• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Primacy [Closed]

Lore
Here
Other
Here
Malina couldn’t help the low chuckle as Kirsikka admitted to one of her feats. She didn’t think of it then, but it had been impressive to survive an attack from one who’s very magic had killed so many others in a single swipe.

“I’ll help you take them down,” Malina firmly said. She was determined to live to see them suffer for all the lies they’ve told and spread over the years to young and gullible minds like hers. “It’ll be easier to destroy them if you have intel on the inside.”

An implosion would be sweet.

“But out of all the lies they’ve told,” she continued, confusion evident on her face, “the stories surrounding the White Sun had been true?” It was originally supposed to be nothing more than an old tale, but it was very real. “And it has a living descendent?” With that, she looked over at Tamsin, the confusion not once fading from her face.

Tamsin shrugged. “I’m just as confused as you. I wasn’t supposed to be a part of this world of magic and gods or whatever. I’m only supposed to sing about them to people who are just a little too drunk for their own good.”

Kirsikka never doubted Malina’s help. Not when Malina’s faith was broken, it was obvious then that Malina would be an ally against them. It was a matter for later plotting, though. Especially as the White Sun was the larger issue.

“Their interpretation of the White Sun was wrong. At least, what they taught you,” obviously, they weren’t blaming the White Sun as the source of all monsters, “but yes, it seems the White Sun has progeny and Tamsin is that,” the fact the dagger only reacted when it tasted Tamsin’s blood was somewhat proof of that.

What the dagger would truly do, when activated, remained something they had to test, but they would get to that. There was a lot that Tamsin had to figure out, after all.

“You were going to tell us about the dagger,” Varick noted. Apparently, he hadn’t forgotten.

Kirsikka hummed. He hadn’t actually asked. Varick let out a frustrated groan, “What does the dagger have to do with anything?”

“So glad you asked,” Kirsikka’s tone dripped sarcasm, “it activates with her blood, which likely means it activates with the White Sun’s blood, as well. It didn’t work with mine, I’m happy to test it on you—”

“No.”

“—and if I’m reading the language right, it has a draining power. Not quite sure what that means, but we’ll test it, eventually. Tamsin wanted to do magic first.”

“What are you going to test it on?” Varick was not pleased with the continued danger Tamsin seemed to be in.

“Myself, obviously,” true, it might kill her, but she wasn’t going to risk the others in this, and it’s not like there was a point in testing it on an animal.

Drazhan was clearly displeased with Kirsikka wanting to test the weapon of truly unknown powers on herself, Varick was upset of the continued danger Tamsin’s life had become, and Malina clearly had thoughts about reminiscing over painful memories.

That’s why Mikhail could connect with many people. He knew how to read them quite well, and hated seeing someone upset.

“Not that talking about the dagger and the White Sun isn’t important, but the whole point of are little time together is to learn about each other and try and build some trust,” Mikhail said. “Discussions of the dagger can happen later.”

But now he needed to pick his next victim.

“Say, Tamsin,” he said with a teasing grin, “how long have you and Varick been together? In the romantic sense. Was it lust at first sight? I couldn’t blame you in the least.”

Tamsin flushed as the questions now directed onto her, something she was hoping to avoid. “We’ve been together for a few weeks now, and I would say for me, I found him very attractive from the first moment we met, though I’m sure his saving my life when we met added to his attractiveness.”

She hated this.

“Oh how romantic.” Mikhail enjoyed this far too much. “And you, Varick? I’m sure you found our bard here with the voice of a siren utterly captivating.”

‘No, the point was to let Drazhan get closure.’ Kirsikka didn’t really need any friendly, get-to-know-you time with the others. She had agreed to this mostly to help Drazhan, the rest would have been a bonus…if she wasn’t under the influence herself. Mikhail went for Tamsin as his victim, before Varick.

Tamsin, at least, likely would have been willing enough to share the details without the intoxicant. Varick, likely not. He was obviously reserved, and obviously the sort to carry a grudge. Mikhail was pushing his luck for someone who preferred peace.

Varick palmed his face. Lust at first sight? Not exactly. He’d recognized she was a woman and not a child, but just barely. “She’s not the usual sort I pursue so her attractive features weren’t immediately obvious. She was pretty, but in the way an untouchable maid is,” and he usually went for more voluptuous whores.

Not that he didn’t like the sight of pretty maids, but he’d always written them off and didn’t register them as sexual prospects. “Getting to know her allowed me to re-evaluate biases I had about women who look like her.”

