OOC - Private Chambers

Thanks for the invite. How many people are looking at joining this RP? Do you have anyone already claiming a clan?

So, if we are each playing representatives from different clans, are we expected to be antagonistic, and how would you feel about two characters from the same clan? 

Likewise.  Pondering a Scorpion Shugenja, though.  

Unless we're all supposed to be Courtiers...

Last edited by a moderator:
You are NOT required to be courtiers, but you are expected to invest in the Courtier and Etiquette skills.

I do expect each of you to represent different Clans. Yes, that means that there will be some antagonism between characters, but alliances can shift, and there may be things happening that might require you to work together.

I am looking at the following. 

Name - Shiba Kimita

Clan - Pheonix

Family - Shiba

School - Isawa Shugenja School

So, question regarding game history / background:

Do we know anything about the people who were sent to the Empress? Do we know anything about their skills or abilities? Do we know what they have accomplished in their time in court or their time on their own? Do we know who their families are?

Some of this might be useful if we want a tie-in with those characters. Maybe we are related, not brother/sister perhaps, but from the same family? Or their family could be rivals to ours? Or perhaps they disdain certain types of abilities, like a shugenja?

Good call, later today, I will post an entire list of the students with a brief description. I don't want to spoil much with what they have done so far, because I want to save that for the actual game. As for what they accomplishes in court? not much. They were sent there as kids, 6-8 yo, and grew up there, to be taught by the teachers their Clans arranged for them, and to "better know the Imperial City", or be held hostages, so their Clans would behave.

I added you (I think, some person from Israel who seems to use their full name), but no response.

For the purpose of advantages or whatever that operate on a 'per session' basis, is there a definition you plan to use for the purposes of a play-by-post game?

That will need to be a fluid definition. Originally I was thinking about doing it once per thread, but sometimes there be need to form new threads because players go to different places to talk to different people.

Well, a first draft of Nikako is coming along.  Let me know if her questions suit you.  

I think I'll wait to finalize her numbers, particularly in terms of xp, until after a few more sheets are up.  It's been ages since I've drafted a character in this system and I kinda want to see how others are doing it.  I'm particularly interested in how @solyrflair intends to build their Shugenja so I'm not needlessly (and probably futility) competing.  

Just a few things regarding Shugenja:

1) Your Affinity Ring is the most important, followed by your Void.

2) Generally, Awareness will be third place, for the courtier stuff, but you got that covered with the school bonus, and the fact that air is your Affinity.

3) Never underestimate the power the Skill Spellcraft can provide you. It is a possible way for you to gain access to spells you do not possess scroll to.

I'm a little puzzled, boss.  

Should I be building towards a powerful Shugenja or should I be building towards someone socially competent/capable in the Imperial Court?  My impression is that the latter would be more relevant in this particular game based on the pitch.  Did I get it wrong?

Why not both? The Sochi school is Air-focued, so you're getting Awareness anyway which is by far the most important Social Trait (unless you're a descendent of Kitsuki), and Benten's Blessing (I think that's the name) is a powerful social boost which you can get from day 1 since you're Air-focused. Spellcraft is indeed powerful, and it might be worth buying that up to 2 or 3 even though it means reaching Insight Rank 2 a bit later than you otherwise would be able to.

I know that I plan to build a capable shugenja. The social skills will be involved because I refuse to play any character that is socially inept.  I know that I'll adjust from what I built before, since this campaign is different that what she was originally designed for (more detective than socialite) but she will have capability in court situations. She won't be all fire and destruction.   

@Epiphany You want your character to be efficient in his field of study, and in court. Being capable in your field of study as a Shugenja, is measured by your ability to cast Air spells. and raising Air and Void helps with that, but to raise Air, you need to raise your Awareness, which helps you in social situations.

The reason why you want to be capable in your field of study, is because it will reflect on you, as a person, and on your Clan. If they send an incompetent Shugenja to serve in the Imperial Court, it will reflect badly on them.

Why not both? The Sochi school is Air-focued, so you're getting Awareness anyway which is by far the most important Social Trait (unless you're a descendent of Kitsuki), and Benten's Blessing (I think that's the name) is a powerful social boost which you can get from day 1 since you're Air-focused. Spellcraft is indeed powerful, and it might be worth buying that up to 2 or 3 even though it means reaching Insight Rank 2 a bit later than you otherwise would be able to.

Anyone who isn't a Courtier will have to face the fact that he will likely go up Insight a bit slower.

With KAmber out of the game, are we waiting for a third player, or going ahead with just three (once our characters are done).

OK, I'm willing to declare Doji Kiriko ready for the scrutiny of the our Most Exalted Gamemaster, as well as the Imperial Court and anyone else who would glance at her :)

Users who are viewing this thread