OOC Discussion

Not #rekt! Well, maybe a smidge, but it was a wonderful critique all the same. I was honestly expecting people to come in with basic ideas like, "I want to play someone with super strength who keeps breaking things on accident" or "I want to play a Flash-type character with ADHD who genuinely struggles with day-to-day tasks".

@Giyari informs me that superspeed and ADD would in fact be a wonderful combination because, and I quote, "You could complete like 20 tasks before your concentration fucks off".

"A goof with the memory and attention span of a goldfish who keeps forgetting about one or two exploding butterfly drones he made the other day and accidentally blows up the library. Again."

Y/N?

welian said:
@Giyari informs me that superspeed and ADD would in fact be a wonderful combination because, and I quote, "You could complete like 20 tasks before your concentration fucks off".
More accurately, with ADD/ADHD, you start doing something, then get distracted and start doing something else, and again, and again. You end up doing like 5 things at the same time, which usually ends up in nothing really getting finished...

With super speed though, you could theoretically do all those tasks at the same time, and finish them all in the time it would take an unpowered non ADD/ADHD sufferer to do one single task. So, technically you can do 20 odd things at once and not suffer the down sides.

Think Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Futures Past.

Giyari said:
Okay, opinions. At the risk of sounding like a complete dick.... You're all over-thinking things.
Reading these powers over, I get the feeling everyone is too focused on being original, unique, and giving "Interesting down sides" that they're making their powers just, odd, bad, and too weird to be of any use.

If you can't sum your power up in 5-6 sentences (one paragraph) then you're thinking too much into it, or making it too abstract and complex. Now I don't say this because I think you as an RPer can't convey it, I say this because you can't expect everyone else to have the same vision of your powers as you do, therefore the simpler the better. The less there is for other people to get confused about, the more successful and concise your character will become.

@too much idea, you've listed a number of powers, some simpler, some complex.

Literal plot armor/super duper lucky, like Donald Duck's lucky cousin.

Thi is an example of a cool power, that would work in fiction, but not in the format of RPing. Not all powers are suitable for Roleplaying as a format. Another example would be time travel, which, as RPs are done "live" on a post by post basis, cannot reliably function, as the future is unknown, and the past is solidly been established already.

"Plot Armor" is a concept that works for fiction, but would be bad for RPing, as your character is not a "main character" in the traditional sense, he's no more important than any other named character, and therefore, has to obey the same rules as the rest of the cast, effectively nullifying this power completely. In another way of speaking "Plot armor" could be comparable to god-modeing your character, as they can justify their actions with their power, and not face backlash. I would avoid this power completely.

Nullification, but can only nullify by touching (so yeah, has to touch the fireball to nullify it)

Not a bad power at all actually! It would need some easy down sides though, touching isn't one of them. Perhaps a more structured down side such as a "time limit", aka his power only lasts for the length of 5 of his IC posts. with a more thought out down side, I'd class this power at a D, as they themselves would physically be human, and not actually be any different, or a threat to unpowered humans, only to powered humans. They're not a "threat" to society in any way.

Summoning, but 99% of the time the summoned creature doesn't listen and run amok.

There wouldn't be much point in this power, as it's pretty much just spawning chaos, it neither adds, or effects the story/plot in any way other than to cause a scene. This would accomplish nothing but making your character a scene stealer, derailing any ongoing actions and forcing attention on them, not a great thing for an RP. However, summoning isn't a bad power, it's established in fiction, and usually comes with some balanced negatives too. Maybe your character needs to sacrifice some blood, injuring themselves by choice to activate their power, sacrifice someone/something else's life to create another summoned life, or, maybe again, summons are only stable for a set time (number of posts) and have a cool-down period (another set number of posts) meaning they must pick and choose when to use it. If done right, I'd class this at maybe B/A

Someone who can copy someone's power momentarily.

Fantastic power! Really easy to work with and very adaptable, as you can do whatever any other character can do. Up sides, you're potentially as strong as your opponent, maybe even stronger if you use their own power in an unconventional way. I'm immediately reminded of Hollow Ichigo from bleach, who utilised Ichigo's swords bandage in fights too, something Ichigo himself didn't think of. It granted Hollow Ichigo extended range. The downsides are almost obvious, you as a borrower of powers, are not used to the powers you recieve, you're unaware of their costs and downsides, something that the originator of the powers should be well educated on. Say you grow wings and gain the ability to fly, sure it should be possible, but have you ever practised flight? I'd assume not. Upsides, potential flight, downsides, potential plummeting to your death as you don't know how to control your newly generated wings. I'd give this a B rating because it's potentially brilliant, but comes with some heavy down sides.

Someone who has the ability to transform something to something else equal to it. For example, transforming a can of beer with band aid. The only problem is, it cannot be turned back into it's previous form (so the character stuck in a huge debt)

Equivelent Exchange - AKA, Alchemy. sure, not a bad power, but how do you agree on what things are equal to others? To me a can of beer is nowhere equal to a band aid. This power would rely too much on personal opinion and "guessing" to be reliable in an RP. Might work well in fiction, but RPing is a rather unique platform of writing, it's not so flexible. Personally, I'd avoid this power as it takes too much explanation and rule setting to be simple enough for RPing.