Kirsikka knew she shouldn’t speak. Shouldn’t make herself a target…but, well, she had a weakness for tormenting people, “So what’s your usual type?” Plus, she didn’t go in to this concerned if Varick liked her.

“…fuller figure women who tend to work brothels.” Even when the slight maidens were in brothels, he passed over them. He’d hurt them, and possibly in a way that wasn’t pleasurable to them. He didn’t bother risking it. The other women had more muscle, and more, well, flesh, that he didn’t hurt them quite as much…or in a way they disliked. “I—”

“Nope!” Kirsikka cut him off, “Is Varick your usual type, Tamsin? Has he been your best lover?”

“Untouchable maid?” Tamsin repeated to Varick with a teasing grin. He hadn’t told her that before, and it amused her far too much. She wasn’t at all insulted by his words, because why would she? He was obviously into her now, and they all had an image of their type that they didn’t always follow.

She was just amused that his type were voluptuous women who worked in brothels.

Poor Drazhan just moaned his displeasure at the conversation. He never wanted to hear that much about Varick.

And Tamsin really didn’t want to answer the next question, moreso for Varick’s sake than her own. “...I would definitely put him in my top three of best lovers.” Even under the truth serum, she couldn’t quite quantify her best lovers, but she could confidently put him up there.

She certainly wouldn’t complain if Varick became determined to put himself as number one.

“My type though is typically more of the lean-muscle type, tall, and hair that is a little on the long side, but not too long.” Someone built like the heroes of the stories she sings, who could protect her.

“You know, you kind of described our Drazhan here,” Mikhail said, motioning toward the Primal in question with a wave of one hand. “Which I can't blame you in the least. My dear Kirsikka, is he normally your type? What would you normally go for?”

Varick was a bit bothered by not being top of the list, but he supposed he shouldn’t expect that. Lovemaking supposedly got better with a partner the more it occurred; he didn’t actually know that, he’d never bothered to keep one partner for long. Sure, he developed favorites but he’d never made a point of truly getting to know someone to improve the act.

He was also annoyed that, indeed, she did describe Drazhan. Not that he had issues with the type. Just that Drazhan was there. Now he had another reason not to want to travel with Drazhan, even if plenty of implication suggested Kirsikka had Drazhan wrapped around her finger. Even Mikhail’s question suggested it.

It was just hard to believe.

Kirsikka did give Mikhail a glare for the question, “I hope you remember I hold grudges when you all consider asking me questions,” she didn’t like talking of these things. She preferred her love life private, although she’d used Mikhail to talk about some of it, because he did have an interest.

Talking in a group annoyed her. “He’s my norm.” She didn’t need to explain it, and wouldn’t, unlike Varick. Dravon and Drazhan weren’t that different; they were both that lean, muscular figure. Dravon kept his hair shorter, but it was a dark hue, and both of them had combative personalities.

The fact their names were similar was the only annoying thing about it. “Do you even have a type, Mikhail, or is it just anything that breathes and isn’t related to you?”

Drazhan was pleased that Kirsikka considered him her norm, but then so was Dravon, which he didn’t like. He knew he shouldn’t let it bother him, but when Kirsikka almost called him Dravon several times, it sat in his mind.

Mikhail chuckled. “So the one who wanted to use the truth serum can’t deal with it in return. Tsk tsk.” And he wasn’t too concerned with her grudges against him, not over something like this.

“And I do actually have a type, believe it or not, although not quite physical attributes. I am more lured in by someone’s kindness and sense of humor, though I do find myself partial to a man with muscles or a woman with curves.” Like anyone else, really. “Drazhan, you haven’t answered the question yet. What’s your type?”

And here he was hoping to avoid that question. “Curvy and not afraid to speak her mind.” Both of which explained his attraction to Sophia in the past, and Kirsikka now.

“Definitely describes our Kirsikka here,” Mikhail grinned. “Was it lust at first sight?”

Drazhan snorted. “If I remember correctly, I flirted with her, and then she immediately threatened me, so yes.”

‘No, no I cannot.’ Kirsikka didn’t hide her annoyance with all of this, the same way Varick didn’t hide it. Mikhail wasn’t on the serum, but he had no qualms answering. Of course, it wasn’t too personal for him. He enjoyed these kinds of things.

And of course, Drazhan considered her to be his type. Which probably meant Sophia had been similar, or had some hand in shaping his typing. ‘Did she threaten you, too?’ Kirsikka would spare him that question. There were some things she knew better than to ask in public.

But, another time, maybe.

