• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Phones Don't Skate

Matthew instinctively stepped back from.

There was a smattering of mutters behind them.

"Matthew Anderson? Who's that?"

"Doesn't he play for the Toronto Maple Leafs?"

"No no, that's Alan. Alan Anderson"

This was the second time this had happened in twenty-four hours. How many people would recognize him? Maybe he shouldn't have moved to a small town. Nobody ever recognized him in Toronto or New York.

Baily turned around. "You don't know who Matthew Anderson is? Two-time US Figure Skating Champion, Two-Time Junior World Champion? Can I have an autograph? Can you sign my Polar Bear plushie?"

She turned to Matthew, her eyes wide like Helena's were yesterday.

Matthew obliged as she handed him a pen and a small keychain, but he could feel Helena's arms tugging on his. She was almost certainly pouting.

"Ooohhh I saw him at the Olympics once."

Bailey's eyes landed on Helena again. "Is she your date? I thought you were dating Claire Wu? Or had something with Paul Devereaux"

"No, she's not, Wait, what?" Matthew was totally thrown off. He stared flabbergasted at her while Helena's grip on his arm slackened and she looked visibly disappointed. Matthew didn't notice.

"It's on your Wikipedia page." She said and whipped out her phone as Matthew moved closer to see her screen. He could feel Helena tugging at it again.

"Anderson is rumored to be in a relationship with Ladies' Skater Claire Wu" He muttered. "Well... we're not. And she's dating someone else."

Bailey's eyes lit up "Is it-"

"No, it's not another skater." He said firmly. "And don't quote me on that. She wants to announce it when she's ready."

In other words, during a Time Magazine spread for the Winter Olympics.

"Why would you think I had something with Paul Devereaux?" He asked curiously.

Baily blushed crimson and muttered something that sounded suspiciously like Tumblr and fanfiction

"Are there any more of you?" he joked.

Baily and Helena looked at each other and shook their heads. "I didn't know you were into skating, Bailey," Helena commented a bit sourly.

Baily nodded enthusiastically.

Last edited:
As far as parties go, Win didn't go to too many. It was standard for a good athlete to be popular, but Win definitely preferred a quiet celebration with her father and brother rather than a huge hullabaloo.

When she entered, it was the male portion of the party that greeted her. Most were genuinely nice and enthusiastic, some even bold enough to complement her appearance. All seemed to lack the tiny bits of fear and hostility they usually carried around her. It was enough to bring a shy smile on her face.

But then there were people like this guy, "Lo and behold, Winfred Tamford actually has boobs!"

The smile on Winfred's face instantly dropped.

Luckily for her, the people surrounding the commentator had stepped back and quieted. A large shadow had popped up behind the man, and others were smart enough to shut up.

"Porterfield." Rhydian rumbled. "Fuck off."

Porterfield ducked. "Yes, sir!" He ran as fast as his track legs could take him.

After a hug was exchanged between the siblings, Rhydian jutted his chin to the area behind him. "Winny, the study. We need to talk."

Win stopped, "I can't Rhydian, I have something I want to do today while I still look like this."

Her brother shook his head, and then as fast as lighting, he latched onto her cheek. "Come on."

"Ah! Ow!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Look at 'im, Carter. They're all just lapping out of that guy's hand." Elliot Vallis tossed another cup of generic beer into the trash. His eyes were lasered on the man who had arrived with Helena. A growing sense of jealousy was gradually getting harder to hide. "That's it."

Carter Bentley remained quiet. She was instructed to give this man as many drinks as he could physiologically handle. Normally, she advocated sobriety, but for Win and Rhydian, she would label this an exception.

Within the room they were currently looking at, more people had congregated to listen in on Bailey.

Bailey hugged her new signed plush, " Thanks so much, by the ---"

Fanny interrupted her. It was a battle for attention and she was not about to lose. Her bright - cunning eyes blinked, and she linked her hand like a snake over the appendage Helena currently wasn't using. "That's just fascinating. Would you like another drink?"

She had a red plastic cup in her hand faster than you could say thirsty.

Helena grimaced, "I think he's fine for now. C'mon Matt, let's go into the patio --"

A big shadow fell over the entire group. Elliot stood along side two other nondescript men. He had a bright face, and looked amiable, but inside he was a mess of alcohol and envy. Meanwhile, Carter had fled the scene. Her part of the mission was accomplished. The rest was up to testosterone and timing.

"Matthew Anderson, is it?"

Helena beamed. Of course she did, Elliot had only ever showed her a gentle side. "Elliot! Yes, this is Matthew. The guy from earlier."

Elliot nodded, and he smiled kindly. "You're a...figure skater?" His voice emphasized the last fact, and the men behind him scoffed, even though the women didn't find anything wrong with it. "Where you from, kid?"

"Yup! " Matthew confirmed. He smiled and ignored the last jibe. He got that a lot but he was half expecting Claire or Alex to jump out of the bushes to defend him.

The cluster of girls who had been clamoring for autographs behind him tittered. By this point Bailey had latched onto Matthews other arm. She was glaring souerly at Elliot and straightened up like she was his vanguard. She didn't know him but she'd heard rumours. Even Helena knit her eyebrows and stood up a little straighter.

"Brooklyn" Matthew answered. "Although I've been training in Toronto. My rink mate has been trying to convert me but I'll always be a Brooklyn kid at heart."

The girls behind him giggled and laughed although what he said wasn't particularly funny. Matthew looked decidedly uncomfortable but didn't try to squirm free of the multiple women on his arm

"I don't want to meet her. I'm not 5 anymore, Dad can't force me." Winfred spoke rapidly with aggravation.

