• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Planetary: Brave New World - FATE Core

Crocodile

Mister Zero
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
Have you ever wondered about the secret history of the world? Have you wanted to uncover it and share it with humanity? Perhaps your wondering why you've started to develop an odd and impressive set of abilities? Have you ever feared that the person looking back at you in the mirror is in fact someone else? Another you?

Planetary: Brave New World is going to be based on the fantastic comic series by Warren Ellis. The big difference being I am setting the game in 2025 and you all just happen to have all been born in 2000. That might not seem like something major, but in Planetary that makes you a Century Baby. To be born a Century Baby means you have terrifying and amazing potential along with powers beyond imagination.

Each player would assume the role of one of those Century Babies, grown to early adulthood and now invited to join Planetary. The world has so many secrets even after the great renaissance brought about fifteen years ago by Elijah Snow, the former head of Planetary. You are the new generation, this is your Century, your era to shine and seek out the world's secrets. But you will be opposed, your foes will be relentless in their own agendas for in this amazing world... others have found their own ways to be empowered.

So, I think I have @The Dark Wizard on board, anyone else wish to take this up?

Edit: After consideration and discussion we're changing to the FATE Core and may incorporate Strands of FATE as I must information for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seeing views but alas no interest. Even just one other and I can run with this since I wanted 2 to 4 players.

Good to see someone knowing the base material and interested on some level.

Yeah I think I'd be interested. My tabletop schedule is open as of late just finishing a L5R campaign. I read the wiki page for savage lands and I like the system. I'd be willing to give it a try.

@Genma : Your more than welcome and it gives me at least a pair to work with. I'm also willing to help players make characters and figure things out since I've got the rulebooks in hand.

@Grey : So, are you interested? Seems I could have three to operate with if you are.

I really don't like Savage Worlds, but I'd be willing to consider it - since it's you, and also Planetary.

Oh, and KoK is waiting on posts now I've got it revived and all.

Grey said:
I really don't like Savage Worlds, but I'd be willing to consider it - since it's you, and also Planetary.
Oh, and KoK is waiting on posts now I've got it revived and all.
Oh? Awesome, my updates freaking must have screwed up again.

And understandable, Savage Worlds has its quirks. Buts its got a decent Super Powers system. I had mused over using Mutants & Masterminds but I've honestly but eager to give those new Super Powers rules a run. Planetary seemed perfect since I could make your high power heroes while driving some twisty plot, plus I've so badly been wanting to run a Planetary game ever since I read the comics for it.

Have you looked at Strands of FATE? Fuzz and couple of other folk have recommended it to me for stuff like this.

That said, lemme have a look over the books and get back to you. Excited to see what you've cooked up post-comics.

Hmmm, I do have the new FATE Core Rules. I also had good experiences with FATE the last time I played it with powerful characters and in Dresden Files...

Damn, now I'm going to read that book and maybe see what I can think of... Plus those rules are basically free for all to have though I actually bought a book to support them. Plus nothing beings something real in hand to read through.

Had to run a sci-fi horror scenario with some near-transhuman players recently, using Strands - went pretty well aside from the players deciding they weren't buying in to the horror before they sat down.

Ah, that's unfortunate when players do that. Kind of takes away an element of it all if they pull that.

Hmmm, thinking on that.. So tell you what, if you down for it I'm going to say at least the FATE Core System since it does open thing up to quite a bit. Probably Strands of FATE as well once I can buy a copy. It is a very open system particularly for powers.

Well, its definitely FATE now, I'm just brushing up on the revamped rules and looking into getting Strands to see if I'm incorporating it.

Any news on Strands?

Also, I have the idea of a precognitive - and also, I think I have an awesome way to make it work within RP constraints AND how the timestream works as we saw with the last issue.

That one's mine. I have an idea of how precognition works in the Planetary-verse, based on the stuff we got from Drummer's talk about time travel. Want to hear it?

Basically, we already know that Schrodinger's applies to the timeline: as composed of probabilities. And time travel for one, causes the waves to collapse and lock time in set events.

Same sort of observational effect with precognition - quantum mechanics style.

Not much of a big deal when you're looking very shortly into the future. Like the way you predict an opponent's actions in combat or 'just what to say.' The situational variables are already there, temporally speaking, and it can be fitted into place smoothly, you'll perceive it easily....

Now, going further out, in a classical Greek way, in the sea of unknowns and unlinked continuities, you lock fragments, but they are not yet linked in.

So if you see it, it will happen, but it's only the destination, not the road. Meaning the context and just what is actually happening is not exactly what it might seem to be.

Croc, if you're thinking GM-invoked plot visions, this is where I'm going with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back