There was still much about his first love she wanted to know, if only because she’d been such an influential woman in his life. And, perhaps, to occasionally guilt trip Malina with information on the wonderful woman she’d killed.

Kirsikka couldn’t ever be nice. “If only I had known that, I could have tried to be nice,” she would have failed, but maybe everything would have been simpler if she hadn’t played into his type.

There was sarcasm, though.

Varick snorted, “I don’t think there’s enough gold in the world for you to be nice.”

“Considering I don’t care about gold, you’d be correct,” she agreed. “Speaking of not being nice, I haven’t embarrassed Malina enough to deal with my own pending humiliations thanks to her lovely brother,” sorry, not sorry, Malina, “Malina, who have you had crushes on? I’ve always wondered if you liked Dravon and that’s why you hated me.”

Malina had stayed silent in hopes the question wouldn’t come to her, but of course she couldn’t have that luck. Of course Kirsikka would remember her and ask her the one question she really didn’t want to answer.

Not even her brother knew the absolute truth, and it was one she had hoped she would take to the grave.

She glared at Kirsikka as her fingers dug into her thighs, trying to not answer the question, but the longer she waited, the worse the urge to answer grew inside her. “I hated Dravon for several reasons, but in the early days I hated you for being with him instead of me.” Her face was inflamed as she looked down at the floor, avoiding all eye contact.

Mikhail gasped. “You mean that crush you had for years, but never revealed their identity? It was Kirsikka?”

Malina groaned, wishing to blast Mikhail through his own damned shield right then. “Yes.”

‘What.’

The answer Malina gave was definitely not one that Kirsikka expected. Malina had a crush, on her? That seemed impossible, but there they were, under truth serum, and it was something Malina definitely wouldn’t have said otherwise.

She could definitely use this information for evil, once it finally settled, but right then, she was too bewildered. Apparently, she’d also never told Mikhail, so he could never try to arrange anything.

Not that Kirsikka was sure if she would have given Malina a chance in the early days. Possibly before Dravon…if she’d just said something. Malina did still fall under ‘her type’ as combative. Dark-haired.

“You really should have told me before I got with Dravon, you might have had a chance.” Now, of course, she didn’t. There was far too much history between them for affection to linger. But torture? Oh, yes, she could still torture with this. “You are combative enough, we could have had fun, though you’d be wearing the manacles, not me,” she winked, before deciding to spare Malina a little.

Which meant Tamsin was back in the crosshairs, though she’d take it down from this chaos. Malina’s reveal was enough to tide her over on torturing people for a bit. “Since this is now clearly just one big game of Truth or Truth, why do you like Varick? I mean, I’m starting to understand that everyone in this room seems to like jerks, but you at least seem untainted by that corruption.”

Varick rolled his eyes, but wouldn’t interject to defend himself or his reasons for being mean. He had reasons, and they were sound. Besides…it wasn’t bad to hear why someone liked him.

Malina wanted to set fire to everything in the room.

The information that Kirsikka may have given her a chance didn’t make her feel any type of way, not after their history, but just the fact that Kirsikka now had this information, as well as everyone else, was enough to hate everyone.

Mikhail would suffer the worst of her wrath.

Tamsin withheld the groan as Kirsikka focused her line of questioning back on her, but at least it was one she didn’t mind answering. Whether or not Varick minded in front of all the people was another issue. “Oh believe me, I’ve been with my fair share of jerks,” but nothing like them. A jerk on a whole different level.

“But Varick? He’s been genuinely kind to me,” which earned a scoff from Drazhan, “he’s been one of the few people who doesn’t mind when I accidentally talk for a long time, he’s strong and got that rugged handsomeness, watching him use his sword in battle is thrilling, and the sex is really great.” And she was certain she could find more reasons.

“And he’s been my muse for creating new songs, whether he likes it or not.” She sent him a teasing smile at that.

Curiosity nagged at Drazhan far too great for him to ignore. He asked Varick, “Wouldn’t this be your first actual relationship?” He could never remember Varick ever being in one before or mentioning one. “What about her made you decide to do it?”

Varick certainly wasn’t upset with Tamsin’s answer. He wasn’t the sort to blush, and he didn’t feel embarrassed, even if he’d rather it was all said in public. It was still nice to hear that Tamsin did think quite well of him. And the sex was still great, even if not first in line.

Something to fix later, obviously.

Of course, he never really thought Tamsin spoke too much. Likely because he knew he didn’t speak enough, under normal circumstances. He knew how important communication was…but he just never had much to say when there was nothing going on. He couldn’t conjure words and stories like, well, a bard.

