• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Private: The Magic in Me

"Did you see your sad puppy face earlier when you said you weren't? Jeeze, I gotta make sure I never see that again."

He poked and teased her about what she did and she jabbed his side with her elbow. But some of it was true. All she did was just play keep away with a demon and get used as a chew toy. John saved both their asses....but Max handled the hell hounds pretty well on his own....well sort of. The stitches across his entire body said otherwise.

"I'll do it. If things get out of hand I can calm the situation." She paused. "But I only do this to people if I have to. I joke with Seamus because I like to get a rise out of him...but I honestly don't use my powers just for fun or shits. Ok?" Last thing she needed was the hunter to chastise her if she had to go to...extreme measures...with John's aunt. The boy nodded leaving the room.

It seemed like he didn't even make it down stairs "Wait, Aunt Macey you don't need that! They are my friends!"

The door pushed open and no one was there. For two minutes, before a small mousy woman stepped out cringing and trying not to shake. She was holding a frying pan. "Wh-what are y-you d-d-d-d-oing wi-with my ne-ne-nephew!" She stammered. Macey grew up with a stuttering problem, and the more nervous she got the more it came out.

"My name is Ab..."Sam sighed, looking at Max. "My name is Sam, this is my friend Max. You don't have to believe us now, but we are here to keep your nephew safe."

"I wa-want you tw-two out of m-m-m-my house. Sta-stay away fr-from him. I wi-will ca-call the co-cops and...."Macey seemed to drop her speech and tilt her head as her brown eyes began to glow bright green.

Sam's eyes had the same bright glow to them. "We are not a threat, Macey. We are friends. We only care about John's best interest. Calm down and breathe before you hurt yourself."

John looked at Max to see if this was ok. His first instinct was to snap at Sam and tell her to stop. Whatever she was doing. He was beginning to trust her again and here she was...probabl hurting his family.

"Ok....you're going to listen to us....really listen. Then you can handle this however you want...but not until you hear us out. Understood?"

The woman nodded, her body seemed more relaxed and loose, she dropped the frying pan from her grip and just stared at the warm, calm bright green abyss as if there was nothing else.

"The supernatural stuff that your world has created books and movies for exists. But there is no romancing it. It is dangerous and mean. People die. There are different groups across the world that dedicate their lives to fighting the supernatural so you can live a normal life Macey, that is my friend Max here. He's one of the very few hunters I actually trust. John is special. He's magical like me. When I was around his age my powers started to come into their own as well. When you are young, you are very impressionable and it's easy to mold you to whatever you want that person to become. There are very dangerous magic users out there, along with creatures. They form cults. One cult had discovered me in my home town and nearly destroyed it just to get their hands on me...to have me become a member of their ranks. A man saved me and protected me. I believe the same thing is happening to John. I think a different cult has discovered him and wanted him to join their ranks....or do something to him. He has been seeing people following him...and the three of us just fought a demon. I think the demon was sent to wipe out his family so he would have nowhere else to turn. It's very common for cults to do this to snatch children. John is still in danger...and by blood you might be too. You can decide whatever you want to do, Macey but his best chance at surviving this...while still being himself...is to have us around. I know witches, I am one...and you have a good hunter on your hands."

Sam still had the glow in her eyes as she turned to Max, but his didn't glow. "Anything you want to add before I let go?"

Max looked at Sam as she finished speaking to Macey. He noticed the similar green glint in their eyes as she did. Max was beginning to piece together that Sam's eyes would glow like that when she was using one of her spells. Was this some kind of hypnosis? It had to be. John's Aunt just stopped having her panic attack in a matter of seconds, looking as if she was listening to Sam's every word, probably even her breaths. He felt a small smile creep across his face when Sam said she not only trusted him, but considered him a friend. Any doubt about her mental state dissolved at that point. Whatever happened between them earlier was over and done with.

She's back.

When she asked Max if he wanted to add anything, he nodded. "And Macey, whatever you do, don't answer the door for anyone. Until you check who's there first." He paused, looking at John, who was just watching them poke and prod with his Aunt's brain. "It's okay. She's not in any pain, John. Promise." He brought his attention back to Sam. "Yeah. I think she'll be good now."

It was an unsettling feeling watching his aunt just look conked out of her brain staring at nothing and it came from the woman lying down battered and bruised. Was that what he was doing? when he got the demon to just go away...and people just happened to listen to whatever he said. It was odd, and he wasn't sure he liked it. He did notice that he didn't realize he was doing it, it was reflexive to him...but there was some concentration on Sam's part to make whatever she was doing work.

The glow snapped out when Max finished his sentence, her eyes returning to green Macey's body shook as she looked at the two of them and back at John. "D-do wh-whatev-ever you wa-want....bu-but Jo-John st-stays he-here..."

"You don't understand, whatever cult is coming for him....they might be a lot stonger than me. The best way I can protect him is-"

"He is st-staying he-here!" The woman stomped her foot and there was some semblance of control on her foot.

She let out a breath, looked at the kid and then back at Max. "I can...I guess I can put up protective magical wards to make it safer for him here." Which would maybe...extend his protection for...i don't know... a week if someone really wanted to get their hands on them.

--

No one...fucking NO ONE....had heard of Paddlewood. Fucking. Fuck. Fuck.

Frank sat in his car aggrivated by everything and the world. The world was out to get him. The world sent vampires that killed his wife, forcing him to send his daughter to live far away and now he had no power at all to kill a witch. A simple cocky son of a bitch witch. Was it too hard to ask to find Paddlewood so he could slit her fucking throat?!

