Patience vs Proactiveness

WanderingJester

Cool shuppy waddling away from explosions
Hey there! I'm Jester, and I've recently had this dilemma and thought this might be a good discussion topic, since it'll be cool not only to share advice but also stories of this time period which I think many people who RP experiences. Since I've joined RPN I've joined a few interesting looking RPs, others which became surprisingly good while others just had great ideas. However, they usually never start, go at a much slower pace than I would've liked and/or die due to some real life circumstances.

Now, RL is what it is, and I can accept that life interferes with the best RPs. However, as this happened over time I found an urge to just say "screw it, I'll make my own RP!" (with blackjack! And hookers!), but opposite of that is a hope that those ideas and RPs I signed up with will start (again) or pick up soon.

So, I guess I wanted to ask: what about you? Where do you draw the line between waiting patiently and being proactive and doing something like starting your own RP? Has this happened to you before? Care to share your experiences?

Looking forward to hearing from some other people, have a great day everyone! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
My action on this depends on two things.

The first is how available I am. If you start your own rp you can't (or shouldn't) back off. But then, people can ask you at anytime to join so things will get real sticky if you don't have the proper time on your hands. However, joining an is ia different. The process of looking for one itself is one you can stop midways and don't have to go around giving explanations. In group rps, if you're running it, odds are you make a move that will your character at a safe distance while you're away.

The second thing I look into is how different is my idea from what is already out there. Is that difference really worth it? And if it is, can I do it with just one character or a couple characters? If the answer to the first question is no or the one to the second question is yes, then doing a new rp is just taking potential players away from another rp, in the best case scenario. However, if you have sufficient difference and time to keep it going, then it's worth it to start your own rp.

@Idea That's pretty sweet, thanks for sharing (^.^)

In regards to the questions you ask, I'll like to post another one for you: Supposed you found an idea you enjoyed, but the idea/RP either haven't started or updated for a while (to the point where you may or may not consider the idea "dead"), at what time do you considered, "hey I don't have to worry about stealing players from that since it's not starting and/or going at a such a slow pace that there has to be a demographics looking for a faster paced RP of similar sort" even if your idea's similar as well?

WanderingJester said:
@Idea That's pretty sweet, thanks for sharing (^.^)
In regards to the questions you ask, I'll like to post another one for you: Supposed you found an idea you enjoyed, but the idea/RP either haven't started or updated for a while (to the point where you may or may not consider the idea "dead"), at what time do you considered, "hey I don't have to worry about stealing players from that since it's not starting and/or going at a such a slow pace that there has to be a demographics looking for a faster paced RP of similar sort" even if your idea's similar as well?
Glad you liked it.

Well, I do consider a large difference in the time of the rp's creation to be a sufficient difference. So, if an to has been going for like two months or something, you probably aren't taking anyone away from the RP. However, if you do it within a span of days, chances are either people won't join for the same reasons they didn't join the other one, or they join yours and thus not the other, because (most likely) they saw yours first or the visual appeal of yours was better. However, that is very dangerous for both rps. Not a month ago, I believe, there were three dragon rps going at once. (group). As expected, players had to go for one or the other. The result? Neither has launched yet and they were all in need for players. They died.

And as for the pacing matter, that is somethin very hard to control with just making a different thread. If it is possible to change the pace, then that is not something that should require moving to a new thread. Rather, it is something that you should accomplish by increasing pace with your own posts.

This happens disturbingly frequently to me. Unfortunately, more recently I've been the one to not be able to keep up (due to medical reasons) but I find if I create the RP I'm much more invested in it. I've been making RPs for...years, as it's very rare that I find someone whose concept really grabs me (I suppose it's the nature of being a creative person professionally, you tend to be a bit arrogant and think your ideas are the best when they're not always).

I began making RPs as a way to explore characters I wanted to put in stories, or just to use for plot concepts that would not work as novels (due to the concepts either being half-cocked or a fandom thing). However, I second Idea's statement on the time needed to run an RP. I see RPs as tiny virtual gatherings between people who may be very similar. You have to be ready and willing to be there for your players almost constantly. The best policy I've come across is to have a friend who's also in the RP and appoint them as a second in command, so if you have to take a leave of absence for any reason they can step up.

