• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Phones Don't Skate

EtherPillows

Stressed A-hole
RP%20222_zpsrkd0fikl.png

A chance encounter leads two strangers to switch phones and catch a glimpse into each others' lives...
ROMANCE
EtherPillows EtherPillows
CJWrites CJWrites

Three hamburger wrappers lie before the only clean surface within an 8 foot radius, marking the end of a most pitiful 3 day dietary streak. Only a sole piece of lettuce remains from Win’s earlier premeditated burger-slaughter. Now, dark eyebrows furrow as they fixate on a cloudy mirror, the only witness of the earlier happenings within 324A. The reflection revealed an unashamed, brutish, and young woman of 21. “Forget it, it’s training season anyway.” Win proceeded to slump away from the mess she had created, bumping her broad shoulders against her bed on accident. “Crap...”

Lanky black hair hid the sides of her face, that were tan and splotchy-red from the cold. She refused to shut the window though, as a sign of dominance over her roommate, Fanny, who adored the heat and was obsessed with California, despite being from Alaska…

Speaking of which, “Win, Carter just texted me. She says to get your ass to the courtyard, something about working on your hand jobs.” Fanny gave an insipid smile.

Winfred Tamford flicked her the finger, in the most lady like fashion, and bolted out of her room.

Last edited:
Matthew Anderson turned the key and leaned into the door, pushing it open and gazed into the darkness of his small new apartment just a short while from campus. He blew his short straw-blond hair out of his face and flipped the light switch.

It was way past lunch time but Matthew didn't care. He had gone without food before and two hours on a bus after a two-hour flight didn't do wonders for his stomach. He had no desire to grocery shop and cook and he didn't restaurant food to not break his diet.

He wheeled his suitcases, one of them clanked as medals bumped into one another. Matthew frowned. He obviously hadn't packed them tightly enough. He clutched his head. He was still a bit woozy from the bus ride and some fresh air would do some good.

This was such a small city! Then again, a Brooklyn kid would think of almost anywhere as a small city. Hell, even Toronto's Union Station felt empty compared to the hustle and bustle of Central Station. But Matthew needed it, he needed something new right now. He had hit this mental block he and the quiet tranquility of a small city might just do that. He found he couldn't concentrate in Toronto anymore. His coaches had understood, and he would make the trip to Minneapolis every other week to meet up with one of them to get feedback. Otherwise, he was on his own.

He stood back and took a picture of the historic view with his phone. Stopping for a while, he posted it to Twitter. He could already feel an oncoming headache as fans clamored for answers but for now, he tightened his scarf and kept walking.

“Hand pass, I said hand pass.” A jovial brunette reiterated, laughing at the fist her much taller friend rubbed against her head. Carter, along with the rest of Win’s hockey friends, didn’t mind the height difference, but that didn’t mean a 6 foot athletic female that carried herself like a man was a normal thing to her. Even now, Win’s appearance drove Carter to be careful with her words, or her friend would surely take it out on her – within the rink that is.

A drawn out ey, prompted Winfred to momentarily forget about her rink mate. “Tamford, we’re looking for a new D-man, wanna join?” A youth with no distinguishable features called out to Win, hollering.

Now, normally, if a man asked a woman if she would join a male team, the question would be more than a little offensive. But this was Win After Win Winfred, “Not this week, St. Cloud! I’ve got the rink on 7 to 12 with my favorite girl.” She tossed a hand over her friend.

“Gosh, stop, people are gonna think wrong.” Carter shrugged off the arm, bracing herself against the nearest light pole when Win hip bumped her. This St. Cloud person only guffawed, responding, “Don’t fight it, Carter!”

A tasteless joke, but one that was easily ignored by the two females. When both were sufficiently away from the dorms, Winfred noticed the look on Carter’s face. “What?” Win asked, face innocent.

“Would it kill you to be a little more...”

“We already had this discussion. The answer is yes, and you would also die, because obviously, my personality change is indicative of the apocalypse.”

