• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Private: The Magic in Me

"Grizz has known Abigail Truman for three years, if he got the tiniest idea that I've been fooling him...." she rubbed the bridge of her nose. She had gotten so used to playing different people...she never had to be herself around others. Not since she was a small child.

She sat down across the two of them. "Look....I've been doing this a lot longer than the both of you. John, you just got introduced to this less than a week ago. Max...you grew up with it around. and yes you've been on missions, but you've only been on them where you were given instructions, there was a team and you weren't alone. I've had to do this since I was a little girl. You two have to trust me...ok? Or we're going to get killed."

With a sigh, she unfolded the piece of paper and rested it on her lap. "And maybe I should trust you too. Alright, the coin task force is looking for isn't that dangerous. This is an item I don't mind giving to them. So what do you two suggest on how we grab it?"

"You've only been on them where you were given instructions, there was a team, and you weren't alone." Max wished that was the case. He had done that once before, years and years ago, when he was just starting out as a hunter in his teens. He suddenly remembered the face, voice, and even scent of a young girl who had been dead for years.

"Right." He said, trying to push away the image in his brain. When Sam mentioned trust, he realized just how important that was. Now that he was blind, he had to trust Sam that she wouldn't get too over her head. Or she wasn't trying to sneak anything past him. It would be tough at first, but he needed to place 100% of his trust in her. "First off, where is this coin?"

"And is it worth anything?" John asked, snatching the paper from Sam's lap.

She must have hit a chord, he practically twitched at her comment about his experience. Shit. It wasn't like he told her about his missions, how was she supposed to know.

Not like she told him anything either. Shit....

She was vulnerable here. She didnt like it. But max was blind....and he probably would be killed by his former family. If not killed waterboarded until he was fully brainwashed back into the fold. John was a kid, he needed her. Believe it or not, they needed her....which meant she needed to trust them.

God help her.

"Possibly five grand, if you have the two coins together. It's not the most expensive artifact out there, but they are useful. There is a family of hunters that rely on relics, this is one of them. Coins are common for them, so a hunter probably does and his coins got lost. Task force is taking the opportunity to grab them. There are two coins. You can see what the other coin seea, vice versa. They come on handy. But no, we'recommend not going to try and take this for ourselves. The screamer pistol is more important.....and it's at the museum of art in Boston. New exhibit. So, theoretically it should be easy."

So easy she wasn't needed, so why did grizz ask her to do it?

Nah....she was over thinking right now.

"The MFA? Haven't been there in years." Max ran his fingers along the paper, not really sure what he was expecting to learn from it. He grazed sam's fingers, feeling them twitch. He brought his hand back to his stick and tapped it on the ground a couple times. Thinking about they kind of guy Grizz was made him curious as to why Task Force wanted the coins in the first place. To sell them maybe? For all intents and purposes, they weren't worth much, like Sam said. But with the right buyer, someone could make an easy wad of cash at the end of the day.

"We should probably go tonight. Maybe use your skills to convince security to let us through right before the museum closes." Max turned to John. He didn't need to see to assume the boy was grinning ear to ear, this being the second time today he was being asked to use his powers.

"Don't have to tell me twice."

"Don't smile like that, then. Don't give me a reason to worry about this decision. Remember, your power is a gift, not a-"

"Yeah, yeah, not a right. We walk in, I tell the guards we're doing a study, we grab the coins, bring 'em to Grizz." John stopped to catch his breath. "Easy, right?"

"Should be."

Frank considered himself to be the moral compass of the people he had been around. He had a clear definition of what was right and what was wrong. Stupid morons talked about grey areas and complexities giving the irritating response of 'oh but you don't understand the full story', but Frank knew better. Frank knew all of that was complete and utter BULLSHIT. There was black and there was white. That's it. Anything else and you were fucking retarded.

He couldn't believe the numbers of retards in the world today. How they let evil just live among them so freely with idiotic grins plastered on their faces asking to be fucked over. Union was one of them, that fucker Cooke. Allowed a witch to integrate herself in their base. For what? For some lonely single young recruits to get a good fuck in when she went on base? For some magical items that needed to be destroyed and not kept?

