Advice/Help Player Number Limit: Pros and Cons?

BackSet

Ray of Sunshine
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So, I'm starting an RP and I want to keep it small. I figure the best way to do this is probably to have a player limit but I'm not sure. Could anyone who had familiarity with such things explain to me how such a thing might work and whether it would be beneficial or detrimental to the RP?

I think player limits are most useful for helping you figure out when to start.

So like the roleplay will start when X number of roles are filled.

But more important is having a very clear system in place for when people have to drop out.

As the problem with specific roles is what happens when Main Character three drops out? I usually just write the character out of the current scenario through some off screen errand. Depending on the setting this can be the character is temporarily injured, grounded, busy with their job, whatever.

Then you either replace the character or you pull the sitcom where it’s the same character just slightly different face claim / personality,

But that really depends on how specific the roles are gonna be.

There aren't really gonna be any "roles" in this case.

I'm also really worried about quality control because I know that if I do first come first serve there's a high chance I'll end up with a bad apple or two (for the record, I don't have super high standards but I do have some rules) but at the same time I feel bad when I turn people away even if I do have a good reason for it (which is also one of the reasons I'm unsure in regards to a player limit in the first place because I feel bad when the RP is full and then somebody comes in super excited and I have to tell them "no we're full sorry").

That seems like more of a management issue then a player issue.

I think rather then worrying about numbers what you need to do is come up with specific requirements.

1. Hey we will kick this off when ___ roles are filled. Try to get your CS in by ____.

2. I would add a writing sample or link to old roleplay to the CS. Also ask people for their hours of availability it will help you find people who are compatible.

— saying no can be difficult so I usually have a template set up before hand and just edit it. “Hey thanks for sending an application but it’s not quiet what I’m looking for. Good luck on your search (or you can list improvements needed that’s your choice.). —

3. I also think just having a system in place if someone leaves helps. And a system of time skips to keep the story moving forward.

As you don’t really have to limit players to have good quality. You just need to have very clear expectations and be willing to enforce them.

Just remember hurting someone’s feelings isn’t the same as being mean. We all have to take rejection at some point. It might hurt for a moment but if you roleplay for any length of time you kinda get used to it.

Well, the main detriment to player limits is on the GM. It's the psychological hurdle you mentioned of having to say no, as well as the burden of having to figure out what number concretely is right for the RP. However, outside of that, I find that very seldom to RPs ever benefit from having no limits on how many players can join, and those RPs are RPs that are essentially designed from the ground up to have a flow of players who come and go from the RP. The reason why they don't set a number of players is because they don't need to in order to keep their numbers in check anyway, and if they do get an excessive number it's only temporary without much need for intervention.

On the other hand, the pros of a limit on player numbers are very evident. Less players is easier to manage, and makes it easier to put a spotlight on each of the players. Group dynamics are likely to be more stable if they manage to form, and you can fit players into the story and world without having to worry about some other player coming in and suddenly having to try to fit a square peg into a round hole. Less players reduces the chance that at any one time you have a player who can't post and makes it easier to handle when it happens, and more manageable numbers also means that you can have a firmer and more comprehensible grasp on the kinds of obstacles you can put in the way of the characters. Lastly, the most obvious benefit: Limiting players means not having to deal with the issues that comes with having too many players.

Generally what I would recommend, and what I do myself, is set the initial player limit a little bit higher than the final group you want. This is to account for the very likely event at least some players will drop out, but without putting too much excess burden even if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back