• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Not so serious fantasy RP

FuzzyWuzzy

Elder Member
Fantasy Rp with @Salmiakki

The moon was high above the city,illuminating the stone walls of the buildings as Paul walked by them. He wore the dark blue coat of the night watch and its white scarf as he silently walked through the cold and windy night. He was walking down the main road,down from the guard house and the merchant district towards the lower parts of the city where he would walk his beat as usual. Right now he was walking through the nicest part of his route, he would sometimes like to have a patrol in one of the nice parts of the city but he knew that would never be the case, after all that duty was reserved for the young members of the guard that had connections to the higher ups and would be promoted soon enough. He spent every night walking back down to the slums he had left behind after his youth, back then he had thought hed escape them for good, but each night now he realized how naive he was. The wind picked up slightly as he kept walking down the street,gazing at the min city gate,where even at this late hour,carriages where still arriving,carrying people and various goods,some of these certainly illegal but that was none of his concern. He wrapped the scarf tighter around his neck,pulling it up slightly to cover his face,while also pulling up the hood of the coat, he was not in the mood to catch a cold. He kept his truncheon in his right hand,while his left checked if he had remembered to carry his axe,as usual he relaxed slightly when he felt it beneath his coat and shirt.

the smell was the first thing he always noticed as he walked into the slums,it came from the river,which flowed through the city, it may have been clean eons ago but now it was a brown stream that exited the city at the slums, off course that was also the are where a lot of waste was thrown into it,hence the smell of the slums. The second thing he noticed where the buildings. instead of the well built and crafted stone houses of the middle class that shone slightly in the moon light, he was now walking between shoddy constructions made out of wood,most looking as if theyd collapse any moment from now. He chuckled a bit as he recognized some of them from his childhood,despite there looks some of theses houses were remarkably resilient,withstanding plagues,fires,riots and attempts by the elite to get rid of them. His eyes moved from shadow to shadow,most of them were devoid of life,yet he had to watch out,it wouldn't be the first time a copper would end up dead in these streets. But luckily he hardly saw any one as most people preferred to avoid the law in this area. He knew that as soon as hed be gone the street here would be filled by all kinds of people,from kids,to drunks,to prostitutes,to drug dealers, but somehow all of these people managed to be invisible whenever the city guard was around. It probably was for the better as Paul would be outnumbered and he had no plans of  getting himself killed. He heard some sounds from the many taverns lining the streets,ranging from drunken singing to the sound of fights. He listened in for a moment to see if there was anything hed have to take care of but it all just sounded like a normal day in the slums and so he kept walking his beat. He looked up and unlike the clear sky in the better areas of the down he only saw a sky filled wit fumes and smoke from the slum. He looked up as he heard the sounds of heavy boots hitting the pavement behind him, he was alarmed and turned around,his truncheon ready to be brought down upon anyone behind him. Yet he was even more surprised as he saw 2 men in the shining white armor of the royal guard,these men were responsible for the highest circles of the city, the nobles and the mages, both of these groups only lived in the best parts of the city and yet he was confronted with two members of the royal guard. They had their sword drawn and the expression on their faces made it clear that they were not used to the smell of the slums. They slowed down as they saw him and came to a stand still. " A thief,female,average size and younger than thirty. If you find her bring her to the embassy of the elves" the voice of that man,was rude,boastful and filled with the arrogance that came with his position. Paul remained quiet,not mentioning how that description would fit a high percentage of the humans that lived here or how the royal guard had no right to order him around or how if hed catch her hed only bring her to the holding cell at the guards house. He played dumb and just nodded. Apparently satisfied with that the two idiots in white armor took off again looking around with their swords drawn while apparently looking for someone. Paul shook his head and decided that patrolling the main road would be useless with these fools running ahead of him ans so he left that road for one of the back alleys,seeing if he would be able to catch anyone in the shadows. He began to move as he had when he was still a child,running errands for the gangs. he moved from shadow to shadow,hopefully without being seen while he was on the look out for scoundrels,so far he had only spotted some homeless people and one or two sleeping trolls,yet he kept moving into the dark alleys of the slums,hoping to at least catch one scoundrel tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
I paused my running for a moment to catch my breath, glancing around the dark alley in case I wasn't alone. The cold air felt almost painful as my lungs try to get as much oxygen as possible. Few deep breathes and I started to run again. Tightly hugging a small pouch against my chest I made my way through the gloomy path the hem of my cloak floating behind me. In the pouch I had the most expensive thing I had ever stolen in my life. I would get enough money for all the utensils I needed at the moment. This time my anonymous customer had asked me to get him the key of the royal guard's weapon stock. I had questioned doing this several times. Stealing a simple jewelry and or getting information was harmless and wouldn't affect anyone on larger scale. But all the weapons? I didn't have a hunch what he was going to use them for, but no matter what I had a bad feeling about this. 