APPARENTLY!

Fuckers.

As he looked at current maps, Frank was sporting several brusies and a mean shiner. He wasn't the most sociable of people. Ripping the map apart into pieces, the glove compartment popped open in his car. "What the fuck..." he went to slam it shut when a wooden carved box slid out. This was something he had never seen before. The craftman ship something of art.

It was a piece of shit. he went to dump it outside when the lid opened and there was one pistol. The box looked like it was meant to contain two, but only the left was there. He picked it up and examined it. In an instant it felt familiar to him....as if it was his all along. The box was stupid, but who would pass out on a free gun?

John stepped forward, seperating Sam and Max from his Aunt. "Auntie, please. I need to go with them. Let me go with Sam and Max, wherever they plan on going." He glanced back at them. He noticed Max's expression, silently understanding what had to be done. As he thought of what else to say, he had a sudden realization.

The demon at Collectibles vanished when he told it to.

It was almost like his words were law. Maybe if he said something was going to happen in the future, it had to come true. This logic spurred the rest of the words that left his mouth.

"Everything will be okay, Auntie. Just like Max said... I promise." It had to happen. He had said it. Sam and Max heard it, too. As he finished his sentence, Macey simply blinked, nodding at the three of them.

"Okay, John. If that is what makes you happy. Is there anything Auntie can do for you now?"

"Let them stay here for a couple more days. My friends are really hurt." Macey nodded, smiling. She reached out to John, pulling him close.

"Of course. I'm so glad you've made some friends, even though they're... Older, and... Really touchy." Max felt his cheeks redden, remembering Sam still having her head on his chest. Sam couldn't help but giggle at both. "It's been a tough time for you. Keep folks like that close. They can change your life in so many ways. Come downstairs soon, though. You do have homework to do."

John nodded. "Thanks Auntie, I'll be there in a few." She closed the door, eliciting a long sigh from the boy. He turned to Sam and Max, his face pale as a sheet. "How was that? This doesn't hurt her, right Sam?"

Wow...the kid ended her stutter.

Jesus, his powers eclipsed hers. It was slightly intimidating. Right now he was a good kid...just like she was. She was going to have to do everything and anything in her power to keep him good because....damn he could literally rule the planet without even trying. That was kind of scary. She gave a smile when he asked if it hurt. "No, I don't think so. When you did it to me, it didn't hurt. You might have hurt the demon, but we'll let you slide on that. Just uhhh....can you promise me you'll be careful what you say....just how you phrase things. I kind of have a bad feeling if you tell someone to go screw themselves....you can fill in the rest of the details."

John looked slightly flushed, "I wouldn't-"

"I was a teenager once too....You will...so just be careful. Your powers are awakening. As crazy as this sounds, John....this is probably the weakest you'll be. I'm kind of intimidated about what you will be capable of. It's going to be a very long road to help you cope and manage this."

"Well I can handle it. That's what superheroes do."

"Yeah...I guess your right. Rest up, I'll make sure nothing hits the house tonight."

The kid scurried off, shutting the door behind him. Sam struggled to sit up, the pain edging to the point her eye twitched and she tried to stifle the little yelp from her side. "He's a very powerful kid, Max. I hope I can handle this. Dad know what to do....he always does. He's in Colorado, so I think we should take him there." She paused and thought about the woman in the blue hat. "We might have to infiltrate a Task Force base. They have specific equiptment designed to hurt witches.That girl will go after him...with everything she has and I think its the only way we even stand a snowball's chance."

Max had known that 'Abby' was very confident in her skills. She rarely talked about needing assistance or aid. She'd shrug it off, hold her machete proud and say she could handle this. The Sam that was in the bed next to him was not that 'Abby'. There was fear in her eyes and self doubt. This was someone who looked like they knew they were already defeated in the match. THen again....until now Sam had never met two people that could literally snuff out her magic in seconds. She tried to calm down and shift the conversation so Max couldn't pick up on the fact she was genuinely scared. "You think your dad would have been proud of you today? You know...that whole Gardner legacy and all thing that Union mentions."

The Gardner Legacy. Max cringed as the words left Sam's mouth. For his entire life, it felt like everyone around him was trying to bring out some kind of pedigree within him. To be honest, he didn't blame them entirely.

His Dad was Owen Gardner, after all. The fourth Gardner male to continue the legacy of talented Union hunters, and all around heroes.

Kinda a big deal. So when Sam asked him if his Dad would be proud, he thought about it for a couple seconds, then replied.

"I think so, yeah. Dad and I got along well when I was still being trained, but nowadays I know we do things very differently." He thought for a couple seconds, and smiled at her. "As for... Us, this? Sharing a bed together twice? Not so much. But today with John? His philosophy was to do anything in your power to keep people closest to you safe. And I think I did that today. Well, we did."

Max zoned out for a couple seconds. He had a realization that he never would've thought of asking. "Hey, I have a question for you now. My Dad... Did you hear anything about him growing up? Y'know... Folks with your talents, that is?"

"Ashamed his son didn't put a ring on it first...shot gun kind of wedding?" She teased, nudging his side. But the smile dropped. She knew why. WITCH. MONSTER. It didn't matter how much good she could ever do...she'd always be a monster to the majority.

And they will kill you one day for it.