“Whatever, let’s just pass by Cosmo’s before we head to the rink. I have to meet your brother and give him a huge kiss before his big winter track meet.”

“Nasty girl.”

“Shut up.”

After a brisk walk around town, he stopped at the blue heron coffee house and ordered a black coffee while he pulled out his laptop. Already replies were streaming into his tweet.

M @maskatesfan 41 min ago
Replying to @mattskates
Wait you left Toronto???

Bailey Wittinger @baileywit 20 min ago
Replying to @mattskates
OMG Is that Winona? Is MATTHEW ANDERSON IN MY HOMETOWN???

Claire Wu @baileywit 2 min ago
Replying to @mattskates
Glad to see you arrived safely! @AlexA92

Matthew didn't want to read any further. It was just a stupid crush, why was he so bothered? Instead, he navigated to the website of the arena he'd looked up earlier that day. In another tab, he opened his class schedule and tapped his fingers. The rink was free within the hour. Lucky! He had no classes in that timeslot either. Quickly, he booked it every weekday day through the month. He would have to find a and he already had a recommendation from his coach. It was the reason he came here after all.

He glanced at his watch. He could make it on time.

Win didn't exactly enjoy watching her older brother swap spit with her best friend. She decided that around the 4th time their saliva dribbled she would go on without her. The only reason she remained for so long was because of her brother's best friend, Elliot. Now, she was waiting outside of the only good rink in town.

She took out her phone. Unlocking it would reveal a beautiful filtered image of sunny blonde Elliot in the middle of his track tournament. The image wasn't her home screen, it was just there from earlier this morning. When she'd stalked his instagram.

Other things on her phone included several email subscriptions to Hockey and Co. , pictures of herself in new jerseys, emails from her foster father, Dean, and about a hundred different contacts. Which, she realized as she sat on the cold bench outside of the rink, she really should empty out.

It wasn't long before Matthew arrived at the rink and ran past the woman sitting on a bench in front into with his skates slung over his shoulder.

He supposed he should be joining a club instead, but he always had a fondness for public rinks. They reminded him of his childhood.

"Hi!" He approached the front desk. The lady, whose name tag said Amy, looked up a bit startled but nevertheless she turned her attention away from the binder she was scribbling on towards the computer. "You're right..." she muttered. "You're Matthew Anderson? Could I see some ID?"

Matthew handed over his New York driver's license and she handed it back after looking it over.

"Go ahead" She motioned but kept shooting nervous glances at the door.

But Matthew didn't notice. He was too excited to get started.

This was a new start, a new beginning, he thought as he plugged in his headphones. The majority of his music library consisted of numerous songs, both lyrical and instrumental, all under two minutes or around four. He still hadn't chosen his music yet, not even a theme. Heartache seemed to fit, but perhaps that was being too obvious.

He skated a couple of laps, then went through his figures a couple of times. He glanced around. Should he try it? Picking up speed, he dug his left toe pick into the ice, launching into the air and completing three turns before landing shakily on his right leg. He kept skating, glancing over his shoulders to make sure he didn't crash into the boards. Should he go for four? He hesitated, before deciding against it. It was dangerous to practice quads without a spotter. He felt a buzz in his pocket. He stopped and glided over resting and checking his phone.

Messenger
Claire
How's Winoa?
Alex
Isn't it Winaoa?
Me
It's Winona
Alex
Well, how is it?
Me
Old. Really old. And Small.
Alex
=O Having fun?
Me
I'm in the arena practicing. TTYL

He had numerous groups he was a part of to keep in touch with his coaches, his family, his rink mates and his competitors.

After further consideration, Win decided that she absolutely needed the numbers on her phone. She never knew when she would have to dig up old favors, besides, she enjoyed reminiscing. High school was good to her, girls still treated her like an individual, and guys....well guys were always scared of her - if they didn't absolutely love her skill.