Now it bit them in the ass. Now they were willing to listen when he had been right about that little I'm uncultured right from the start. Now was his chance to save the day. He was going to put a bullet in her head and get the respect he deserved. Throw Cooke out of office for his corruption, possibly kill him too, and take over Union. It was a solid well thought out plan.

Tired that the Wii game out on display at Gamestop was broken...that was the only explanation to why he kept losing, he left the mall. He'd have to get creative on tracking the bitch. And getting close he would have to get rid of her sight and cluster bang the shit out of her head so she couldn't think. Without thinking, no spells, no spells bitch was useless. Or he could sniper her from a distance and shoot her right between the eyes. But he'd have to know where she was going.

And he was shit out of luck there. How do you track a thing like that?

Frank stopped dead in his tracks when God himself gift wrapped what he wanted infront of him. There was Abigail Truman putting her hand ontop of the traitor Max Gardner...the little witch boy as well. The three of them with the audacity to be in Boston...casually talking.

God was clearly on his side for this. God put him here to kill the witch now.

He drew the gun he had found up in Maine and fired it.

Screams of panic erupted the mall.

--

Gun shot.

Sam jerked her head and saw Frank. She didn't have time to think, she pushed both boys hard to the floor, diving down herself. The bullet grazed her shoulder as she was going down, ripping her clothes and causing a hairline of blood, but nothing else. It landed itself at the park bench. The sound sent everyone in a panic running in all directions.

No magic directly infront of a crowd. They were next to a soda machine. Sam stretched her leg so her foot touched the machine, electrical sparks hit the cord and it seemed to malfunction. As Frank began to fire again, the machine fell to the ground acting as a small base of cover.

Max felt Sam yank his arm as she cursed, screaming for him and John to crouch. His ears were still ringing from the gunshot, temporarily deafened by the ringing in his ears.

"Now would be a very good time for some eyes." He said to either of them. He felt John touch the soda machine they were hiding behind but quickly grabbed the boy by the shoulder, forcing him back down. "WAIT."

John hit the machine open palm. "It's that Frank guy. You two wait here, I'm gonna-" Before the boy could get back up, Sam grabbed his arm. "I can do this! I can have him blow his brains out himself. All he needs to do is hear me! It's-"

As John was finishing his sentence, and Max was thinking of an idea to get them out of this mess, the hunter heard his contemporary scream. A couple other voices screamed out, as commands were called out.

What the hell was going on?

A new voice screamed out, this one as commanding as Cooke leading a party. "GET THIS GUY ON THE GROUND, NOW."

"YOU FUCKERS. YOU'RE GONNA LET HER GET AWAY. YOU-" Frank's screams were cut off as he was turned over on his stomach and face pressed into the tile floor. His swears and insults continued, even as they were considerably muffled at this point.

You need to get out of there. Now." Nadya's voice echoed in Max's brain. Not thinking, he answered her out loud. "Yeah, good idea." He placed his hands on Sam's and John's arms. "We need to leave before anything else happens. C'mon."

Sirens were heard, red, blue blinking lights.

Sam stared almost horrified at what John had suggested. As security cops and police officers tackled Frank to the ground, she grabbed John sternly looking at him. "We do not kill people."

"He killed Aunt Macey, he shot at you-"

"John. Listen. Now. We NEVER kill someone. We are not monsters. I don't want you to ever order someone that. Not anything similar to it."

"But he gets to just pick us-"

"We aren't them. We are never going to be them. There is a line, and you are never to cross that line. You understand?"

Frank was being tazered during his struggles. There was clapping heard which meant that the civilians were cheering the officers did their job. Sam looked around and almost teleported out but she glanced at a camera and stopped herself.

--

There was very little questioning. Maybe that was because John had looked at the officers and said, "Believe me, we don't know why he fired at us. You should investigate somewhere else."

That's kids power was amazing....and horrifying at how reflexive it was. It had no sign of it being used at all. She couldn't even feel him tap into his power, and that was the scariest bit.

They got a room at the Omni Park hotel in Boston. Sam sat on the bed, her arm bandaged from the grazed shooting. Her thumb pressed on her palm as she thought. There were high odds that Frank told Cooke they were here.

Maybe Max was right, coming here was suicide. She put the two of them in danger. Trying to calm down she took a deep breath and tried to calm down. She needed the screamer pistol.