She thought about his question and raised a brow at him. "I didn't grow up with witches, you know. It's not like hunters who are like families....actually Union and the Aes De Kai do that...you guys are the only weirdoes that make it this big Mormon thing. Both my parents were 'human' as they put it. Grandparents too. There's no magical line in my history. I was just....random. That happens too."

But she did stop to think about it. "I met a few hunters once. When I was 12, a lot of babies just died in my town. No reason for it. They just dropped dead. I didn't have my gifts yet....or I didn't know how to use them or knew they were there. But I liked investigating stuff. Wanted to be a big reporter for the paper. Uncover all these big pieces. Arrest bad guys. It was going to be awesome. A guy and his friends spotted me and the man must have been the leader forced me home. Said i was too young to be out at night. Its a good thing he did though. Whatever happened lots of people died....that was just the beginning of that hell mess."

She wasn't there but she had an idea what happened. She was about to stumble into the cult, that was the moment they realized what she was and wanted her. But that hunting group tried wiping them out and failed. More dead babies. Rakes...dead parents. It was not a fun time. Never was a fun time.

Max thought about her story about the man who sent her home. He looked up at the ceiling, wondering if she bumped into his Dad before he died. "Who knows. Maybe he was that leader you just mentioned. If it was him, I'm sure he'd be happy with how you turned out. You're doing the same thing I'm doing... Minus the whole ditching Union thing, that is." He scratched his nose, blushing a little.

He tried remembering the incident she mentioned about the dead babies. They must've been young when that happened, because he could barely remember it. "You wanted to be a reporter? I would've loved to see that." Max teased back. "Little Sam, hair tied back with a half chewed pencil behind her ear, tracking down a lead to catch the neighborhood dog that pooped on her lawn." Although the imagery was cute, all he really wanted to picture was Sam leading a normal life for once.

"Your powers." He found himself saying. "Do you ever wish you were like everyone else? Able to live like anyone else our age?"

"It's kind of spooky though...it's like reliving the past. John's the same age I was. Jumping out the window with the gun, I did the same thing...but it was a cat in the bag and not a gun. His parents get murdered by a crazy cult after him. My parents murdered....it's all too eerilly similiar." She hadn't noticed she slipped out the parents part when she talked about her dad so freely. None of it were lies. Her biological parents died and she had an adoptive father. But still odd to explain. "I think he would have rather lived.......honestly. " emerald eyes looking up at him, there was no glow but just her normal color. "How did your father die?" It might have been rude....maybe it really was....but she was feeling slightly more comfortable a's they were opening up.

It was nice not to lie all the time.

She thought about what he was saying and shook her head no. "It's who I am. That's like...wishing an entire piece of who you are doesn't exist anymore. I would like people to accept me yeah, that's the extent of normal that I want. And hey, I get to be a reporter, an FBI agent...anything and anyone I want to be. I just do it all behind the scenes instead of putting it out on print. I still piss off aloooooot of people. How about you? You ever want to be anything but a hunter?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Max had to think about her question. He had heard the stories hundreds of times, but it was odd to hear someone who wasn't aware of how he died. "He died on a mission when I was eight. He was with a small team, his best guys, trying to eliminate the last remnants of some kind of cult. Only two members of the team came back, bleeding from everywhere, it looked like." He thought about ending thr story there, but Sam seemed legitimately interested in his past. He bit the bullet.

"One of the survivors ended up telling Ma the whole thing. The whole team was wiped put by one creature called a Rake. I don't know why those guys wanted to summon one of those things, but it couldn't have been good. People say Dad was torn to pieces in the matter of seconds after single handedly taking out a dozen witches and wizards. Just the kinda death he would've wanted." Max looked at Sam, who was stil, watching and listening to him with great intent. "That how you expected?" He half smiled.

A rake.....

Sam stared at him wide eyed growing pale. She forced herself to sit up despite the pain just staring at him, then at her hand as she pressed her thumb into her palm. Pressing and running hard she felt in the verge of throwing up.

"I killed your dad...." not the tone of someone admitting something but realizing a horrible truth.

When she finally looked up and saw his confused face. She rubbed it harder. "I mean....I didn't but....I'm the reason he's dead.....witches can sense magic. Feel it. When they find a powerful source....they gravitate to it. I was just a little kid....I didn't know. I found a stray cat who was my friend....but she was really a demon who the cult worshipped. They found me....and to prove to me they meant only the best for me.....they summoned a rake to kill kids that bullied me. I didn't know. I just sas this monster showing up....and I wanted to find out why these babies were dying. .... your dad must have found them right when they were creating the rake for the first time. That thing....it killed my parents....my uncle. Anyone I was in contact with. John had us to help him....I had a surgeon who took pity on an orphan and protected me....but....i....your dad. I didn't know. Im so sorry."

She had rubbed her palm hard , a nail digging in that it was bleeding, but she kept running it. A bad bad habit she had reliving bad dark times.

Max turned his head in confusion. "Sam, you didn't kill my Dad. No matter what club you pony up with, a hunter is always aware that he or she will die on a job. That's just how our lives work." Whatever Sam was expecting as a response from the hunter, she wasn't expecting him to smile at her as the words left his mouth. It was one of those sideways smiles he did when he wasn't entirelt sure if he should've been smiling or not. Either way, he wasn't destroyed by this development.