The study was the only safe-haven against the noise in the house. Two siblings stood paces away from each other, the distance getting longer as Rhydian kept talking. "No one is forcing you, but Dad made a promise. Don't think of it as a favor for her, but as a way to save some face for Dad."

"Then why can't you meet her."

"You know why."

Win did know, and she didn't like the reminder. "Exactly! So why do I have to meet someone who is capable of doing that!"

Rhydian smoothed his hair back, taking the opportunity to breathe in deeply and subsequently expel the air. He felt like all he had been doing lightly is sighing. "Win. Don't be angry for me. I stopped pitying myself a long time ago." The look that passed between them was something only these siblings could comprehend.

Win's eyes grew glassy, her lip beginning to betray her emotions. "Fine. I'll do it this week. Tell Dad I lost my phone and --"

"About that, you should give that guy his phone back."

Win's eyelids spread apart widely. "But...I'm only borrowing it!" Quickly, she fled to the door, but her brother laid a hand on her elbow and held her back. "I promise! I'll give it back as soon as the moment presents itself."

Rhydian shook his head, "Not that...just, stay away from Elliot today. Please." Rhydian was regretting his earlier plan.

Win's eyebrows strewed together in confusion. "Why?" Then her gaze flattened. "It was Helena right. You're close to her. She finally admitted that she likes hi--"

Rhydian's frustration bubbled over. "Win, for one goddamn second, would you just open your eyes! Elliot is an idiot. He doesn't see you as a woman! No one sees you as a woman!"'

And silence.

There was no response from Rhydian's sister. Just a hazy expression, before the door to the study slammed close.

-----------------------------

If there was something athletes could sense from a mile away, it was when a fight was about to brew. People from the back of the property were gathered around the spectacle that was Matthew Anderson. Some in awe, some bored and waiting, others envious. There were plenty of people beginning to pick sides. While the ice skater didn't look weak, he certainly wasn't capable of handling three brawny men.

Fanny didn't like the feeling she was getting, and like a cougar who didn't want her pray to get snatched up, she urged to run away. "Listen, Mattie. Can I call you Mattie? If you're tired of talking, we can head to the rooms upstairs." The comment was effective in making the other two girls scowl. Bailey and Helena were also beginning to feel something wasn't quite right. Bailey, more so than Helena.

Before any of the 3 girls could act upon their doubts though, Elliot's buzz had finally turned into a red-eyed drunken stupor. Normally, he could hide his idiocy under his handsome face and amiable smile. But the way Bailey, Fanny, and even Helena protectively stood next to Matt, combined with alcohol, turned Elliot's smile into a wicked frown.

"Brooklyn huh...I heard Brooklyn guys are good on their feet, great boxers." Elliot threw his head back and let the buzz rush to his head. "But I don't think you could take on much, right."

Helena's gaze grew disgusted. "Elliot, what the hell is with you?"

The person in question clenched his jaw, "I'm perfectly fine. Finer than him anyway."

It had begun, the battle of words that would surely lead to a massacre.

Helena sensed the trouble now, but unlike Fanny and Bailey, who were securely wrapped around Matt, she went to go find help from Rhydian.

Hearing he wrenched free of Fanny's grip, dislodging Helena in the process. He scowled at Fanny and spoke in a much firmer voice than his usual sheepish tone. "No. Don't call me Mattie"

Only his brother called him that.

He caught Helena's hurt gaze and his expression softened.

"I'm sorry-" He stammered. "I didn't mean-" He liked Helena, who had been nothing but kind to him since he arrived. Who drove him to practice and had agreed to give up two hours every day to help him practice.

Her gaze softened too and it seemed like she understood as she shot Fanny a disapproving look. Still, any possible confrontation was interrupted by Elliot.

"I.... I don't want any trouble" Matthew said and he stepped back a couple steps before being he realized he was pushing against the gaggle of girls behind him.

His muscles tensed as he tried to square up his shoulders and braced for impact but the punch he was waiting for didn't come.

Instead, Bailey stepped forward, finally freeing Matthew's other arm. Unlike Elliot, she didn't seem sluggish at all and had just enough alcohol to lower her inhibitions but stay sharp.

"Who do you think this is? Finer than him why? Cause he's a skater? Is there something wrong with us?"

Unlike Matthew, she was much more successful at squaring her shoulders and stood confidently against Elliot.

"I'd like to see you pull off four rotations while jumping and landing backwards on shoes attached to knives. Matthew Anderson is an Olympian. He has won more national and international medals than you will ever see in your pathetic life. He could take all of them, forge them into a baseball bat and beat you senseless with it. His twin brother is the defenseman for the Toronto Maple Leafs and his best friend is the leader in Women's Figure Skating. And You? Can you claim that? No, you do track. A skater is both an artist and an athlete. To win, it takes skill, precision and years of dedication. All you need for track and field takes are good genes and brawny legs."

She was speaking so fast, Matthew barely picked up half of what she said but he picked up the gist. He wanted to do nothing more than sink into the ground.

"I'm not that good" he tried to stammer out in protest but it was mostly drowned out by the chatter around him. "I didn't even score top 10 in the Olympics or last year's Worlds and barely medaled at nationals last year."

As he glanced nervously around the crowd, which seemed to have formed a circle around them, he noticed Helena was gone. His heart sank. Had he offended her?

Last edited:
Every word from Baily was like a hot pocker grinding against Elliot's blood vessels. His face grew an ardent red, starting off from his neck to the whites of his eyes, and finally ending at his forehead, where a vein pulsated against his skin. To add insult to injury, Matt had managed to humble himself even when his list of accomplishments had far succeeded that of any man in the room.

Elliot moved, and instantly the crowd backed up. The bitter scowl on his face gradually turned into a sadistic grin, infused with disorientation from what was surely the alcohol in his system. His large index landed on Baily's forehead, and with a light shove from his finger, he sent her reeling into Fanny.

