Humor Out of touch

Jannah

Barely holding on.
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I must be old. Either that or really out of touch with current pop culture trends. Half the time when I see people looking for fandom RPs on here it's for stuff I've never even heard of. I have no idea what people are into these days really so must be that, lol. I remember back in the day when it was mostly Pokemon, Harry Potter, Twilight, etc. that people wanted to RP.

I hear you. Kind of feel the same way when I walk into any nerdy store and it's just funko pops everywhere. Man, I hate funko pops (nothing against people who enjoy them, but damn, you can hardly tell who the character is supposed to be).

But in the end, it's good that there's new stuff coming up that gets people excited. It would honestly be kind of sad if nothing new showed up since the LotR and Harry Potter days. And there's plenty of people who still rp the oldies but goldies. :)

RPN is mostly frequented by people who have a degree of difficulty in regular social environments/life. Common trends would, therefore, not necessarily if at all correspond to their trends.

The internet's capability to provide a never-ending supply of content on just about any topic you want, as well as the fact that it allows you to bypass the visualization of unrelated content to it means people overall become more closely attached to their own "bubbles" or smaller communities, and not necessarily coming into contact with what's beyond that.

Combining these facts, more than keeping up with trends there is a big influx of many different trends and communities in modern pop culture, and a complex web of relations and word of mouth unlike pre-internet-age methods.

I hear you. Kind of feel the same way when I walk into any nerdy store and it's just funko pops everywhere. Man, I hate funko pops (nothing against people who enjoy them, but damn, you can hardly tell who the character is supposed to be).

But in the end, it's good that there's new stuff coming up that gets people excited. It would honestly be kind of sad if nothing new showed up since the LotR and Harry Potter days. And there's plenty of people who still rp the oldies but goldies. :)

Maybe I'm just old fashioned because there's only a few fandom universes I actually enjoy RPing in and even then strictly with OC's only.

Oh for sure, I haven't even heard of some of the hottest fandoms today. I've found myself gravitating towards more and more original rps over the years; the fandoms I rp are fandoms I rp'd way back when and haven't really changed at all.

Oh for sure, I haven't even heard of some of the hottest fandoms today. I've found myself gravitating towards more and more original rps over the years; the fandoms I rp are fandoms I rp'd way back when and haven't really changed at all.

Most of the fandoms I'd want to RP, outside of the popular ones such as Harry Potter and Hunger Games, are pretty obscure in the RP world I think.

I'm mostly into some rare niche fandoms, or some that are way past their prime since I was late to the party so every time I venture into interest checks I have no clue what people are looking for.
Well, if it's anime or games I at least stay on top of news and recognize the titles even if I haven't watched or played myself. But when it comes to recent movies or series, or Kpop or youtubers I'm like "nope nope nope what are all these words? I have no clue..."

While it certainly has something to do with the fact that I'm more familiar with a certain area of interests than others but I'm struggling even with that when it's about recent stuff.

And memes.... memes are popular but every time someone sends me a meme expecting a reaction my reaction is usually is "....and? So what?" Bonus points if it's a meme related to some Marvel movies because apparently everyone expects everyone to watch all of them and I've only seen one I believe.

So I can certainly relate about being out of touch with some pop culture things.

Maybe I'm just picky and have niche interests in terms of RP, but for a site this large it's surprisingly difficult for me to find RP's. It seems every time I find something I'm interested in the person either wants canon characters, MxM, or furries. I'm not really into any of those :/. Fortunately I've managed to find a few RP's that seem to still be going, albeit slowly.

Maybe I'm just picky and have niche interests in terms of RP, but for a site this large it's surprisingly difficult for me to find RP's. It seems every time I find something I'm interested in the person either wants canon characters, MxM, or furries. I'm not really into any of those :/. Fortunately I've managed to find a few RP's that seem to still be going, albeit slowly.
You have me a bit curious as to what you are interested in, do you have a request thread?

You have me a bit curious as to what you are interested in, do you have a request thread?

Historical RPs mostly, and often time set in obscure eras/events that people don't usually RP. I rarely do the popular stuff like Ancient Greece, Medieval England, Wild West, etc. I do also do dystopian, but it's usually a lot of work to come up with a universe and plot for that. For fantasy I prefer the more modern/low fantasy type stuff usually.

Fandoms I don't even dabble in at all unless it's strictly OC's. I also don't follow pop culture very closely so most of my preferred fandom settings are older ones like Harry Potter and Hunger Games.

Historical RPs mostly, and often time set in obscure eras/events that people don't usually RP. I rarely do the popular stuff like Ancient Greece, Medieval England, Wild West, etc. I do also do dystopian, but it's usually a lot of work to come up with a universe and plot for that. For fantasy I prefer the more modern/low fantasy type stuff usually.

Fandoms I don't even dabble in at all unless it's strictly OC's. I also don't follow pop culture very closely so most of my preferred fandom settings are older ones like Harry Potter and Hunger Games.
I see. Well, I will be sending a PM your way soon if you might still be looking for partners.

It's confirmed. I think I'm just picky. I'm increasingly feeling like I don't really fit into this RP community that well. It seems every time I go to start a RP it dies within a few posts too. I'm usually pretty okay with being ghosted too, but to ditch me before you even post? Wow.

I might just be pissy today too, idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back