OOC - Private Chambers

Sorry guys. I lost my login access and just got things reset. I am back but will need a day or two to get things caught up.

I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next here. There's clearly intrigue going on between these Clans, Crane and Lion and apparently at least one Minor House. Not super-sure how one usually gets into that (and if getting into it gets you killed or not). I'm not an experienced L5R player so I could use some advice on how a Scorpion Shugenja samurai would typically approach things.

Just noticing at this point the game's been stalled for over 2 weeks so, in the interest of not being responsible for its death, I'm asking for suggestions so I can help keep it moving. :)

There's no clear cut way to approach it. Generally speaking, confronting them directly isn't usually the best approach. You could either approach each person discreetly, and try to weasel more information from them, or try to find sources of information close to them.

It might not up your character's alley, but Scorpion are generally regarded as underhanded, and some have been known to use blackmail, and other unsavory methods to gain info,

While I'm quite far from being a rumour chasing scorpion shukenga.. I'll throw my two cents into the pool: fitst.. remember the scorpion legacy and ways.. if you can do anything underhanded to find out more or make someone tell you.. do it. Then, it might come in handy to report your findings, such as they may be, to your family. Even if something seems unimportant to you, it might be crucial for the family.. and telling things to high placed scorpions.. well, you never really know what havoc that will create.. til you find out, that is.. but it's likely to work out in your favor.. your lead after all.

Some things to try are talking to servants.. they often hear things they aren't supposed to. Another is to follow characters outside the royal palace.. see who they talk to and where they go.. bribing/intimidating those contacts might be useful.. remember, you are Samurai.. normal people are afraid of you.

I'm kinda at a loss of what to do next here. There's clearly intrigue going on between these Clans, Crane and Lion and apparently at least one Minor House. Not super-sure how one usually gets into that (and if getting into it gets you killed or not). I'm not an experienced L5R player so I could use some advice on how a Scorpion Shugenja samurai would typically approach things.

Just noticing at this point the game's been stalled for over 2 weeks so, in the interest of not being responsible for its death, I'm asking for suggestions so I can help keep it moving. :)

Appreciate the suggestions, both of you Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws and S Stepper so thank you. Here's my impression of the game so hopefully folks can correct me if I've drawn the wrong conclusion.

Scorpions are generally regarded as underhanded...which on the surface makes it really hard to just strike up a discreet conversation. Blackmail requires having blackmail in the first place; my character just arrived a couple of weeks ago at the most I think? She barely knows anyone much less knows anything unsavory on them. The other bit being that Nikako is less underhanded than most Scorpions. Which is to say, she's perfectly fine with stabbing someone in the back and twisting the knife. But she does it when it's necessary, not generally as the first option.

The servants route seems interesting. And were this D&D, I'd jump right to it. But for one, she's a samurai and they're servants so being buddy-buddy seems unlikely. And if they're intimidated by a Scorpion samurai, I imagine they're even more so of their masters and would likely just tell them everything anyway...hmmm, that might work out actually. The culture's different enough and the power dynamics are different that I'm reluctant to just jump into this D&D style, that's what I'm really trying to say.

This conversation's given me an idea though so I'll see how it plays out. Thanks again, you both, for nudging me along. :)

My pleasure. If at any time you, or anyone else, need more advise, just ask. it is a different culture, and while i might not have a perfect grasp of it either, I have played it enough to have a decent grasp.

Users who are viewing this thread