So he never minded. He did mind being a muse, though, and sighed at Tamsin’s playful teasing – mostly, a mock exasperation.

He did mind Drazhan’s question.

“Yes, it would be,” no point lying, Drazhan knew his stance. “She travels,” that was, perhaps, the main factor in having a relationship with Tamsin, “she’s willing enough to travel with me, as well, and not insist on settling down somewhere,” obviously, there were other reasons, but that had been one of the main ones in deciding to pursue a relationship with Tamsin. She wasn’t looking to settle in a single location. She wasn’t trying to force him to deal with that kind of life.

Most weren’t.

Most weren’t interested in furthering his life at all, but would have wanted to try and take him from being a Primal. “She’s not annoying, even if she thinks she talks too much. She's interesting,” otherwise he wouldn't have even humored it, even if she did want to travel with him. But pretty and interesting? Certainly, “she’s not trying to get me to stop being what I am,” it wasn’t just a job to him, not anymore. It was all that he was. A monster hunter. A Primal. “Those were good enough reasons to see how it played out with a mutual attraction. She knows she can leave at any time; I wouldn’t blame her.”

Far from it.

Tamsin grinned with Varick’s explanation. It all seemed reasonable enough, and likewise, Varick wasn’t a man trying to get her to stop traveling and settle down to start a family. He encouraged her independent life, and he even enjoyed watching her perform. She couldn’t ask for much more in a man.

“Isn’t that just too sweet?” Mikhail cooed. “A Primal and a bard, an unexpected perfect couple.” Tamsin chuckled at that. No way Varick would enjoy that little tease.

“Speaking of couples,” Malina spoke up, directing her attention towards Kirsikka, “what was it about Dravon that compelled you to stay with him for centuries?” Setting aside childhood crushes and jealousy, she just didnt get it at all. “Was he just that good in bed?”

Mikhail shot her a look, one she ignored, and Drazhan was genuinely curious to know the answer. Was there something special about this mage she had a difficult time moving on from, even more so now that he was back in her life?

Kirsikka was not happy at all to have it turned back to her. And back to Dravon. Did Malina want to die? Probably, actually – there were easier ways to ask for death. These were not things she wanted to say in front of Drazhan, but she had no choice.

Well, she could cut out her tongue. The truth serum only compelled speech, not writing. She could speak in elvish, and the thought occurred to her. Drazhan probably wouldn’t understand enough of it.

She didn’t know about the others.

“Yes, he was that good in bed.” She switched languages in frustration, and saw Varick’s eyebrows raise with some surprise.

“That’s cheating.”

Kirsikka shrugged, and continued in that language, anyways, since she had to answer the question. “But that’s not why I stayed. He was one of the few who believed in me when I was young, and he was the one who went out of his way to see that I got what I needed. When I grew up and he rejected me because it was wrong, I didn’t take no for an answer.” It hadn’t been wrong anymore. They were both consenting adults not in a power-relationship.

“And he was just…always there. At my worst. At my best. He always wanted to be in my life. He always cared. He always encouraged me to do better, to be more. We had our issues,” plenty, “but…I liked the fucked up stability of him being there. Knowing he was there, even if our last interaction was a fight. I could always go back.”

So no wonder she lost her mind when he was gone.

And then she shifted right back, “There. Can we be done now Mikhail or do I have to note the next question about Dravon, I’m taking as a violent act and will respond appropriately?”

Malina raised an unimpressed eyebrow when Kirsikka began speaking Elvish. Varick already said it, so she won’t repeat it, but she was cheating. Malina could understand a little, and so could Mikhail, but not enough to fully understand her answer.

“I suppose a dick good enough could make any woman keep coming back,” Malina said before Mikhail could answer Kirsikka. It was the one part of her answer she could fully understand, the rest were just words here and there.

Mikhail groaned and waved his hands in a quick gesture. “Yes, I believe that’s a good sign we are done here. The shield is gone, so you may go elsewhere and hide away for the remainder of the time the truth serum is still in your system.”

No one liked to have fun anymore. They always resort to violence.

Malina immediately took her leave, rushing up the stairs and into her room without glancing at anyone. She was already plotting revenge on Mikhail.

Drazhan wanted to speak with Varick more, but he also wanted to cool down some, and so he headed back to his room as well, hoping Kirsikka would soon follow him.

Knowing Varick would want to escape and seek privacy away from people, Tamsin headed for their room after sending a quick smile to Mikhail. She may have been the only one to enjoy their bonding session.

