Other Post Length Isn't Everything

I hear a lot of talk about post length. People sometimes have very long requirements for length when doing partner searches, myself included of course. I realize that assigning a "minimum" post length of five sentences, five paragraphs, or whatever, it's not the right way to look at it all. Since when was it deemed best to measure the quality of something with quantity?

This is not a defense against one-liners. Actually, quite the opposite. I don't think that they are personally very fun, especially in telling a story where people want detailed replies (and hence longer replies.) But one-liners is beside the point. Long replies too in certain ways can be just as harmful. I'm no writer, but I learned that long replies can be boring if they're void of content. There seems to be some sort of recurrent formula for a lot of them: "x thought this, x felt that, x then said that and did this." It's a lot of filler too. Sometimes posts are made long just to be long. Not because the writer is inspired, but are perhaps worried about disappointing their partner, at least I sometimes have that feeling.

I see a lot of people saying that longer is better, that longer makes you a talented writer. But no, I don't think it does. I think the ideal role play writer knows how long to make their post. They don't write 18 paragraphs to show off their length but have empty content, they write in a length that captures the moment as best as they can. The ideal role-player, in my opinion, knows what length to write in the situation; not too long where it's so much information that it's entirely dense and ridiculous, not too short where you garner nothing out of it, but some sort of middle path, where you balance quality and quantity.

I'm curious to know what you guys think. Of course, it goes without saying to please be respectful and all that stuff.

EDIT: I didn't see there was already a discussion on this elsewhere. My B. Don't mind this thread here.

Last edited:
I don't mean offense by this, but why was this posted here? Like, there was a whole other discussion in this very same forum about this exact topic and this isn't even approaching it from another angle...

I don't mean offense by this, but why was this posted here? Like, there was a whole other discussion in this very same forum about this exact topic and this isn't even approaching it from another angle...
I honestly didn’t even look at the subforum.

Well, I think you'd benefit more from posting there, since pretty much everyone willing to talk about the topic is there. If you want feedback to just share your opinion you'll get more traction there if you want to see what other people think you're better off seeing what they've said in discussion in there. Since I doubt people will want to repeat it all to a new thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back