• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Puellae Tenebris (powered by the apocalypse)

Quincunx

inactive

Puellae Tenebris Somnia Nova
a dark magical girl story, powered by the apocalypse

You're a magical girl.

You're the reincarnation of one of the most powerful and beautiful women to grace this earth. When you aren't pretending to be normal, you protect your city from monsters called geists, and collecting the dream seeds they drop.

It's not a simple story of dual identities, though. The longer you work with the other magical girls, the more you realize not all of you trust one another. The competition for dream seeds threatens to get violent, and the entanglement of all your past lives isn't helping either. You're not sure you can trust your fluffy mascot either - is he telling the whole truth? The void, a psychic jumble of the unknown, looms ever closer to your consciousness. You wonder whether to trust it, or the waning forces of friendship and love. Or do you retreat inward, trusting no one but yourself?

This is Puellae Tenebris Somnia Nova, a dice-based game of magical girls, magical battles, stormy and sunny relationships, and dark, dark secrets.

Other things to know:
  • Puellae Tenebris is powered by the apocalypse, which means it's a hack of the game Apocalypse World. It uses Apocalypse World's dice system and fiction-focused GMing style.
  • I wrote the handbook to Puellae Tenebris (it's here under its working title Sad Magical Girls), and now I'm looking for people to playtest it. It's playable, but it's not finalized. We will have fun, and I will iron out things that don't work.
  • The name translates to "Girls of Darkness New Dreams". If my Latin isn't failing me.
Comment if you're interested, or if you have questions or other thoughts! Thanks!

Medium: Discord

Could be tempted with that. Need to read the rules to get an idea.
I can help with that! A summary of the rules is:
  • The way player characters take action is moves. To make a move, roll 2 six-sided dice and add a bonus/penalty for a stat. (Other bonuses, such as from previous moves, can be applied too.) If the sum is 10 or more, you get a favorable outcome. If it's 7-9, that's a partially favorable outcome or hard bargain. If it's a 6 or less, that's an opportunity for the MC (GM) to complicate life.
  • The instructions for players are in the Player Reference Booklet, and in the playbooks (character sheets). Basically, pretend to be a normal girl, and collect dream seeds, plus unique objectives that come with your specific character.
  • The MC has three main rules when running the game; everything they say needs to follow one of the rules:
    • Play to find out what happens (not decide what happens)
    • Make the magical girls' lives not boring
    • Create a city and magical world that are vibrant and scary in their own ways
That's the basic gist of it. If you want more detailed information, I can answer your questions. But also, here are the two main rules links:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lhBZM7_yr8arCWCbYBmmBsEeVHQq5LYOaXDJjZmZrSM (made as a way for players to quickly look up moves and mechanics)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BpoHs5dNX8XiWXv-_szKgW8udwBnlk3qei6NmoJrNCA (made for prospective MCs so they can get a feel for how everything works and why it is the way it is)

Thank you for showing interest in Puellae Tenebris!

Going to ask now, but is this play by post on forum ? I'm British and Time Zones make live games difficult with US based players.

Going to ask now, but is this play by post on forum ? I'm British and Time Zones make live games difficult with US based players.
This is on Discord, and I'm in the US. I understand if you don't want to play based on that. However, I have a playgroup on another site where four of us are in the US and one of us is Australian, and we're making it work during the evenings. So, I do hope it's not a problem, but I won't be offended if playing this is not in the cards. :(

Weekdays are rough (12 hours days currently), so they're probably out of the question. Weekends are open, though I need to know ahead of time so I don't get group conflicts either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back