‘Don’t think I won’t have revenge for that.’ Kirsikka did scowl at Malina as she indicated one of the few things she understood. It wasn’t wrong, but it wasn’t the whole story, either. Not that the whole story made things seem any better, to anyone else. Thankfully, Mikhail took his cue and lowered the barrier.

Malina was gone immediately, and even Drazhan rose to hurry off. Kirsikka considered going anywhere else; she wasn’t likely to escape questions in private, though that was a bit more…tolerable. ‘Well, you can always leave if it gets too much.’ The one benefit of magic – portals!

Not exactly great for creating a relationship, though.

“I’d say thank you, Mikhail, but considering I’m still plotting revenge for being put under truth serum in the first place, it wouldn’t be honest,” so she couldn’t quite say it, though she was relieved to have the shield down. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” she would follow after Drazhan then, debating if she could just go back to potion making and being ignored.

“Did you get what you wanted?” she did ask that, at least, once they were alone. If not, she could always drag Varick back for more questions.

~***~

Varick was glad to have the shield dispelled. He certainly wouldn’t be trusting the food in this house again, but that was a problem for tomorrow, when he was hungry. He’d said far more than he wanted to under that damn serum. Dealing with the fallout would be a pain.

Drazhan was going to be stupider than usual.

Varick, of course, retreated to his own quarters, and let out a heavy sigh once behind the closed doors. He didn’t know exactly how long this serum would remain in his system. He liked to think his own blood would get rid of it sooner than later, but he didn’t know. He hadn’t been subjected to a truth serum before.

“Good night, Tamsin,” he knew it’d be better to sleep it off than stay awake, even if the ‘good night’ was half-hearted. He had a feeling this wasn’t done yet, there was likely more Tamsin wanted to ask, and why not? Why not while he couldn’t decide at all what he said?

He was really starting to hate mages.

Kirsikka came into the room after Drazhan, a fact that pleased him. He was honestly a little afraid that she may disappear somewhere after being drugged and subjected to questions she didn’t want to deal with. Well, they all got a little taste of that, except for Mikhail.

Lucky bastard.

He nodded at her question. “I got some actual answers, which is a start. What I want next, to try and fix the relationship, will take more time than just one evening drugged.” It would take a lot of time with someone as hard headed and stubborn as Varick. He didn’t let go of grudges very easily.

But, if Drazhan could befriend Tamsin while on their travels together, then that could help with things.

“How, um, how are you taking things? I know things didn’t go quite as you planned…” She never had intention of answering questions about herself, and yet thanks to Mikhail, she was subjected to the same torture as the rest of them.

~~~

Tamsin was expecting a conversation, a change of topic, anything else besides a ‘good night.’ “Good night?” she echoed, frowning at him. “Well unfortunately for you, I’m not tired, and I want to talk.” And since he said earlier that he didn’t mind her talking at all, he could deal with it.

“Don’t worry, I know you don’t want to talk about Drazhan any, so I won’t bother you about that.” She was insanely curious though. Now that the truth was out there, would Varick try to mend his relationship with Drazhan? Would Drazhan bug him even more from now on?

She gave him a teasing grin. “What I want to know is what about me made you think ‘untouchable maid’ when we first met?” She had certainly been no maid since before she left Antalya, and untouchable? Tamsin was certainly curious about that.

“And should we ever find ourselves at a brothel, should I worry that your eyes will wander over to some busty wench serving you ale?” She continued to tease. She didn’t feel any worry that Varick would stray from her, and though back as a growing adolescent, she would have felt self-conscious over her smaller figure, those days were long gone. Besides, she at least had a great ass.

Drazhan seemed satisfied with what he was able to glean so far. He could develop a plan from this, and move forward, so Kirsikka knew her job was done. That was some relief. Dragging Varick back for more questions would not have been fun.

Of course, she was still not going to be spared questions, even if this one was innocent enough.

She still had to answer it.

“I’m upset with Mikhail’s trickery. I know it’s hypocritical, but nonetheless,” she shrugged, and went to where she’d stowed the potions to take a seat and try to busy herself with that. Sadly, they were outside of the phase where she needed absolute concentration, so she couldn’t use that as an excuse. “Revenge will be sweet when I figure out what I want to do to him. Or allow Malina to take that over.”

No doubt, she was thinking about it, too.

“I am glad I could help you get what you needed from this, though.” That made up for it. A bit.

~***~

Varick groaned, hitting the bed and laying down in an attempt to still try and sleep, even if Tamsin was going to pester him with questions all the same. Sure, he probably should dress down, but this was his only way to protest the questions. Trying to sleep, immediately.

But Tamsin was there, asking him about his type, and why he thought of her the way he did.

“Small women seem untouchable by default,” Varick stated, staring at the wall, trying to rephrase words in his head in ways that were honest, “they don’t have the additional fat that makes them seem like they’ve developed into a women. I know they have, but my mind just says they’re probably too young to be touched, or at least, touched in my rough manner.”

Which Tamsin knew. He wasn’t always rough, and not even intentionally, but he had a strength that did get away from him when his blood was hot.

“My eyes may wander, but I won’t,” he said. It wasn’t like he couldn’t notice if a busty woman leaned over his table while delivering ale. But looks weren’t enough to part him from a person. “Should I be worried you may stray for some strapping young knight more to your tastes?”

“It is hypocritical,” Drazhan agreed plainly. “He is still sheltering and feeding us without wanting any compensation.” Well, Drazhan hadn’t heard the mage mention anything of the sort. “Maybe you should leave the revenge to Malina.” She would be able to enact revenge without truly pissing off Mikhail. Maybe.

He sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed closest to Kirsikka. “I am too, but now I’m just worried that nothing will come of this. That he’ll pretend nothing was said and continue on.” That would just make their entire evening useless. “Of course I’m going to be annoying about it.”

He will make it entirely Varick’s problem.

His next thought Kirsikka may not like at all, but he couldn’t help the slight grin on his face. “So I’m your type?” She may not like it, but he preferred that change of topic rather than thinking more on what Varick had said.