The tip of my shoe suddenly got stuck between two cobblestones and I shut my eyes bracing for the impact with the cold and wet stones. With a curse word I tried to get back onto my feet. There was no time to fall around, who knows who was after me. My first attempt fell flat and I noticed my left hand feeling oddly warm. Apparently it had been under my ribs when I went down with all my weight. Ignoring the pulsing pain I picked the fallen pouch from the ground and clumsily got up. Now in a hurried mood I quicken the pace of my steps, I had to get out of here. My customer was waiting for me just outside the slums and I didn't have long to get there. 'You will get there, Breanna, believe me,' I comforted myself. Just a few blocks more. Focused on my task I didn't notice the guard on patrol. When I landed my eyes on him I abruptly stopped and backed up around the nearest corner. My shoes had made scratching noise on the pavement so I think he had heard me. Checking for the key I pricked up my ears for him, trying to decide what I should do next.

I was leaning against the wall,in one of the many lonely back alleys of the slums,my eyes calmly overlooking the street in front of me,while my ears did their best to separate the normal sounds of the city from the sounds i should be aware of,like the boots of the royal guard earlier,but this time it was a different sound that got my attention. I lifted my head as a deep thud hit my ears,it sounded as if someone had hit the ground face first. I turn around and at first glance i only spot an empty alley, and i was about to chalk it up to my mind playing tricks on itself, but then i saw the tip of a foot vanishing behind the nearest corner. Now i knew that i was not going crazy and more importantly i knew that there was someone that didn't want to be seen by a watchman, i added one and one together and began to move towards the corner,i moved carefully but didn't put a tremendous effort into sneaking,after all it didn't look as if that subject could run away from me, no matter how hard it would want to. My grip around my truncheon tightened as i knocked against the wooden wall with its tip. A small smile played on my lips " Ready or not,here i come". It was useless but i couldn't resist teasing the unknown person,even if i had only spotted him or her by blind luck. I still had the grin on my face as i finally stepped around the corner,looking at the person in front of me. I had my truncheon, ready just for the case that the person would fight me, I also made sure to physically take up as much space as i could,easier said than done,considering i have never been the biggest person, but i should be able to keep the subject from running. I look up and down the person,apparently a woman,not much younger than me id guess and also not much smaller,i muse silently. I tab the tip of my truncheon against her leg,with a innocent smile on my face " Could it be that youve fallen down? If you want i can certainly accompany you to a doctor?" my voice is filled with sarcasm,it is pretty obvious that both of us know that it would be a big surprise to find an innocent person out in the slums at this time. " Off course after you have identified yourself and i have searched you to make sure you arent part of any illegal activities,but im sure you have nothing to fear?" i joke and shake my head. My eyes land on the pouch she is clutching with her hand and i cant help but wonder if she was actually the thief the royal idiots have mentioned earlier. "Hand over the pouch" my voice is calm but firm and i look at her with cold eyes. I take a step back so to at least give her some space and sigh,as i also notice a small swelling on the hand,guessing the fall had caused it. " And if you want i have advice for you:Dont run from a watchmen,just makes it easier to find you and blame you" i grin a bit,satisfied,and even having a small hope that a find like this would earn my a small promotion despite my humble origins " But secondly and more importantly,i am actually serious about a doctor, your hand doesn't look good" He extended his left hand with an open palm,expecting the pouch,while he kept the truncheon in the right hand ready to strike at any moment should the girl try anything,carelessness and trust were high on the list of attributes that got one killed down here

Hearing the guard getting closer I weigh my options. There was no way I could climb up the wall of the house behind me and on my other side there was a tall fence that didn't seem easy to climb over either. The time was up quickly and soon he was there. The man was now right in front of me, blocking my way out. As an instinct I took a step back, now feeling the hard wall against my back. I measured his features, trying to find some weaknesses that could help me escape the situation. He wasn't particularly large, not too tall compared to me, but I still didn't want to engage a fist fight.

