Experiences Poll: Do you know quest RPs?

Do you know what quest RPs are and if so, have you participated in one?

• B)I have heard of them, and even after reading your explanation I still don't get them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D)I had heard of them but didn't know what they were until you explained. I'm interested now!

• F)I was mistaken about what it meant up until now (do comment what you thought they were please)

• Total voters

Idea

The Pun Tyrant
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Greetings! How's it going?

So for those of you who don't know, quest RPs are this seemingly little-known part of RPN composed of RPs that function like "choose your own adventure" books. The one running the roleplay writes the entries, while the other participants simply have to vote on which of the given options they want to give in response to the entry. The one running the roleplay then writes an entry based on that response and so on and sof forth.

That is what a quest RP is. An rp in "choose your own adventure" format, with players voting for options and entries being written in response to those votes.

Quest Rps, like any other thing in life, have advantages and disadvantages:
Quest Rps are convenient for one kind of player and for the other. That player which barely has time to RP or often lacks "the muse" can rest assured that they will rarely have to do more than vote and read the entries. Because entries will not be instantly written this means even those with the busiest of schedules should be able to participate in a quest RP as an equal to the vast majority of the other participants, while still getting the entertainment.

The other kind of player that benefits from a quest Rp format is usually the one running said quest RP, and it's those more inclined to having a story of their own or who want to write something more wholesome , more book-like, without having to coordenate it with another player or ending up without the response aspect of the RP. The quest RP participants are actively engaged in helping to tell the story, but the one running it is the biggest contributor to creating that story.

With that said, the disadvantage becomes clear. In quest rps, not all players are fully equal, and some get staggeringly less protagonism in what happens or the writing itself. Because those two things are often tied to the very entertainment of an RP, it is understandable why this genre would be vastly less popular.

However, having recently been trying to run a quest RP myself I noticed a shcoking number of people don't even know what a quest RP is. Or perhaps that was just a biased sample. So I am starting this pool in hopes of knowing the truth, and hopefully being able to bring a bit more attention to this genre in dire need of some more love and support from our great community.

Hope ya'll have a great day or night!

I looked into the definition sometime ago and I believe I understood it, as well as yours now. I admit it's kind of counter-intuitive to me though. It's in an awkward place between a "normal" RP, where people just write and direct the story with words, and a Visual Novel kind of thing, where only one person is writing a story and other people (who aren't participating in the creative process, in other words, an actual and exclusive audience) can vote on the protagonist's actions or consequences.

I've had an interest in writing an interactive story (another way I know to refer to the Visual Novel-like flow) and I feel like it would be pretty weird to mix that up with RPs. Admittedly, I've never participated in one and have checked less than five quest RPs before, so I have a very limited sample for analysing, but I think it tries to be the middle ground between two things that usually wouldn't mix well.

Admittedly, I've never participated in one and have checked less than five quest RPs before, so I have a very limited sample for analysing
To be fair, there isn't much of a sample to analyze. There are very few quest RPs, like what, five interest checks at most for groups at least, and even those are 2/3s dead. Plus any that does get started will often end up losing a lot of traction really quickly.

I thought quest RP means a specific tasks you need to do in your RP that you need to complete in order to fulfill the quest so you can get experiences and stuff for your roleplay character or like your account stuff in this forum that kind of stuff.

Guess I'm stupid then.

I thought quest RP means a specific tasks you need to do in your RP that you need to complete in order to fulfill the quest so you can get experiences and stuff for your roleplay character or like your account stuff in this forum that kind of stuff.

Guess I'm stupid then.
Nope but no worries you're not stupid, I made this thread specifically because a lot of people have misconceptions like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back