~~~

Tamsin withheld a chuckle at Varick’s obvious displeasure at the questions. She joined him on the bed, laying down next to him with her upper body on his torso. His reasoning made sense, and she didn’t feel any type of way about it. What was important was that he didn’t hold onto the thought that she was untouchable. She very much liked it when he touched her.

“Well, I do know that I like it when I’m touched in your rough manner. Prefer it, even.” She reached one hand out to gently stroke his face, enjoying the rough sensation of his beard. She was tempted to tell him that he could even be a little rougher to her, if he wanted. She won’t break. Bruise, maybe, but in that pleasurable way she loved.

“I could hardly blame your eyes for wandering,” she chuckled. “I just may look as well.” How could she blame him for that? There was just something about a voluptuous woman. She had even entertained a night with them before.

Tamsin was tempted to tease Varick over his question for her, but the truth serum wouldn’t allow her to say what she wanted to say. “I’m pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. I find my tastes shifting more to older, scruffy men with a grumpy exterior but a secret heart of gold.”

Kirsikka wouldn’t doubt Varick’s ability to ignore this at all, and pretend it never happened. That was the hard part. ‘I’m not sure you being annoying is going to help.’ It sounded like a sure way for Drazhan to get punched, but it was his choice. She’d done what she had to in order to get him information, what he did with that information was up to him.

Apparently he was also forgetting how easily he could annoy her, though.

She gave him an irked, sidelong look for the question. “I already answered that with a yes, Drazhan,” of course he wanted to hear it again. Fucking egos. “You’re not going to let me just get back to potion work without questions, are you?”

No, that’d be too easy.

“You know I’ll start asking some.” It wasn’t as much of a threat to him. She knew it. He didn’t have nearly as much he wanted hidden, but damnit if she wouldn’t try, questions depending.

~***~

Varick did arch a brow as Tamsin noted she might look, as well. It probably shouldn’t surprise him, given her choice of career, but he hadn’t thought of Tamsin with women. Then again, he hadn’t really entertained thoughts of her with other men, although he knew that happened, so that wasn’t much of a surprise.

Did he have to worry about women now?

At least not presently. It seemed he had grown on her. “Hmm. Not even from voluptuous bar maids?” he supposed this line of questioning wasn’t…terrible. It was a bit entertaining. “Didn’t realize you had an eye for women at all.”

Or maybe it was just because they were hard to look away from regardless of preferences. He’d definitely seen more than one woman staring, and he didn’t think all were interested in women in such a way. He supposed it was possible, but he doubted it.

“Have you been with women before?”

Drazhan smirked, shaking his head. “No, I’m not, and I think you already knew that.” If she ever thought he would go somewhere and be quiet, and not bother her, then Kirsikka hadn’t learned much about him at all.

Maybe that was why Varick tried to deny his true thoughts about Drazhan. His tendency to be annoying.

