that amount of newtons. Closest I could find in short notice was this wikipedia article, which implies the force is somewhere between "Average force to break the shell of chicken eggs of young hens"(50 N) and "Average force of human bite, measured at molars" (720 N)

Since the shape / size is a small round object, it's relatively concentrated pressure-wise, but I don't think it would be the kind of thing that would be piercing, even disregarding the small amount of force to begin with. The energy is more distributed on the impact area with this kind of an object if I'm not mistaken, closer to a sledgehammer's kind of impact than a bullet's (again, disregarding the fact that this really isn't a lot of force, so I doubt it would even enough to hurt someone for long).

Edit: To be clear, I am not a physicist nor someone with a lot of knowledge in this area, this is what I was able to gather with a bit of quick research. Do take what I say with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth, I hope it helps.

"An average person with no martial arts knowledge is somewhere in the 800-1200 N range. Again, it depends on numerous factors such as body shape, weight, skill, gender, etc."

So it's about a 1/6th to 1/4th of a regular person's punch, 240 newtons. Speed is unnecessary if you already know the force, unless what you're trying to find is the mass or acceleration of the object. I was unable to find a specific reference for that amount of newtons. Closest I could find in short notice was this wikipedia article, which implies the force is somewhere between "Average force to break the shell of chicken eggs of young hens"(50 N) and "Average force of human bite, measured at molars" (720 N)

Since the shape / size is a small round object, it's relatively concentrated pressure-wise, but I don't think it would be the kind of thing that would be piercing, even disregarding the small amount of force to begin with. The energy is more distributed on the impact area with this kind of an object if I'm not mistaken, closer to a sledgehammer's kind of impact than a bullet's (again, disregarding the fact that this really isn't a lot of force, so I doubt it would even enough to hurt someone for long).

Edit: To be clear, I am not a physicist nor someone with a lot of knowledge in this area, this is what I was able to gather with a bit of quick research. Do take what I say with a grain of salt, but for what it's worth, I hope it helps.
Well I was trying to convert a move from a video game I liked and wanted to know if I needed to make it stronger or bring it down, seems like it needs to go up, so thank you anyway.

So quick question if I raised it to 1200 Newton's, what would that do?

So quick question if I raised it to 1200 Newton's, what would that do?

By the first article that's at the upper end of an average person's punch. Seeing the small size I imagine you probably could dislocate a bone or maybe break it, though the latter I'm not sure as certain about.

By the first article that's at the upper end of an average person's punch. Seeing the small size I imagine you probably could dislocate a bone or maybe break it, though the latter I'm not sure as certain about.
That seems fine, this is really supposed to be the starting point of the move and not the upper limit plus it has extra abilities so that seems like a good place to start as the threat really isn't in the physical damage the extra effects but I do believe it should have at least some sort of physical damage to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back