• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
The spirit really should have been paying more attention to what Rience was doing, but it assumed that its arrival was a surprise. “That book is—” then the gust of wind interrupted it, and it glanced around at its situation. “No, please, I don’t want to die. I—” but of course, it was too late, the incantation spoken.

The spirit abandoned its host, and Kirsikka returned, the moment of absence from her body dropping it – giving her enough time to catch herself with her hands. She sighed in frustration but sat up, and pushed her hair back, “Thank you,” not at all fun.

Even so, she reached to the book and opened it again without any concern the spirit could have simply been pushed back to it.

It didn’t seem possessed, so she went right to the table of contents again to find the section she needed, standing, and absently walking back to her corner of the room to keep reading. She assumed Rience would start on his own studies, though she’d humor him with vague answers if he tried to bother her while she was reading.

Eventually, she found the section on corpse flowers, and she read through it in detail, seeking an answer for the white hue, seeking a match to the ritual she’d found in another book, and what it created.

‘Shikigami.’

She all but threw the book aside as she went right back to her ritual book to make sure things matched up, eyes bright with the sudden clarity and understanding.

A shikigami!

What idiot would make Dravon a shikigami! He could escape that! He could—

‘Kirsikka, he’s dead.’

She tried to ignore that crushing thought, “I got it!”

~***~

Varick rather hoped it would, literally, smack them in the face. He knew he shouldn’t be so embittered towards them. They were willing to help, and they didn’t have to. They also wanted to help, already on a path that joined theirs, but that didn’t mean he trusted either of them too much.

And that was why he didn’t want them just lazing about, though he knew, they wouldn’t be.

Kirsikka would at least be busy with research.

Drazhan…well, he didn’t know what Drazhan did, but he’d likely be doing odd jobs, too. That’s what Primals did, and Draz couldn’t escape that, no matter how he tried.

He wasn’t really thinking of actual jobs, though. Just ways they could suffer to pay for his own suffering, and so he sighed as Tamsin mentioned real situations that could come up, “Not quite what I meant,” but just as he’d never seriously force them into suffering, he wouldn’t elaborate on those terrible thoughts, either.

“But you are likely right. They will find ways to make themselves useful.”

Last edited:
Rience lazily watched as the spirit disappeared, and as Kirsikka came back around into her own mind. Her body dropped, but just as soon as that happened, she regained control of her own mind again.

Pity, but he supposed he did need her for a while longer, until he had his answer.

Upon the thanks, he inclined his head. “That should be the end of that curse.” And the book should be able to be opened and read.

He silently watched her as she went back to the book, and when she moved, he strolled over to the other books, deciding to occupy his time with reading through them, in case he somehow stumbled upon the answer in one of the other tomes.

Something told him Kirsikka was on the right path though.

There was deadly silence in the air for a time, until he heard Kirsikka stirring about. He looked over at her, as she threw the book aside and rushed over to another book. Her expression told him everything he needed to know.