He noticed her palm bleeding as it dripped on the bed. "Shit, Sam, when did this happen?" He grabbed one of the last clean wraps he had laying around and wrapped her hand with it. He held it firmly, but not rough. "Don't kill yourself over him." Her green eyes stared at him, as she tried to interupt him with a barrage of apologies. "Ha. Sorry, bad choice of words." He finished taping the wrap, but held onto her hand, looking at it.

"I don't want you apologizing and hurting yourself when I'm here. My parents are dead, but there's nothing I can do about it. And it's no ones fault but the guys that summoned that Rake to begin with." His dark eyes met hers as he finished.

"He wanted you to live freely, Sam. Without all this other crap that's happened to you."

She hadn't noticed. She had this weird tick whenever she was distressing to dig her thumb into her palm, sometimes her nail would dig in.

But then he was just looking at her like thar, a flopped smile and there wasn't any malice or anger. It threw her off. Max bandaged her hand and basically said it was ok.

None of it made sense.

She wasnt sure what to say next to that, instead she wiped her face and tried to compose herself. "Ok....but the two of us should make sure he gets to live some sort of a normal life....if you want to help me."

She lied back down nestling into him. "Thanks for....treating me like a normal person." She was still uncomfortable he knew that much, her real name. How she got into this entire world....but maybe it was about time to trust someone.

--

"He do you know how to do that?" John leaned in as sam added the last ingredients to the healing potion. You had to have the feathers rest a fee days then add the other herbs later.

It had been three days since the demon encounter. The bruising from the pawn shop beat down was more prominent and Sam looked more black and blue with brown tints than she did her actual skin color. Her long raven like lair was tied back in a bun as she wore sweats. John was holding the phoenix egg as he watched. "There's a hunting tribe in Rio, they make potions. They showed me how to do it but it takes some time."

"And you just carry around cool monsters with you? What cool places do in get to go to?"

"No. Yes....kind of. I'm not sure what to do with the egg that's going to be a different problem. But you are going to Colorado.....it's boring. But....you'll be safe."

The boy huffed. "Lame."

She wrinkled her nose as she smiled at him pouring the liquid in a vile. "Give this to max. Tell him he may throw up....and feel a shit ton of pain but in 30 minutes no broken bones or bruises."

"You still killin me today?"

"That's the plan. For all the world is going to care about John Marbles dies today. No paper trail. I'll make your new identity too. So it's like....having a birthday today too."

"Is it weird?"

"The first time. You'll always know you're John....but you get used to wearing the masks. I'm going to have to make it so your aunt believes you died too....it's easier for her and you or I won't be around to kind of....manipulate her thoughts if she knows you're out there."

John didn't say anything. He sighed. "I'll find max. I still think we should see cooler places than Colorado."

"Nice try."

--

Frank drove past a broken tattered sign welcoming him to Paddlewood Maine.

He was coming, bitch....and he was going to get the prize.

Fucking y3ah, he was going to get the prize.

The past couple days had been great, allowing Sam, John, and Max the proper time to fix themselves up physically and mentally. Max however, found himself getting restless. He had never gone three days without getting a mission call-in throughout his entire hunter career. His ribs were healing slowly, and the pain was starting to dull. This afternoon, he found himself doing a roundabout exercise routine he created with the environment he was in. The last part was what he was dreading, saving it for last. Sit-ups.

So here he was, half his body hanging off the roof of the small garage, swearing under his breath. Completing the last set, he brought himself back up for the last time. As he caught his breath, he looked over his torso, which was stitched from his left shoulder to his hip. The same shoulder had been mangled, but that wound was looking fine.

At least the stitches are even. He thought, laughing to himself.

Then he heard the voice again.

You know, normal people don't shake off wounds like that, right?

He hopped off the roof and looked around. The last time he saw Sam or John was an hour or so ago, as Sam got ready to cook up some kind of potion.

"Hey? Sam? John? You out here?"

Nothing.

Then it came back, as loud and clear as before, seemingly right in Max's ear. I kid, I kid. Who would've thought you would be the one to walk into that store. A... Pawn shop, that's what you people call it, right? Oh! You are the right Max, right? What year is it? I hope it's not like last time. The last Max that found me was back in 1957. It was awkward for everyone...

Max shook his head and rubbed his ear. The feminine voice kept ringing. "Where are you?"

You haven't figured it out yet? The voice giggled. That's amazing. I'll give you a hint: watching you snuggle up to that dark haired cutie has really been getting me going! But hey, who am I to judge?

Max froze. "No way. No futzing way." He pulled his grey henley shirt over his head and turned the corner of the garage.

Shush, Max! You're gonna scare the boy. I'll check in with you later. Ciao!

Just as the voice said, John closed the front door, his face lit up seeing Max. "Hey! Special delivery from your girlfriend." He tossed a bottle under hand at the hunter, who barely held on in reaction to his greeting.

"Gotta tell you again?" Max asked, smiling. He glanced at the window which led into the room he and Sam had been staying in. "Sam's not my girlfriend. We're partners."

"Would you date her?"

"I wouldn't complain, that's for sure. Not so much my step dad though." He paused as he looked at the bottle. "What's this?"

"No idea. It'll heal your broken ribs though." John watched The hunter pop thr cap off and look into it.

"Huh. Well, cheers." Max drank the whole bottle in seconds, only to fall to his hands and knees in the matter of seconds. He started heaving, and finally threw up. He knew what was happening though, and simultaneously cursed and thanked Sam's skills.

"Oh yeah, you're gonna throw up." John added, propping himself on the outside wall of the garage, watching Max vomit.

