• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy {Reboot} Aether: The Dark Age - Interest Check

Avari

Four Thousand Club
AETHER: THE DARK AGE
mapVR 3.jpg

(This is a reboot of an exisiting RP. Due to some personal issues, sickness and scheduling problems we never really got started, despite a lot of interest and a very active group of talented writers. I took the opportunity to revamp the lore a little, so we can start fresh! Newcomers are very welcome!)

Welcome to Aether. A world recovering from a terrible war that pushed the races of the land to near extinction. A land steeped in political intrigue, lost magic and ancient secrets. Inspired in part by worlds from Dark Souls, Fire Emblem, Dragon Age and a DnD campaign I ran - Aether: The Age of Light will be a RP for those interested in political turmoil, ancient unseen horrors and a realistic twist on fantasy.

The War of Cinders
kolaghan.jpg

The War of Cinders was a long series of conflicts that took place across the Aether continent between the combined forces of Aether and the three Dragon Gods that descended upon the world due to the actions of the Cult of Myrkul. It is generally referred to by the populace as “the Dark Ages”. The War of Cinders was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands and it’s conclusion left Aether scarred and in ruin, with civilization divided, scattered and scrabbling to survive.

The RP takes place 300 years later.

The Church of Light
col.jpg

The Church of Light is a quasi-religious militaristic organization operating across Aether, with its roots stemming from a great army that survived the War of Cinder. An isolated and rather aloof group, the Church has spent the last two centuries within the fortress-city of Alcamoth and took little interest in the politics of the outside world - preferring instead to focus on the search and collection of pre-cinder artifacts and weapons.

Magic
rhshhh.jpg

Before the War of Cinders, Aether was a magical and ethereal place. The Elves boosted immortality, and had complete control over the soil and what grew from it - they could speak to trees and listen to their secrets, and the Great Forests of Aether were their domain. The Dwarves were lords of Stone - able to manipulate solid rock in ways that would be impossible today. And Humans were incredibly strong, with even the weakest warrior amongst them able to defeat an Inquisitor today. It is unknown what caused the great magical cataclysm that resulted in the significantly weaker world today, some academics believe the opening of the Portal to Myrkul's Realm had some sort of impact upon it.

Today, Magic is a rare and infinitely precious resource. An individual cannot learn magic, they are simply born with it. A incredibly rare gift, and one highly sought after. Those born with magic must seek out a trainer, in order to learn how to harness their power - lest they be torn apart or driven mad by the mana within them.

There are five schools of magic:

• Abjuration - Defensive magic. Abjurationists are able to create physical or magical barriers as well as negate magical or physical abilities. Many high-ranking Paladins are Abjurationist mages, and are formidable adversaries.
  • Restoration - Healing magic. A rare and much demanded skill, Mages who study the school of restoration are able to heal wounds, cure disease and neutralise poisons.
  • Evocation - Destruction magic. Evocation spells manipulate energy or tap an unseen source of power to produce a desired end. The use of elements such as fire, ice and lightning are used to destroy opponents and is a study unique to Cainhurst, who often deploy these mages as artillery.
  • Enchantment - Mind affecting magic. Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behaviour.
  • Illusion - Deception magic. Can cause people to see things that are not there, nor see things that are there, hear phantom noises or even remember things that never happened.
Player Races
Humans - A uneasy truce
Making up almost 80% of Aether's population, Humans have risen to become the dominant race, now controlling a growing Empire and having significant impact on the history of the country. For the last 200 years, the two most powerful Human families have been locked in a bitter war over territory. The Cainhursts and the Hinokah.

cainhursts.jpg

The Cainhursts originally came from a great human city known as Greenvale, which they were forced to flee during the war of Cinders due to the terrible undead curse that Kolaghan the Black unleashed upon it. With their city lost (and now known as Hollowvale) the Cainhursts moved West to Blackrock, where they endured the remainder of the war from within their fortress.

The Cainhurst family have long had a reputation as being cruel and harsh - perhaps a result of their bitter struggles since the fall of Greenvale - but are also widely acknowledged as masters of the Arcane. Many members of the family have been blessed with magic, and there are few who can stand against a fully prepared Cainhurst Mage. However, a rather unseemly reputation for “Cainhurst madness” surrounds the family - believed to be caused in part by their proximity to both Hollowvale and the Deludge Wetlands. Many members of the family have suffered from psychosis, schizophrenia and general instability.

hinokah.jpg

The Hinokah family trace their origins to the southern sword-masters who were legendary warriors and philosophers before the War of Cinders nearly eradicated the entire bloodline. The Hinokah are widely regarded as disciplined disciples of the blade, with each member of the family being concerned with honor over all other things. The Hinokah also boast one of the most technologically advanced communities in the country, thanks to a historically close relationship with the Dwarves.