Instead she rolled over on the bed next to Max. "You hanging in there?"

John was currently sitting on one of the hotel chairs by the desk aggravated Sam wouldn't let him kill the bastard.

Max carefully placed his sunglasses on the table next to him, and propped his head up with his hand. He thought about Sam's question. "I'm fine. Still getting used to... This, though. But other than that, I'm just glad to finally chill after the day we had."

He pictured Frank getting tossed into a police cruiser, before they drove off. He hoped that would be the last time they bumped into him.

Wishful thinking.

Both Sam and Max knew that the hunter would call the Union camp to get his bail paid for. He could only hope they would be long gone by the time that happened. Max touched Sam's bandages before asking her "how'd we do with this? I couldn't have done it without my wonderful assistant." He paused, the smile creeping along his mouth getting bigger. "Oh yeah, you did alright though."

She slugged his shoulder pretty hard with her good arm. "Jackass." Sam laughed. It died when she noticed the sad glint in his eyes. Eyes he couldn't even see out of anymore. "I want to show you something," She said tapping his shoulder to get him to sit across from her.

She saw him roll his eyes. "I get it. But trust me. Just sit indian style, hold out your hands." She folded her legs as she scooted to sit across from him. As he held out his hands she placed hers ontop and gave a light squeeze. "I have a theory. Could be wrong. If I am you can beat me with these pillows. But maybe you can see something now that I wouldn't have been able to show you before. I want you to concentrate on my hands. Just concentrate and whatever you feel just let it happen. Magic is...well its kind of like energy. And we all have parts of it. Some bigger than others. You have the amount of a farting sound." She laughed but then stopped. "But.....I want you to feel mine. Warning you...it can be a little bright."

She let out a breath and closed her own eyes. This was something she hadn't even shown her father how to do...or let him see. But...Max needed a pick-me-up...and maybe this was it. And maybe if he felt it, he would see there was no reason he could ever be afraid of her. Because it wasn't scary...or nasty...it was warm like a green little sun.

"Okay, okay, I give." Max said, sighing. He felt Sam's hands on top of his, and in a couple seconds, he knew what she was warning him about. A bright, green light shone in her chest, filling the rest of her body with the other worldly light, very much like a circuit board. It carried through the rest of her body, down her arms and legs, even extending to her hands and feet. He suddenly understood her powers a little more than he had before. It was the same exact color her eyes shone when she was using her powers.

More importantly, Max realized, was he could see.

Holy shit, he could see.

"I-I can see you."

He heard John get up from the desk he was at. "You can what?!"

Max turned his head to face the boy. He furrowed a brow when he discovered he couldn't see the boy. He quickly looked at Sam again, confirming he could still see the light within her. "I can... Kinda see her. Like this green light. What's the deal, teach?"

"You can see it?! You can see me!" She grinned. Theory proven. "Not so scary after all, right?" she smiled. Her fingers had laced with his when he had grown excited, but she hadn't really noticed.

"Phoenixes cure everything, but your sight didn't return....so I had a thought. You were cured, but I think it cured the part of you that you lost. You have a very very very small bit of magic in you Max. I think it helped...open it up. So you can see it. "

"Can he see me?"

Sam nodded. "Yes, yours is...is different. You have an aura around you. Most people don't have this much magic in them, if anything Max you're going to see small little whiffs of magic inside people, but you'll see monsters clear as day. You just have to concentrate on just letting it in and you'll see it. YOu can even see miles and miles apart if you want to tap into someone."

Max laughed as he heard the excitement in Sam's voice. "Y-yeah, I guess I can." His own excitement was beginning to rise, as he felt his heartbeat quicken. He finally started to feel like he wasn't at a disadvantage anymore. All he needed was to figure out what he was going to do in a fight. The idea of him being able to see an individual's magical aura gave him hope he would be able to locate an opponent that was nearby. He smiled a little more when Sam mentioned he had a little bit of magic in him, vaguely remembering the first night they spent together.

He concentrated on John now, eventually noticing the light blue aura that surrounded him. It was a subdued blue, but it seemed to be much denser than he expected. He wasn't too surprised by this appearance, considering just how much power the boy was probably carrying within him on a daily basis. "She's right, bud. I've got your color pinned down."