Adults were confusing. And it practically wreaked on them the past few days. They were either looking at each other when one wasn't noticing or making odd jokes here and there. It was weird. His hands were stuffed in his pocket as he waited until Max wiped the vomit off his chin and was done.

The bruising and cuts were already disappearing.

"So...are you guys really planning on just dropping me off to Colorado...to live with some old surgeon who spends all his time writing journals on the supernatural? Because...I'd rather become a hunter like you."

Max's phone began to ring. It was Seamus. And if Max ignored it, It would ring again. Again. Again. Until eventually the young man picked it up.

"Where are you? Max...if you can't find her come home before this gets ugly. But Cooke is on the war path. You can't be involved in this at all!"

--

Macey had just gotten home from her shift at the hospital. Her body sore from the 48 hour shift. She walked in to find the witch heaving in her trashcan, but not a scratch or bruise on her.

"Wh-where's Jo-john?"

"With Max," She tapped her head. "he's on my beacon though, he's safe. I'd know the second he wasn't."

The mousy woman hesitated looking at her then shook her head as she brushed by her to get to the tea kettle. For some reason when John said it would all be ok...she believed it...but she had a bad feeling about all of this.

When the door bell rang, Sam looked at Macey. "I can get that for you...you look tired."

Waving her away, she just went to the fridge. So Sam Shrugged and opened the door. Her body froze at what she saw.

"Fr-"She cried out as mace was sprayed in her eyes. Two seconds, she saw Frank right there holding a can and sprayed her eyes. Something hard and wooden smashed at the side of her head knocking her down to the ground. ''

Frank was wearing the same clothes he had when he left Union, dingier, covered in fast food crumbs and he had not shaven. He put the mace back in his pocket and gripped the baseball bat in his head. "I've been waiting a long time for this bitch," he laughed.

A cup broke in the kitchen, the doorframe was visible and he saw a woman rushing to the phone. "Oh no, no one is stopping this. Not today." He went to his hoster and fired.

The phone hit the kitchen floor with blood splatters. A thump followed shortly afterwards.

"Now where were we?"

Max offered his hand to John to help him back up. He could feel his ribs healing, but the pain from his recovery still threw him for a loop. When he was back on his own two feet, he looked at the boy. He thought about what he just said, about wanting to be a hunter. John was about twelve years old, a little older than Max was when he started training. Although he thought the world of the boy, he couldn't help but shake his head.

"My life isn't anything to be envious of. You just saw me heave up what I ate over the past twenty four hours because I downed a potion that heals broken bones in seconds. I don't think I have to tell you how I got that hurt, either, yeah? Sam and I are bringing you somewhere safe, her D-"

"I don't care about her Dad." John interrupted, slamming his foot down. "These... powers that I have? They suck. I never, NEVER asked for them. When you were telling me about some of the things you've done since you became a hunter, I thought it would be cool if I could use my powers to help you out on your missions. You would never be hurt like that again."

The young hunter rubbed his temples. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. John was a real smart kid, way smarter than he ever was at this age. Max just wasn't ready for him to be playing devils advocate. He found his mind waver, doubting whether or not Sam's Dad could really protect him. "Lemme talk to Sam about it. She really-" He stopped, interrupted again. This time, by his phone, however.

"Shit." He read the name that appeared on the screen. Sheamus.

"Who is it? What's wrong?" John asked, looking at the screen. He looked up at Max in confusion.

"My step dad that I was telling you about the other day."

"The hard ass?" John asked, before being quieted by Max, placing a finger on his own lips.

"Hey Sheamus, what's-"

The old hunter wasted no time in commanding Max to come home. Something about Cooke blowing a gasket, and him not being able to come home in time. "Hold on Sheamus, what are you talking about?"

"Cooke is giving you twenty four hours to come home before he sends someone after you. He's hellbent on bringing Abigail back here. And at this point, he doesn't care if she's dead or alive. Don't worry about the egg anymore, just come home."

Max looked at the ground, kicking at the grass. "D- Sheamus, I can't. Things have changed, I've taken up another mission based on what's happened over the past couple days. It's my own decision, no one's making me do this. Just give me some time to sort this out. Bye." He hung up before Sheamus could get in another word.

He had turned to John and opened his mouth, but nothing came out. His pulse quickened, and he felt nauseous. A military grade Jeep was pulled up across the street. Max knew where it had come from.

It came from home. Someone had followed him all the way here. He heard the scream, then a gun fire off. The voice rang in his head again, its playful tone now replaced with raw fear. MAX, SAVE HER NOW.

It all happened inside John's house. Max wasted no time making a dash for the door, John right behind him. He put his hands on the boy's shoulders and looked at him square in the eyes. "You need to stay here. Whoever is in there is extremely dangerous. Don't you dare come in."

Don't waste time, he's gonna listen to you. Get in there, now. It's-

Max stopped dead in his tracks as he entered he kitchen. "FRANK. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?"

Bits of skull and grey matter laid on the ground as macey stared into the void with glasses over eyes. He was already in a pool of blood, and in her scrub clothes.

Frank had delivered another swift whack to the skull of sam in the hallway. The foundation of the house began to shake ad green light ripped from the grohnd, through the kitchen, the cracking climbing up the walls.

Sam cried out in pain. And for a split second she saw herself in waitress clothing with a grime man on top of her ready to fuck her, but as she tried to open her eyes, they stung and everything was blirry.