The Hinokah have a reputation for being exceptional masters of combat, as well as being effective and much loved rulers - Cloudtop is one of the richest and safest places in Aether, with an incredibly low crime rate and a merchant guild that is rivaled only by the trade hub of Vakaris.

The Hinokah also control the feared "Kage Senshi" - a group of elite ninja who are experts in espionage, sabotage and assassination. There are even rumors that the Senshi go on to defend the Hinokah family, even after death.

empire.jpg

The Newly born Aetherian Empire is a new alliance between the Hinokah, Cainhurst and the Church of Light. The Empire is tasked with stabilizing Aether after centuries of war and unrest, and is growing in territory with every passing day.

Built on a political treaty created by the Church of Light, the two families have joint their houses to create a new dynasty. The new King and Queen rule in partnership with the Church in a attempt to carve a final peace between the two rivals and prepare for what the Church believes to be the inevitable terrible battles ahead.

The Hinokah and Cainhursts still hold much hatred for each-other however, and the truce between them is tenuous.

Elves- A race divided
art.jpg

The Elves are divided into two unique groups - those who have integrated into human society and the mysterious Lumen elves, who after finding themselves caught between the Cainhurst and Hinokah civil war, decided to retreat into Merluminal Forest. To this day they remain isolated and even out right hostile to those who are foolish enough to attempt to force their way into the Forest. Diplomatic attempts over the centuries have failed. The Lumen remain separate from the world.

At least for now.

Dwarves- A race struggling to survive
hhsshsh.jpg

Once a proud race of Warriors and Artisans responsible for many of the mighty structures that still dot Aether's surface, Hailing from the Ashen Mountains of Aether, the strong and stocky Dwarves built an Empire out of stone that once dominated much of the country.The Dwarves today are on the verge of extinction after the loss of their homeland to Orcs. Many traveled across Aether to spend their days as Mercenaries or Architects, full of bitterness and mourning for what they once had. Today, Dwarves make up barely 3% of the population of Aether. Some Dwarves in recent times however, have begun to gather at Gulorum, a small Dwarven outpost West of the Ashen Mountains in a final attempt to save their race while others have chosen to remain in Southern Aether with their Hinokah allies.

The RP
"For the last five years, the citizens of Aether have been plagued by nightmares of a black dragon surrounded by flame - a potential omen of things to come. The Hinokah and Cainhurst families have formed a uneasy truce with the Church of Light to prepare for the eventual threat. The RP begins in the capital city of Alcamoth, with the marriage of Severa Cainhurst and Akio Hinokah - who will become the first King and Queen of the Aetherian Empire)

As you can see, there is a large amount of lore available already, but players are encouraged to develop Aether themselves. Ideas about lore are welcomed, and player interaction is actively encouraged. A certain quality is expected - especially in terms of grammar and decent post length. While the RP begins in the Capital City of Alcamoth, players will have the option to travel out in time. Players will also not be required to stay in one group - Players focusing on the more political side of Aether might prefer to stay in the city for example. There will be a overarching story, but Players will have sufficient notice of big events. Be warned - actions always have consequences, either good or bad.

I have spaces for ten people, and you may have a maximum of two characters (Though I would recommend one, unless you're feeling confident!) The only group out of bounds are the Lumen Elves, who won't be available until later on in the RP. There will be a limit on Mages and players who wish to be part of the Cainhurst/Hinokah families.

Additional Lore is available here which has extra info on all of the above (i tried to give the general gist of every group) There will be a location guide available once I've finished updating it.

Anyway register interest below - a Fresh OOC and CS will be available over the weekend.

Previous players who might be interested in rejoining?
Joker987 Joker987 Pai Chan Pai Chan Lefic Lefic Keidivh Keidivh MagicPenguin MagicPenguin Dalamus Ulom Dalamus Ulom Prrrgadilly Prrrgadilly caYabo caYabo

Last edited:
So, I feel like I'm going to have to rework my character's history for this. He can't come from Alcamoth anymore since general people have only recently started to inhabit it. The easiest change to make would be to say Hogan is the best smith in Cloudtop instead since his race has good relations with the Hinokah, evidently. He found Arryn as a parentless, homeless street urchin there instead.

I kind of want to put Hogan in Cainhurst territory instead, since they look the more interesting family to me, but it seems like it just makes more sense for him to be in the Hinokah city given the lore.

Since the church seems to be altogether less omnipresent in everyone's daily life than before, I should probably take out Arryn's thoughts and feelings about them as well, since living in Cloudtop wouldn't give him many reasons to really think about the isolationist Church or its policies.

As for the religion itself, the gods from before appear to be missing. Are Zanza and Bahamut and the other gone or just not mentioned as yet?