One last run through her contacts and she tapped out, back to her home screen depicting Sidney Crosby. Her Lord and Savior. She flicked out her stylus to add a couple of more hearts to his face. This, of course, was a rouse. Her real crush would always be the manliest man of men she's ever known -

"Elliot says he can't come today. Sorry, Win" Carter let her kissed-red lips purse in dissatisfaction. Win hadn't noticed her arrival, but looked up at the mention of her brother's best friend. Carter continued, "But he invited you to this big Winona athlete's party. I'll text you the address later."

Both girls proceeded to go inside, but only Carter had the enthusiasm to say hello today. "A!!!!...me? Hello?? Where's Amy? I saw her on the desk two seconds ago."

Win pointed at the locker keys hanging just within her reach, "Bathroom, but she knows us. We won't take too long, just a couple of hand passes in the defense isn't going to hurt her career."

They were sporting skate's and jerseys before either of them could encounter Amy racing out of the bathroom and back to her station.

They did however encounter someone. It just wasn't Amy.

"Um...are we in ice skater territory?" Win skate's hadn't touched the ice before she was fully on guard.

"Win, I think that's a guy. Maybe he's a Russian"

Win rolled her eyes monumentally, "Or maybe you've been watching too much anime."

"Look, just look. He's so professional, tell me that isn't very russian."

"Very russian or not, this is our very American spot. I'm gonna say hi."

"Win, wait. Win, no!"

Winfred was already setting her bag down, next to the only other bag in the rink. She didn't know what Carter was worrying her pretty little blue eyes about. She was only going to give a friendly greeting.

"Hey, you!"

Matthew's background seemed to be a group selfie, taken at the banquet at the last World Championship. His home screen was one of Victor Nikiforov and Yuuri Katsuki, a remnant of his younger days. His mindless idolization of his idols had waned once they started coaching him, although he still admired them greatly.

He closed the Messenger app and navigated back to his music, choosing a particularly fast paced and striking one.

He skated around, trying out different moves. he was no choreographer but he always had a good idea of what he wanted. He was fully immersed, he gathered speed,

A sharp shout interrupted his music and broke Matthew's concentration. He went tumbling onto the ice ruining his otherwise perfect triple axel.

"Fuck" he swore under his breath and rubbing his shoulders. It would be better in a couple seconds. He knew how to fall.
"What?" He snapped, throwing his hands up beside him in a gesture alike to what's your problem. But nevertheless skated towards the person who had made that sound.

It was the woman who had been sitting outside the with her phone. Now that she was standing up, Matthew realized how tall she was. She had a good 2 inches on him.

"This is a private practice." He said shortly. He didn't want any youtube videos going up. He wanted to keep his, albeit nonexistent, routine a surprise.

If life were a nature show set inside the safari, this man would be like those graceful gazelles prancing about without a care. And Winfred hadn't finished her shout when she realized she had disturbed the natural order of things, like a poucher.

The gazelle went down.

"I can't believe you! The russian's angry now." Carter's smaller form hid behind her.

Winfred's green eyes narrowed. "Would you get off that, that was an American "Fuck" if I've ever heard one." Winfred had heard many.

He was before them in the blink of an eye. A good speed, Winfred noticed. He'd make a great defense if he wasn't so willowy.

"This is a private practice."

Woah.

Carter began sputtering apologies the moment she heard the tone on his voice, but given that neither of them new the current situation of the rinks availability, Winfred was not so quick to say sorry. She gestured at her jersey's and raised her hockey stick to her eyes.

"Private..." She tested the word in her mouth. "Fair enough dude, but we're here for some public training." She flicked her wrist and a hockey puck landed on her palm. "This is our spot before regionals, and it's not exactly ideal to have bystanders in a rink with flying pucks. You ever get a hematoma?"

Matthew crossed arms and his eyebrow rose. He didn't look impressed by their uniforms although he grew a bit more nervous at the last statement. Now that he was no longer skating, he didn't look out of the ordinary. Gone was the grace and beauty which characterized his routines.

"I booked it and I've got two hours left on my rink time. You'll have to wait or find somewhere else to practice. Are you threatening me?"

He spoke with a hint of a Brooklyn Accent, although it's been muted from his years in Toronto.

