OOC Discussion

welian said:
Teleporting through trees sounds like a fairly harmless power - I image she'd be perhaps a C or D rank.
However, it depends on a few other things - can she teleport other people and objects with her?

The woman who can teleport only herself, and only a half mile a way, is not dangerous unless she teleports into something nasty, such as a grinder or combine - in which case she's dead.

The woman who can teleport herself, and the Empire State Building, and its contents including people, and place it down in China.... is going to be dead because two separate armies will be after her.
Well she can only teleport into trees. And they have to be fairly close - no further than a yard a way i'd say although I guess if it was a big tree with a long root system she might be able to go a little further. But like not a mile or something ridiculous like that.

At present it wouldn't have occurred to her to try to bring people through but she can bring her partner the cat along for a ride as long as she holds him in her hands. So ..... that would be an interesting experiment to see how it would work for people.

Objects - as long as it's something she's wearing or holding. So kind of like the same principal as a portkey - she has to be holding onto whatever she's teleporting with. I imagine size would factor in too. She ain't traveling with a tank or something even if she does have a hand on it. It would have to be something she could physically carry probably.

Which is why people would be interesting. Cuz she ain't a big girl so .... yeah that could be unfortunate.

I don't think it would harm anyone really. If they got stuck or something they'd just become part of the tree.

S rank that can turn anything he touches into ashes. Without his control. Commonwealth cut off his hands. Power now applies to his stumps. He teaches English.

TheDaftStudent said:
S rank that can turn anything he touches into ashes. Without his control. Commonwealth cut off his hands. Power now applies to his stumps. He teaches English.
I'd say that's a C rank power at best

"They took my hands, those bastards! They took them, they took them all, damn them all to hell!"

Falls to knees, pounds ground several times, accidentally channels powers, entire earth is destroyed.

300px-SpaceCore.png

What would a power like Memory Reading be ranked under? Like, being able to sense where people have been and also seeing what they've seen.

@readingraebow Something resembling that, yeah, but more like, delving into someone's inner mind and literally browsing their memories like a library.

[QUOTE="Lazy Rocktime]@readingraebow Something resembling that, yeah, but more like, delving into someone's inner mind and literally browsing their memories like a library.

[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure that power alone is a D rank

My character will have a sort of 'Lie detector' and will be a C rank most likely

She will see words appear whenever someone speaks, and those words will be written in her own handwriting and colored differently too depending on what the person is saying and feeling.

Such as:

A. Red - anger

B. Blue - sadness/depression

C. Orange - lie

D. Green - disgust

E. Purple - adoration

and the list goes on, but she will have multiple drawbacks such as:

1. She gets nauseated when she sees too much colors in one sentence

2. She is useless against pathological liars, who make themselves believe that they aren't lying

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Lazy Rocktime]@readingraebow Something resembling that, yeah, but more like, delving into someone's inner mind and literally browsing their memories like a library.

[/QUOTE]
So like a version of mind reading? Not sure really where that would sit. I guess it would depend on how deep into the library they could browse.

If they went too deep it could almost be like avariation of metagaming. Cuz you would be looking at like backstory and stuff without the characters permission.

Although having someone who perceives memories as a library would be interesting. Then again I'm a librarian so I'm taking the literal meaning of that and picturing my own library as someone's memory banks

[QUOTE="Lilah Tunth]
My character will have a sort of 'Lie detector' and will be a C rank most likely
She will see words appear whenever someone speaks, and those words will be written in her own handwriting and colored differently too depending on what the person is saying and feeling.

Such as:

A. Red - anger

B. Blue - sadness/depression

C. Orange - lie

D. Green - disgust

E. Purple - adoration

and the list goes on, but she will have multiple drawbacks such as:

1. She gets nauseated when she sees too much colors in one sentence

2. She is useless against pathological liars, who make themselves believe that they aren't lying

[/QUOTE]
Would it only work on people because if it does my talking cat would have a fun time trolling her.

I think it's a bit too much to read others memories fully like a library, in my opinion it would make more sense if you make it small snippets

[/QUOTE]

readingraebow said:
Would it only work on people because if it does my talking cat would have a fun time trolling her.
xD

She'd only see 'Meow' in black I am afraid

The power works at all times however she is also limited by how she herself perceives words, such as if someone will speak in German she will have no understanding and will see words in black

It would've been funny tho'

1. Literal plot armor/super duper lucky, like Donald Duck's lucky cousin. -> D?
  2. Nullification, but can only nullify by touching (so yeah, has to touch the fireball to nullify it). -> C/B?
  3. Summoning, but 99% of the time the summoned creature doesn't listen and run amok. -> A?
  4. Someone who can copy someone's power momentarily. -> S/A?
  5. Someone who has the ability to transform something to something else equal to it. For example, transforming a can of beer with band aid. The only problem is, it cannot be turned back into it's previous form (so the character stuck in a huge debt) -> A/B?