All she could smell was mcdonalds and frank. "You finally screwed over union you little whore. But it's ok. I'm going to take the egg back and make sure every bone in your body is smashed before I kill you." He went for another swing when he looked up and saw the other hunter.

He chuckled. "You were helping her. You tucking traiter."

Black smoke filled the area sam was but she only made it five feet rhe splitting pajn, she had no idea where she was gpong...she couldn't think straight at all....pain and run....pain and run.

Growling, Frank saw she had teleported behind the living room couch. He drew the pjstol, one that was identical to maxs and aimed it.

Max planted one foot in front of him and swung his left fist aimed at Frank's skull. He felt the impact on his left temple, causing the other hunter to curse at Max. He took his bat and slammed it into Max's stomach, after doing a half windup. The young hunter let out a breath of air as he fell to his knees. Frank pulled Max back up to his feet, dragging him by his hair.

"You little shit. What the fuck am I doing? I could ask you the same fucking thing. So desperate to get some pussy you're fucking this little slut, huh? She must be used t it, because I blew my load all over her face too." Frank pointed to the bottle of mace hanging from his belt. Max grit his teeth, his cheeks crimson red. He had no idea how Frank found him, but that didn't matter at this point. He needed to get this guy out of here. As much as he didn't want to admit it, Max knew Frank was like a feral dog. Once he knew he had his prey, it was going to be impossible to get him to let them go.

Someone needed to die, right here, right now.

Max, the gun. The voice rang. I have no idea where he got it, but that's not okay. Get it away from him, NOW!"

Max put his left hand on Frank's, covering the gun. He got a quick look at it, and unless he looked to quickly, or it was literally the same one he found in the box. "You're not gonna take her in, Frank. This isn't your mission. Stand down." Max found himself locked in pushing Frank's hand down, while the other hunter tried doing the opposite. Frank spat in his face, before planting his boot in Max's stomach. The sudden hit made the boy exhale suddenly again, and before he could regain his balance, Frank drove his fist into Max's face, making contact with his nose. Max spun, the back of his head hitting the wall. He sank to the floor.

"Suck it, traitor." He heard a small explosion, the smell of sulfur now in the air. Sam was no longer where she was. "Cooke gives you the mission that I would KILL for, and you fuck it all up. Leave it to a real hunter to get the job done."

John stayed where he was, like he was told. Right where he was. As Max ran off to be a super hero. Right here....Yup....right....here.

Just a few steps to the SUV, that was still right here. Yup. John was still paying attention and not being a big pain. There was no harm in snooping through the windows. There were a lot of Burger King, McDonalds, Wendies bags...spilled coffee....This guy lived in his car. He either was homeless or was part of the same team as Max....because of how Max ran off, John was going for the latter.

Staying...right here. He was just ripping the antenna off the back end of the SUV and stabbing the tires. That was helpful. The kid grinned at how easy it poked through. Awesome, this was the stuff you did in the books or movies. He didn't really connect that he was 12...there was no possible way he had the strength to pop tires from an antena...but apparently he could do it without a thought.

That was going to be helpful. And he was still kind of right there.

--

Her ears were ringing. The pain throbbed as the green magical crack on the ground seemed to get a little bigger. Her body in shock, she dug through her pockets and found on of the extra vials. Sam couldn't screw off the cap, instead she chewed on the gord and let the potion fall on her face and whatever contents into her mouth.

Two big whacks to the skull was enough to kill someone, and Sam might have been close to hemoraging and bleeding out until the magic of phoenix feathers began to work. She rolled to her side vomiting all over the floor.

Frank toted the bat in his hand, blood splattered on it. He wondered if the thing now had magical properties because it belonged to the slut. "So what was it, huh?" Frank kicked him hard in the ribs. "You stared in those deep green eyes and just wanted to do whatever she said? You're a FUCKING IDIOT. She cast a spell on you. You moronic little piece of shit. The GARDNER LEGACY is all I fucking hear about and I lose out on this mission to a fucking dipshit pansy like you." He kicked him again.

Bending down, he grabbed max by his hair, hoisting his head up. "You smell that, dipshit? Sulfur. Demonic. You think you're little fuck toy is different? She's a monster. Usues monster powers. Uses DEMONIC powers. Don't worry. I'm going to clean up your fucking mess."

Max could taste blood. His mouth contorted into a smile, his teeth baring a crimson coating. "So this is what it is, huh? You're just pissed because Cooke didn't choose you to go. You wanna know why he chose me? Because I'm the only one back in that cage that she trusts. Anyone one can smell you a mile away-" Frank slapped Max across the face. Max spat blood on the linoleum flooring of the kitchen and laughed again. "She can probably sense you even further. You kill me, she's gonna lose it. You'll be a red mark splattered on the ceiling if you do that."

Frank stared at his young counterpart. His hands shook, the one holding his hair tightened, causing Max to wince in pain. "You shut the hell up you little shit. You have no idea what I've gone through to get where I am. AND HERE YOU ARE, GETTING A FREE FUCKING RIDE." Frank brought his hand back that still held his pistol and slammed it into Max's skull. The young man screamed in pain, losing his vision.

He could still hear Frank, his breathing labored. Max knew he got a couple good hits in, but was aware he was getting his ass kicked by Frank.

Fucking Frank, of all people.

