Other Remembering the good old God-based roleplay.

Malphaestus

Touched by the Apocalypse
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I found myself strangely nostalgic one day recent, nostalgic of the old trend which used to be far more prevalent than it is of recent.

The crudely named “God RP,” where your character has the powerlevel necessary to rend the earth and rain down oceans where none had ever been seen prior. The story, usually inconsequential and involving some form of super-creator derivative of Eru Iluvatar- usually with a rhyming name- who made a pantheon of lesser deities to help tend the world so the super-creator could inexplicably vanish, would pave way to the ‘ultimate sandbox.’ Where gods take their turns to mold a featureless world into something most erratic and typically mimicking middle-earth. It was around that age, after all.

Have others participated in these weird gems, and if so, maybe there be strange and esoteric stories to share with us.

I found myself strangely nostalgic one day recent, nostalgic of the old trend which used to be far more prevalent than it is of recent.

The crudely named “God RP,” where your character has the powerlevel necessary to rend the earth and rain down oceans where none had ever been seen prior. The story, usually inconsequential and involving some form of super-creator derivative of Eru Iluvatar- usually with a rhyming name- who made a pantheon of lesser deities to help tend the world so the super-creator could inexplicably vanish, would pave way to the ‘ultimate sandbox.’ Where gods take their turns to mold a featureless world into something most erratic and typically mimicking middle-earth. It was around that age, after all.

Have others participated in these weird gems, and if so, maybe there be strange and esoteric stories to share with us.
Once, we established the Fourth Reich with mutant Nazis. There was superpowers involved, as well as a god-killing robot and a championship for the Holy Grail, which was won by a mundane farmer.

In a currently rebooted and sort-of-ongoing RP me and my fellow players took the role of gods creating a world together. My character was gonna take a bit more inspiration out of mythological stories and in their introduction they would challenge a lower god that slighted them with insults. This duel would pity my goddess against the goddess of the moon, each with a champion in their stead and fighting in the moon itself. While the goddess of the moon tied their champion’s power to the moon, thus putting them at their peak on the moon itself, my character in turn placed a curse on the moon that killed all life on it- the champion was gravely weakened and thus easily defeated. Through this trickery, my goddess received the domain of trickery, and the other domains of the goddess of the moon.

Now, the initial plan was for the head of the gods to come and banish my character for this, but the intervention of the other gods resulted in this whole gathering being created, the trial of the moon as it would come to be known. My character got off pretty much Scott free, but the animosity created during this trial would come to shape many of the future events of a nearly plotless RP otherwise, forming into this whole war of the gods that brought about a whole new status quo- and that was even before the reboot.

I ran a god game on discord where every player created a god or titan or great monster that gathered power with control of land and worshippers and I had a map on "Inkarnate" which illustrated who controlled what provinces in the world, with different players gaining different constellations of lands, peoples, resources and followers... the map looked something like THIS:

Gods (50).jpg

The Story behind the RP was that as gods get older and more powerful they become farther and farther detatched from their creations until they eventually totally ascend to forms even greater than gods, leaving a power vacuum for inspired mortals, great monsters, old and fallen gods and entities imprisoned by the former pantheon to rise up and compete for power.

Each player had an interview process for their character creation where they chose a mortal and divine form and spent points giving their gods physical and magical powers.

This RP lasted many months but eventually crashed under it's own weight. It was terrific fun until it did, however. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back