• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Project A.R.E.C.O.B.

Sizniche

This profile is no longer in use
Roleplay Availability
July 31st, 2098. Earth is suffering from a massive overpopulation crisis. It has been, in fact, for over 100 years. Population on Earth is a staggering 15 billion. Earth can barely support human life, and human life can barely live off of Earth. Earth is being pushed too hard, and unless a solution can be found, Earth will likely give under the stress and be unable to support life. Solutions in the past have been attempted, such as colonies on the moon and Mars, but they barely dent the population, and they still need resources from Earth. Many world leaders met on this day to discuss a solution to the problem, and thus Project A.R.E.C.O.B. was born.

The world leaders realized humans couldn't live nearly long enough, let alone stand the loneliness, to make the several-lightyear travels of space. They couldn't in survive places without oxygen, nitrogen, or an ozone layer without expensive equipment, and were just all-around frail. Humans couldn't be the ones to go out and find a new home for themselves; that is why they made machines that would do it for them. Project A.R.E.C.O.B., or Android Research and Evaluation of Celestial Objects and Bodies, introduced a whole new kind of robot.

Androids had been made before, but not like this. These androids think and felt like humans, but they could be shot into space under incredible g-forces humans could never survive and not even damage a part, their battery can go for hundreds of years without recharge in their low power state, and almost indefinitely when hooked into a charger, they don't require oxygen or air pressure in their ship, radiation has no effect on them, and even if they are almost completely annihilated, their conscience can be recovered and put into a new body from their Essential Functions Chip, which is designed to be near indestructible. If anything had a chance of surviving in space, it was them. They all also had specialties. Some androids were built to protect the other androids from native animal life, others were designed to study them. Some androids were pilots, some were engineers, still others were physicists.

Their mission is to evaluate planets, going from star system to star system, finding ones feasible for human life. When they find one, and are sure it's safe, they place a beacon on it programmed with all the necessary information of the planet, and move onto the next. Their mission is projected to last twenty-thousand years.

You will play the role of one of these androids on the mission to find new, feasible world. The roleplay will be based around the exploration of the worlds, the interactions of the androids, and the challenges some of the planets may pose. It will have a stat system, dice roles (After all, this is in the Dice section,) and turn-based combat.

Since the only roleplaying system I am even vaguely familiar with is D&D (and certainly not familiar enough to run a game on it,) chances are it will be something I'll throw together just to make the game work to start, and I would improve it over time using experience and player feedback.

Hmm, well, it's just a thought, but it's hard to come up with a good tabletop roleplaying game, and it's doubly hard if you haven't had much experience with the plethora of options. There are some fantastic, flexible and simple to learn systems out there, so it might be worth looking into a few, if only to draw inspiration for creating your own.

Fate Core is particularly simple and flexible. It's essentially designed for easy hacking into any conceivable setting, and has a very few well chosen rules.

Eclipse Phase is a very complex beast, but it captures the sort of transhumanist space exploration concept you outlined extremely well straight out of the box.

If you decide you've got what it takes to come up with an interesting system from scratch, I might be interested, depending on how it comes out. I think it's an interesting premise.

I think I'll look into the two system's you've mentioned, thank you for the suggestions.

I'm not sure suggesting Eclipse Phase to someone who admits to barely having D&D mastered at this point is a responsible decision. It is an especially complicated system, even if the dice mechanics are easy enough.

But yeah, it is all over these themes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will probably be a laugh, but I am a very fast learner.

Hey, if you can digest that monster (I couldn't), it's about perfect. The default setting has humans and bioengineering run rampant, in addition to the cyborg options, but uploaded personalities in mechanical bodies is already a starting option, and it covers the transhumanism really well.

Other simple options could include the Cypher system. Like Fate it's very simple and designed to be hackable.

I think Eclipse Phase will work; I have ritalin and more time than I know what to do with, so, ya know.

I'd be interested in an alternate universe Eclipse Phase game about exploring the galaxy. Or a regular Eclipse Phase Gatecrashing game, I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back