He heard a click of a gun, and felt the cold barrel touch his temple. Instead of a shot following it, Frank snorted. "On second thought... Cooke doesn't give a shit about you. I can just bring you to camp and have him deal with you. Maybe I can shoot your fucking brains out too... After I make this slut eat lead." His boots slammed across the floor as he made his way to Sam.

"No-" Max tried screaming, but his voice was too weak. "Don't you-" He coughed. "Don't you FUCKING touch a hair on her head. I swear to God Frank, you take one more step-" He heaved, nearly throwing up. He still couldn't see, and was desperately trying to crawl towards where he could hear Sam struggle, and Frank cursing in the living room. His arms could barely keep him up now, and once again, Max was on the ground, uselessly laying there.

John. Max found himself begging. I could really use your help right now, buddy. I promise I'll take you wherever you want.

Monsters were monsters and would try to kill you, Humans knew where to lay the good punishment to make it hard for you to fight back.

Frank laughed, he couldn't hold it in at the fucker's request. "Bang bang motherfucker."

Max was laying down where Macey's vacant expression just stared back at him, her mouth hung open. Her hai was looking clotted and wet as it sat in the blood.

--

Screw it. He did his good deed by staying here. If Max asked....he had to pee and just so happened to run in his house to stop what was going on at the same time. That was a good enough excuse.

He opened the front door seeing an older man that smelled of urine and shit. Sam was throwing up behind the couch. He saw Max trying to crawl his way from the kitchen. The phone was making an obnoxious sound as it laid on the ground, red splatter. He saw nurse's shoes.

No. Please no.

The older man had stepped over the couch but stopped. "Get the fuck out of here if you know what'z good for you kid."

"no."

"What did you just fucking say to me?" The gun was lowered as his attention was on John.

"You heard me. No. This is my house. These are my friends. I'm not leaving. You leave. You're being a jerk."

Frank found himself walking out the door, anger erupted his face as he screamed angrilly at his legs. "Witch. Two for the price of one." As he was struggling to fight the steps, he pointed the gun at him .

"Shut up. No talking. Leave right now."

Frank's mouth seemed to clamp down shut, unable to move it. He fired the pistol as he was at the front door. John dove down, the bullet hitting the china cabinet, shattering the glass.

Frank was gone. For now....

--

Sam could see. The blistering pain ridden headaches were gone. She dug through her pockets. She had two of them left. That was it. She jumped over the couch and ran to the kitchen, Ripping the gord out with her teeth, she knelt down by max, holding his head up. "I can fix this. I can still fix this...."Pouring the blue substance down throat.

"Max. Sam. You see that! I just handled a bad guy, all on my....."His voice dropped. "Aunt Macey?"

The boy ran over, tripping on the blood and fell on his face. He pressed his hands into the floor to get up as he saw the big hole in her head and her eyes. "No...no I said you were going to be fine. I promised you that you would be fine!" He cried rocking his aunt back and forth.

"Sam?" He looked up, assuming it was her holding his head up. "I can't see anything, I-" He was interrupted by her pouring something down his throat. He coughed, sputtering whatever the hell it was out. "Stop, hold on a sec." He finished coughing. The potion she gave him started to work its magic, his face already feeling less swollen. "I heard John. Did he come into the house?" Sam confirmed his fears. He must've used the same spell he used on them a couple days ago to make him go away. Part of him wished he hadn't made that wish.

The Gardner Legacy. He thought to himself. Still ruining children's lives like you, Dad.

Sam helped Max up, and walked him over to John, who was still cradling his Aunt. Max judged where the boy was, from his light sobbing. He heard the boy asking for her forgiveness, that he never wanted to leave her, and apologizing for promising she would be fine.

"Auntie, I'm so sorry. I- I did this." He clenched his fists around her hair. He angrily turned towards the witch and hunter.

"You." He started, the words spitting out of him like venom. "You told me I could do anything. That because I said she would be, that Auntie would be fine. But now she's- she's- FUCKING DEAD. YOU NEVER SAID IT WOULD HURT THIS MUCH, MAX. YOU SAID I'D BE A HERO LIKE YOU. IS THIS WHAT IT'S LIKE? TO BE A HUNTER?" His voice was strained, echoing throughout the house.

Max only stared at the boy, sensing the hate that was radiating off him. "John, I'm so sorry, I-"

The boy sobbed again. "It's all my fault. I did this to her. She's all I had left, and now she's dead. Because of me. Because of these FUCKING POWERS." The boy turned to Sam now, as he lowered his Aunt back to the ground, keeping his head down. The tears stained his face as he collected his breathing.

Max reached out with his hand, miscalculating where the boy was. John stared at the hunter, confused for a second. Then he realized something was horribly wrong. "Max?" He held onto his hand, gripping it tight. "It's not fair. Why did he- why did he win? He's... He's..."

Max held onto the boy's hand. John placed his head on his shoulder, letting loose another sob, from the back of his throat. "This is exactly why we need to bring you to Sam's Dad. He's the only one who take care of you." He paused, feeling the boy shake. "John. This is why I can't let you be a hunter."

Every word that came out of John's mouth.....felt like deja vu to Sam. His anger, tears and accusations to both. When Max could sit up right, she walked over to him. "No! You caused all of this!" John snapped but she still came over and wrapped her arms around him tight. He fought against her at first.

"The world isn't a good place, John...you couldn't have known. You did not kill your aunt. This is not your fault." Max had missed but managed to grab his hand. The potion should have worked so what...she stopped herself.

