• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

On Strange Tides

Bumping because this ship could use a captain, and I want to see attempted character sheets from everyone.

Dusky is leaving you all in the dust, so far.

Hrm. This may need editing. What's the punishment for taking up metal weapons?

Snippets of Ufiya, the warrior-mage who took up piracy.

Ufiya, former ward of Akkani of the Coral City guards

She grew up within the Soil Caste, feeling little connection to the Earth, but little reason to rebel against it either. She didn't feel the push-pull until she had to run.

"Guardsman." She snapped to attention at Akkani's voice before her body could protest. Just outside the harbormaster's office, her fellow guards in-training had the disarmed burglars pinned down.

"Thank you for your service. You are dismissed." She stared at her mentor until she recognised the words for what they were.

She let the sword slip from her grasp.

She ran and ran, unable to stomp out the words that rang through her body at every step. Not one. Of mine. No child. Of mine.

She ran and cast herself to the sea.

-----

Ufiya was hauled out to the cave mouth. Squinting against the white midday sun, she saw beaded hair and feathers before a kick sprawled her on the rocky slope. Once lava, from the smell of it.

"I'm fair certain this is not what I asked for."

"Not what we asked for either, but here it is." A boot pressed down on her skull, keeping her face mashed to the rocks. "After." The heel dug in to punctuate every syllable following. "Scraping song-scripture all over our markers."

So that's why she wasn't dead yet. "I remember 'em," she rasped out under the boot. Or at least the earth helped her remember, radiating displeasure against the scrape of man-shaped metals and the traces left in the wounds.

It turned out they weren't the only pirates using this cove. They stole the lot and earned the ire of another crew It was of palemen's design, if the black daggers on their banner were anything to go by.

-----

Her former logistics training proved to have its uses a few years later, when the quartermaster fell. The crew elected Ufiya in her place.

-----

"It's a decent ship, Captain," she said, looking down the length of the deck of the captured vessel.

The captain nodded at that assessment. "That it is, Captain."

Ufiya raised an eyebrow.

The other woman grinned. "You still have to fight me for a crew."

Feel free to post a captain character. I can scale Ufiya back to quartermaster or scout-type person if needed.

[QUOTE="Teh Frixz]Any goblins allowed?

[/QUOTE]
No, this is Dark Age, not Darkening Skies

Rats, I've been wanting to play one(six) lemme whip something up when my computer is free

The Living Heretic

Not all abide by the will of the Gods and a select few choose to wage war against them

Born with her cord around her neck, Seferin was a terribly difficult labor. A sign of things to come as through her life in the Coral City was fraught with disrespect and rebellion. Her mother, one of the Rain caste, was beset with grief as the little girl would pout and resist daily and seemingly refused to engage in worship of the raindancer. Out of mercy, she was taught again and again her place under the assumption that a difficult river could be tamed.

It went on like this until a birth blessing ceremony. Seferin attempted to take her life before the child, ruining the ceremony and forcing intervention by higher castes. The event seemingly marked a turning point in the life of Serefin, who had merely been uncooperative before, had now begun to embrace outright rebellion. Even going so far to geld herself, denying any sort of life and role within the City. When brought before the Khuvala, Serefin's very presence seemed to cause the woman pain and spitting before her was the last straw.

Outcaste. Exiled and removed as a stain on her mother's name. Seferin for the first time felt alive. Shunning her life, she fell in quickly with piracy. Refusing to follow any sort of caste prejudice dripping down, her methods became brutal and effective. Love of the gods and life drifted away to be replaced with love of watching Lama suffer.

-----------------------------------------

Concept: Soulless mutant born into a caste, harsh rejection due to soulless nature, now a 3edgy4me pirate riding about using as much metal and burning out gods and spirits alike as a Pirate Lord

Okay, I'd like to see some more refined concepts, either here or PM, and some attempts at character sheets.

If you guys want to discuss potential relationships, locations, etc.

I will be doing a proper writeup for a couple of locations, but if you guys want to be fanciful with certain details or NPCs I can work 'em in to give you more to play with.

I realize this sounds like a sandbox, but isn't really - there will be a big honking plot with a visible end, it's just the route by which you sail there that differs and, if you're crafty, exactly where that end is.

[QUOTE="Teh Frixz]What is a darkling might I ask?

[/QUOTE]
No longer a thing - a holdover from the very first draft, which I never got around to deleting when it ceased to be relevant.

We will discuss that in a PM, depending on how much you want to find out through play.

That depends, I suppose, on if we've all been thrown together by circumstance all at once a la Darkening Skies, or if it's an established crew that we've all come by gradually. Grey?

@Grey

can you inform me on the character types we currently have. (i dont want to create a thief if someone did it already?)

Dusky said:
That depends, I suppose, on if we've all been thrown together by circumstance all at once a la Darkening Skies, or if it's an established crew that we've all come by gradually. Grey?
I'm thinking recently established crew, with most of you having been among the Outcaste for at least a few months.

Unyielding said:
@Grey
can you inform me on the character types we currently have. (i dont want to create a thief if someone did it already?)
Let's see - so far we have a revolutionary priest of The Heron, a representative priest of Gold Shark or possibly his rival, a misguided thug, a young boy who would have been a sacrifice and works with metals, a rebellious former guard, and Frixz' double-heretic.

Grey said:
I'm thinking recently established crew, with most of you having been among the Outcaste for at least a few months.
Let's see - so far we have a revolutionary priest of The Heron, a representative priest of Gold Shark or possibly his rival, a misguided thug, a young boy who would have been a sacrifice and works with metals, a rebellious former guard, and Frixz' double-heretic.
Are these priest magical priest or just religious priest

Also whats the different between misdirection and lying... they seem the same to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back