Other Question about magic systems in rp

Bacon is fluffy

Wut'n th'name of davy jonez lockr is uh sall-add?
So for a while now I've been wanting to do an political rp with magic. With espionage, sabotage, and assassination. Or perhaps a csi based roleplays, but with magic. Yes these things can be done without,but it's always been something that I've wanted to do in an roleplay,but never had the chance. However, the use of magic has always been a limiting factor. In other roleplays I've seen people straight up use dice and custom narrative to explain magic, while others have been a mish mash of randomness. In all these instances the use of magic in the rp took a backseat and had little to no impact on the actual roleplay.

So I was wondering, does magic need to be based on relatable concepts or a more realistic sci-fi to successfully be implemented?

Here's my example: Naruto used chakra. Chakra itself is not a new concept that kishimoto made,but it was the name of the inner energy he implemented in his series. Chakra itself was in the early days used to explain the super human feats in the series.

At its core chakra is life energy,but it isn't. Despite kakashi's early warning about overusing chakra turning to dire consequences and death, no one has ever died from over using chakra. So it's more of a separate energy from the rest of the normal human calories people consume. Your heart won't stop beating if you pass out from spamming fireballs. But the unique or rather what seemed to be unique back then was chakra is also something you train like a muscle. It's not exactly confirmed to atroph from disuse like muscles,but certainly becomes more potent as a character physically trains.

This leads me into the next point, natural limits. Before kishi introduced people like tsunade and before people didn't die when they were killed, there was a concept of natural limits. The hidden lotus was for breaking this natural limiter, which might have something to do with people not dying from over use of their super powers. Chakra is tied to this in that a fair chunk of a person's potential is actually locked away by biological limiters that trained ninja can break. Which while it's not the most sound medical science, it makes sense in making chakra and the magic system in naruto feel more grounded.

Then we have the use of special powers that come from actual genetics. While it's not the best science, it's a lot better at explaining the exclusivity of the sharingan and why its passed down to certain people. The use of its also being a recessive gene that doesn't even show up all too often even in their own clan, was also cool.

All these things in my opinion did two things:

1. It subjectively made the show better.

2. It objectively explained how ninja became super humans. In the context of an rp, would help not only limit "opness", but also make the process of character creation feel more meaningful and the lore richer.

However I could be wrong. So I wanted to ask people for their opinions in general before crafting my rp. Should I just sort of coombayah wing it and let magic exist as a matter of fact thing. Or should actual work be put into a system which explains how magic works? Would such a thing benefit an rp or does such a thing only work because said exposition is accompanied by visuals? Which in turn take priority over the info dumps?

In my opinion it´s always better to have a concise magic system. Just winging with magic does give people more liberty, but it also means that you are subjecting pretty much everythign to the possibility of someone just making up a power that breaks your entire plot. Furthermore, the limitations inherent to a magic system can inspire creativity as people try to get out of situations using more limited resources and techniques, forcing them to be creative and smart about it, or fail.

In my opinion it´s always better to have a concise magic system. Just winging with magic does give people more liberty, but it also means that you are subjecting pretty much everythign to the possibility of someone just making up a power that breaks your entire plot. Furthermore, the limitations inherent to a magic system can inspire creativity as people try to get out of situations using more limited resources and techniques, forcing them to be creative and smart about it, or fail.
Coolio, thanks for the feed back. :3

So I was wondering, does magic need to be based on relatable concepts or a more realistic sci-fi to successfully be implemented?

My preference when designing & creating magic for my worlds walks a bit of a balancing act. On one hand I want to have an understanding of why it exists and what it's capable of. Without any structure magic lacks direction and boundries, which oddly enough, results in it being less interesting to me as a storyteller.

On the other hand I have a strong preference to create and protect an element of mystery around my magic. I don't want it becoming chemistry. Its rituals & manipulation shouldn't be too formulaic & precise. Where as good science produces highly predictable outcomes (at least that's my understanding of it), my magic is much less predictable. It's essentially untamable. To manipulate it takes courage, not just knowledge.

Preference is always key. With that being said, I prefer a rational, logical explanation of why magic exists in a certain world and a genetic or biological description would appease me greatly. It's one of the things I search for in any piece of writing with magic in it. And typically, including a scientific explanation of why magic exists in a given RP typically enhances the players' understanding of the world and how magic works in it.