“What is it?” he asked, excitement stirring in his chest. Finally, the key to getting what he wanted. He just needed the answer and get it to Dravon before she did.

~~~

Tamsin didn’t think too much on what Varick meant. She could guess, and no doubt she wouldn’t have been pleased with the answer. She wanted to keep the evening pleasant.

She shifted her legs off of Varick and stood up. “Maybe I should make you useful instead,” she said with a wink. Of course Varick was always useful! But she was currently thinking in terms not appropriate for Mikhail’s main room.

They had already annoyed Malina out of the room, despite how humorous Tamsin thought it was.

“You could either serve as my muse for more songs that will feed us, or,” she held out a hand for Varick to take and help him off the couch, as if he needed it, “something else.” She would let him fill in the blank as to what that ‘something else’ could mean.

“Shikigami!”

Speaking it into life, Kirsikka couldn’t help but laugh. Yes, Dravon was undead, but he didn’t have to be a slave. Shikigami was one of the more powerful undead, their power dependent on the one who summoned them to life. If the White Sun did it, there was no question Dravon remained as powerful as ever.

But, a Shikigami had the potential to betray its master and continue on, one of the rare few given that. A necessity, and Shikigami were usually only made to protect something their summoner wanted protected, even beyond the death of the summoner.

Few were ever made in designs beyond animals because of the possibility they could overcome the enchantment. “I can’t believe anyone would make him a shikigami of all things,” she shook her head as she opened a portal, intent to get to Pomachion and tell Dravon, assuming Rience would follow.

Unlike Rience, she hadn’t been informed this was a competition, with only one person taking the prize for discovery.

~***~

Who was Varick to deny the request? He’d enjoyed their afternoon romp after he took the horse out, and there was little else to do except wait until the morning when they could leave, though, when Tamsin offered her hand, he took it only to pull her down onto his lap.

No, he hardly intended to do anything in Mikhail’s living room.

He mostly just wanted the reaction from Tamsin before he’d cup her face and kiss her lips, slow and deep, before he’d break away far sooner than he wanted to, saying, “Anything except the muse,” though he was likely failing at that frequently.

He didn’t want songs written about Primals. She already knew that too well, so obviously, that just left one use.

He would release enough pressure on her hand to be clear he’d let her get up now – and he’d follow suit.

A shikigami.

How curious.

But Rience couldn’t be bothered to think too much as to why Dravon was a shikigami right now. He’ll let the undead man do that himself, after Rience delivers the news, alone.

As Kirsikka opened the portal, he smirked, beginning to weave his spell in the air. Poor Kirsikka didn’t know of Dravon’s little competitive offer, and now she was about to be in for a rude surprise.

“Oh Kirsikka, you didn’t know? You’ve fulfilled your use. This is news I intend on delivering to Dravon alone, as he promised me a little something for the answer.” His spell was completed, and it would cause Kirsikka great pain as he manipulated her blood. If successful, she would focus on her pain too much to move, and he would be free to seek out Dravon and give him his much desired answer.

~~~

Tamsin squealed when Varick pulled her down onto his lap, and any thought she was trying to muster immediately flew out as he kissed her, one of those kisses she wished would never end.

But she was still painfully aware that they were where anyone could walk in on them.

That didn’t mean she was so eager to pull away and drag him upstairs just yet, even if she had just been prepared to do exactly that.

She readjusted herself to straddle his lap. “But you’re just such a good muse.” One hand remained in his, but the other reached up to brush back a strand of his hair. “You may have to convince me to not use you as a muse after all.”

Not that he really did. But she was having far too much fun.

“You’ve fulfilled your use.”

Nothing good ever came after those words. Kirsikka could have stepped through the portal, but instead, she closed it and turned back immediately to shoot a barrage of icicles at Rience. The pain came with the turn, so the aim was off – but icicles still flew.

And quite a bit more afterwards.

Kirsikka didn’t really need to do as much thinking as the typical mage to cast, after all. The agony brought her to her knees, but icicles spiked up immediately around her, moving to fill the tower floor and stab through Rience, as the air grew increasingly colder.

Pain, after all, had been the cause of the Boreal Wind. Emotional pain, and black hatred, all the same.

A third instance was on the precipice of blooming.

~***~

Varick didn’t fight Tamsin’s readjustment. It was a shame they were still in the living room, but it wasn’t like it didn’t feel good. However, he didn’t smile as she suggested he was such a good muse.

The obvious way to convince her that he would be a terrible muse would be to simply lift her off of him, and go out for a walk, alone. He couldn’t inspire if he wasn’t there. Not to mention, it’d be cruel, and not something she’d want to write about – hopefully. Being just effortlessly turned down.

But Varick didn’t want that as he enjoyed the feel of his hair being pushed back. “I’m quite sure I could give you plenty of reasons,” he let a hand go her waist, and he made sure to push her hips down against his lap, “but unless you want Mikhail, Malina, Drazhan, and Kirsikka to also have a chance to become aware, you may want to get up.”

Not that Varick would act on that threat.

But he thought it might excite Tamsin a bit to hear it.

Rience expected the barrage of icicles. In a way, Kirsikka was too predictable in that regard. He easily diverted them away from his body while keeping that control over the flowing blood in the ice mage’s body.

His concentration didn’t waiver, keeping her in that agony he hoped would distract her enough.

But when the icicles broke through the floor, Rience quickly made a portal and jumped through it, making sure to seal it behind him. He was still in Mont Pellinor, only yards away in another rundown building.