A collective gasp resonated from the onlookers, but all were much to willing to keep watching and not intervene. They were not disappointed in their decision.

"Let's see how well an Olympian can fight."

The track star wannabe took two short strides forward, and extending his fist towards Matt, gnashed his teeth together.

Fanny and Baily cried out, one mourning the loss of her pray, the other mourning the loss of her idol. The majority who had missed the first punch, were now holding out their phones, catching the moment where Elliot threw his weight forward and extended his fist in the air again.

"Where's your shield of girls, now?" He brought his fist down violently, eliciting a horrified shriek from Helena, who had just arrived with Rhydian by her side.

But a hand caught Elliot's wrist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If someone had told Winfred Tamford that she would have to lay a hand on the person she had liked since she was in pre-school, she would have laughed. And yet there she was, her eyes bloodshot from crying, standing over Matthew Anderson - of course it had to be him - and blocking the second punch to an already beaten face.

She had not gone to look for Elliot, just like Rhydian instructed. She had instead fled to the kitchen - to hide the way her eyes burned red from shedding tears only the most blatant truth could cause. It was only when she sought for Carter that she came across the worst possible scenario.

To her, it was like seeing herself in public school again. The way big kids in school would gang up on her because she didn't have a biological father or a real mother. Those were things that never bothered her, but it pissed of others for no reason other than that it could. She was defenseless and they could vent their anger at her.

But just like before, she was not defenseless, and she was not going to watch this joke of a confrontation any longer.

"Urk!" Elliot felt his shirt tighten around his neck, and then the whole of his weight went flying backwards, into the two other men he had brought, and right underneath Rhydian's feet. Angrily he glowered at his assailant, ignoring the shock that had come from discovering it was Winny, and barred his teeth, blood beginning to seep from his chin which had hit the floor. "Jesus Riddle, your sister's a freak."

And that's what the crowd treated her like. Camera's were out and they had captured the whole of the event, and surely it was all over social media by now.

Winfred's green eyes turned glassy, but she bit the inner lining of her mouth. She wrapped a hand carefully around Matthew's forearm, without a care of what others might think, and then she looked at Baily. "First aid?" Win said distantly.

Baily's heart was pounding furiously, but seeing the serious expression from the woman in a suit, she hastened to reply. "I - I don't know."

Fanny bit out irritatingly, "Bathroom, first floor, I saw it in there."

She nodded slowly, half lost in her own thoughts. She aimlessly moved her hand from Matthew's forearm to his hand and led him to the bathroom.

The crowd did what they did best: nothing.

They recorded them though, but soon they were distracted by the painful grunts coming from Elliot Vallis...as Rhydian Tamford beat him to a pulp.

Last edited:
Elliot's swing came way too fast for Matthew to dodge. It took him right in the eye and he crumpled like a sack.

"Come on, Mattie, dance for us. you do ballet don't you?" A rough hand shoved him to the ground. "Dance for us like the little girl you are."

"Mrs. Smith said you won your regional novice competition, that means you're bad at everything right? It means you're the region's biggest loser."

"Mattie's a total noob too, a noob and a girl."

This was just like Middle School all over again. Back before he moved to Toronto and went to a private school for athletes of all shapes and sizes. Except for this time...

"What are you doing to my brother!"

"Oh crap, Alex"

"Guess you're lucky your big brother's here to save you"

"Mattie! Are you alright?"

Alex wasn't here to save him. Calloused hands grabbed his own and for a moment he could pretend they were his brother's. But despite the similar texture, they were too small and the fingers too long.

He let them lead him through the crowd, still dazed from. When he finally sat down on the cold porcelain seat, he looked up and opened the good eye to see his savior. It was the girl who'd stolen his phone.

"Thanks," he muttered. "Is there any ice?"

He could feel the bruise already forming. Luckily he didn't have regionals. He wondered if he did well enough to qualify for the Grand Prix Prelims and wondered if it would heal by then.

Realizing something he pulled out his, no her, phone from his pocket. He opened Twitter, which he had logged into earlier, and check his notifications.

A sense of dread filled the bottom of his stomach as the phone pinged, and pinged, and pinged.

His mind was racing.

Within 20 minutes he'd get a call from his coaches telling him to shut up, act normal but not to go out any more than necessary and wait for a call from their publicist who would handle this.

Within the hour, He'd be getting frantic messages and calls from Claire and Alex, having no doubt heard from his coach.

Within three hours, it'd be his parents and the rest of his rink mates and rivals.

And by tomorrow... he could already see the headline.

Washed up Figure Skater gets into fistfight with frat boy

Shakily he clicked on a notification. It was the entirety of Bailey's rant captured in glorious HD with the latest Samsung model.

Tilly Winston @titterston 8 min ago
Fan defends Olympic Figure Skater Matthew Anderson

As Elliot moved forward, yelling was heard, drowning out the commotion, the camera shook and everything went black.

M @maskatesfan 4 min ago
Replying to @titterton
@MattSkates ???

Willinator @willinator 2 min ago
Replying to @titterton
Someone needs to put that bitch in her place.

Max @millianmix 4 seconds ago
Replying to @titterton
All you need for track and field is good genes and muscles? Like figure skating isn't just for little girls and the gays to prance around pretending to be Elsa.

He felt sick, he didn't want to read anymore. He clicked on another one. This one was of the hockey girl slugging Elliot in the face.

He became frantic and hit the logout button. "I need my phone back. It's going to blow up. You should disable your social media and get Baily to do the same. I... I hope no reporters are coming but... but..."

His voice cracked. This was because of him. Because he HAD to come to this party and as a result ruin these people's lives.