When he decided to talk I didn't react, even though I was slightly annoyed by his choice of tone. He still decided to continue talking nonsense and I could realize he had taken interest in the pouch I had. With that I glared at the watchman, making clear that I wasn't going to obey. Instead, I held the pouch even closer to myself, no letting go. If I didn't deliver this, preferably soon, I wouldn't be in the books of the living by morning. "I can take care of myself, thank you," I answered bitterly, keeping my strict expression. Now I had to flee for real. For an emergency plan made in a few seconds it was good enough. Putting all my hope to the success of this, I throw the pouch as high I can, slightly in the direction I was running a while ago. Right after that I rush my feet into a run, aiming for his left side, ready to dodge his truncheon or his free hand by getting as low as possible.

I watch her eyes  look around,smiling as she apparently fails to see an exit and i patiently wait for her to hand over the pouch, the look on her face tells me that she at least for now, doesn't see an easy way out of the situation, and for me this meant an easy arrest and if people were looking for her there might also be a small bounty in it for me. I briefly consider handing her over to the royal guard,but after a second i slightly shake my head, i was a watchman and not a bounty hunter,shed go to the same place as anyone else i would catch, and that was the watch house and nothing else. Considering her hand though that girl would probably get to see the doctor before the holding cell. I begin to smile as her hand moves,expecting her to hand over the pouch but the smile leaves my face as she throws it into the alley. My first instinct is to go for the pouch but i remind myself that catching a thief or smuggler like here is better than just getting the pouch, yet i was distracted long enough and as i bring my truncheon down to hit it misses and i have to run after her, it was my luch that she had to get low first,else shed probably be out of reach. My feet act on their own as they move my body after her with big steps,ignoring the thud of the pouch hitting the pavement behind me. my eyes widen as i realize that she was getting quicker and gaining distance with each step, if i would not do something the damned girl would get away from me. I jump, extending my arms to get a hold of her, hoping to drag her to the ground with my weight, at first my hands slip from her clothes and my eyes widen in fear of letting her escape, but then i get a hold of her legs,just as i hit the pavement,but at least she falls as well. The impact sends a wave of pain through my body but thanks to the adrenaline rushing through me i manage to ignore that and instead growl as i get up quicker and to make sure that the girl would trick me again i grab her arm and roughly pull her up before pressing her against the house wall. I grumble as i hear the thud of her hitting the house wall and use her arm to apply some painful leverage, my mood had gone from pretty good to terrible.. I briefly look down myself shaking my head at the dirt all over my coat, not only would i be bruised from the fall tomorrow but id also have to clean my coat.

my voice reeks of suppressed anger as i look around,glad that no other slum dweller had shown up so far. " Is that what you call taking care of yourself,girl?" I twist her arm slightly, I would never seriously harm someone for simple theft,but that girl wouldn't have to know that. I stop twisting it and do my best regain my composure. " Now lets try this again." I took a deep breath. " Who are you? What the hill did you steel? And do you carry any other stolen goods,weapons or drugs on your person? or will i really have to search you?" i look around making sure too remember the area where the pouch must have landed. "  Now i dont know if your the thief the royal guard is looking for but if you dont play nice now ill certainly hand you over, and if you think im being rough,wait till you see how creative the little boys in white can be" I apply some pressure again to the arm, to make sure that the girl is listening to me, i wasn't a fan of acting like that but, i was not in the mood for games and i wouldn't let her get the better of me as if i was some rookie. " Now assuming youd be that thief the royal guard is looking for, what did a slum dweller like you steal from them,that made these idiots come down here?" It was pretty hypocritical from me to call her a slum dweller since i didn't live much above the slums, spent my work here and grew up here, but that was none of the girls business " And girl dont make me ask twice, you used up my patience "