Being a Threadmaster (no idea if that's still a term used) is a lot like being a Dungeon Master in a tabletop game where the players can be there at any point of the day or night but the lag time between actions can be hours or days. You must be there to make sure everything's going all right (in case something nasty breaks out between two players or someone takes the RP WAY off the rails) but you also have to not be afraid of standing up to your players. Even the best RPs die because a Threadmaster was too scared of hurting a friendship to say "Actually, your dragon can't suddenly morph into a sandwich. Sandwich is not a valid race." (ridiculous example, but I'm sure you've seen stranger in RPs). You also need to be able to find a way to continue the RP even if the only people involved are yourself and two players. Even yourself and one player!

Honestly, I don't have an issue with seeing multiple threads with similar ideas. I don't like starting one with a similar idea for the reason above, but a lot of times the reason multiple ideas are started is because the threadmasters either each think their ideas are original enough, they feel that a pre-existing RP with a similar idea is too far along or crowded, or they don't like the direction the signed up characters are going in pre-existing RPs. At the same time, this same thing happens in pretty much every media area due to societal, cultural, and historical shifts that change the pictures in the imagination of society as a whole. It's no surprise the same thing happens in RP.

In conclusion, sorry for the text wall, but in my experience creating RPs is a much more enjoyable experience (and more manageable (if one has the time)) than joining them. There's something to be said for being able to lead a group strangers on an online message board through an adventure of your choosing. Not everyone has that ability. You won't know until you try, though. Also, if you're using someone else's idea... it's always a nice idea to give mention to that, not mandatory, you won't get slapped for not doing it, but it's always a nice thing to do.

@folclor Text walls are fine, just appreciate the input ^_^ .

I've only ran one RP but I've had to put my foot down on several occasion so I understand the necessity of that. Just wish I knew appointing a second GM in order to get some pressure off of myself (the RP ran fast and after a while I just got burnt out creatively). I also agree that it's a common phenomenon in different media to have multiple things going on at the same time that are similar (or even nearly identical), but I would personally try to put my own spin on things that's not done in any open and existing RP, even if it's in the same setting or otherwise.

folclor said:
This happens disturbingly frequently to me. Unfortunately, more recently I've been the one to not be able to keep up (due to medical reasons) but I find if I create the RP I'm much more invested in it. I've been making RPs for...years, as it's very rare that I find someone whose concept really grabs me (I suppose it's the nature of being a creative person professionally, you tend to be a bit arrogant and think your ideas are the best when they're not always).
I began making RPs as a way to explore characters I wanted to put in stories, or just to use for plot concepts that would not work as novels (due to the concepts either being half-cocked or a fandom thing). However, I second Idea's statement on the time needed to run an RP. I see RPs as tiny virtual gatherings between people who may be very similar. You have to be ready and willing to be there for your players almost constantly. The best policy I've come across is to have a friend who's also in the RP and appoint them as a second in command, so if you have to take a leave of absence for any reason they can step up.

Being a Threadmaster (no idea if that's still a term used) is a lot like being a Dungeon Master in a tabletop game where the players can be there at any point of the day or night but the lag time between actions can be hours or days. You must be there to make sure everything's going all right (in case something nasty breaks out between two players or someone takes the RP WAY off the rails) but you also have to not be afraid of standing up to your players. Even the best RPs die because a Threadmaster was too scared of hurting a friendship to say "Actually, your dragon can't suddenly morph into a sandwich. Sandwich is not a valid race." (ridiculous example, but I'm sure you've seen stranger in RPs). You also need to be able to find a way to continue the RP even if the only people involved are yourself and two players. Even yourself and one player!

Honestly, I don't have an issue with seeing multiple threads with similar ideas. I don't like starting one with a similar idea for the reason above, but a lot of times the reason multiple ideas are started is because the threadmasters either each think their ideas are original enough, they feel that a pre-existing RP with a similar idea is too far along or crowded, or they don't like the direction the signed up characters are going in pre-existing RPs. At the same time, this same thing happens in pretty much every media area due to societal, cultural, and historical shifts that change the pictures in the imagination of society as a whole. It's no surprise the same thing happens in RP.