He buried his face in his hands and moaned.

"Maybe I should just go back to Toronto." He muttered. "And then you can have your rink back and I don't have to deal with this shit anymore."

He was always running. He ran from Toronto to escape his heartache and now what was he going to do? Run back and hide behind his younger brother? He couldn't stop the tears filling his eyes and splashing onto his Team USA sweater already stained with puss and blood. He had always been weak, both emotionally and physically. Weak, pathetic and small.

Win's attire lacked the luster it originally arrived with. There wasn't much of a point in keeping her hair tied when strands were escaping on every end. Her suit jacket was also rumpled. It was better off on the bathroom floor, where she eventually tossed it.

She didn't know what was going on inside Matthew Anderson's head, but the mood matched his overall countenance. When he thanked her, she nodded gingerly. At his question, she reached just above him. Her eyes were exhausted, and still red, but his face looked much worse. "Not...yet." She replied in a lulling murmur. "There's a cut on your face."

In her reach was a first aid kit, unused and barely housing the essentials. She pulled on it...as he moved to grasp something outside of her peripheral vision. When she looked down, she saw her phone within his hands.

She didn't have to see the video to know where the audio came from. After all, she'd been there.

When he put the phone down, the mood changed once again. This time into something familiar, something she recognized from earlier. An overwhelming sense of defeat.

Soon the kit in her hands was brought down and opened. She crouched to his level, but before she could unravel the contents that she needed - he started to speak.

From the moment he mentioned the phone and Baily, to the moment he buried his head in his arms, Winfred dared to say nothing.

Watching someone cry - that wasn't herself - was strange. She knew how to treat people physically, but she only had her father as a reference to use when treating someone emotionally.

Her fingers slid between his forearms, carefully gliding up and up, until Win had to tentatively pry her fingers through his hands and expose the growing black eye on his face. "You can cry..." She laid a tender finger on his chin and turned his face languidly. In her other hand was a cotton swab with an antibacterial. "...but that's not going to make either of us feel better."

She dabbed at his eye, and tears, lightly, but after awhile, when she was satisfied with the coverage, she wiped her hands and reached for another swab. "Peroxide." She warned before continuing.

"I'll give you your phone back, but don't worry about me, the rink, Toronto, or Baily Wittinger. " Her voice was not as gravely as her father's, but it had its own warmth. "You're the one with the black eye right here and right now."

Her hand slid his blonde hair back without a thought, aiming to expose more of his face. Then, it went past it.

"Here." She reached behind him, trying to find the center of his back and push it forward. "Take it from me, this is how you square your shoulders even when your opponent is stronger than you. Don't let anyone ever do it for you. Not Baily. Not anyone."

Her hand came to rest back at his chin. She continued to apply first aid until she felt her own energy draining.

A knock came from the bathroom door.

"Matthew, are you in there?"

It was Helena.

This time, there was nothing in Win's green eyes. Not hate. Not dislike.

She took the blue and white phone out of her pocket. "Take it." She said. "The battery is dead...and I think that's a good thing."

She smoothed a band-aid over his cut, running her finger over the creases. "Let's not meet again in this kind of circumstance, Matthew Anderson."

She opened the bathroom door, bypassing Helena and her questioning look, and moved father away. The party outside had come to an end.

Last edited:
Matthew hiccuped and wiped the tears from his eyes. He blushed as she reached behind him and pushed forward his back.

He caught his reflection in the mirror and with his glasses off, blotchy patches around his eye, and a band-aid on his cheek, he was reminded a lot more of his brother.

He could hardly believe this was the same person as the one who stole his phone and threatened him at the rink. He was wondering if she had a twin before she handed him her phone and said her cryptic goodbyes. He was too stunned to say anything back.

Helena shot a dirty look as Win left, having seen her pat down the band-aid, but her displeased expression melted away as she saw Matt hunched on the toilet.

"Matthew, are you okay?"

"Yeah" He croaked, "Relatively speaking. Is the girl who defended me still here?"

Bailey ran in, holding a ziplock bag full of ice cubes still dripping with red punch, her face full of worry. She handed it to Matthew who held it to his eye.

"Bailey, right?"

Her face lit up and she nodded eagerly.

"Listen. I don't want you to get into any more trouble because of me,"

She sputtered out a rebuttal but Matthew continued.

"Maybe you should disable your social media accounts for now. You're You should come to my place and I'll give you the business card of my coaches and their publicist. Hopefully, this is nothing but it might just go viral."

Bailey nodded slowly, the gravity of her actions finally settling in.

"I'll drive" Helena offered.

It wasn't until Matt crawled into bed and plugged his own phone in that he realized he still had Win's as well.

--

Helena was still disappointed and a bit bitter. Turns out, Matthew Anderson hadn't been interested in her and was just that goddamn nice. She had fallen hard in the last 24 hours. She took a deep breath. She would get over it. She was just being stupid and starstruck.

"I didn't know you liked Matthew Anderson," Bailey said.

Oh right. She'd agreed to drive her home. It was hard being one of the few students with their own car.

"More of a figure skating fan in general," She said. "I adore Claire Wu. She's absolutely amazing but like... Matthew Anderson? Wow. I honestly never thought I'd meet a star like that."

"I KNOW RIGHT?" Bailey shrieked. "Regionals are next week. I've never made it past them but I hope I do! I'm skating to Vivaldi, you know? Matthew's last free skate."

Helena face brightened as well. "It was amazing! It's such a shame that he flubbed so many jumps last season... and then he downgraded them in worlds as well."

"Matt's always had confidence issues." Bailey mused. "It must be hard, I was convinced he was dating Claire Wu and they're definitely very close. It must be hard being always compared to her. But despite that, he's always gotten top performance scores. He still got third best PCS "

Helena's eyes glinted and the two girls launched into a long conversation about scoring, other skaters, and Matthew Anderson until they reached Bailey's apartment.