Win's eyes zoned onto his expression. She frowned deeply. He booked it?

So many years she's lived here, and she didn't even know she could book a rink.

His words brought her back to the current situation. "What, of course not. If I wanted to theaten you, I'd use the stick not the puck."

"Win, didn't you hear what he said? He booked the rink. We can't use it for regionals. Let's just come tomorrow." Carter urged, whispering her dissapointment. To the individual she apoligized , "Sorry, we really didn't mean to disturb you. Winfred isn't trying to -"

"How much, we can pay you." The taller of the two gnawed at her lip anxiously. Because she'd slacked in the fall, she really needed to make it up this winter. Each day counted "It's one day right... how much?"

Matthew gasped and he looked quite offended at the idea. "No. No you can't pay me to take my rink time. And you can't have it at this time tomorrow either, I've booked it throughout the month. Now if you will excuse me, you're not the only ones with competitions to practice for."

Matthew skated back towards the center of the rink, but found he was too furious to concentrate on his music and devise a routine. Frustrated, he dropped his phone into the player's bench and started practicing his figures, carving intricate patterns into the ice.

The reply sent a wave of disbelief through Winfred and Carter, but it was Winfred who felt devastation. "Carter...a month...I think I need to sit down."

Her smaller friend looked up, visibly upset. "What are we gonna do?"

Win shook her head. This was worse than when Fanny's boyfriend broke her favorite hockey stick. At least then she was able to retaliate by breaking his nose. But this man was in the right, and as Carter gingerly pushed Win towards the benches, Win couldn't help but look back at him. He was nowhere near as buff as Fanny's Nevada boyfriend ("because Nevada is close to California, that's why I date him," Fanny had told her once.) but he was ten times more imposing.

She hadn't realized for how long she watched him until her knees had touched the benches. Carter had slid her all the way, gloomily.

Winfred proceeded to take off her skates and grumble, "Stupid ice skaters...this is why....never went into ice skating...prissy..butt...our rink."

Carter lamented, "I'm gonna take a shower. I haven't even done anything, but I feel like this is the most sweat I've perspired all year."

"Take my bag, will you?" Win asked, occasionally directing her dark green eyes to the rink, glowering. "My phone should be near it."

Carter did as she was told, locating the only objects she could see. A cutesy phone. A random bag. She placed the former within the latter and zipped it up. Winfred was ready to go by the time she got back.

"Guess it's Frido's Ice and Dice this entire month if we can afford the entrance fees..." Carter's voice faded as they left the rink and headed for the lockers. Winfred shot a glance over her shoulder and frowned. Whatever, who did he think was anyway?

It wasn't long before Matthew calmed down and went back to half choreographing his routine and selecting a song. It wasn't long before he settled on one and felt satisfied with his training. He skated back over to the benches and frowned. Where was his phone? Instead he picked up and swiping it open, it revealed a home screen of Sidney Crosby. One of the hockey players must've taken his phone by mistake. How would they mistake for this phone for his sky blue and white one with a polar bear strap he didn't know.

The realization of what this meant sunk in. He was supposed to Skype his coaches tonight and had an appointment with that ballet instructor later this week. He had that information stored on his phone. He barely knew how to get home without Google Maps.

Maybe a better idea would have been to call his number in an attempt to catch the hockey player who had taken his phone but instead he raced home to lock his social media accounts. Who knows what they could do by accidentally posting to it.

Matthew's Gallery mostly consisted of selfies with friends or other skaters or pictures of locations and food to be posted on Twitter and Instagram. His twitter description was brief,

Matthew Anderson
@MattSkates
Just a guy who loves to skate, meet new people and travel around the world. #TeamUSA

Navigating to Claire's would reveal the caption

Claire Wu
@clairewules
World Champion, 6 time Canadian Champion and World Record holder for Free Skate Score

While Alex's was much briefer

Alex Anderson
@A_Anderson
Defenseman for Maple Leafs

He, in stark contrast to Matthew and Claire, had almost no tweets and didn't seem. Alex had just recently joined the Leafs, hence his move to Toronto, but he had barely played in any games so far.