I plan for my character to be the most apathetic, unmotivated hero ever.

He'll have Data manipulation as his ability, mainly capable of forming a variety constructs that have a pixelated effect to them.

I'd say he's around a B rank.

Though he's much more likely to give snarky, sarcastic commentary than help people. That or play on a DS.

Okay, opinions. At the risk of sounding like a complete dick.... You're all over-thinking things.

Reading these powers over, I get the feeling everyone is too focused on being original, unique, and giving "Interesting down sides" that they're making their powers just, odd, bad, and too weird to be of any use.

If you can't sum your power up in 5-6 sentences (one paragraph) then you're thinking too much into it, or making it too abstract and complex. Now I don't say this because I think you as an RPer can't convey it, I say this because you can't expect everyone else to have the same vision of your powers as you do, therefore the simpler the better. The less there is for other people to get confused about, the more successful and concise your character will become.

@too much idea, you've listed a number of powers, some simpler, some complex.

Literal plot armor/super duper lucky, like Donald Duck's lucky cousin.

Thi is an example of a cool power, that would work in fiction, but not in the format of RPing. Not all powers are suitable for Roleplaying as a format. Another example would be time travel, which, as RPs are done "live" on a post by post basis, cannot reliably function, as the future is unknown, and the past is solidly been established already.

"Plot Armor" is a concept that works for fiction, but would be bad for RPing, as your character is not a "main character" in the traditional sense, he's no more important than any other named character, and therefore, has to obey the same rules as the rest of the cast, effectively nullifying this power completely. In another way of speaking "Plot armor" could be comparable to god-modeing your character, as they can justify their actions with their power, and not face backlash. I would avoid this power completely.

Nullification, but can only nullify by touching (so yeah, has to touch the fireball to nullify it)

Not a bad power at all actually! It would need some easy down sides though, touching isn't one of them. Perhaps a more structured down side such as a "time limit", aka his power only lasts for the length of 5 of his IC posts. with a more thought out down side, I'd class this power at a D, as they themselves would physically be human, and not actually be any different, or a threat to unpowered humans, only to powered humans. They're not a "threat" to society in any way.

Summoning, but 99% of the time the summoned creature doesn't listen and run amok.

There wouldn't be much point in this power, as it's pretty much just spawning chaos, it neither adds, or effects the story/plot in any way other than to cause a scene. This would accomplish nothing but making your character a scene stealer, derailing any ongoing actions and forcing attention on them, not a great thing for an RP. However, summoning isn't a bad power, it's established in fiction, and usually comes with some balanced negatives too. Maybe your character needs to sacrifice some blood, injuring themselves by choice to activate their power, sacrifice someone/something else's life to create another summoned life, or, maybe again, summons are only stable for a set time (number of posts) and have a cool-down period (another set number of posts) meaning they must pick and choose when to use it. If done right, I'd class this at maybe B/A

Someone who can copy someone's power momentarily.

Fantastic power! Really easy to work with and very adaptable, as you can do whatever any other character can do. Up sides, you're potentially as strong as your opponent, maybe even stronger if you use their own power in an unconventional way. I'm immediately reminded of Hollow Ichigo from bleach, who utilised Ichigo's swords bandage in fights too, something Ichigo himself didn't think of. It granted Hollow Ichigo extended range. The downsides are almost obvious, you as a borrower of powers, are not used to the powers you recieve, you're unaware of their costs and downsides, something that the originator of the powers should be well educated on. Say you grow wings and gain the ability to fly, sure it should be possible, but have you ever practised flight? I'd assume not. Upsides, potential flight, downsides, potential plummeting to your death as you don't know how to control your newly generated wings. I'd give this a B rating because it's potentially brilliant, but comes with some heavy down sides.

Someone who has the ability to transform something to something else equal to it. For example, transforming a can of beer with band aid. The only problem is, it cannot be turned back into it's previous form (so the character stuck in a huge debt)

Equivelent Exchange - AKA, Alchemy. sure, not a bad power, but how do you agree on what things are equal to others? To me a can of beer is nowhere equal to a band aid. This power would rely too much on personal opinion and "guessing" to be reliable in an RP. Might work well in fiction, but RPing is a rather unique platform of writing, it's not so flexible. Personally, I'd avoid this power as it takes too much explanation and rule setting to be simple enough for RPing.

There's plenty of other powers listed by the rest of you that I've not looked at, but if you can compare said power to one of the examples above, then you can work out whether or not it would be a good idea. Sometimes too unique can be a bad thing. After all, if it's not been done before in some form, it's probably because it's a shitty idea... think of it that way.

Of course unique powers are not bad, as long as they're simple and easy to explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back