• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Questions Regarding Transfer/Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fable

₮ⱧɆ ₥Ɏ₮Ⱨ, ₮ⱧɆ ⱠɆ₲Ɇ₦Đ, ₮ⱧɆ ₣₳฿ⱠɆ
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
With the recent announcement of RPNation returning to xenForo there have been many questions concerning this transfer.  Please use this resource to see if your question has already been answered as many have already been asked multiple times.  If your question is not answered here, feel free to inquire on the main announcement thread.

For the most recent announcement, click here.

General Questions

When is this transfer taking place?

- The estimated time - as it currently stands - is February 19th, 2017.

How long will the site be down?

- Currently the estimated downtime is between 2-4 days.

Will we be given more details?

- When we get closer to the transfer, details regarding the matter will be announced.

Is there any expected major data loss?

- In regards to posts, HPs, PMs, status updates and such; no.  However, blogs are unavailable in xF, so save anything you want to keep from them.

Will the site run faster?

- Yes, without all the previous addons to hold back the site on xF, the site should be much faster.

Will URLs be the same?

- Possibly, though options in having old URLs redirect to new ones are being looked into.

Everything was fine when we did the switch to IPS until we realized that all the URLs people had bookmarked in their browsers, had switched since it was a different software, though this time, I believe I can make old IPS links, redirect to new ones if xF changes them up.

Will private workshops be affected?

- No, they will function as intended even after the transfer.

Will the site UI/themes appear the same?

- Themes should remain mostly the same, though the theme styles have not been finalized.  Themes such as Night Life, Color Me, and Default will still be a thing, just slightly different.  The functionality of the UI should also stay relatively the same.  

Will we be able to delete posts?

- No, RPNation as a no-deletion policy.

Will notifications be fixed?

We expect so. ^33^

Will sound notifications still be a thing?

- Maybe.

Will macros return?

- Maybe.

Profiles

Will profiles stay the same?

- Profiles will probably be very basic at first.  Avatars, titles, and About Me should stay, but save your About Me just in case.  We're looking into having cover pictures, but can't guarantee them at this time.

Will gif avatars be allowed?

- No.

Will likes/rep transfer as well?

- They should.

Will content count remain the same?

- Probably not.  IPS and xF count content differently and there might be a slight decrease.

Will I lose my followers again or who I am following?

- Unfortunately, yes.  Followers are not transferred over and it is suggested you note who you follow.  You can always note who you follow here, under members.

Will I lose my followed content (threads and such)?

The follow system in general for IPS seems to be borked.

You'll need to rewatch them on xF. Just save the link somewhere to the content you follow to find it again, or use the vastly superior search system we used to have to instantly find anything.

Will I lose bookmarked content?

If you use the book marks feature located here: https://www.rpnation.com/bookmarks/ please make sure to save your bookmarks, we will obviously have a bookmarks functionality but the addon can't import to the other addon. You'll easily find all your bookmarked content again by keeping the URL and just pasting it in your browser, as explained in the first point. At which point you'll be able to bookmark it again using the site's functionality.

Will status updates remain the same?

- Yes.

Status updates will be fine

Blogs

Will blogs remain?

- No.

Will blogs be replaced?

- There are currently no plans for them at this time.

PMs

Will my PMs stay?

- Yes.

CSS/HTML, BBCode, Embeds, & Styling Posts

Why can I no longer access the raw source to edit CSS/HTML?

- The HTML beta is over and that access has been turned off.

What will happen to the posts coded with CSS/HTML?

- It is assumed at this time that when we transition from IPS to xF that these posts will "break" much like the BBCode posts did when the site moved over to IPS.  This may make them somewhat unreadable, depending on how much HTML coding was present.

What will happen to the old BBCode that was broken from the transfer to IPS?

- It should be fixed.

Will the BBCode be the same as before?

- Old BBCode will return, though we do have plans to increase the variety of BBCodes available.

Will I still be able to easily bold, italicize, and format text?  What about all the other buttons?

- Yes, the editor should function properly after the transfer.  Not all buttons may be available on the xF software, but basic ones such as bold, italicize, and other text formatters should remain.

Will line breaks be kept?

- Unsure, some posts appear to have doubled the line breaks on test site.

Will we still be able to embed; images, youtube, soundcloud, Google Slides?

- Images; yes.

- Youtube; yes.

- Soundcloud; probably.

- Google Slides; might be unsupported, but we will look into it.

Can I still use fonts other than the default?

- There is a dropdown menu in the RTE that has various fonts.  We did have Google fonts in xF, so as soon as we get everything settled we should have those back.

Mobile App

Will this affect the release of the mobile app?

- No.  The only thing affecting the release is the need for a macbook due to the requirement by Apple.

But what about Android users?

- The app, when it's released, will be on both Apple and Android.  We're holding them both for a simultaneous release.

Hosted Projects

Will Hosted projects remain as Hosted Projects?

- Yes.  Hosted Projects will endure and survive this transition.  However, there might be a few changes to the HP system and appearance.  We will be trying to preserve HPs as they are now as best as we can.

What will happen to my Hosted Project?

- If you have multiple topics and threads, your HP will be kept as it is.  However, HPs that don't really need the full resources of an HP will be converted back to the regular thread system.  (This means if you have only one thread, or only two threads, you'll probably be moved.)  HPs take up a lot of resources on the servers and we'd like to conserve that as much as possible.

When will the creation of Hosted Projects be reopened?

- Shortly after the transfer and site update.

Will I be able to have my RPs converted into a HP?

- When they are reopened, yes.

Will designated roles still exist and be visible within HPs?

- Depends.  We haven't yet found the best way to manage the HP system.  When we know what we're going to go with, we'll let you know.

Will GM functions as a HP owner remain?

As usual RP Creator tools for managing your RPs will exist and be fine :)!

Will the Hosted Projects go back to the application system when the site was on xF?

- Undecided.  xF has a similar system to IPS regarding Hosted Projects.

If we revert to an old system like that, we lose all the nifty features that this one uses, we'd have to make a superior system of communication, which isn't the worst thing in the world. If we go with something like now, it just gets spammed and misused, its a massive waste of site resources. Maybe have the fancy functionality but also have some form of application to have the best of both worlds. 

Regardless, we will always minimally honor HPs with forums and stuff with the support of the staff for prefixes and all that stuff. This is something that I'm personally fond of and its my favorite way of RPing, so HPs are not going anywhere :P!

Will all the posts in HP's stay exactly as they are?

- Aside from HTML conversion, probably.

Will HP members vanish?

- No, they shouldn't.

Will HPs remain exactly as they are?

- No, not exactly as they are currently.  More information will be released as we test things ourselves.

Pre-IPS Addons 

Regarding Old Addons (in general)

As I posted earlier, that won't immediately come back. Our goal is to land on xF with a running start as xF2 is also right around the corner. Once that does and we are on the absolute latest version of the software which comes with new editors and functionality and a complete rework of the code (even xF1 for all of the updates it gets, is still a bit dated, so is IPS)

Will tabs be returning?

- Yes, upon the release of xenForo 2.0, not right after the site transfer.

Will hype cookies be returning?

Post Ratings are a go! (different likes)

Will an on-site dice roller be returning?

- This is another addon that caused issues and will take time to review any possibility of implementing.

the Dice Roller was actually our oldest addon and the one causing the most problems. I actually had plans to fund a new one for IPS before it started to crap out. Back on xF once 2.0 lands, I'll see about funding a superior one with support for many more games and functionality. It's something that's at the very top of my list, since I want to run more DnD and Exalted games.

As soon as we can find one that works and doesn't break other things ^D^

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back