Meanwhile, a couple message appeared on Matthew's phone

Alex: Dude you've been really distant... You sure you're ok with me dating Claire?

His coach had messaged him too,
Victor: Can we Skype in 30 min instead? Something came up.

By complete nightfall, Winfred was back at on her bed and slaughtering her sorrows with a cup of YooHoo and two portions of chilli cheese fries. A wonderful sight that was. Her sports bra had tiny flecks of food, her shoulder length hair was disheveled, and her shorts weren't fairing any better.

Fanny would freak when she came back tomorrow, but Win couldn't muster a unit meter of care to bother cleaning up.

She didn't want to practice at Frido's, which was a skating rink that doubled as a dungeons and dragons themed restaurant. (Why anyone would think of something like that? She didn't know!) The rink was packed with future doping scandals and 30 year olds who wanted to escape their wives in a game of DnD.

On top of that, Helena Shen would probably be there.

Pretty Helena Shen with her pretty porcelain chinese face and rouge lips and 100 percent more chances to get with Elliot than she did ---

A noise caught her attention.

Her long eyelashes flared apart as Win opened her eyes, zoning in on the bag on her floor.

That. That was not her messaging tone.

She unzipped her bag carefully.

What on earth was this montrosity?

Her hands dug into her bag urgently, tossing about clothes and other paraphernalia. Where was it?? Where was her jet black phone?? Her gift from Dean? Her one connection to highschool?? Her secret nude stash that doubled as others' nude stash (Mainly Carter Bentley's).

And who the hell where these people??

Win picked up the phone shakily. Upon the first sign of identification, located easily given that this man was a lot more photogenic than she was, Winfred freaked.

Figure skater boy.

The messages on this man's phone looked back at her mockingly, and then sinisterly when she realized one of these people wanted to see her face.

She panicked.

Me:
Nah, brah. S'cool, and I'm just busy doing what skaters do.

Me:
Can't right now, skating.
-----
Winfred sighed in relief, completely unaware that her phone had about as many security means as a bugged early version of Limewire.

Carter B: This is the address to Elliot's shin dig, 4567 Yeridoa Drive. It's a huge house.

A couple of seconds later.

Carter B: Y, know what? Amma just pick you up, I don't trust your driving. See you tomorrow around 8, where something pretty *snort*

Shortly after, an email.

Dean Tamford:
Winny, we need to talk. You can't keep avoiding the subject and I'm getting too damn old for these emails. I'm having your older brother meet you tomorrow around 8, be ready.

Alex raised his eyebrows.

"Since when has Mattie called me bro?"

He showed his phone screen to Claire, who took a break from taking turns glaring at her bland turkey sandwich and Alex's second bowl of ramen. She had overindulged the month after her win at Worlds and had been paying for it ever since.

She shrugged. "Or used the abbreviation s'cool. That doesn't sound like him at all."

For years, Claire wondered if boys had crushes on her. Well, that was a stupid question. She had plenty of admirers, but someone who viewed her more than a pretty figure on the ice. It wasn't until Alex had come along and confessed his own feelings that she began to think about relationships. Matthew had seemed happy, but Claire could tell something was off from the beginning but Alex was only now beginning to catch on. She didn't want to date anyone if it meant losing a good friend.

Alex frowned at his phone.

Alex: Are you ok? You sound weird

--

Matthew leaned back against the wall. He had finally found his way home and disabled his twitter, facebook, and Instagram. He bit his lip wondering where his phone was and if perhaps he had lost it forever. Maybe he could find a sponsorship with Samsung or some other phone company.

4567 Yeridoa Drive.

It looked like the owner of this phone was going to be there and from the email following it, he needed his phone and fast. Matthew grabbed his wallet and headed out towards the address, bringing his laptop in his backpack just in case.