“You know I won’t mind questions.” That wasn't a threat to him at all, not in the privacy of their room. He was willing to share about himself with her, to build that early relationship. Unlike her, who was more withdrawn about herself.

“I know you and Dravon have had a…weird relationship for a long time now,” maybe he would regret his question, “but since you’ve never mentioned anyone else, was he the only guy you’ve been with?”

~~~

Tamsin couldn’t help the light flush on her cheeks as Varick inquired about her attraction to women. The subject hadn’t come up before, and she knew some people could be a bit off about that sort of thing.

But Varick wouldn’t. She was confident he would approach almost everything with an open mind, like her.

“I do have an eye for women,” she admitted. “I have an eye for everyone, really. I guess I’m just a hopeless romantic that way.” Tamsin had even written songs about women she met on the road.

They were always such great muses.

“And I have been with women before. Never anything long term though, just one nights here and there during my travels.” She felt comfortable in telling Varick that, even as she didn’t have much of a choice at the moment. “Does that make you feel any certain way?”

Of course it was about Dravon.

It was always about Dravon. It made all of her threats null and void, because there was nothing like Dravon with Drazhan. He didn’t seem to mind any subject, but she loathed this one. Not…Dravon and the subject in particular. She loathed she was always telling anything about Dravon, to people who seemed predisposed to dislike him.

Or to someone who probably saw Dravon as a threat.

“No, he’s just the only one who mattered,” Kirsikka sighed, meaning it both in the purely physical sense, as well as the dating sense. “I was with people before Dravon,” she gave on trying to put a potion together, but stayed where she was, sitting on the floor near the bag of supplies, “it didn’t work out for one reason or another. And when Dravon and I had our breaks, I’d usually find someone. Most of the time it was simply to make him jealous.”

She never really gave anyone a chance.

“Are all of these going to be about Dravon?”

~***~

“Mmm,” Varick was still a bit surprised, but not terribly. Tamsin was a hopeless romantic, and in her line of business, it just seemed fitting she’d find inspiration anywhere, and love anywhere, as well. Something as ridiculous as man or woman wouldn’t matter to her the way it mattered to Varick.

But, that was something he simply couldn’t force himself to prefer or want.

“A bit surprised, but I shouldn’t be,” even if she’d never said it, some things should have been obvious. “Well, that, and I may have to watch to make sure no barmaid tries to steal you away, now,” he chuckled, and shifted a bit so he could actually wrap an arm around Tamsin and not try to remain stubbornly against all of these questions.

“Was there ever anyone you were with long-term besides the…one abusive asshole?” Varick asked. He knew he wasn’t her first relationship, but now he wondered if he was only her second, or if she’d had some other, actually good, experiences before all of this.

Drazhan got up from the bed and moved to sit next to Kirsikka on the floor, near her but not touching. “No, they won’t all be about Dravon.” That would simply be cruel, and Drazhan wasn’t trying to completely piss her off. He did want their new relationship to work out, after all.

“I don’t know much about your life before the Ordo Sors.” The topic of her childhood never really came up before, and he didn’t know if it was a tragic one, or just something she didn’t really think about anymore. Did she even still have the memories?

“What was your childhood like? Was there something else you wanted to become before you went to study to become a mage?” Imagining Kirsikka in any other profession felt weird, and imagining her as a simple housewife even more so.

Of course Drazhan didn’t have the chance to imagine a different life during childhood. Primacy was all he ever knew, until it reached the boiling moment between him and Varick the day he left.

~~~

Tamsin chuckled. “You may have to keep a watch out. Those barmaids have a way with words, and I do seem to have a preference for those with incredible chests,” she teased, running one hand over his chest. She wouldn’t actually do that, but like Varick, she may look.

She hummed her confirmation at Varick’s question. “The first guy I was ever with physically.” She smiled softly at the memories they had together, growing up in Antalya together. “We’ve known each other since we were small children, and we grew closer and closer together as we grew older. When we were sixteen, we eventually shared our first kiss and our first time together.”

A part of her still cared for him deeply. “When I realized I needed to leave Antalya and he needed to stay for what remained of his family, we ended things amicably. When we were in Antalya, I was told he now has a family of his own,” which she was completely happy about. He deserved to move on and start a family of his own.

Her hand trailed back up to lightly trail over his jaw and up to his cheek. “You said you hadn’t been in a relationship with someone before, right? Have you ever had someone you considered a love or close to romantically?”

Drazhan got off the bed with the promise that not every question would be about Dravon. She’d be a fool to think she was done with those, but she was given a reprieve when he asked about her childhood. She leaned her shoulder into the bed, “It’s such a small part of my life, but yes, I remember it.”