"Baby, stop poking him with my car keys. He's alive."

Rhydian swept the floor of the abandoned party house. He didn't have to turn his back to know his girlfriend's curiosity was getting the better of her. Carter had remained behind to wrap her lovers bloody fist in some bandages, sending Win home with her own car, and now she was just coming across Elliot's unconscious body.

Carter sniffed angrily. "I should scratch his eyes out. Who knew he was so...ugh."

Rhydian shook his head. Tempting, he thought. Then, he wondered how his sister was doing...but a big part of him knew that if she wasn't okay, it was more because of him rather than Elliot.

"Carter, what's Winny's deal with the new guy? Matthew Anderson."

Blue eyes widened. "Um...I donno. I forgot." She lied. She wouldn't dare mention that Win had been talking to Claire Wu and Alex Anderson.

Rhydian stopped sweeping.

"You...sure about that."

Carter looked away innocently, poking Elliot's unconscious foot with the end of the car keys to distract herself. Soon, her boyfriend was behind her, and she shrunk in size considerably next to him. He had the same raven hair and green eyes as his sister, but they had a different affect on her body.

"Maybe I can remind you then." Rhydian said, before sweeping her up.

=================================================

Win was in the bath, back in her and Fanny's dorm of course. Her body was bare and submerged in water that contained no bubbles and no scented balms. Her arms almost always remained crossed over her knees. Occasionally though, she would submerge the bottom part of her face in the water, drops gliding between her shoulder blades, keeping her eyes above the water like an alligator. Then, she would close her eyes and pretend she was short enough to submerge herself fully.

She could still hear snores from outside.

Fanny had been too drunk to notice the mess Win had made a day earlier, but not too drunk to moan out Matthew Anderson's first name in the middle of her sleep.

And hearing his name, even like that, made a mesh out of Win's stomach. So many things went in and out of her brain, but all she could focus on was the way that man had cried.

And now, with no audience, she began to cry too.

It wasn't for long. Soon after, she was dressed and in her bed, falling asleep to storming thoughts of her impending meeting with her mother, the fact that Elliot was a monster, and thoughts of her brother, Claire Wu, Alex Anderson, and...of course...Matthew Anderson.

She lost her consciousness to her dreams.

The next day, Matthew rolled out of bed and turned on his phone.

He first called his parents and Alex, who were frantic with worry. Alex had wanted to fly down immediately before Claire stopped him and suggested they wait a couple of hours.

Then he called his coaches who seemed to take everything in stride, reassured him that this will blow over and to try to keep a low profile. Matthew shouldn't be surprised. According to rumour, Yuuri had had 20 flutes of champaign during the post-GPF Banquet and challenged Victor to a dance off. Apparently, there was a stripper pole involved. Either way, the two blew up social media by kissing on international TV during a competition and getting engaged during another one months after.

Finally he called Claire, who breathed a sign of relief. He rolled his eyes as he listening to her lecture on public image, responsibility, and avoiding trouble, but after letting her vent, she seemed really happy he was getting out of his comfort zone which seemed to contradict her earlier lecture.

He looked at himself in the mirror. He couldn't go out looking like this. His head still felt a bit woozy. Did he have a concussion? He did feel good enough to go skate though.

Unknown Number: Hey, I'm really sorry to ask >_< But can you go buy me some concealer? I left all my makeup in Toronto.
Unknown Number: This is Matthew btw.

Half an hour later, Helena arrived waving cheerfully with Bailey in the front seat.

"How much was it?"

"Don't worry about it!" She said she smiled at him. Even if he wasn't interested in her, she would do anything to repay him for what he did for her.

"Did you do what I asked?" Matthew turned to Bailey.

Bailey nodded. "I skyped with your coaches last night. I was really nervous! My first meeting with Victor and Yuuri Nikiforov and I got their protege in trouble! But they were really nice! Oh and Yuuri gave me an NDA, and since Helena was with me, he said it was the same one she needed. So we're both good to go!"

"She got some awful messages before she could disable her account," Helena whispered. Then louder. "Have you checked the news? Or twitter"

Matthew shook his head. "Yuuri should have released a statement on my behalf by now, that I'm safe and thanks for the support and stuff"

"It's mostly bailey's rant but the fight afterward also gained a lot of traction. Nobody's really focusing on you though, it's clear you were trying to get away."

"I shouldn't have said those things" Bailey moaned. "Honestly I don't know what I would have done without your coaches."

"Well if you didn't say them, someone should have." Helena snapped "Elliot was way out of line! Do you still need someone to watch you skate?" She asked.

"Definitely. I think I might have had a concussion yesterday so you should definitely come"

The two looked horrified before Matthew looked at them puzzled. "It's alright. I've gotten them before"

Besides, he thought as he picked up his bag. Win might show up for her phone.

The first thing Win noticed when she woke up was that she was suffering from a fever. The ends of her ears were hot, and the apples of her cheeks were warm to the touch and red on first sight. Her head began to pulsate as her roommate's voice shattered the small bits of sleep she had left.

"Do you even know how to clean up!? Not even my ex homeless rockstar of a boyfriend lived like this in California!!" She was in the bathroom, muffled by the closed door.

Win swung her legs over the side of the bed. She held her temples and rubbed them. "Fanny, could you kindly shut up for a second. I have a headache."

She'll have to cancel her classes. She was going to be late anyway. Maybe she could text one of her classmates and ask for notes, and possibly work assignments. Maybe some Advil too.

Her hand extended towards her night stand carelessly, touching all over the counter, but finding a vacant space. Not even Mr. Polar was in sight. A sense of loss ran over her chest.