So, I feel like I'm going to have to rework my character's history for this. He can't come from Alcamoth anymore since general people have only recently started to inhabit it. The easiest change to make would be to say Hogan is the best smith in Cloudtop instead since his race has good relations with the Hinokah, evidently. He found Arryn as a parentless, homeless street urchin there instead.

I kind of want to put Hogan in Cainhurst territory instead, since they look the more interesting family to me, but it seems like it just makes more sense for him to be in the Hinokah city given the lore.

Since the church seems to be altogether less omnipresent in everyone's daily life than before, I should probably take out Arryn's thoughts and feelings about them as well, since living in Cloudtop wouldn't give him many reasons to really think about the isolationist Church or its policies.

As for the religion itself, the gods from before appear to be missing. Are Zanza and Bahamut and the other gone or just not mentioned as yet?

I'm still thinking about the Gods, we might just go with one "good" one to offset Myrkul, and then the Dwarven ancestor worship and the Lumen working with whatever spirit inhabits Merluminal.

I'm also open to suggestions about the Hinokah if you want to make them more interesting.

Oh, I also have smithing planned out this time - at least as far as enchanted weapons. I'll make a lore entry but I'll get your input first.

I'm still thinking about the Gods, we might just go with one "good" one to offset Myrkul, and then the Dwarven ancestor worship and the Lumen working with whatever spirit inhabits Merluminal.

I'm also open to suggestions about the Hinokah if you want to make them more interesting.

I wasn't really trying to sound critical of the Hinokah. I don't know enough about them yet, but my bias was always for Nohr over Hoshido in FE: Fates, and the Cainhursts also remind me somewhat of Targaryens in GoT as well, so that's probably why I have a gut preference for Cainhursts.

Of course, this is only my first impression, colored perhaps a bit too much by the Hoshido comparison, so there's a lot of room for them to evolve as we write.

Oh, I also have smithing planned out this time - at least as far as enchanted weapons. I'll make a lore entry but I'll get your input first.

Cool, sounds good.

very good. cause i was really wanting to know about them since i was thinking of my character wielding one. but i'll leave it up to you. I pretty much have the CS done for the second character and now just waiting on standby in google docs. seems like quite a few people like the Cainhurst. But i called dibs first! at least i think i did :/

very good. cause i was really wanting to know about them since i was thinking of my character wielding one. but i'll leave it up to you. I pretty much have the CS done for the second character and now just waiting on standby in google docs. seems like quite a few people like the Cainhurst. But i called dibs first! at least i think i did :/

feel free to share if you like!

i thouht I called dibs on Cainhurst first

tumblr_mg5ow2Wf661s2yz47o1_500.jpg

BASIC INFORMATION

Name: Lilith Van Der Veen

Race: Human

PERSONAL

Sexuality: Heterosexual

High Concept: Lilith is a bodyguard of one of the Cainhurst family. She had been hand picked for her skill with the sword and bow as well as her cunning. The girl will serve the Cainhurst family till her dying breath. It was what she was trained for. It was what she was born to do.

Organizations\Affiliations: Cainhurst Family

Personality: Lilith also has a hotstreak and is known for being just as cruel as some of the family members themselves. Sometimes even worse since Lilith has no problem getting blood on her hands. She has often been described as a sociopath since the girl seems to have hesitations in killing in someone gets in the way of her or the Cainhurst family's ideals. On occasion she can be seen with softer features that remind, anyone looking, of her beauty. She loathes the Hinokah and wish's to see the day when the Cainhursts will be returned back to their glory.

beeg61.jpg

Backstory: The Van Der Veen family has been loyal with the Cainhurst family for generations. The Van der Veens are primarily known as fighters in one way or another and would proudly fight for the Cainhurst when called upon. Lilith was forced to train and learn the art of fighting since she was able to hold a weapon. This was the way of her family. But this was also something Lilith wanted. She not only wanted to be good, she wanted to be the best. At a young age, Lilith quickly overcame the limitations of being a female warrior by using her cunning and quick wit. She was also very fast and agile when she fought, able to land several blows in the time it took others to land one.

Seeing her potential, the Cainhursts had offered her a position of being one of their private warriors when she was finished with her training. She was not only breezing through the challenges given to her but she was always asking for more. Assassinations, money collecting, body guarding, etc. If someone needed to be hurt or killed, Lilith did so without batting an eye. In fact she rather enjoyed doing these task. To her, nothing says, "power" like holding a person's thread of life in her hands.

Hometown: Blackrock

PHYSICAL
swordswoman-picture-id170955993
Items & Personal Belongings:

• Enchanted dagger: (TBD)
Weaknesses: Lilith has never really known true defeat. She excelled in everything. If she ever does lose it is not something she takes well.

Lilith is very used to taking orders. If she isn't told to do something then she is in very unfamiliar territory and often knows not what to do.

Theme:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back