John rolled his eyes before smiling himself.

"Hold on. I can pinpoint people from miles away?" A devious idea entered Max's mind. "Well, let's see exactly what goes bump in the night out there."

Before Sam or John could interfere, Max closed his eyes and pushed his concentration past the walls of the hotel. Tens of hundreds of miles flew by, as thousands of different colors were laid out before him. Sam wasn't kidding, mostly everyone had at least a little bit of magic in them. It was just a matter of finally tapping into it. It wasn't until Max caught the feeling of a completely different power to make him stop. He wasn't entirely sure where they were, but the person didn't feel anything like Sam or John.

Whoever they were, they were holding tremendous power. It was like a fountain, seemingly never ending, and threatening to bubble over at any minute. A cold sweat beaded across Max's forehead, causing him to wipe it with his sleeve. "Holy crap." He looked right at Sam as he spoke. "Someone... or something isn't right out there. Can you feel that?"

"The girl in the blue hat." She didn't need to know what he was talking about. She knew. She felt it. That power she had eclipsed Sam's. It made hers feel like an insignificant light that could be snuffed out in just a blow of that power's direction, let alone what it could actually hold. "John, can you go down the hall and grab ice for the room?"

"We can just call room-"

"Can you get ice, John...please?"

He looked at the two of them, adjusting his hoodie as he slipped his hands in his pocket, the room key in there. "Fine. Whatever. I don't want to see the lovey dovey stuff anyways."

When the door was shut and john was gone, she rested her head against his chest. "This is why we have to risk task force and union....if that's after John...I'm not enough to stop it. What are we going to do?"

It wa probably the first time since Max had known Abby....Sam...where she had honestly asked him for his advice in something.

Max didn't even wait for the door to shut to place his arm around Sam's shoulder, absentmindedly moving his hand along her arm. He thought about her question, thinking about what they could possibly do to contain this problem. Whoever this girl was, she was definitely a threat. But what if she was like Sam? Maybe all she needed was some normal interaction in order to trust someone else.

He found himself speaking out loud. "We'll figure it out. Kinda like how we did with John. I've got a pretty good track record of getting along with powerful magic users, don't I?" He smiled at Sam, feeling the warmth that was radiating off her. He had to think, was she normally this warm, or was it from the light that was coming from within her? Either way, he was counting his blessings that she was seemed to be getting comfortable, after the day they just had.

His mind began to waver, though. What if she could see right through him? He might've looked like a blind guy, but now that he could sense auras now, maybe she could do the same thing? She was obviously extremely powerful, even more so than Sam. That much was evident. His fingers brushed against hers now, trying to keep both of them calm. "She's not gonna hurt you, Sam. No matter what."

"We feel sorry for you," Sam teased as her nose wrinkled. But she relaxed in his arms. John's aura was warm, hers was warm...that girl's...that girl's was not. It was a bottomless pit of horrifying.

If Max could sense magic, along with Sam...it must have run through his head that the girl with the blue hat could too. "She can't sense us. Not now anyways. I can cloak my aura." The warm light extingished in her for five seconds before she let out a breath and it returned, just to show Max. "I cloaked John's too. I just can't do a large amount of magic, if I do the cloak's down and she could spot us in seconds. If anything...she's searching. I've felt her searching when I was talking to Grizz....it was like feeling spiders up and down my spine..."

He promised her she wouldn't get hurt, she took his hand in hers and frowned. "Don't promise me anything, you can't keep Max. We have no control in this. I have to trust you..."her finger tracing the top of his hand. "That means you need to trust me. So we have to be a team."

His voice quieted down to a whisper, his words resting on the air as he spoke. "It's a promise I intend to keep, Sam. And believe me, I trust you. Much more than any hunter I've ever paired up with, that's for sure. I need you to do one thing for me, though." Sam truned her head, confused.

"Stay by my side. Our problems aren't gonna up and vanish in a day, but I know we can get through this together. Whatever will happen. Okay?"

She squeezed his hand in response. "i'm not going anywhere." How could she? He gave up everything to follow her. His family, his own tribe...and his very eyesight. No, he was going to be stuck with her for awhile. "But I think we need to get you in better fighting condition. We got our asses handed to us by hell hounds...when you had eyesight and I didn't have to cap my powers to keep us hidden. I'm gonna help you spar. Least you can see me."