"Crap." Win sighed. Her phone was not in her possession.

She got up shakily. It was too hot in this room, and Fanny didn't want to open the windows and let the cold front outside come in. Win didn't think much about it, instead beginning to dress herself to go outside. When she was ready, she decided to stop by Cosmos' to get some snacks and medication before dropping by the rink. She didn't know if he would be there this early, but she was too sick to come up with a different idea.

When she opened the door to Cosmos' convenience store, she was instantly aware of the gazes being thrown her way.

"Shit." Winfred looked down, the red scarf around her neck hid her lips and chin. She berated herself for forgetting what day it was. Track meeting.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry Dad. I didn't know she would get involved."

"A semi-famous athlete, Rhydian! Do you know that her face actually appeared on my news feed? My old wrestling coach called me and asked if she was looking to become a professional!" A booming voice startled the baby deer scavenging the floor for food.

"I'm sorry. I'm making sure Elliot doesn't press any charges, trust me. Dad, please just call her and make sure she's okay. I don't think she wants to talk to me right now."

"
You're goddamn right I'll call her. I'm hanging up."

"Wait, Dad! Her phone --"

Dean Tamford tuned his son out and mashed his large fingers over the dialing pad of his old flip-phone. He wasn't much for new technology, given that most of his retirement life was spent near the Upper Mississippi river wildlife.

He waited for the dialing tone, but he was a hot blooded man like his grandfather, and on the third tone, his gravely deep voice warned. "Winfred Evangeline Tamford, you best answer this phone."

Helena, Bailey, and Matthew were chatting happily taking a break. Matthew had suggested the two combine their rink time to which Bailey responded by nearly bursting his eyebrows with her shriek. It was then that the other phone in his bag rang.

"You still have her phone?" Helena asked incredulously.

"Who?" Bailey looked puzzled, and Helena began to fill her in.

Matthew skated over to Caller ID indicated it was her father. Good, maybe she was borrowing it to call herself and get this back. Once he heard him growl, he realized that wasn't the case

"Umm... hello? Mister Win's Father?" He said hesitantly. "Hi. Uh.... I seem to have picked up this phone by mistake."

"Winfred. You wouldn't happen to know what Elliot's been upto lately?" One of the track members, whose face Win didn't bother spending mental energy on, mocked coolly. His comment made the others huff out laughs.

"Can I get an Ibuprofen too? Yeah, thanks." Win ignored him, asking the teenage teller for her items and watching her bag them.

"Wiiin, don't get angry. I wouldn't want you to go all hulk on us." More laughter, a little stronger now.

She didn't turn around. She was much to sick and much too sensible.

"Prissy ice skaters are your type, huh Win? Even got you to turn away from Elliot."

Okay. Maybe she wasn't so sensible.

Her arm wrapped around a young 20 something year old man, gripping tight until he let out a forced breath. "I can't help but love men who have no need to overcompensate for their size. You all understand, right?" She patted his cheek, leaving behind a nice red palm mark. "Have a beautiful day."

She slinked away, carrying her medication and the like.

-------

Dean Tamford nearly had a heart attack. "Mistake? Who are you, and what have you done to my daughter?!"

He'd served his years in the military and the navy. There was no such things as mistakes.

"My daughter better be okay. Or I will look for you. I will find you, and I will kill you."

But it was about this time that the daughter in question had arrived at her favorite rink. Cosmos wasn't too far from there, and it didn't take long for Win to greet Amy and explain her need to go inside.

She was sporting a splotchy red from her illness, but she still managed to jog to the group of two girls and one man.

Helena gestured widely to her phone upon arrival.

Win raised an eyebrow in confusion, unaware that her father was pulling a better Liam Neeson than Liam Neeson.

"I haven't done anything to you daughter I swear!" Matthew sputtered "My name is Matthew Anderson, I just picked it up one day and- "

"Matthew!"

Matthew was about to launch into a full explanation of the events over the last few days before Bailey finally got his attention.

"Oh wait, hold on, she's here." He skated over to Win handed the phone to her.

"Please don't let your dad kill me," Matthew said meekly. He wrung his hands and his eyes darted around the ice out of nervousness.

Helena and Bailey glanced at each other, concerned about the red splotches on Win's face.

Win breathed heavily. She was winded and still hadn't taken medicine. When her phone was back into her rightful hand, she looked up to see Matthew cowering again, more than last time. Exhausted, she sat down, "Who striked the fear of God into you this time?"

She put the phone into her ear, "Win, you've got a hell of a lot of explaining to do."

Oh, that made sense.

Soon Helena and Bailey were looking at each other for another more peculiar reason, the conversation on their end proceeded to become something entirely weird.

"Matthew is uh...friend."

"No Dad, not that kind of friend."

"Yes, I remember grandpa's Vietnam flashbacks."

"Protection, Dad? I'm not sleeping with anyone!"

"Rhydian already met him."

"No you don't have to meet him too!"

"Look, Dad. I'm tired and --"

"I'm not tired because of that, I'm tired because I'm sick!"

"Yes, yes, yes...and I am meeting her. I love you and goodbye."

Win hung up and breathed in, ignoring the fact that her breaths were ragged and dry. When she realized that people were staring at her, she bristled. "My father says hello."

She put a hand to her neck and rubbed it, and upon turning her neck to her side, she caught a look of Matthew's eye. "What's with the make-up?" She reached a hand out to nearly touch him, but then a wave of nausea and memories from last night hit her. She pulled her hand back before it ever reached him. "A black eye is major street cred around here."

Helena was the first to speak up, "It's not exactly okay for him to run around with a black eye."

Bailey was more adamant. "He has to keep a good image."