“Dravon!” Rience breathed deeply, fingers itching for more with Kirsikka, but his sights were set on someone else right now. “I have your answer.” He needed that damned undead mage.

~~~

Tamsin turned hot red by Varick’s actions, and while she didn’t wish to leave her comfortable, albeit now a little frustrating, spot, she also didn’t want everyone to see their compromising position.

So she slid off of his lap, a bit slower than what was necessary, and stood up, one hand still clasped in Varick’s hand. “I’d rather keep you all to myself.”

Tamsin would gently pull on Varick’s hand to encourage him to get up and follow along, not that she thought he would remain on the couch, not after their little display. She figured he was just as eager as she was to get some privacy, perhaps the last bit of privacy they may get for some time.

“And I prefer for you to give me those reasons without anyone else around.” She would lead him to their room, where she eagerly pulled him inside and firmly shut the door behind them.

The pain fled with the portal, but Kirsikka was well over the edge – too far to draw back, too far to really even notice the pain was gone, and so was her target. If anything, that only pushed her further into the hatred, unaware that Rience was still near.

Near enough, that when the very moisture in the air froze, expanded within every piece of wood, and every drop of liquid captured in every crevice of every building, froze – he would be there. The fact he was in a building was perhaps his saving grace, as the area of Mont Pellinor previously spared from Kirsikka’s wrath was enveloped in it.

Cracking echoed through the air as it expelled in every direction in an exhale.

Buildings shattered, including the exposed tower Kirsikka was in – and she fell with it, debris, rocks, and books, burying her.

Silence fell.

Silence, save for Dravon’s arrival, not from Rience’s call, but the pulse of magic. ‘What in the hells?’ He wasn’t sure then what would possess Kirsikka to decimate the area as his steps broke strands of wild grass as he walked upon the familiar roads of the fortification and glanced around.

It was almost painful to breathe; he probably didn’t need to, but it was still a habit. “Cherry?!” he called, but no response came from her. He sighed and continued walking through the frozen hellscape.

~***~

Tamsin’s flush was as amusing as it was satisfying to Varick. He couldn’t help but revel in how red she got under his implications – nor her reaction. She didn’t scurry off his lap, but she did leave it, still clutching his hand to encourage him up, to encourage him to stay near. He wouldn’t deny her.

He rose, keeping her hand in his, and followed along back to the room for the privacy, chuckling a bit. He preferred it this way, too, and as Tamsin turned to close the door, he released her hand only to turn back to her at the door. With it shut, he was able to reach out for her again and kiss her how he’d truly wanted – deep, slow, as he stepped her back against the door.

As his hands moved to her hips instead of her hands, to offer her leverage if she didn’t want to stand any longer. There really wasn’t anymore need for that – Tamsin deserved a break from all that standing and walking around for a long while.

At least, as long as their last night would extend.

Rience could feel the crackle of the unstable magic in the air. Then there was the cold, painfully cold. He briefly heard the cracking echoing in the air before its subsequent explosion, but not soon enough to protect himself from the building crashing all around him.

He should thank the stars that he at least left the tower he was just in with Kirsikka. It was a smaller building, but the flying wood and stone debris of it would be just as likely to maim or kill him. He did manage to throw up his arms over his head as everything exploded into chaos around him, but that didn’t stop the injuries and lacerations that would undoubtedly decorate his body.

Fucking ice bitch.

There was silence and pain. Rience groaned, using magic to move the debris off of him. There were parts of his body that felt too wet. The stain of red upon various parts of his body and clothes proved why.

He had just finished clearing the debris off of him, but hadn’t gotten up yet, when he heard a familiar voice not too far from him. He didn’t know why Dravon called out Cherry, or what that was, but he ignored that for now in favor of slowly sitting up, groaning, before rising to his feet with tremors all throughout his body.

If that bitch wasn’t dead, she would wish she was.

Everything was too cold.

“Dravon!” Rience called out, stumbling forward onto the frozen grass. He was eager to tell the undead mage what he wanted, collect his reward, and get the fuck out of that area. “Dravon, I know what you are.”

~~~

With the anticipation of what was to come during the seemingly long walk to the bedroom, it was a wonder that Tamsin didn't run the entire way. She couldn’t let her eagerness get the better of her too much.

