• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Ravnica: City of Guilds

Bone2pick

Minority of One

Ravnica is a vast, worldwide cityscape—a patchwork of grand halls, decrepit slums, ancient ruins, and layer upon layer of stonework structures. Of the world's countless civic centers, one looms large above all others: the City of Ravnica, a metropolis so vast that its name has long since become synonymous with the entire plane. It is here, amid mazes of streets and towering gothic spires, that Ravnica's guilds vie for power and control.

Ravnica's guilds had been openly at war for centuries, each claiming dominion over the others. Then something began to happen that gave the guilds pause: The spirits of the dead were lingering in the world. The guild masters of old agreed to divert their energy toward investigating the phenomenon, leading to the signing of the Guildpact, the ancient accord that established relative peace on the plane.

Each of the ten guilds mastered two of the five colors of mana, and each had its own cultural identity and essential function.

This Roleplay Players will select a guild to "control" from the infamous Magic the Gathering world of Ravnica. However, the main characters that the players will create will not be the Guild's leaders, and preferebly, not even the guild's second in command. Rather, they will create an original guild lieutenant who will share their perspectives of the major ongoings occurring inside the city of Ravnica. This will allow the guild leaders to act as political overseers while our characters brave the dangerous city streets. It will also allow our characters to form inter-guild alliances even if our sworn guilds are on "unfriendly" terms.

Boros (red-white): The Boros Legion believed in a higher law—one in which righteousness is fire, and justice the light that shines from it. Led by the angel Razia, the Boros were Ravnica's most formidable military force, and the enforcers of its laws.

Selesnya (green-white): "Once you are with us, you are an equal among us. Until then, you are lost," said the wolfrider evangel Tolsimir, an agent of the Selesnya Conclave. The Conclave thought itself a selfless, nurturing, spiritual congregation, but others regarded it as a brainwashing nature cult.

Golgari (black-green): The Golgari believed you can't truly live until you die. With its vast horde of undead that served as both standing army and labor force, the Golgari operated in Ravnica's undercity, slowly taking over abandoned and derelict areas like a fetid slime mold.

Dimir (blue-black): House Dimir was so secretive that only some knew that it even existed. Over the millennia, ghost stories about the Dimir grew more and more complex, telling of ancient, undead necromancer-advisors, phantasmal assassins, and slick, black horrors slithering through the endless maze of sewers under the city.

Orzhov (white-black): To find the Orzhov, the saying went, follow the gold. The so-called Guild of Deals was a rigid hierarchy with the wealthy ghost-patriarchs ruling from the top and countless indentured servants forming the base. Holding this fragile social order in place was a veneer of religious pomp and ritual, though few believed the Orzhov worship any god other than coin.

Gruul (red-green): The Gruul Clans celebrated base urges and lived by instinct, considering all of civilization to be an elaborate cage that suppresses desire. Once a powerful guild, the Gruul were an assemblage of beggars, gangs, and raiding parties, with the largest of their gangs led by the cyclops Borborygmos.

Izzet (blue-red): The undisputed masters of spellcraft and invention on Ravnica, the Izzet were rabid inventors, fusing elemental magics with technology to power their creations. Led by the capricious and unfathomably brilliant dragon Niv-Mizzet, the Izzet magewrights endlessly created and destroyed, driven only by rabid passion for discovery.

Azorius (white-blue): The Azorius Senate was the primary origin of all laws on Ravnica. The Azorius believed that their rigid system of governance kept nearly everything on Ravnica running smoothly. Justice is blind, and that included the guild's venerable Grand Arbiter, Augustin IV, who some say was blind to Ravnica's most significant problems.

Rakdos (black-red): The Cult of Rakdos was a thrill-killing, pleasure-seeking cabal led by the ancient demon Rakdos. Even as a force of chaos, the Rakdos were a resource for the law-abiding guilds; when the denizens of Ravnica needed an obstacle removed or an unsavory client entertained, the minions of Rakdos were happy to oblige.

Simic (green-blue): Amidst the chaos of Ravnican politics and strife, the researchers of the Simic Combine worked industriously to improve their world. The Simic were charged with maintaining nature on Ravnica. In ever stranger ways, the Simic "modified" nature so it could survive on a world increasingly blanketed under civilization.

Excellent. I've seen you around the forums and figured we'd meetup in an RP eventually. (^.^)

I'll be representing Orzhov.

Bone2pick said:
Excellent. I've seen you around the forums and figured we'd meetup in an RP eventually. (^.^)
I'll be representing Orzhov.
Good to hear and pleasure to work with you.

I've been looking for an RP that actually allowed me to be a dark antihero soaked in the vile black taint of debauchery, and gosh golly the guys and gals over at a Rakdos seem like the kind of swell pals that just might do that! Count me in!

@Sullivanity You've been counted in. ( :) )

Even miles away, if you put your ear to the sewer vents, you can hear the screams and the tempestuous laughter.
On The Dungeons Below Rix Maadi

image_zpsjcnkpd8x.jpeg

Rakdos Guildmage

Rix Maadi Guildhall

Thrill-Kill Assassin

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, is this taking place before present ravnica? Because the city spans the entire plane. And the reason the spirits stayed was because of a aether barrier made by Azor I, the founder of Azorius to keep planeswalkers out..

@pbtenchi Keep in mind, this is a mere interest check: the purpose of which is to showcase some of the setting, possible conflicts, and the kinds of characters players would create. Obviously, I'll expand more on the state of Ravnica if and when the roleplay launches.

Everything above, with the exception of what's inside the fieldset, was copy and pasted from this site: RAVNICA

Huh. That site needs re-wording as I know for a fact isn't strictly accurate.

And please don't talk to me like that, I hate being talked to like that, you sound like a robot

As to who gets what guild, if there are two or more players who really want one particular guild, then that guild will be awarded by me based on character sheet quality. I doubt this will happen often, but it does give everyone a shot to take the reigns of whatever group desire.

Here's some concept art. ( :) )

Other guilds demand tolls from those who travel through their territories, but not House Dimir. It takes its share secretly, one coin purse at a time.
Dimir Cutpurse

image_zpsrlxnf5v9.jpeg

Stealer of Secrets

Hidden Guildgate

Doppelganger of House Dimir

A system to direct the flow of Ravnica's entire water supply? Thinking a bit small, aren't we?
Izzet Guildmage

Epic Experiments

Tower of Nivix, Guildhall

Ral Zarek, Legendary Izzet Guildmage

Civilization will subsume us unless we overwhelm it instead.
Speaker Zegana

Elven Biomancer

Gate of Zameck, the Simic guildhall, inside the city's Tenth District

Simic Manipulator

I'd like to get one or two more interested members before I draw up the roleplay. Also, after some late night inspiration, I'm considering going Golgari. I'm torn atm.

Well this is giving me some flashbacks to my teens.... and getting my Lorwyn deck's butt handed to me by Boros and Dimir decks 0_0 Since I haven't seen anyone take them yet I'd be interested in being a fight happy Boros warrior type if the spot is still open.

@SpiralErrant A fine choice. (^.^)

Leaders shape the minds of their allies. It takes a master to shape the minds of enemies.
Boros Battleshaper

The Standing Legions

Sunhome, Guild Fortress

Knight of Boros

You're going to need to love rich fantasy lore for this roleplay. Two out of ten complete, I'll have the rest finished at launch.

• WIP

It's very much still a thing. There's quite a bit of work to finish up before I can kick this off, but I hope this interest check continues to drum up potential players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back