• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

On Strange Tides

I can't wait to see Xer try to get one over on a Spirit. That's going to be a fun arc.

He has the balls to try... i give him that.

Also im cool with combining backstories with other members like someone teaching Xer to read or w.e.

Lintha Akkabri

Xer is picturing a freakin creepy woman who cost more then she worth, and yet he cannot turn down the challenge. As with any puzzle that hids a chest, He wonders if he could open the door. Like a moth to a flame, he cannot help but wonder what it would be like to contain that raspy voice, and be the one who guides that hate. Why does she rid her self of the value she had. What did she buy that had such a heavy price tag. He as of now cares not for her, but what truth she hides.

Jengo

Sees him as not valuable, until he learns of this secert skill he is withholding from the group. Still, he seems to be the easiest to influence and reminds him of his brothers. So Xer will play nice with him. Teach him about what he knows, play to his whimsy and cultivate him till he becomes a good minion. Or at least prank him for the lolz. There is value in others misfortune.

Talhar

Xer relates to Talhar the most as both have a similar background of losing everything and growing up on the streets however while Talhar my care about righting wrongs, Xer sees though thoughts as a valuless dream. However Xer will probably never put down Talhar for it out of respect. He views Talhar as a valuble ally and hopes to one day have the same control over him as his brothers, but he can settle for being equals.

Ufiya

Sorry i cant make out anything about her. If she is open about her magic, Xer will see her as a valuble ally. Try to please her interest inorder to get her to do what he wanted. If she is captain, then he will gladly give her the lead until he could pull the strings from the back grounds. He also knows that she holds the biggest rewards, control her and he controls the ship.

Seferin

Xer probably would see her as a lost cause and not waste his time trying to follow her. However if he can learn how to target her focus like with Lintha, maybe he could squeeze some value out of her.

>Get no updates to this thread losing it in the flood of finals that have set out with the tide.

Dear heavens how horrifying. @Grey I'm still interested but it will take me a day or two to put everything together. Sorry for missing everything until now.

Ok, let's see.

Lintha is not a monster. She's just....yeah, ok, she's a little bit of a monster. She had a soft upbringing, and a soft life, and soft choices, and soft interpersonal skills, and everything was easy in a society made for people like her, and she fucking snapped. Mencken was right about them black flags*.

Jengo

At first, she won't ask why he is Outcaste. Everyone has their own reasons, and she would never try to just guess. She'll feel protective of him, and when she finds out the exact circumstances of his flight, well. Temples will burn.

She sacrificed, she gave of herself, but she made that choice. To demand otherwise, to force that sacrifice, that is unholy.

Otherwise, she might fuss over him a little bit, in a way that she would not over other characters. Lintha is only about 23, but she genuinely does not expect to ever have children.

Talhar

Lintha will respect Talhar, and see stories like his as an example of why change is necessary. She won't feel protective of him, mind, and she won't attempt to take charge of his personal tragedies. They are his and his alone, his burden and his strength. What he chooses to do with his life and his losses belongs to him. If he needs a hand making things better, well.....

Seferin

Lintha will see her as an obviously lost soul, and one who is charging headlong towards a bad end. The person Lintha used to be would be horrified, sad, upset, and feel pity. This new person whom Lintha is becoming will just see it as the choice which Seferin makes, and will accept her without pity or reproach. Responding to a harsh world with self-destructive violence is something which Lintha understands now. She is just much more calculating about it.

Ufiya

Lintha would have a quiet respect for Ufiya, and would follow her command....but not unquestioningly. She'd respect someone who's made it into her thirties in such a harsh trade. Lintha is never going to challenge for command, but she'll foment rebellion and stir revolution, and if she can embolden Ufiya to acts of political defiance, she will.

Xer

Xer will be complicated. Thing about Lintha....if she wanted wealth and luxury, she wouldn't have become a pirate. She went pirate because that was Step Two of bringing revolution/change/peace/heads on spikes. Thus, she mightn't immediately spot what a snake Xer is, because he's coming at her from somewhat of a blind spot.

That said, if he intervenes and manipulates in a way which harms her goals, she is apt to respond with sudden and extreme violence. If he intervenes and manipulates in ways which do not impede her goals, she is more likely to be amused.

Lintha is well educated and can teach, she can swim, she can navigate, she can count money and calculate losses, and she can cut throats with a calm heart and a clear eye.