In bed, believing she had averted a crisis, Win silently examined the phone before her. She twirled the polar bear strap between her fingers and rested her index on the white and blue sides. She was surprised at how unlike hers it was, and how unlike what she pictures a serious guy like him would have.

His phone was smooth where hers was chipped from throwing it about. Her phone had no decorations where there should be. Her teeth marks did line the sides of her cover, where this phone was smooth, refined and cutesy. Kinda like his owner.

A shrill messaging tone caused Win to let the phone fall and land on her face. Quickly, she checked his screen and was alarmed at the preview for the message.

Alex: Are you ok? You sound weird.

Crap, had she blown it? This time she wasn't so hasty in replying. She tried to picture the face of the man she met at the rink, serious and indignant, though the latter had been towards her.

Me: Yes. I'm just a little drowsy. You were saying about Claire?

Here Win paused and didn't send. Whoevery Claire was, this Alex was clearly dating. And this Skater man...maybe didn't mind? He seemed too snappy for a relationship. Winfred ran her tongue over her lips in thought. Then she retracted.

Me: Yes. I'm just a little drowsy. Claire and I are friends. Just one girl in a world with about 46.9 percent of them. Please, drop the topic.

When Win was satisfied with the amount of snap in her message, she sent it.
-------

At 4567 Yeridoa, Rhydian Tamford was not having a good time. His best friend Elliot was too plastered to help prepare for the shindig tomorrow, his father insisted that he and his little sister meet with him on the same night as the party, and on top of that, there was a strange guy stalking outside of the house.

Like all Tamfords, Rhydian was tall and mascular and...imposing. "Can I help you?" He wore a stern expression. Dark eyebrows pierced the individual who had just arrived. "The party isn't until tomorrow."

Alex frowned. "Yeah.... this isn't Mattie"

Claire and Matthew had been more than friends. They'd been best friends. So close some speculated they were secretly dating.

"Think he was hacked?" Claire checked her social media. No... no indication of being hacked there. That was really weird. "Maybe he made a friend who's messing with him?"

But on his first day? And someone who was douchey enough to impersonate him with their phone. Claire, Alex or his coaches usually had to drag him outside to be social. No Matthew probably spent his entire first day skating and moving in alone.

"Oh yeah!" Alex's eyes lit up. He started typing. "Hey Jerk! Get off Mattie's phone" he muttered while entering it into his phone.

Claire bit her lip. "Maybe you should just play along"

"Why?" Alex looked befuddled.

"Well... what if it is Matthew and he's just playing a prank or this is his way of dealing. Ask him about his new apartment instead"

Alex frowned.

Alex: OK! How's Winona?

Meanwhile, another text popped up on Matthew's phone

Victor: Tell us when you have time. You need to give Victor time to choreograph your program. Tomorrow at the latest, please. - Yuuri

--

Matthew glanced around nervously, fidgeting with the phone's case. He didn't look like much, as short and lanky as he was. This guy looked like he could snap the figure skater like a twig.

"Umm... I'm trying to find the owner of this phone? I think he took mine by mistake."

He tried to show the battered black phone to the man.

"Someone texted this address to it"

Snap. Snap. Snap.

"
Woah..much better camera."

Pictures of old wrappers, discarded clothing, and small tidbits of Fanny's side of the dorm all appeared on the camera after every click Winny made. Honestly, she really should go to sleep and ...

She really should give this phone back.

Tomorrow, she would go to classes and then leave for Carter's dorm. She could drive them both to the rink and return --

The rink.

As far as ambitions and goals went, that rink was Winfred's everything. She wasn't very bright in school, not in the subjects she didn't like anyway. She had a hard time enjoying college and an even harder time dealing with her financial aid. She knew exactly who was going to take the brunt of the burden when she graduated - her father Dean.

She looked at the phone again, a message had appeared.

She smiled at this one. How's Winona?

Winona was home. Yeah, filled with its fair share of assholes and wannabe pro athletes (like her). But it was good about nurturing. She said her first words here, got her first forever home, beat up a kid who called her ugly, and then kissed him in the third grade, only to beat him again in middle school.