But when the door closed and she pressed against it, all bets were off. As she deepened the kiss, her fingers moved through his hair, while the other one enjoyed the rough sensation of his beard. Her hands itched to venture down his body, but they behaved for the moment as the passion flickered back to life between them.

Tamsin took the silent suggestion and shifted her legs so that she was now supported by Varick’s strength, and a bit by the solid door behind her. She allowed herself to get swept up in the passion, once more for the day, and dissolve into bliss. For that evening, her world was only centered around herself and Varick.

Come morning, they would have to bring themselves back to reality and realize that they won’t have much time alone together while traveling with companions. For now, it was just Tamsin and Varick in their own world.

The reason for the ice became obvious when it wasn’t Kirsikka that answered, but Rience. Dravon let his eyes move from their search to focus on the bloody blood mage who was, quite honestly, lucky to be alive. Dravon did wonder if it would have lasted long if he hadn’t shown up, and he shifted his weight to one leg and folded his arms over his chest.

‘No, Kirsikka found out, and you played your hand poorly.’

But Kirsikka wasn’t here first. Rience was.

Never mind the temptation to smite him where he stood.

A deal was a deal, and who was he to deny Kirsikka the pleasure later? Besides, he needed to know what he was now to work on freeing himself from the one who held him on such a loose leash. “What am I, Rience?” he asked, not bothering to warm the area or suggest moving. The cold didn’t exactly bother him, after all.

Rience should suffer more anyways.

Rience wheezed as the pain rolled through him, and he could distinctly feel that wetness on his face. No doubt, his head was hit during the explosion, like every other part of him.

He hoped Kirsikka had killed herself in her moment of explosive stupidity.

“You’re a shikigami,” he answered. Perhaps a creature that spoke for the power Dravon held in both life and death.

But Rience didn’t care at that moment. He could only think of two things: his own answer, as promised, and to get the fuck out of the frozen wasteland.

“Now my reward, as promised?” he asked with a pained grin. His fingers itched to get out of there and get to the one person he’d wanted to get to all along. "I desire to know the location of Mikhail."

Last edited:
Dravon wasn't surprised by the demand. Rience had hinted at his interest in Mikhail, so this was to be expected. Dravon was lucky to know the location, another thing inadvertently revealed by Kirsikka.

He opened a portal, the cabin just in sight. “You can go through and know it,” and then leave if he wanted to, or do whatever it was he needed to see done regarding Mikhail.

Dravon needed to find Kirsikka, so he wouldn't linger. After Rience went through the portal, Dravon would close it and continue his search, venturing closer to the tower he'd spent his last night in.

It should have been obvious Kirsikka would be there, in hindsight.

Quite unwell, though she fell from the top, some rocks still fell on her. She was bleeding, though not as much as Rience. Likely more battered and bruised.

Dravon sighed, but with a few words and gestures, he had the rocks removed and he approached her, pulling her into his lap as he took a seat on the rubble to begin weaving a healing spell.

He was never the best at it, but what else could he do?

The portal opened, and Rience stepped forward without another moment of hesitation. Blood still decorated his body, and would only add to his image of unhinged delightful glee upon looking at Mikhail's little cottage, hidden away in the woods.

A location that he now knew.

And it wasn’t a moment later when the object of his obsession came out in a sleep robe, obviously riled up from slumber but curious to see who entered his domain. “Kirsikka, what are you-” he abruptly stopped upon seeing the blood soaked blood mage. Fitting, really. “Rience. How did you find me?”

“Really, Mikhail, is that the proper greeting for an old friend like me?” He crossed his arms over his chest as he took a step forward, and Mikhail took a step back.

“I never exactly considered us to be friends.”He glanced at the blood on Rience’s head to the tattered clothes, wondering what exactly had happened to the blood mage.

Rience mocked-pouted at the confession. “That’s a shame. I considered us to be far more.” With a single movement and utterance of a spell, Mikhail felt the blood-curdling pain cripple him, rendering him unable to move or speak for help. Would anyone have heard him anyways, or were they all asleep?

A portal opened up beside them, and Rience easily shoved Mikhail, who writhed in agony, through it.