Win looked highly amused. She clucked her tongue. "Okay, whatever you say." She turned to Matt again. "Um...not to pry, but how'd your friends take it? I know Claire worries for you a lot, and so does Alex. Some shitty secretary I am." She mumbled the last part to herself.

Both Bailey and Helena widened their eyes. How did Winfred know Claire Wu and Alex Anderson?

Win rubbed her nose, which was gradually becoming more stuffy. Her fever was pulling a fit.

Matthew turned beet red when he realized where her conversation with her father was going.

When she reached for his eye, Matthew winced. He guessed it wasn't enough to cover it up. Hopefully, from a distance, it would be enough.

"I think Alex was ready to fly down here and give Elliot a piece of his mind" Matthew winced. He wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those punches either.

"Clarie gave me a huge lecture but was kinda pleased that I went to a party instead of spending all day on ice or in the studio"

Matthew seemed to take everything in stride. He hadn't yet read the text she'd sent to them but knew she had said something. Those messages were buried beneath the angry, frustrated and worried texts. She couldn't have done that much damage if his friends were still talking to him.

"Hold on, are you all right?" He asked looking concerned "You look kinda flushed and you're breathing really heavily"

"Yeah? Cool, guess it turned out better than you expected." She was sincerely glad for him, although she doubted the repurcussions of last night were trully over.

Upon listening to his observations surrounding her appearance, she shook her head. "I'm okay...I should get going anyway, I just stopped by for my phone, and if our first meeting is any indication, you're not exactly fond of loosing your rink time." She teased goodnaturedly, but a part of her felt dissapointment at seeing his supposedly private practice go public for two individuals.

She shook it off. "I guess I'll see you around Winona. Sorry for, y'know, ransoming your phone." She half grinned, but when she stood, the smile dropped. A wave of heat rushed to the top of her head and floated down. It brought chills to her body.

Helena had never seen a giant fall, but when Win's butt landed on her lap, she sort of felt like a tiny chair housing a drowsy gaint. "Um, Winfred?

Win sneezed into her tightly wrapped scarf, wondering why her bench was so knobly. "I'm...fine. You should go back to practicing. Make Victor and Yuuri proud psuedo parents." She said lamely. Her face was now pale, except for the splotches of pink and red on her cheeks and ears caused by the fever.

"You're clearly not fine!" Matthew exclaimed. "You nearly fainted! Let us take you to the hospital. You took care of me yesterday and so I'll take care of you. My time's nearly up anyways"

He got off the ice, still on his skates and tried to help her off of Helena.

"I mean..." he said. "Is that okay?"

Helena still looked miffed from being sat on but sighed. "Of course, let's go."

"Yeah!" chirped Bailey "It's the least we could do after you saved us yesterday."

Win felt figures surround her body. The feeling of being taken care of began to settle on to her chest, and she didn't know what to do with it. Additionally, she had not been this sick since she was a toddler, and the only people who took care of her were her brother and her foster father.

"I don't - I mean, thank you. The hospital won't be necessary. I think I caught a virus." Again, she was up on her feet. "You can take me back to my dorm, that'll be great. I live in Richards hall-second floor."

Helena frowned, "The second floor of Richards hall houses men?"

Win felt the heat in her body suffocate her, she ripped away her bomber jacket, then she explained, "I got my brother's old room as long as I could find another female in Winona State willing to live with me."

Bailey was intrigued, "And you actually did?"

Win pushed the door to the ice arena open, and then she stepped out into the nice cool air. "Mmhmm, I found the only woman desperate enough to live in a male dominated floor..."

Her pale face zoned in on Matthew. She grimaced. "You've met Fanny Kalipski, I think?" And went on, "Beauty queen looks, clingy, sounds like the late night sex call you wished you never had?"

She coughed and sniffled, then rolled her eyes at the memory of last night, "Well, even if you don't remember her, she certainly remembers you."

Last edited:
Matthew scrunched up his face trying to remember. "Bombshell blonde? Short cocktail dress? Tried to get in my pants?"

Helena nodded.

Matthews' face turned into one of extreme distaste Helena didn't think was possible. "Called me Mattie"

"She was only hanging off you like that because you were an Olympic athlete" Helena sniffed.

Bailey raised her eyebrows. Wasn't that the reason she and Helena were hanging around Matthew? Granted they weren't trying to get into his pants.

Matthew stood at the rink door before realizing he still had his skates on. "Go ahead. I'll get changed" he said, handing the giantess off to Bailey, who while tall, nearly crumpled under Win's height.

"He doesn't like being called Mattie?" Helena asked Bailey. "That's odd, considering the nicknames in skating. Yuzu, Javi..."

Bailey nodded and blushed. "I actually called him that for a year before I found out, but every time he's been called that he asked people to stop. But he's never said why. He'll tolerate Matt but likes being called Matthew for some reason. There are still lots of fans who still call him Mattie though."

Winfred was curious about the conversation surrounding this supposed nickname. She swore Alex Anderson had used this nickname in one of the messages he sent to her. Maybe it was a familial thing? She could understand then. She hated when anyone other that her brother and father called her Evangeline, since it was the name the hospital staff gave her the day she and Rhydian were found.

She was in a vehicle before she could properly focus on the fact that Helena and Bailey were avid Matthew supporters. Win had never been a fan of anything other that Sidney Crosby, and even then she knew nothing about the guy other than his ability to play.

Her head burned. She reached for her bag of medicine, popped 3 pills about the size of her pupils, and swallowed them without water.

Both Bailey and Helena sat in the car, looking absolutely baffled.

With breaths coming in slow, Win was uncomfortable enough to find this irritating. "What?! I have fast metabolism."

The two looked away innocently, muttering nothing and that's normal until the car was running.

