• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Rainwilds (mutant and dragons river adventure)

kesshowolf

Stars in the eye
Set up:

So, my hope is that this is going to be an adventure Roleplay… with dark themes

Ok so a very quick run-down; dragons/magic are thought to be a complete myth, at least up until a few years ago, an ancient dragon was excavated from ice up north and woke to a human dominate world.

The Rainwilds are said to be a cursed place, the people there are born different some with scales and oddly colored eyes, others with less luck are born very different; born with a tail, horns, clawed feet or completely scaled, and usually left out to be exposed to the wilds after born. These kids are sometimes kept but shunned from society. They typically only live to be about 25-28 years, and romance is seen as a huge taboo for them (doesn’t mean they don’t do anything).

The rainwilds are in a huge jungle, the trees are ridiculously big, and people live in tree houses with rope bridges everywhere. There is little dry land however and the river is the most dangerous thing in the jungle. It is normally a greyish color and stings the skin when touched but when it runs white it will eat everything in its path, with acid.

The boat used to be made out of ancient Wizardwood logs, that were found in the recently discovered Elderling city settlement. Recently the dragon has raged against this practice, however there was only one log left and once the log where exposed to strong sunlight for about a week it hatched into a beautiful dragon! She sung and flew into the sky.

They pair of dragons have herded a few hundred sea serpents down the river and helped them spin their cocoons, wizardwood logs, the pair has left and will be back in the spring…. Upon the pairs return they have seen the new dragons hatch and were repulsed by them. They are deformed things and cannot fly. The Rainwild city that cared for the wizardwood cocoons has nearly gone bankrupt with feeding them.

So, the city council has seen to charge mutated teen/young adults with guiding the misfit dragons down the dangerous River to an ancient forgotten city of Elderlings. They both hope to be rid of the dragons and misfit children or that they find the city so they can plunder for treasure.

Sorry guys this was A LOT longer than I intended but there you go… hope I didn’t scare too many people off with all this. But there is a lot more… I can tell you about or I can save them for down the river surprises.

I was hoping for a long term RP, I have books to go off of so this could last years.

So, I was hoping for;
at least 5 mutant young adult keepers and their dragons.
a captain of the ship with some crew members…. (the person who is the captain NEEDS to be long term and very active)

Last edited:
Sorry guys this was A LOT longer than I intended but there you go… hope I didn’t scare too many people off with all this. But there is a lot more… I can tell you about or I can save them for down the river surprises.

I was hoping for a long term RP, I have books to go off of so this could last years.

So, I was hoping for;
at least 5 mutant young adult keepers and their dragons.
a captain of the ship with some crew members…. (the person who is the captain NEEDS to be long term and very active)

Love these books so much! I could certainly be interested in this RP :D

I suspect this should probably be in fandom since this is apparently based entirely on Robin Hobb's excellent Rainwild Chronicles series (wonderful books, by the way, which everyone should read, though Assassin's Apprentice and the other Fitz/Fool books will always be my favorites of hers).

Last edited:
Her most recent trilogy, which ended the Fitz story as well as ties a lot of the dangling threads from other Realm of the Elderlings storylines, has a feeling of finality about it, but I really need in my life another set of stories about what happens to Bee next. Must protecc innocent child.

I Love Fits, I have reread the series over and over every time a new book comes out I reread the series. Just for a refresher, and I must agree the last book did seem like a finale to fits and the fool. But I could not have asked for a better ending. That being said, I NEED to know what happens to Bee!

I did think the rainwilds would be the easiest Books to explain/go through and catch people who are not familiar with the series. Last time I tried a RP like this no one joined. I’m super happy 2 people already responded!!!

Also, do you guys think this would do better in the fandom area?

First, I have to disappoint you and say I'm not really interested in RPing this story. I only posted because I recognized the source material and wanted to point it out. Robin Hobb already wrote the story you're proposing, and she did it far better than I could ever hope to. I'd be uncomfortable essentially re-writing what she's already done. It feels a bit too much like plagiarism.

Now, if you wanted to do an RP that's merely set in Hobb's world with Hobb's lore/stories in the background, but with a story of your own imagining instead, that would be a little more interesting to me. For example, a story about a group who's setting off to Kelsingra after it's already been resettled in Hobb's story. Or a hypothetical war between two nations in this world. Or what happens in the Chalced States after the emperor's death and the capital's destruction. Or something original like that. Not just a re-imagining of what has already been written.

I think you should put it in fandom if only because putting it in fantasy gives the impression that this is all your own idea, which it is not. If it's in fandom, it's clear from the start this is not your world, nor your story. Related, whichever forum you put it in, I think you should make clearer right at the start (like, before you go into the setup) the source material you're using, even if nobody but a select few will have heard of it. It's only fair to give the original author the credit she deserves, even if only for a small, simple RP.

Also, I'm pretty sure Icefyre wasn't the one who told everyone wizardwood logs were dragon eggs. Icefyre wasn't excavated until after Tintaglia was born from one of them, so he couldn't have been the one to let Malta and the others know about it. The Liveship Traders trilogy is the only one in this world I haven't read, so I'm a little unclear on how they actually learned, but I suspect one of the Liveships was the one or ones who let that cat out of the bag.

Related, Tintaglia was the only one who herded sea serpents down the river; Icefyre had nothing to do with that.

Trying to claim her creations as my own was not my intent, I just loved the idea. These misfitted youth’s outcast by society being given this responsibility and the dragons that go through a butterfly-like metamorphosis is such a suburb idea. I just thought that we could go on the same journey with our characters would be great fun. And bring more people to the joy of reading Robins Hobbs books.

And yes, I know icefyre did not talk to the humans, I just smushed it together for simplicity sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back