No one knew of the disappearance until early that morning, when Malina woke up for her morning routine, and realized Mikhail was nowhere to be seen, unusual for him. Her morning routine had involved him since she returned, and upon knocking on his bedroom door, and seeing no Mikhail in there, she began to worry, which soon evolved to panic.

He would have told her if he was going to town or leave for any length of time, and she couldn’t sense or see him anywhere on his property.

And as Drazhan woke up to her commotion, he realized that Kirsikka never returned from Mont Pellinor. Something terrible was amiss indeed.

Varick hadn't expected to wake to anything other than peace. Even so, his senses never abandoned him. He noticed the pacing and urgent steps, and planned to ignore it. Then Malina started to raise her voice and the panicked edge was impossible to ignore. He groaned, wanting to stay in bed longer, hold Tamsin longer, before they finally left the cottage.

He had a feeling the stay had just extended.

He carefully extracted himself from Tamsin, murmuring, “There's some fuss, don't worry,” as he moved but hoping not to wake her as he dressed quickly in slacks and a shirt, before he'd step out of the room and locate Malina, obviously panicked, and Drazhan, pacing, his own panic building.

No sign of Mikhail.

No sign of Kirsikka.

One, or both, were missing.

“What's going on?” There was still a tired edge to Varick's voice, though mostly, it made him sound angry, as he tried to get his mind caught up on what was going on and ruining his peace.

Ruining his chance to leave.

Why did this always happen to him? He really shouldn't have expected anything to go easily.

~***~

Consciousness was slow to flow back to Kirsikka. It came, bit by bit, the cold air like a balm to every fevered wound. Someone held her. She assumed Drazhan, without thinking of where she was or how he could have found her. She didn't remember it all at first, though it started to come back as the chill reminded her.

A groan escaped as she tried to move to get up, as she opened her eyes.

A hand held her down, pressing down on her shoulder, and she realized then she heard the familiar tune of a healing spell. The face above her, eyes shut, was Dravon – not Drazhan. He was still cold as the crypt, the chill biting into her shoulder. She lifted her hands to push at his arm, and the tune stopped as he opened his eyes, exasperation painting his expression.

“You are still very wounded,” he pointed out, “your body resists healing since you cut off the flame.”

“I didn’t cut it off,” okay, she did, but it was the damn White Sun. “Rience–” another attempt to rise thwarted by Dravon.

“Alive, unwell,” Dravon said, barely containing a smirk, pride, “he brought the information you found to me.”

Kirsikka relaxed, “So he was rewarded.” Bitterness. Hatred. The healing was all she’d get out of this. “I’m going to kill him.”

“I’ve no doubt,” Dravon said, “a shikigami. The White Sun is arrogant.” Obviously. “I can break free. But I may need help with that.”

“Is this extended to Rience?”

“If he cares to continue in my employ.”

“I want him dead.”

“Over information?”

Kirsikka didn’t answer that. She wasn’t sure. She was angry. And she was hurt. Dravon took her silence in stride, and shut his eyes again to return to the healing work.

Tamsin only stirred some, briefly waking as Varick left her side, and thus the warmth as well, but she soon drifted back to sleep, unaware of the commotion just yet.

Both Malina and Drazhan looked over at Varick as he made his appearance. Malina, the more frantic of the two, spoke up first, “Something’s wrong. Mikhail’s not here, and it’s not like him to leave without a note.”

“Are you sure he didn’t just take a walk?” Drazhan asked.

Malina gave the younger Primal an angry glare. “Yes, I am certain of that.” Her hands began to glow with the fiery temper that threatened to manifest itself into something physical. “Maybe you gave away the location, so that his enemies could find him.”

Drazhan held up his hands, “I wouldn’t do that after the hospitality he showed us.” Unlike Mikhail’s sister, whom he still wanted to strangle. But he wouldn’t bring someone innocent into that feud. “I may loathe your existence, but I wouldn’t drag someone else into the mix to get revenge.”

Varick couldn't claim to know Mikhail well enough to be certain of his habits. He could guess, even before Malina mentioned enemies, that Mikhail didn't hide his home for fun. He hid for a reason, which made any odd departure a concern.

So, he was inclined to listen to Malina in this situation.

Though, given Drazhan's reaction, that wasn't what had him worried.