Sam paused. "Is it scary....being blind?"

Max thought about her question. Was it scary? He hadn't really thought about his condition for an extended amount of time until now. He hadn't had the chance to, honestly. "Nah. I mean, it was a little discombobulating at first, walking without knowing where you are, but I kinda found my balance again after a while. I think it's because my brain knows it needed to adapt, fast." He realized he was rambling right now, a little caught up on the medical side of his blindness. While they were driving earlier in the day, he was wondering why his vision went when Frank smacked him with the pistol. Was he really hit that hard? Shouldn't his skull been at least fractured? Max blinked, catching himself before he completely zoned out.

He laughed. "Sorry, guess I zoned out for a second. But no. I wouldn't call it scary. Especially now I can do this whole... Kinda seeing thing." His smile widened when she said she'd teach him how to fight like this. That was something else he thought of. How was he going to be of any use to the group now? Granted, he could still throw a punch, but he was almost going to have to be taught from scratch, like he was more than ten years ago.

A bright light illuminated the room. The entire precinct just stared blank faced as a man took off his sun glasses and put a pen like item in his pocket. "None of you will remember the incident at the Prudential center. It was just your typical standard day today. Carry on."

Agent Hackett turned his attention back to a very fit man in his late fifties or sixties. The expression was something of irritance as there was no smile on his face. The two walked out of the building together and continued down the street. "You need to better control your men, Cooke. We have more important responsibilies than cleaning up Union messes."

"The matter is already being handled."

--

Frank was currently at Union base, binded to a chair with rope and duck tape and a towel over his face as buckets of ice water were being dumped over it. Only for it to be lifted up as the punisher demanded "What did you do wrong Frank?" "FUCK OFF" "Alright, do it again."

Over. And Over. And over again.

--

"It better. Next time we'll go directly to base and make it so none of you remember hunting or the supernatural at all. This stunt, shooting at the public, is the last one. I'm serious.

Cooke was serious about shoving his boot up this man's ass but he did not say a word.

"Turner is an asset of ours. What are you trying to do getting rid of it?"

"A witch is a witch. Unless you are willing to have her protected with legal ramifications, we still can go after witches as we please. I'm sure the government never planned on keeping her alive, only until her usefulness ended."

"You're hiding something." A car pulled up, black and slick, Hackett opened the passenger seat. "I don't have time to investigate it. We won't interfere, but if we need it, it will no longer be available for you to pursue. Do you understand?"

NOthing.

"Jeremy."

"Understood."

Hacket placed his shades back on getting in the car. The old man growled when it was gone, but he dug into his pocket and pulled out the picture with a coin. "What do you want with a magic coin?" he asked outloud knowing this was the Museum of Fine arts. "You're not stupid. You wouldn't come here to a viper's nest unless you needed this. But why?"

And what the hell did it have to do with his egg? He folded the sheet and started walking towards base. He had to plan for a little...meet and greet....later tonight.

--

Get ice. They didn't really want him to get ice. Grown ups were gross. John had gone downstairs to the main lobby seating area. He propped his backpack on his lap and took out the large egg. The egg itself was the size of his forearm. From elbow to just inside his palm. It was pale orange with brown little speckles. He sat it ontop of the back and looked at it.

"You're not going to leave me alone to do gross flirty things right?"

No response.

"Yeah, cause you're cool. What do you even look like in there? Are you even alive? Bags aren't really warm and I think you're supposed to heat eggs."

No response.

"You're hunted down like me. We share that in common. Lost your family too. At least your family can come back to life. Can they? Is that a real thing?"

No response.

John nodded. "You're going to need a name. Arnold. It suits you...Can you show me you're alive in there...so I know I'm not talking to a dead bird in an egg?"

A cooing sound came from the egg, it gently shook immitating something similar to a purr. John stared wide eyed nearly jumping. "Holy shit." He stuffed the egg back inside the bag and ran towards the elevators.

--

Sam straightened herself noticing how comfortable she was getting. A small wiggle out of his hug she got to her two feet and grabbed his hand yanking him on his. "Alright, goof. We have a few hours until we leave for the Museum tonight. Let's get some training in."