In conclusion, sorry for the text wall, but in my experience creating RPs is a much more enjoyable experience (and more manageable (if one has the time)) than joining them. There's something to be said for being able to lead a group strangers on an online message board through an adventure of your choosing. Not everyone has that ability. You won't know until you try, though. Also, if you're using someone else's idea... it's always a nice idea to give mention to that, not mandatory, you won't get slapped for not doing it, but it's always a nice thing to do.
While I agree that you do get more room for your own ideas to create a thread, and am not doubting that your experience may favor creating a thread, but I don't think it really works as a rule of thumb, as two things were, while not excluded, given very little consideration , it seems.

The first is the sheer amount of work and the pressure of owning the rp. As a GM, you're expected to manage an rp, keeping ut intersting and balanced, while also trying to respect everyone's freedom as much as possible and have them be pleased, but estabilishing a boundary that determines whether or not they have crossed the line. Owning a thread is walking on thin ice, always. The experience is likely to be amazing if you succeed, but I do think you shouldn't favor it without considering the risks and whether or not it is worth to take them.

The second thing is on that topic. Often people forget that even if ideas are different they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Sometimes, the difference from the general concept to your idea is actually a gap that can be crossed with a character. Or you can just talk to whoever is running the thread and suggest your idea as an event to keep the thread spicy. If either of these is spciy, making a new thread on a whim is gonna be harmful for both threads, not to mention everyone else involved in them. One thread will loose a very interesting character or event and possibly some rpers. The other will loose momentum, rpers and part of the community aspect of rping.

Idea said:
While I agree that you do get more room for your own ideas to create a thread, and am not doubting that your experience may favor creating a thread, but I don't think it really works as a rule of thumb, as two things were, while not excluded, given very little consideration , it seems.
The first is the sheer amount of work and the pressure of owning the rp. As a GM, you're expected to manage an rp, keeping ut intersting and balanced, while also trying to respect everyone's freedom as much as possible and have them be pleased, but estabilishing a boundary that determines whether or not they have crossed the line. Owning a thread is walking on thin ice, always. The experience is likely to be amazing if you succeed, but I do think you shouldn't favor it without considering the risks and whether or not it is worth to take them.

The second thing is on that topic. Often people forget that even if ideas are different they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Sometimes, the difference from the general concept to your idea is actually a gap that can be crossed with a character. Or you can just talk to whoever is running the thread and suggest your idea as an event to keep the thread spicy. If either of these is spciy, making a new thread on a whim is gonna be harmful for both threads, not to mention everyone else involved in them. One thread will loose a very interesting character or event and possibly some rpers. The other will loose momentum, rpers and part of the community aspect of rping.
You make a lot of good points. Obviously, as someone who routinely creates her own threads, I'd be quite sad if no one joined. That being said, there are some ideas that ARE mutually exclusive, even if they seem similar. Beyond that, I agree it's difficult to run a thread, especially if you're just starting out or don't know what you're doing. I've made many threads, most of them disasters because I was too inexperienced. But, unlike a game of D&D, it's not up to only the threadmaster to make things up in the world. Creating conflict is the job of everyone, as is resolving conflicts.

folclor said:
You make a lot of good points. Obviously, as someone who routinely creates her own threads, I'd be quite sad if no one joined. That being said, there are some ideas that ARE mutually exclusive, even if they seem similar. Beyond that, I agree it's difficult to run a thread, especially if you're just starting out or don't know what you're doing. I've made many threads, most of them disasters because I was too inexperienced. But, unlike a game of D&D, it's not up to only the threadmaster to make things up in the world. Creating conflict is the job of everyone, as is resolving conflicts.
I agree. However, I do still think that there is a certain narrow-mindness on this topic far more common than it's opposite. More often than not, people will try to get THIS idea or THAT plot and refuse to make even a minimal compromise (and even that usually doesn't go further than changing the name for this or that) and end up creating 30 different threads, all dying or not even getting off the ground in the first place.

I completely agree! as a threadmaster one must be flexible, so must the players be. Unfortunately, we live in a world where that doesn't work =/ Oh well. At least there are cookies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back