“Have you checked Mikhail’s room already?” He didn't know if Malina just knocked and expected an answer or if she'd gone in. “Is there anything strange besides him being physically absent?”

Perhaps there would be signs of a struggle in his room if they looked. Or perhaps Malina had already seen something worth noting. Varick felt himself starting to wake up, in spite of everything. There was a problem. He had to wake up enough to deal with it.

Apparently ‘it’ was finding their host.

“Of course I checked his room,” Malina snapped, before sighing, brushing a hand through her hair. It seemed that the elder Primal was actually trying to logic his way through the disappearance, to which she could play nicer. At least, to him.

“His bed was made, which he usually doesn’t do until after his first cup of tea.” She motioned a hand towards the kitchen. “But there are no signs that anyone had used the kitchen this morning. He must have disappeared sometime during the night.” Which would be odd for most.

Mikhail wasn’t the one for nighttime strolls, unless it was early evening, when the last of the sun’s rays dipped below the horizon.

“Well, there’s also the fact that Kirsikka is missing,” Drazhan admitted, and Malina turned her harsh gaze towards him. “I believe she went to Mont Pellinor during the night, and never returned.”

“If that frigid bitch took Mikhail there with her-”

“Watch it,” hissed Drazhan.

Mont Pellinor.

Varick hated the thought of going back there, even in the daylight hours. It was the single lead they had, however. There was a chance that Kirsikka took Mikhail there, or Mikhail went there if he recognized that Kirsikka hadn’t returned – though why he wouldn’t tell the rest was debatable.

Varick could only let out a groan between the bristling argument of Malina and Drazhan, though. “Do you have any other thoughts, Malina?” he was willing to delay looking for Kirsikka and favor Mikhail, but if she didn’t…, “if not, we should check Mont Pellinor. Are you able to make us a way to there?”

He didn’t want to assume. Mont Pellinor was a strange place now, somewhere Kirsikka apparently thought she could disappear to and be safe as herself, which suggested that people didn’t go there, even if they could portal there.

He didn’t exactly need to ask why people didn’t go there.

Malina sighed, ignoring Drazhan for the time it took for her to think more carefully on anything else that could be amiss with the situation. In her hectic mind, overflowing with all sorts of horrendous and unlikely scenarios, the possibility of her brother’s old stalker didn’t cross her mind.

For all she knew, Rience was long gone and had a new obsession by now. He always had one.

“No, no more thoughts,” she admitted with defeat. “I can make us a portal. It won’t be enjoyable, but…” she shrugged. If there was a chance Kirsikka dragged her brother off to Mont Pellinor for whatever reason, then she would make sure the frigid bitch knew her displeasure.

That place was a haunted graveyard, full of creatures and magic even she didn’t want to encounter.

“We can leave now, or,” she took in Varick’s state, noting he is lacking his weapons and perhaps more protective wear, “whenever we are ready. And if it does turn out that Kirsikka is the reason Mikhail is there,” she turned to Drazhan, but the Primal interrupted her.

“What then? You’ll kill me?” He gave her a cold look, one which Malina didn’t back down from, until she did with a huff.

Some things were better left unsaid.

Varick knew.

Day would make it easier, but it didn’t guarantee there wouldn’t be problems. Just, several of the usual ones he could predict wouldn’t be around. “I’ll be ready shortly,” Varick said, casting a glance briefly at Drazhan as Malina offered a not-threat, “Keep your anger where it is deserved. Drazhan cannot control Kirsikka, nor Mikhail.”

Mikhail could make his own decisions about whether or not to go with Kirsikka. From what Varick had seen, Mikhail was likely not to go there unless he felt there was a good reason. That could mean something very dangerous, and he didn’t trust Kirsikka would have told the rest of them if there was something like that.

He was very curious as to what the hell she was doing there in the first place, but that could wait.

He turned back to his room and walked in, shutting the door behind so he’d have the illusion of privacy as he went to where Tamsin laid. He leaned over her and settled a hand on her shoulder as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. He murmured, “Going to Mont Pellinor. Two people are missing. I’ll be back,” he didn’t want it to sound urgent, or bad.

She could sleep in.

But if the news woke her enough, he wouldn’t argue too much against it. Mikhail was her friend; she’d want to help find him.

But he did move away, to get into his armor, and grab his sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back