*"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Nobody trustes Xer already lol

Part of being great deceptor is not being found out lol. Xer has a great personality and is quite nimble. Though his intentions are dark, his words are but a warmth of light in these dark seas. True he lives under a cloak of false truth, but does not everyone want to see the nobles reign end. Does not everyone have the scars brought forth from this corrupted society. Does not everyone wish to live in a society where it is not the strong who remain on top but the people. A place were we all are equals. Xer only wishes to help everyone relize there goal. He wants everyone to experience to joy and happiness that he sees. So ask not "how can i trust this man, but ask how can work together to achive the same end?" For when people work together can they truely preform best and discover there true value

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes sense, though - they have no reason to trust him or distrust him just yet, and Ufiya, the captain, has been making an effort to remain uninvolved in the revolutionaries' war, for her part. Anyhow, trust is a rare commodity among pirates, I'd imagine.

Officially, what's everyone's role on the ship? I'm not sure it'd occur to Jengo to use his training in blacksmithing to get him a job. That's Something Mother Does, not yet Something I Do, in his mind. So he might start out as nothing but a cabin boy, until it comes up that he's actually damn good at something.

Alternatively, if that sounds like too much hassle to everyone, he can just be the official blacksmith and we'll leave it at that.

Though he's not going to like the idea of making metal weapons, not at all. Those habits die hard.

Well, I did note that Lintha is quite likely not to realise how manipulative Xer is until he does something to tip his hand.

I can see Lintha as a second in command, scout, book-keeper, negotiator, and throat-slitter. One on one, she's a terrifying social presence, and her with a spear in the water vs a ship full of dudes who don't yet know she's there is....well, it's going to be interesting.

@Dusky

I didnt mean trust as in life but like he is a member of a team. Sure pirates might now "trust" each other but they still are a team... unless you guys are going for that wild and chaotic everyman for them self but stuck on one boat relationship. I dont see how we will get very far with it though.

That's what I was asking everyone - what's your character's role on the ship? It's your character, so you get to pick, for the most part.

Given Xer's skillset as a thief, and his age and therefore relative inexperience, and the fact he's yet to make a name for himself, it'd make sense to me for him to be a pretty regular crewmate who does scouting whenever they land somewhere - and if he's a runt he'll probably do fine motor stuff, rather than grunt work - help with repairs maybe? I dunno, I haven't seen his stats - but anyway, that's just what occurs to me. Like I said before, up to you~ (OuO)

Xer would want a postion where he can obtain alot of information without being in a leadership position. He would fit as a scout, lookout, spy. If something shady needs to get done he is your guy.

I want to say Xer is not a thief but i'm having trouble really putting and idea about what he does. He is a trickster who makes other people do things while reaping the rewards. Though he does have the dex to be a theif... he would prefer sending someone else to do it while keeping good relationship with the target. I dont know how to describe it... he just does shady jobs.

no he to young for that level of influence. More like the guy you call if you need someone to hide for a day, if you need something stolen, or if you need information.

nooo

He like that guy who sits in the dark alley and does any job if you have to coin. And if he cant do something he knows someone or has a follower who can do it.

Since Ufiya was trained as a guardsman (and her momma was Drill Sergeant Toughlove), she does expect some discipline from her crew. I don't imagine the ship as a chaotic environment where it's every man for themselves. On the other hand, Ufiya's smart enough to know there are people smarter than her and approves of those who contribute ideas and take initiative.

In my head, I've got this odd analogy to an energetic start-up company with a couple interns. Newbies struggle on their own, get adopted by a mentor, and/or find what they're good at and shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Single black female, 23, seeks poorly guarded cargo ship for light boarding and heavy plundering.

Thank you, Scott Lynch.

[QUOTE="The Fuzz]Thank you, Scott Lynch.

[/QUOTE]
<_<;; And this is all takes for me to open up the local library catalog site. You an' yer name-droppin' promotion of literacy. *shakefist*

Let's pick a boat! Or inspiration for one. @Grey: How are the waters?

Sail and rudder powered

Junk Fast, easy to control, can handle rough seas; various sizes

Sail and oar powered ( fast, manoeuvrable )

Fusta? A few guns (Are there gun equivalents to be had?) Can lie in wait in shallow waters. (30 sailors/slaves? Estimate based on rowers)

Xebec? A complement of guns. Meant for calmer seas, not designed to take a hit. (300 sailors/slaves)

Sewn boat construction? Something else? Custom design? An inconspicuous fishing boat that casually sidles up to nice big cargo ships?

Part of me appreciates just how underhanded that fishing boat idea is. The other part of me has been in the mood for the grandiose.

But the whole of me says let's get a Pirates feel going with a galleon.

For clarity, I know nothing about ships. Ignore me. (OuO)

Naw, naw, Dusky. Junks are glirious ships, their sails have strength while theuir hullas add stability dosregard inebriation of Yim./

Users who are viewing this thread

Back