Max stared blankly ahead, taking in what Sam just said. "Training? Like.. Here? In the hotel room? I know I can't... see, see, but I'm gonna guess this room isn't exactly big enough for two adults to spar. Especially considering the fact that you're probably gonna be handling me like a rag doll." He couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous this all seemed right now.

A couple minutes ago, he found out he still had some form of vision, and now Sam was going to teach him how to fight again. He paused, before asking her another question. "Wait, you know how to spar? Since when?"

"Max. I want you to stop and think....do you think anyone that is out to kill us is going to wait until we are I'm thr perfect conditions to fight? Also....you'respect blind as shit. You should probably get used to the fact you're going to fight in cluster fuck places."

She got in a comfortable stance, her fists by her chest. "Not professionally. No. Buty dad was very very diligent at making sure I could defend myself. Give me your best shot."

She was going to be a little ass and conceal her own magic to him once he got a feel of what he was doing. Not today, today was just to build his confidence back up.

He needed it.

He thought about what Sam said. She did have a point. For the first time in a while, Nadya's voice rang in his head, surprising him for a couple seconds. Cutie makes sense. Don't slap her around too hard. Unless she wants you to, of course. Her young laugh faded away as her quip ended as well. Trying his hardest to ignore the sudden redness in his cheeks, Max hopped on his toes for a couple seconds. He tossed his sunglasses onto the bed, and sighed.

"Alright. Here I-" Max didn't give her the time he would've taken to finish his sentence. Lunging at her, fist clenched, he realized just how bad a decision that was. Instead of pulling his punch, however, he struck her in the chest, palm open. He heard an audible gasp come from her as she took a couple steps back. Sam slowly brought her chin up, smiling as she did so.

Yeah. Max thought to himself as he watched her aura stand up straight again. This looks bad.

One palm to the chest and he knocked the breath right put of her. She staggered a step and looked at him wide eyed and caught off guard. This was a training session and he went for her mid sentence.

Hee gut reaction was to punch his windpipe, potentially cruahing it. Hwr fist clenched and knuckles whitening she relaxed the grip.

This was max. This was a training session. She needed to calm her and her pride down.

"You want to play that way...we'll play that way." She said before her fists went like rapid fire into his chest.

When he swung in his attempt to hit her back she grabbed his arm in mid swing. Sam twisted it backwards pushing it against his back and against the wall. "Try to get out of it."

She wasn't riducling him or boasting she practically pinned him, but a teaching moment for him to think on his feet.

Max grit his teeth, trying to come up with any possibilities of getting out of the hold Sam had him in. He put one foot on the wall and pushed, using his weight to propel himself and Sam away from the wall. Before he knew it, they were both falling backwards. Catching himself, he grabbed Sam's leg, causing her to fall to the ground on her back with a satisfying 'thud'.

She looked up at him, her aura an even deeper shade of green. Max kneeled next to her. "Truce for now." He looked at her. "Seriously." He put his hands out in mock surrender. "You good?"

A small 'oomph' escaped her lips as she hit the carpet floor. Max held her to to the ground, knees pressed between each hip as he sat up, hands up asking for peace. Sam held in the huff that almost flared through her nostrils. He couldn't see the visible aggrivation in her eyes for being taken down so easilly, but he would hear the huff. Instead she smiled. Swinging her right leg, she used it to clench his upper thigh, throwing him on the ground and sitting ontop of him in one quick motion.

Hands pressed on his arms, she sat on his pelvis. "Now we are even."

Dirty motherfucking cheater starting in mid sentence to throw her off.

The hotel door opened, John stood at the door frame. He held the egg in his hand ready to tell Sam and Max that it talked...or cooed...or something. But as soon as he opened the door he saw Sam straddling Max on the carpet, the two of them with small beads of sweat on their forehead.

Did they kick him out to get ice to...gross. Gross. GROSS.

"John...we were sparring."

"Sparring...yeah. Sure," His nose wrinkled as he shoved the egg back in his bag. "Go back to kissing eachother. I'm going for a walk." John slammed the door behind him.

The moment the words escaped his mouth, Sam felt a large loss of control as she grabbed the collar of Max's shirt, pulling him forward just enough for her to lean in and kiss him hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back