She hadn’t been a child long at all. A blink of an eye by her lifespan.

“I never knew my mother; she suffered as most, death from pregnancy,” Kirsikka didn’t blame herself for it. Her father never blamed her. “My father, Vilho, intended me to take over his glassmaking business. I didn’t much question it; I don’t really remember what I wanted, but I don’t recall being upset about this. I suppose it’s why I still have such an affinity for making my own mirrors,” no, she knew it was. “I only use Kheimon’s sands for them.”

It was how Dravon knew to track her.

How anyone who actually knew her, knew how to find her. If she had a mirror, it was usually one she made. “I figured out magic through mirrors. Scrying was the first thing I ever did…it wasn’t an explosive blast, or anything so sudden as that. It was just that. I wanted to see something, and the mirrors let me explore the world. It was better than any book.”

And couldn’t last.

“When I left to become a mage, my father passed the business on to some cousins of mine, but it’s long since closed up shop.” Her blood continued, but in a way she didn’t follow, although she wondered how many might claim her as a relative to scare others off.

“I have an idea of what your childhood was like,” she noted, “but I also know it must have changed from what I heard, back when Primals were…well, not nearly extinct. Varick seems to get so upset with my methods, too, so I’m curious. What was it like for you to grow up a Primal? How did you even get it into your head to be something else?”

~***~

Even Varick could allow a deep laugh to shake him a bit at the commentary on chests, paired with the obvious implications that his was, also, extraordinary. He knew well that barmaids knew how to win over people they were interested in – just as they knew how to dismiss those they weren’t. He’d been on both sides of that.

He didn’t take offense when turned down, unlike some.

Tamsin waxed poetic about her first love, which seemed to have been her first everything when she was a young girl, before she left her home. Before she began traveling. She didn’t seem upset the love had moved on, and he hummed agreeably at that.

This one deserved happiness, if it was all amicable.

“No,” he answered with a bit of a sigh, “I’ve never allowed myself to be around others long enough,” there was Calliope, but he’d never held romantic feelings towards the siren. If he ever had, he likely would have doubted them as an enchantment of her voice. “I never let lust mingle into actual affection,” he was affectionate, and he held warm feelings for most, but it wasn’t romantic.

A strange platonic warmth, despite the sex.

He never looked at the other Primals that way, either. The love there was also, strictly, platonic.

“It never bothered me. It was simply never going to be a part of my life,” he’d accepted it, as he accepted so many other limitations. “It’s strange to try and reconcile that it is happening now, but I’m not going to run from it.” He’d let it flow, and go where it went – to a long adventure, or a short one.

“Were there others on the road that lasted longer than flings, or just those two?”

Drazhan sat very near Kirsikka as he listened to her weave her story of her childhood. It didn’t seem very atypical at all, from what he’s heard of other people telling their own story. From what Sophia told him.

It was obvious he didn’t share a typical childhood, as Kirsikka brought up. He first allowed himself to imagine Kirsikka as a glassmaker instead of a mage. It seemed odd, at first, but it made sense, as she mentioned, with her mirrors, and her homage to her home with Kheimon’s sands.

With the question of his childhood, Drazhan sighed and leaned his head back against the bed to look up at the ceiling in reflection. “It wasn’t easy at all growing up. Varick was very strict, and you pretty much had to do exactly what he asked or there would be dire consequences. Often, some of us would find ourselves going to bed hungry. There was no warmth to be found.”

And a young Drazhan sought for the warmth that he could never find. “I didn’t really intend to be something other than a Primal. I was just curious, and I wanted to spend some time traveling and seeing what life was like outside of the Primal home. Obviously, Varick took that as my wanting to completely leave them behind.” He shrugged. “The rest is history.”

~~~

Tamsin grinned at Varick’s reaction to her little comment, glad she could create such a reaction from him. He deserved to laugh; all too often he was far too serious.

And he deserved to love too, Tamsin thought as she listened to his story of not allowing himself to be around others for too long. Everyone deserved that experience of love.

“And now you get to have it as part of your life, and I will help you with anything that may seem daunting or confusing for you.” Such as dealing with emotions or feelings he may not have experienced before, or something like talking things out when Tamsin is doing something he isn’t comfortable with, like training with Kirsikka.

Tamsin hummed as she thought for a second on Varick’s question. “There were a few people here and there I shared more than one night with, but nothing that turned into an actual relationship. Just those two.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back