-----------------------------------------

Upon arriving at Richard's Hall, a small commotion became apparent to the people inside the car.

Helena blinked, but she couldn't make out what was going on. Students were gathered around something, and they were creating a human wall, obstructing the path to the students' parking lot.

She honked her horn angrily, not at all pleased. Then realizing her road rage, she looked apologetically at Matthew (which caused Win to roll her eyes, she would have kept honking.) Finally, Bailey offered to check what was going on.

Helena took the opportunity to inquire, "What do you think it might be? I haven't seen these many people congregated in front of any hall since our star Quarterback was taped to a flag pole by..." She quieted when she realized that the individual in her mind was currently in the car. "Ah...anyway! Maybe it's a celebrity."

Winfred had a bad feeling in her stomach, a different one from her illness. "Anderson," She was used to calling men she wasn't close by their last names, but she scrunched her eyebrows when she felt it wrong, "I mean Matthew." She turned around in her seat. "None of your Olympic friends are coming to visit you today, right?"

Bailey's hands slammed against the windows of the car at this moment, out of breath from running. She opened the drivers side door forcefully, "Reporters! Big sports channels! I have know idea who they're looking for, but they're attracting a lot of attention!"

Matthew looked baffled. Yuuri or Victor was scheduled to arrive on Friday but even then they would be practicing in Minneapolis, not college town, Winona.

"No...." His voice trailed off.They couldn't possibly be here for him, could they?

"Maybe one of your friends got drafted?" He asked Winfred.

However as Bailey opened the car door, the reporters seemed to turn and run for the car.

"Don't," Matthew said, and he got out of the car to stop her but it was too late. Reporters surrounded him.

"Mr. Anderson, how do you feel about being assaulted "

"Who is the man who assaulted you, Mr. Anderson,"

"Ms. Wittinger, are you insinuating that track stars do not deserve recognition for their hard efforts and training?"

Bailey looked surprised that they knew her name but her expression turned to one of Fury.

"He had it coming," She snapped. Matthew groaned and covered his face with his hands "I deserve to defend my sport and my idol against a two-bit college athlete who thinks he's better than an Olympian simply because our sport relies more on artistry and precision than his"

Matthew intervened. "Hold on Bailey,"

"Mr. Anderson, how long have you known her?"

"Mr. Anderson, are you going to press charges?"

"Ms. Wittinger, if you stand by your words, why did you deactivate your social media?"

"I think yesterday's events are regrettable and we all had a little too much to drink." He said a bit louder, "I harbour no animosity and will not be pressing charges."

Winfred's fit, smooth and hourglass figure felt quite the opposite from that. Her body was heated to the core, bloated from whatever was making her sick, and now being assaulted by ridiculous reporters and their loud stupid questions. She was sweating a little now, even though Helena kept her vehicle cold.

She bit through her anger and irritation, but when the questions had finally pulled a reaction from Bailey, she snapped. She turned the handle to the side passenger door, and then kicked it violently open.

The reporters hadn't noticed the remaining people in the car, but when a tall woman with fierce green eyes, disheveled raven hair, and sweat between her breasts casted her shadow over Matthew Anderson and Bailey Wittinger, they noticed alright.

There was visible confusion at the sight, until a reporter with the keenest eyes pointed out, "You're the woman who pulled Mr. Elliot Vallis away from Mr. Anderson."

Excitement broke out, and suddenly questions were being deflected towards her.

"Are you Mr. Anderson's bodyguard?"

"How strong would you say you are, a little outside of the female norm?"

"Do all of Mr. Anderson's bodyguard handle a situation this way?"

Oh, simply wonderful.

Winfred had no patience for this. She scrunched up her nose and sniffed, and then she spat on the ground in the direction of the reporters. They backed away, visibly disgusted. "I'm not his bodyguard. I'm a hockey player..." She looked at Bailey, who shied away, "Aka one of those two-bit athletes that think they're better than an Olympian."

The reporters stirred, confused. A microphone was pushed into her face, "So, who are you to them exactly? This is the second time you've been seen with Matthew Anderson. Are you not hired to watch over him?"

"No."

"Then are you family?"

"No."

"Classmates?"

"No."

"Rivals?"

"No.

"Rinkmates."

She laughed at this, "Boy if you knew how we met."

The next reporter chimed in cautiously. "Lovers?"

The rest shook their heads and displayed the most obvious forms of disbelief. Win didn't bother with them any longer. She looked behind herself, where Helena, Matthew and Bailey remained. She flicked her thumb towards the dorms, gesturing for them to move.

She looked back at the reporters, who were waiting for her to answer. "I'm a hockey player, a friend of Matthew and Bailey...who can get a little testy, but I mean no harm. Anyway, I'm not the only one. Bailey is defensive, and things were said that weren't meant. If a couple of comments from a young woman can make some grown men on twitter cry, than they can't be called grown men, can they?"

"B-but, she made it clear that she doesn't respect --"

"What she doesn't respect is people harassing someone who clearly hasn't done anything wrong. Now if you excuse us, I'm sick, and you are all within the range of my sneezing."

A resounding gasp from the reporters, and a path was cleared.

Winfred ground her jaws together, and led the way.

Matthew thought Bailey would be grateful to Win for defending her but she clenched her jaws and crossed her arms but stayed silent.

Matthew and the two girls followed in Win's footsteps but it didn't stop a reporter from sticking another mike in his face

"Mr. Anderson, are you in a relationship with Claire Wu?"

Matthew groaned again. He got this question every competition. I wish he thought, but instead gave his regular reply "No. Claire is a friend. Please leave us alone!"

The three walked into the building, where thankfully the reporters didn't follow.

"Thanks," Matthew mumbled. "Sorry about that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back