When I escaped around him I felt a small spark of glee speed me up and I could almost feel the relief. But my delight didn't last long when the watchman was right on my tail. I hadn't got almost any lead so it wasn't a surprise he had reached me with such ease. Not looking back I could almost feel his hand touch me but I focused on quickening my steps. With that, I noticed something on my leg, not letting me go further anymore. With a quiet cry of surprise and frustration I fell, softening the landing with my left, injured hand. As I bit my teeth together in pain the guard now pulled me up with force and pushing me against the wall. My already suffered body got a taste of more pain when the man decided to twist my arm. Trying to keep my voice down I grin with painful expression. He asked for my identity but I had no desire to tell that information. "I have nothing," I mutter under my breath. That was real close to the truth. I had zero interest on drugs and I didn't feel the need for weapons. Sometimes I carried a pocket knife but not this time. I wasn't afraid of the royal guard but when the man hurt my arm again, I decided to not resist too much.

I tried to think how to get out of here soon. The key was the most important thing now, right after my own life. Too bad my life could be dependant on the exchange for it. Now I opened my mouth to reason with the watchman. "If I don't deliver that pouch quickly my life is in danger," I said, trying not to sound pathetic nor cocky. He probably wanted me to stay alive no matter how hard he handled me at the moment. So that could be a way to get both the key and my life to safety. Now I changed my expression into a more of a pitiful one. "I really don't want to die because of that."

I stop applying pressure to her arm as i feel her stop resisting and listen closely as she claims to have nothing, for a second the though off searching her crossed my mind but instead i let go of her arm and hold her against the wall without much pressure as i think for a second." You do have a name, and i am very much interested in that,so you will end up giving it to me,sooner or later. " I step back from her and walk a few steps,my eyes scanning the dirty pavement before i spot the pouch the girl had thrown away earlier. I calmly pick it up and walk back towards the girl with a satisfied grin on my face as i open it up to peak inside, I raise an eyebrow as i see that it only holds a key, i must say that i had expected something more exciting then a key considering how mad the royal guard earlier had appeared. " So your entire life depends on a key?"  i toss her the empty pouch as i hold up the key to take a better look at it, it really could be for anything. " here is the thing, i dont ant you to die as well, but that thing wont go to who ever gave you the job. I want his name, and ill let you go with we get that guy into prison" I wasn't exactly a fan of deals with criminals but she seamed like a small enough fish compared to who ever ordered her. " Oh and part of the deal is your address and name, after all i cant have a thief running around without making sure she doesn't steal again....." I grin at her satisfied with my offer and begin to walk back towards the main street, the key in my hand and my back turned to but some mental pressure on to her. " You either take that deal, or i take the key and leave now." as i slowly walk and wait for her response, the gears in my mind are already turning, wondering how might have paid for a theft like that and what someone could want with a key from the royal guard, I wonder if they girl might have lied and worked for herself,but i get rid of that thought as it makes absolutely no sense. It seams ill have to work with that damned girl to find out who really is behind it

I sighed with relief when he released my arm and I immediately brought it to my chest. As he said something about my name I started to develop a fake name for myself in case I really had to tell a name to him. Even though I had the urge to run and catch the key to myself I stood put, not wanting to cause any more trouble. I caught the pouch and filled my pocket with it. I looked down towards the ground and after a while I lifted my gaze up, as if trying to forge some sense into his head. Just like I would've know my anonymous customer's name. When I heard the rest of the deal I gritted my teeth together. This wasn't going well for me. But giving my name, starting with the fake one, and address was less bothersome than dying. I couldn't give the customer's name but maybe I could make up a plan anyways. Looking around me, I saw the watchman walking away. If I hadn't heard him say something that complicated it would've looked like he was letting me go. Quickly catching him up with a few running steps I frowned. "I can't give my customer's name," I said while looking at him. "He's anonymous." 