Right now this was about John. As he squeezed Max's hand tightly.

"Max...take John. Get his things. We have to leave tonight. Frank could have contacted Union....we won't have much time. I'll get Macey ready for...I'll get her ready."

"We can't leave tonight! We...we can't...I can't leave her like this!"

"You won't....but we don't have the luxury to mourn a loved one...not the conventional way. Get your things John. The last thing your aunt would want is for you to die tonight or tomorrow. She'd want you to live and that is what we're going to do."

--

"Another one?"

"Yeah, fucker had the same....hypnosis trick she has...but there's no signal or sign he's using it."

"It's worse than we feared, she's creating a cult. We can't allow her to track and find any more followers. Put her down whatever the costs, Frank. Gardner's gone AWOL, if you must you end him too."

"She's right John. We gotta get out of here. C'mon. Let's get packed." John let go of Max's hand, leaving the hunter to stand on his own in the kitchen. His blank eyes stared forward. "Um... John, you gotta help me out here." He smiled. It was the only thing he could do to not completely lose it that he couldn't see. How hard had Frank hit him with that gun? He subconsciously rubbed where he was hit, surprised how fast another dose of that potion worked. He guessed where Sam was and continued before John took his hand again.

"Good job with that stuff. Works like a charm." She began to ask him if his vision was returning, but he ignored the question. He brought his voice down, keeping John out of the conversation. "Be careful with... whatever you're gonna do. Don't hurt yourself, okay?" She kept asking questions about how he was feeling, but was only ignored as he was brought up the stairs by John. "I'm fine. Just a little... foggy right now, I guess."

Foggy. That was a good replacement for 'got my shit rocked so hard I lost my vision'.

John led Max to the bed he and Sam had been using for the past couple days and had him sit. Max looked straight ahead, thinking of what they had to do next. "John, grab your things. Bring a couple day's worth of clothes, and whatever else you absolutely need. A couple books, a light, pictures, whatever. Sam won't be too happy with me that I'm letting you bring stuff like that, but whatever. Just don't pack too much where you can't carry your backpack, okay?"

John nodded.

Max blinked. "John? You heard me, right?"

"Shit, I'm sorry Max, I forgot you're-"

"Blind? Yeah, it's weird for me too."

John paused, rocking on his heels. "Is it gonna go away?"

Max shrugged. "Maybe. Do me a favor, grab that wooden box we found at 'Collectibles'." John set the box in his lap as Max continued. "That guy, Frank, hit me pretty hard."

"Do you know him? He's like you, isn't he?"

"Yeah, I know him. He's part of the same hunter team I'm on. The Union." Max's expression changed to a serious tone. "But that's about all we have in common. He's everything people like Sam hate about... People like me." He hated how he phrased that.

"Will he be back?"

Max paused. He swallowed and spoke slowly as he ran his palms across the box. "Yeah. You can bet on that. But hey, we beat him this time, right?" He smiled, his teeth still slightly red. "We'll beat him no matter how many times we have to. Now get going, don't take too long though, 'kay?" John replied, and walked off, leaving Max by himself in the bedroom. He opened the box and moved his hands along the gun.

"Can you hear me?" He whispered out loud.

Loud and clear, Mister Hero.

Cooke hung up the phone, sitting at his desk. Leave it to the Universe Gods of karma to make him have to trust Frank in this whole mess. Did he actually believe Abigail Truman was creating a cult? No. Did he really believe that was her true name? Of course not. But, he was an old dog of war and he knew how to motivate the masses. Fear. You create a common enemy and people are willing to die for you to get rid of it.

Abigail, as far as he knew, was a scared kid who believed if she laid down with all hunting groups it would keep her alive a little bit longer instead of used for parts. Smart kid. But she bit the hand that turned a blind eye, and he couldn't have that.

Across from his desk a man lit a cigarette, he was about the same age as Cooke, a little on the lankier side. He wore an apron stained with different shades of blood. Green, purple, red, black....all the blood colors of the rainbow. Big black rain boots up to his knees, he had a pair of goggles on his head like a head band right now. "We had a deal, Jeremy. You get your super soldiers, I get the phoenix. Now you're little...asset has stolen it. What am I supposed to do with that?"

"You'll get your damn egg...and a pair of magical eyes too if you keep your trap shut and let me do my god damn job!"

--

Auto-pilot.

It was the best way to handle these situations. Frank had nuetralized her in seconds. He blinded her and whacked her head first to make it hard for her to use any of her magic. How quickly he was able to do it alarmed her. But she couldn't think of that now. Not even Max dodging her questions about how he was. He was most definitely not fine then if he was doing that. So she had a distraught child, a blind friend....while a crazed cult would hunt her down for John and Union now knew exactly where she was.

They needed to leave. And she couldn't teleport John to her father's. That magical trail would be sniffed immediately. That girl with the blue hat was powerful...she was probably trying to tap in where Sam was now. But she shut off that sense...that only worked when she wasn't using magic. So they had to go on the run...as humans....and avoid cults and hunters.

Yay.

She picked up Macey, "I'm so sorry...." Was all she could let out as she found the medical closet. Wrapping her entire body in cloth bandages, she started working on a wood pile to place her on it. They were going to have to cremate the body....this way they could leave now instead of digging a hole to put her in.

"You'd know what to do in this situation Dad....what do I do?" She asked outloud after the body was laid on the wooden pile of wood, tree branches and sticks.

No answer....she was on her own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back