• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Proteus Effect

Okay, an early RP "critique":

Caution: Exhibiting Powers. The RP's NPC's are going to react with one very critical response to evidence of powers, serious infections, etc. In two words? Nation Security.

Infections become a matter for the CDC with the potential to get the region NUKED. Right now the one giving a sign of infection is James Michael. Think like a doctor. Serious burns and wounds require follow up and wound re-dressing. If they spot one patient with symptoms like that, they start checking all patients for symptoms like that.

Powers? Well, one very good example was from X Men where the government was discussing the threat that mutants posed. The specifically mentioned a girl who could walk through walls. No secrets would be safe. That will be viewed as a threat to National Security. Civil Rights quickly get thrown out the window. Powers do not have to be destructive to be seen as a threat.

Secrecy: As Duncan and Amber, in our last post suggested, the radiation had to come from somewhere. Duncan is correct. The government isn't saying anything about what they did. They really shouldn't be embarrassed. They made the only response they could under the circumstances. It was the wrong one, but they couldn't know that. The meteor had behaved with what appeared to be hostile intent. They were literally aiming at major cities ... like a UFO invasion.

Relief Stations: The Travel Plaza in Ridgefield, NJ had hundreds of survivors, and more were brought in from the surrounding area. People don't usually get individual rooms. They don't just get up and walk around. The place is run like a MASH unit. You might get moved in with less critical patients, or they might release you to free up a bed. But if you were brought in with serious injuries, you really should be going nowhere. (This is why we left Duncan and Amber with only minor injuries, no radiation.)

Once free to move, the relief station serves as a place to provide food and temporary shelters. Again, no real privacy unless you can arrange your own. But it isn't as though there are armed guards to pen you in. The impact craters are taped off like crime scenes and guarded. Now there you WILL get shot if you try to cross their line. They have no sense of humor. And it will be a justified shooting. Radioactive material is nothing to play around with. It can be turned into a dirty bomb.

Traffic: At the moment only emergency personnel and military are allowed to use vehicles on the roads. On the morning of the 28th, commercial drivers will start transporting cargo containers to relief stations. Public transport will start to make a partial recovery. In a week, disaster crews will have major roads open, but traffic will suck. Power should have been restored in most areas.

Internet: will come back briefly on the 29th. It will be sluggish, then crash again. They will try again three days later. After a week things should start to return to normal. You can't just leave a city with 10 million people not get things restored for long.

For those of you NOT near Duncan and Amber, feel free contact one another to see if you want to have characters meet up. (The colleges are probably closed, though student centers may reopen. It IS summer.) If you want Sharlene and myself to try to post something to help - or another member - by all means. Just make sure we can all tell who is doing what. And get permission from the people you are helping.

Are we able to discuss what our powers are out of character? I'm kind of curious to know what everyone else is getting.

Well, some might prefer the surprise. I would just let them find out by reading.

Well, Amber and I tend to joint post a lot. We can't keep two laptops running in out truck without killing the truck batteries. (My laptop is a power hog.)

You guys will soon find out what Duncan and Amber can do. We'll describe it well enough. Duncan tends to analyze things to death. So when he meets James Michael, I will likely add some description if Writer misses any. And we will likely have to do that more than once as it will be an evolving thing.

Alright, that makes sense. :)

So, any one in the NYC that wants a partner, I'm definitely open. When I get back to my house I'll make a post about Kyle going back to his apartment to find it rather ruined.

Don't forget to put the header at the top of your posts so people know what time your post takes place at and where you are at.

Yeah ... the times may be about to get very important. You may have Special Forces hunting all of you very soon. Still a couple scenes away from that happening, but about to become very likely. Shoot to kill orders too if you resist. And if you escape into the populace ... nuke the region.

Isn't everyone still alive in the region registering low doses of radiation too? If they aren't they're dying of radiation poisoning right? So if everyone normal in the area is already dying, it doesn't seem to make sense to nuke the whole area when they've already got a large quarantine field setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharlene and I are now taking over ALL military, Nat Guard, CDC, emergency personnel NPC's.

Well this sucks for my guy - his passive side effects are already showing and he's already an outcast ( being a minority and European ).

Anyone interested in meeting a Germanic 6,5 black man?

From my understanding, I don't think it will matter too much. Pretty sure you all will get taken shortly after Duncan, Amber and James get taken.

I am sending marines to pick up Kyle and Willow. No reason I can send someone to pick up Alex. LOL, I should have sent Jasmine...

You gotta let her get her toolbelt first. D: Are you working on a post now? Can I post first so she can get her toolbelt? o3o

Thought they were on their way to Kyle's first? It doesn't really matter. These marines are actually going to HELP.

Meh, Alex will run away anyway, I mean from the shock of not being able to see his reflection/shadow is pretty intense. Yeah, go with the 'run away from myself' cliche... unless we have all of central park surrounded by a fence or guarded by military personel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back