Viewpoint Public or private 1x1s?

A Sparkling Zombie

Once bitten, twice sparkling!
Roleplay Type(s)
Occasionally, I experience an odd phenomenon where I happen to glance at the 1x1 board and remember that it does in fact exist.

It spurred a thought, so the question is: when doing 1x1s, do you prefer public threads or PMs? Why?

I can appreciate the privacy of PMs and respect a partner's wish for it, but I admit I do like public threads. It feels less like a secret, and then I can also share the fun words with friends.

Always PM. More privacy, plus I feel self-conscious about my writing.

Private due to the drama that ensued from being on sites with one plot/group setting and people going mental over someone getting a post before them. I was never caught in this drama bc I always made a point to reply in the order posts were received but if my muse gets stuck on one person then everyone gets held up. I won’t do this anymore, unfortunately. 👀 But no one gets daily posts from me since I’m a slow writer. 😂

Always PM. I'm shy 😅

Speaking of PMs, there were indeed talks of deleting them in the past but we rejected the idea because of how many roleplays happen in PMs, so there are no plans to delete them.

Always PM. I'm shy 😅

Speaking of PMs, there were indeed talks of deleting them in the past but we rejected the idea because of how many roleplays happen in PMs, so there are no plans to delete them.
Terrible idea, especially considering almost all pre-planning happens over PM's as well.

I usually do private 1 x 1’s but I don’t mind a public from time to time.

My writing sucks and I don’t need people seeing it so I do prefer the privacy of PMs tho.

Always PM. I'm shy 😅

Thank you. My fears have been relieved. ❤️

I am fine with both. I don't mind my writing being public and I also don't mind keeping it private if my partner is more comfortable writing over PMs.

It's DMs for OOC chat and a public thread for in character posting. While I don't mind RPing over personal messages I find it easier to separate IC from OOC this way.

I roleplay exclusively on threads. I've always found them more convenient and easier to use, especially as someone who likes to code but also because I found them easier to navigate and they had access to more tools (how much this holds up I don't 100% know as PMs got more attention and access to similar tools over the years, but I still think there's a few things at least that threads have PMs don't) and I found it easier to remember posts from threads as opposed to PMs.

As for the matter of privacy, when it comes to a roleplay one of my core motivations for RPing to begin with is to share what I come up with, and I strive to make the best work I can with my posts, characters, settings etc... In that sense, if anything, it makes me happy if people would read my RPs and enjoy them.

And here I come to remind people they can do both. Private threads in your private workshop.

It’s what I do cuz I love chapters to hold world-building info. Plus if you mark it correctly you can make it editable by your partner as well.

I prefer PM when it comes to 1v1 sessions. I am incredibly self-conscious of my writing, but I also hate the prospect of someone messaging me to criticize my writing when it's not for them.

In group rps it's fairly different since everyone is writing in a (semi-)public setting.

Not on this site but on another popular rp site, I hated doing public threads because sometimes trolls would decide to post their commentary. And that was a pretty frequent thing. I know that doesn't happen anymore but I still feel nervous doing public threads for fear someone will try that again. It's why I'm always looking for offsite stuff or if people insist I'll do PMs here if I can remember to sign in.

Oh damn you have? 😳

I’m just very self conscious about it.

Usually why I end up doing PMs.

Thank you tho it means a lot to hear you say that. :)
Writers are their own worst critics. It's true. Being self-conscious is one reason why I stick to PM's. Plus I cover a lot of sensitive topics in my RP's so it's best to just keep them private to partners who have already expressed being comfortable with such themes.

And here I come to remind people they can do both. Private threads in your private workshop.

It’s what I do cuz I love chapters to hold world-building info. Plus if you mark it correctly you can make it editable by your partner as well.
Can you explain this?

Can you explain this?

So everyone has a private workshop where they can post threads that are viewable only by themselves and whatever collaborators they choose to add.

So I just make my roleplays as threads with collaborators in that section. Not only is it private it also allows me to make various posts editable by everyone in the roleplay.

If you are curious about how the collaborator thing works I can send you screenshots after my shift today.

So everyone has a private workshop where they can post threads that are viewable only by themselves and whatever collaborators they choose to add.

So I just make my roleplays as threads with collaborators in that section. Not only is it private it also allows me to make various posts editable by everyone in the roleplay.

If you are curious about how the collaborator thing works I can send you screenshots after my shift today.
Ooo! Yes, please! 😆

At the moment I'm fine with either! I have one roleplay in the public forums section and a few in DMs, and they're both working out just fine. I think that it depends on how much you care about other people seeing your writing. Me personally, I couldn't care less, especially since some people like to browse through to get inspiration or read a cool a story.

I honestly have been burned by 1x1 so many times over the years I don't do them anymore.

I prefer public though because of all the issues I've had. Just too many creepy people trying to be creepy. I feel the pressure of public eyes keeps the creeps away, sometimes.

I'm such a noob that I didn't even know you could make private one x one through DM or the private workshop ! XD

I always went the thread way as it just seemed how you were suppose to do it ? Dunno if it make sense ?

But even then I think it will depend on the rp and my partner if it's private or not. As if there is one thing I learned is that you will have more difficulty getting people to care about your writing then the opposite. So I'm not really worry about plagiarism and such
#life is unfair for writers

Like, I rarely read others one x one if never. So won't be surprised if it's the same for most users. As why would you do that ? I mean I know it can seem like a book but...let's be honest most of the time you are only interested in the response because it has something to do with you. ╰(▔∀▔)╯

Plus, I be glad if my writing inspired people as if I share it then I don't mind if they take it. I expect it even, it's the internet and–god bless people on this site are very polite most of the time– the second you share something it doesn't belong to you anymore whether you want it or not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It will be taken and change and credit will probably be lost. So any ideas or characters I wish to remain mine I don't share anywhere and keep them for me. Simple as that.

On another note it be could if you could allow only certain people from commenting so there isn't the possibility of trolls and such.

i like larger rp groups bc i find theres more opportunities to do things and its hectic but in a good way. lots of fun!!!!

theres something about publicly tweeting your responses with no context that just makes the rp more fun

I've always done private 1x1s because I've never learned how to maintain threads lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back