I turn around and raise an eyebrow as i look at the thief,she was holding her hand and had already caught up to me. " I turn the key over in my hand, my thumb sliding over the smooth metal work,with the royal emblem embittered on it. " Oh well then youll have to help me catch him" I grin at her as i slide the key in my pocket " Because im sure a shell not letting you deliver that key juts because you act as if your life depends on it " I lean against the wall and watch the girl for a moment. She was still holding her arm and i felt a little sting of guilt at it, i shook my head getting rid of that , after all she was a thief and i had to get her to talk somehow, seeing as she was now standing next to me it had worked even if i didnt like it. " So here is  the thing, youll get a pretty good deal. You help me arrest that customer of yours and youll give me your name and an address where i can find you in case there are other thefts where you fit the description. In exchange for that you will get a bounty once we have that customers of yours in jail and ill pay for a doctor to take a look at your little injuries from tonight." I look down the alley and let out a deep breath, i was offering her a really good deal but her customer should be worth my trouble and maybe i could use her help in some other cases " off course id only give you the bounty if you give me your real address and name..." i smirk at her and extend my hand " I am Paul by the way, so do we have a deal?"

Once again I looked at the man with a non-approving face. Life and death weren't something to joke around, but oh well, maybe he wasn't used to thieves who talked the honest truth. "I wouldn't have said that if I really wasn't in danger,' I mutter almost inaudibly. Then I listened to him carefully, trying to find any possible loopholes. I sighed after he stopped talking. There wasn't much I could do but I then really should get a job, if I couldn't make money by doing suspicious acts. "I'm fine," I exclaimed and quickly let go or my arm. It didn't hurt that bad, really. For a moment I was deep in thought, deciding my final stand. I shook his hand quickly, not really liking the opennes. "Breanna Savitsk," I shortly introduced myself. I then let go of the watchman's hand, quickly telling my address, the real one. I turned away, already staring to hurry to the meeting place I was supposed to go. "Just lock him up for good. I don't want him assassinating me afterwards."

(just as a warning as this is a longer post ill go with third person )

He did his best to put on a polite smile as the girl introduced herself, it even sounded like a real name, off course he had no way of checking that right there on the spot, he was no magician after all. As she rattled of her address he took a mental note, he know the neighborhood it was in, but he hadn't been there recently so he had no mental image of her place, it was a relatively quiet are of the slums though, there weren't many illegal activities and the watch's idea for dealing with that part of the underbelly was pretending that it didn't exist, all in all it did sound like a pretty good place for a thief to live he had to admit. He certainly would drop by to check if it was her real one though. He was about to comment on these little musings of his but the girl, Breanna, he corrected himself, was already taking off telling him to lock her customer up for good.

He just shook his head and went after her, keeping his distance to her, so that he would not be spotted, he was certainly curious who her customer was. Yet he did his best to focus at the task at hand and slowed down slightly as they came closer to the edge of the slums, here the shanty towns bordered the better off houses of the lower middle class, the alleys were dark but at least clean compared to where they had walked before. He was a bit confused though, usually this area was heavily patrolled by the guard yet the streets the two of them walked were empty as if it were a ghost town. He slowed down and switched to one of the even smaller and tighter side alleys as Breanna was now approaching 3 figures waiting for her in the middle of the street. It was hard to make out too many details but Paul started to get nervous as he saw that the person in the middle, a tall and slender one, was wearing a purple cloak, with intricate golden symbols on it.  That garment alone made it obvious that this person was either a noble or a ridiculously rich person, yet paul had no clue what a key of the royal guard would do for that shadowy figure, he assumed that he could find out at a later date. He then settled on the other two specters, both were tall,hed guess 1,80 to 2 meters. With a weirdly slender frame,that made the middle person look almost fat in comparison. At first he struggled to place them but then he was able to take a good look at their armor and weapons and those details made it pretty obvious that these were no human but elves. Paul hesitated, this was getting bigger than a simple robbery and he wasn't sure if hed want to get involved, considering what he had seen he had to admit that a shallow grave was more likely than a promotion and he even though off quietly leaving, but then he realized that he had the key, he had told the thief to come here, at that point he realized that he was stuck in this situation.