Anyway, Winona is a home for people who want to learn. Not just academically, duh.

What she responded though was:

Me: I like it. I could book a rink for an entire month.

Which he had. A little snark on Winfred's part, but she smiled since it wouldn't harm anyone. Out of habit, she bit the corners of the phone in her hand. Maybe she would keep this one.

Another message.

Oh my. This sounded important.

Me: Yes, of couse. How about tomorrow?

Yes, good plan. She could up with something better. Like a made up terminal illness.
-----

Rhydian's large hand encompassed the phone and his eyebrows raised when he saw his girlfriend's name and then his father's.

He smirked, "...that's why you didn't respond." To this new stranger he said, "Not a he, though I can understand how you would make the mistake. This phone is my sister's, Winny."

He opened the doors to the frat house Elliot rented, "Tell you what, it's late. You're welcome to use one of the guest rooms. If I know my girlfriend, she'll drag Winfred here by the ears. She'll be here tomorrow."

Before he could get any further though, a young, pretty and very exuberant woman of Asian descent blocked their path.

"Y-y-your M-m-ma"

Rhydian frowned, "What's up with you, Helena?

"Oh my god, you're Matthew Anderson!"

Last edited:
Alex: LOL! Dude you do that in the Six too. And back in Brooklyn. Still dunno why you went into this tiny place in the middle of nowhere.... Well not straight. Bring it to the group chat. Claire's been peeking in.

And in the group chat:

Claire: Found any rinkmates you can share the cost of booking with? Is it hard? I know you love to keep your routines secret until they debut.

---

"Thank you, that would be much appreciated," Matthew said gratefully, his face splitting into a smile. If anything people here were much nicer and accommodating than in the big city. He really didn't look forward to going back home. Did buses even run this late in this part of the country? He supposed he would have to somehow procure a car. He wondered how long he would have to wait. His classes started the day after tomorrow and he really wanted to find his classrooms before heading to class. Before he could worry further, something interrupted him.

It wasn't often he was recognized, although it wasn't uncommon either. Although he often had to sit by while Claire took selfie after selfie with people who recognized her. Unlike Claire, he wasn't a household name but while he had a dedicated fanbase, he didn't have rabid fangirls like the ones his Japanese competitors had to deal with. He barely makes the world roster every year and hasn't medaled at a major international competition since his Junior Days. Nevertheless, he never grew accustomed to the spotlight off the ice, always disappearing from reporters and magazine hounds. He usually hoped nobody would recoignize him.

It looked like Matthew shrunk another couple inches and he glanced at his feet. He scratched the back of his head, decidedly uncomfortable "Umm.... Yeah. I am."

"Victor...Yuuri." She was more than a little sleepy, but her hands still took her to Google. She was curious about the professional person she'd messaged earlier.

A single search later and she jumped out of her comforters. "Holy shit, bigshots!"

She whistled low. What kind of a casual skater had people like this around them? She thought about what that person had said before.

"Private practice." Mm, sounds about right.

She wasn't allowed to dwell on it for long. More messages lit the phone onto her tired eyes.

A wild Claire had appeared, and apparently they were all incredibly familiar. Winfred settled back on to her bed sheets and contemplated what she would say, but it was the mental exertion that eventually subdued her. Her eyelashes flutered, and her fingers swipped aimlessly.

A picture of her sleeping soundlessly appeared in the chat.

------------

Rhydian looked back at the shorter male and an eyebrow went up inquisitively. This Matthew guy resembled a cornered deer, or him when Winfred had asked him where babies came from.

And just like when that happened, Rhydian looked at Helena and replied like his father had, "We'll talk about that later." He shoved a box of red plastic cups aside. "Come in, there's a master bedroom on each floor. Huge white doors up the stairs, can't miss it."

Helena Shen stared back at them. Doe eyes gleaming with awe. The door had already closed on her when she called, "Can I at least have a selfie!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuuri_Katsuki
Yuuri Katsuki (勝生 勇利, Katsuki Yūri, born November 29, 1982) is a former Japanese Figure Skater, 2006 Olympic Silver Medalist, two-time World Champion (2005, 2007), 2006 Grand Prix Champion, and five-time Japanese National Champion (2000, 2002, 2004-2006).