Also, I couldn't help but notice,

Despite kakashi's early warning about overusing chakra turning to dire consequences and death, no one has ever died from over using chakra.

Ironically, there is one person who's died from overusing chakra. Kakashi dies from feeding too much chakra into his sharingan, but gets revived by Nagato's Rinne Rebirth jutsu.

Preference is always key. With that being said, I prefer a rational, logical explanation of why magic exists in a certain world and a genetic or biological description would appease me greatly. It's one of the things I search for in any piece of writing with magic in it. And typically, including a scientific explanation of why magic exists in a given RP typically enhances the players' understanding of the world and how magic works in it.

Also, I couldn't help but notice,

Ironically, there is one person who's died from overusing chakra. Kakashi dies from feeding too much chakra into his sharingan, but gets revived by Nagato's Rinne Rebirth jutsu.
Haha I actually stopped around pein(pain? 6 paths guy?),but no summary or friend ever told me anyone died from chakra over use! In fact the only person that should have died via that was gai and he didn't die....

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it :)
My preference when designing & creating magic for my worlds walks a bit of a balancing act. On one hand I want to have an understanding of why it exists and what it's capable of. Without any structure magic lacks direction and boundries, which oddly enough, results in it being less interesting to me as a storyteller.

On the other hand I have a strong preference to create and protect an element of mystery around my magic. I don't want it becoming chemistry. Its rituals & manipulation shouldn't be too formulaic & precise. Where as good science produces highly predictable outcomes (at least that's my understanding of it), my magic is much less predictable. It's essentially untamable. To manipulate it takes courage, not just knowledge.
I get that it's a balancing act. I've roleplayed in blach roleplays that were basically beat em ups. And in order to expand beyond bleach science was used,but it essentially went overboard and everything became dry. I'll keep that in mind going forward,but what do you mean by mystery.

Are we talking gradual shonen ramp up or.... I really don't know. What do you mean by keeping an element of mystery around yer magic?

Also that reminds me of the warnings around fate stay night's master summoning ritual...but again, no one ever dies doing what's supposed to be a do or die ritual if done wrong. lol

thanks for the feedback! I do like yer style.

When it comes to magical things within a series I prefer them to be explained fairy well and to the extent that you can predict how things will work usually.
The same goes for RP for me. I think it helps to lay out how things work within the RP even better.
I've only ever really been exposed to those precise kind of systems however, so maybe I'm super biased.

What do you mean by keeping an element of mystery around yer magic?

I mean that I don't want to design a magic system to such a detail that it's function and utility begins to feel mundane. Mundane, for me, is the antithesis of magic. For example, the automobile with its internal combustion engine is an engineering marvel. But because we understand every facet of how it operates, we no longer perceive it as extraordinary. Another example would be if a modern illusionist/magician were to explain to me every detail of how he or she performs the tricks in their magic act, and then afterwards perform the very act for me - it would undoubtably decrease my sense of amazement of the performance.

I want my world's magic to feel amazing, so I try and keep it somewhat mysterious/undefined.

When it comes to magical things within a series I prefer them to be explained fairy well and to the extent that you can predict how things will work usually.
The same goes for RP for me. I think it helps to lay out how things work within the RP even better.
I've only ever really been exposed to those precise kind of systems however, so maybe I'm super biased.
I've only ever played rp's where it was either dice rules or free for all. I'm glad I asked this question because now I'm more confident when it comes to actually trying to devise my own magic system of logic.

Thanks
I mean that I don't want to design a magic system to such a detail that it's function and utility begins to feel mundane. Mundane, for me, is the antithesis of magic. For example, the automobile with its internal combustion engine is an engineering marvel. But because we understand every facet of how it operates, we no longer perceive it as extraordinary. Another example would be if a modern illusionist/magician were to explain to me every detail of how he or she performs the tricks in their magic act, and then afterwards perform the very act for me - it would undoubtably decrease my sense of amazement of the performance.

I want my world's magic to feel amazing, so I try and keep it somewhat mysterious/undefined.
Hmm, that makes sense. Man why are rp'ers so hard to please. Too much freedom and they ask for a rulebook. Rules to strict and they want more freedom.

:notlikethis: xD

I'll keep that in the back of my mind though. I share the same stance in that I would not want to make magic boring. As it's supposed to be what cures my boredom and perform miracles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back