There's plenty of other powers listed by the rest of you that I've not looked at, but if you can compare said power to one of the examples above, then you can work out whether or not it would be a good idea. Sometimes too unique can be a bad thing. After all, if it's not been done before in some form, it's probably because it's a shitty idea... think of it that way.

Of course unique powers are not bad, as long as they're simple and easy to explain.
Sucks how I can't give you a hundred like!

Thank you for your input!

As for the equivalent trade one, the character power worked on economic values. For example, an expensive car could be turned into an armored vehicle (maybe)

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="too much idea]an expensive car could be turned into an armored vehicle (maybe)

[/QUOTE]
That'd be one REALLY expensive car, haha!

Tangent: I mentioned that I based this roleplay on a few different anime. This is the trailer for one of them - probably the heaviest inspiration, as this is exactly where I stole the ranks and limiters from. Sorry that I couldn't find a subtitled version. Also a perfect example of why S Ranks are so restricted in the roleplay.

[media]

[/media]

Attention everyone! An interest poll is up!

Everyone who knows me can go ahead and roll their eyes now. I use spreadsheets a LOT to keep my roleplays organized, and this one is no different. I've created an interest poll on Google Forms, to help me figure out what kind of initial cast to expect in the beginning of the roleplay, and how many RPers plan on showing up.

You can fill out the form here: AEGIS Interest Form

Giyari said:
More accurately, with ADD/ADHD, you start doing something, then get distracted and start doing something else, and again, and again. You end up doing like 5 things at the same time, which usually ends up in nothing really getting finished...
With super speed though, you could theoretically do all those tasks at the same time, and finish them all in the time it would take an unpowered non ADD/ADHD sufferer to do one single task. So, technically you can do 20 odd things at once and not suffer the down sides.

Think Quicksilver in X-Men: Days of Futures Past.
As a person who suffers from AD/HD and is an obssessive Flash fangirl I cannot put into words how much I agree with this post.

A thousand percent accurate , A ++ for explanation.

Although gotta say your previous tangent makes me kind of insecure about my talking cat. Might take him out and just use my tree teleportation girl for now. It will be easier anyway as I'm coming up onto my yearly ( last minute scramble to get online classes done ) so less characters would probably be beneficial.

I might bring in the character's sister later though. Her power was equally harmless. Animal scrying.

Basically she can see through animals eyes. But they have to be near by and at least somewhat domesticated or used to her.

@readingraebow Hey talking cat worked for Darker than Black, should work for this! Maybe instead of transforming they can jump bodies, through events, got stuck in a cat? Can jump to other things if need be?

A cat with sentience could actually be useful, need to spy on someone? Let the cat person climb through some vents in a building and look/listen from a hiding spot in the ceiling.

Also, what's more unsuspicious than a stray cat? Its not like someone will see a stray cat and think "must be an enemy spy in animal form" its perfect cover for spying on an enemy if there doing something illegal outdoors.

Someone just replied to one of my interest checks from Nov 2014....

Im really stumped on how they even found that old dusty thread.

League of Replacement Heroes ftw.

HunterJJ said:
A cat with sentience could actually be useful, need to spy on someone? Let the cat person climb through some vents in a building and look/listen from a hiding spot in the ceiling.
Also, what's more unsuspicious than a stray cat? Its not like someone will see a stray cat and think "must be an enemy spy in animal form" its perfect cover for spying on an enemy if there doing something illegal outdoors.
True. He can be their secret weapon.

I am in Voice Lobby 2 of the site chat, for anyone interested in hanging out with me while I continue to work on the roleplay.

readingraebow said:
Gah mad jelly. I'm at work watching the clock. We're going to the movies after I get off so of course time is crawling by.
I bought the HD versions of all the HP movies on iTunes. My girlfriend had never seen them, so we've been watching a few every weekend. We're watching the 6th now.

Gonna see Deadpool with her on Monday as a late Valentine's thing.

Hi people I don't know yet!

I'm the person who replied to Hunter's thread xD Call me Nessy~~

He told me about this and I have to say how glad I am that this exists!! My last two months I spent watching Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Arrow and Flash so I'm into the Superhero vibe right now... But all other RP places I looked for a Superhero one where inactive and I was just giving up even searching here until that PM from him came :D

I am relieved and exciting for this one now, I have NEVER played a Superhero RP before but I plan to do my best and have fun :33

(Oh god I wrote a bible again >\\< )

Also, question: In the other place I was searching for a RP the person had made a list of superpowers not to use 'cause it would make the character OP... Is there going to be a case like this here? I want to know so I can be like ready for when we can plan our OCs OWO7

Nice to be knowing you all, I'll be stalking this thread now~

Necessity4Fun said:
In the other place I was searching for a RP the person had made a list of superpowers not to use 'cause it would make the character OP... Is there going to be a case like this here?
I haven't written up an official one, but in general I'd like people to avoid powers that bend reality/spacetime, and powers that give them control over other people's characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back