Katsuki is the only skater to attempt six quads in competition and his rivalry with Yuri Plisetsky has been dubbed the Battle of the Yuris. Katsuki is married to five-time World Champion, three-time Olympic Medalist Victor Nikiforov. Together they coached Claire Wu to the 2017 World Championship Gold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Anderson
Matthew Anderson (born December 15, 1993) is an American figure skater. He is a two-time National Champion (2013, 2015)

Brown is also a two-time World Junior medalist (2013 silver, 2012 bronze), the 2011 JGP Final champion, and the 2010 U.S. national junior champion. He is being coached by Yuuri Katsuki and Victor Nikiforov.

--

Alex and Claire's mouth dropped.

"I guess we shouldn't be worried." She muttered. She guessed that explained it. Matthew had obviously picked someone up who was now messing with his phone. That was NOT like the Matthew she knew. The Matthew she knew had to be dragged out to socialize with other skaters and often left early.

Apparently, Alex was a lot more oblivious than her

Alex: Dude! Who are you and what are you doing with my brother's phone.

--

Matthew smiled at her as he stepped in the door. He held out his hand for her to shake.

"Sure." He said softly once he got over his initial discomfort. "Do you go Winona State? If so you might see me around."

Winfred awoke to a blue and white phone plastered onto her face. She snorted at herself, realizing she'd fallen asleep while messing with it.

Smacking her dry lips, she checked the time on her nightstand.

"Fuck!"

Because she usually awoke to the sound of her phone blaring rock music, Win had not woken up. She missed a whole class and was going to be late for the next one.

She reached for the phone and planned on calling Carter when she caught an eyeful of the message from that Alex fellow.

"Aw shit. Shit shit shit." She clicked on the chat.

A wave of air infiltrated her lungs as she gasped. Her face was the last message she had posted.

She bit her lip. Forget it, she'd just return the phone, and that skater guy could explain. Right?

-----------

Rhydian watched them take a selfie and didn't intervene. Helena answered politely and appreciatively: She did, and that most people attended Winona State. She gave him her number, unaware that his phone was in the hands of a sleeping giantess.

After awhile, Helena excused herself, expressing her hope that they would meet again at the party tomorrow. Rhydian stayed back to remind him that he was welcome to go upstairs and sleep, but then he too left to sleep.

Last edited:
Helena looked absolutely giddy as they took a picture together and she invited him to the party. Matthew pursed his lips as if to say 'I'll think about it' but he probably wouldn't go. He hated being around too many people.

Matthew took the piece of paper she handed him and tucked it into his pocket. It might come in handy.

Matthew smiled and waved as Helena departed and turned to the man who looked so much like the lady at the rink today. "Thank you so much."

As he left, Matthew realized he didn't know his name. Nevertheless, he headed up the stairs and into the giant white doors. The irregularly shaped room was decorated with posters of athletes, musicians, and sports banners. There was a whiff of slightly stale beer which a thorough cleaning couldn't get out.

Matthew dumped his backpack on the floor and sighed as he sunk into the mattress. It just occurred to him he hadn't tried to call his phone yet. How could he be this stupid?

He dialed his own number from memory and held the phone up to his ear. Busy. How strange.

--

Just then Matthew's phone rang.Whether picking it up or letting it go to voicemail Win would be greeted by a whiny voice with a Russian accent

"Maaaattttthhhheeewwwww..... how come you haven't answered! Are you ignoring your coach! Are you cheating on your diet and won't tell us? Are you- Wait hold on, Yuuri!"

Scuffling noise could be heard as Yuuri apparently wrestled the phone from Victor's hands. A voice with a Japanese accent, lot more subtle than the Russian one, came on.

"Sorry Matthew, but really you should call us back. It's not like you not to check in. We are getting worried and we need to discuss program and training details"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back