The elves already had their hands on their weapons as Breanna approached and Paul doubted that  the girl would get out alive with no key or distraction, these buggers were fast. He walked a few steps and stumbled over something, he looked down and had to suppress a surprised shout, in front of him lay one of the royal guards from earlier with its white armor soiled with blood. He calmed down and began to think, theyd have to get out of here now. He moved his hand towards his axe and got it out, gripping the dark wooden handle with his right hand,while his truncheon rested in his left now, hed at least have to make them slower, he wouldnt stand a chance in a fair fight so he only had one chance. He moved his scarf up so it covered the lower half of his face and he moved out of the alley, he was only a few steps away from the elves and the nobel as he broke into a sprint. the elves heard his steps and were begging to draw their swords but at that point he had closed the distance and buried his axe in the back of the knee of one of the elves, he hit the second one on the head with the truncheon before aiming at the knee with the axe after he had pulled it out, with another motion he brought the truncheon down on the noble and then took off towards the girl dropping the truncheon as he ran. He grabbed her by the arm and ran back towards the slums the elves were slowed and theyd have a bit of time, but thanks to his coat theyd knew he was a watch man and theyd find him. He pulled into a alley near the river and grabbed the key the girl had stolen,tossing it into the river. hed have to leave the city,he had worked himself up to a respected job and in these few minutes he had lost everything again, the anger was clear on his face as he used his coat to clean the axe,tossing the coat into the river as well. He turned around loosening the scarf so that it hang around his neck again. "Ill leave the city if you are smart, youll do the same," he sighed and looked at the long city walls pointing at the gate closest to the river,the slums gate to the world so to speak. " I know the guards at that gate, ill leave through it in 2 hours. If you meet me there i can get you out as well, until than get your most important belongings and get ready to run for a long time" he then left without a word,running through back alleys towards his apartment, he panted hard as he entered it, looking around the sparse interior. he grabbed his heavy coat,some spare clothes, the meager amount of money he had saved, a small dagger and his diary. After he had packed his few belongings into a backpack, he also grabbed a water with attached to a leather string,slinging it across his shoulder,after that he looked the door and placed the key in front of his neighbors door. Now he just tried to make his way to the gate he had told the girl about while also trying to not be seen. He smiled as the guards there already greeted him and he told them about troubles with some old enemies being the reason for him leaving the city, he also said that a friend of his might have to leave as well, and while the guards hesitated for a second they shrugged and mentioned how easy it was to not notice people leaving the city at night. With that he went to an ally and waited there it had now been close to 2 hours since he had last seen the girl and he didnt plan to wait for long but hed have to giver her some time at least, after all he was partially to blame for her being in this situation. And so he did his best to vanish in teh shadows as he waited for Breanna

I felt really weird, walking to my customer knowing someone was following me. I still tried to look as if there wasn't anything wrong, I shouldn't inform the anonymous customer with suspicious acts. He started by asking about the key and I had to talk myself more time. I hoped that the watchman would really do this job well or I would be in a serious pinch. It didn't take long until he had attacked the elves. I just stood there, not sure what to do. Luckily I was almost ready to run away when I was pulled into a quick run. I looked back to see the three figures recovering from the surprise attack. When we stopped, I had to catch my breath. "Wait a..." I started to say as I saw the man was now throwing the key away. It could've been useful even if I didn't have to deliver it now. I huffed, letting it slide. Now the most important thing was not to get caught.

As I ran back to my apartment, several thoughts filled my head. What was I doing? Fifteen years ago I was the rich girl and now I had to run away. The man, who I just couldn't call Paul yet, had helped me but was he trustful enough? I gathered warm clothes, some food and money and tossed them to my bag. I also had to take father's diary and my most important notes. The final item I picked up was my pocket knife, just in case. Now I had to get quickly to the gate. I ran for the millionth time tonight, keeping an eye open for any people. Soon I was there, searching for the man. Not long and I found him in the shadows.

I looked up as the girl arrived carrying her own backpack, at least she had taken to my advice, i had half expected her to be stubborn and try to stay in the city. In my mind i was already going through lists of places where i could hide, i crossed the eastern elven kingdoms of my list seeing as elves had been with that man and i didnt want to run right into their arms. The western deserts, the cold north or the tropical south certainly seamed like better hiding places, but before that id have to get a good distance away from the capital, there were a lot of small towns and news traveled slowly, it was also good news that they shouldn't have seen my face. I nodded at the girl and motioned for her to follow me. I walked through the gate,with the little thief right behind me and true to their words the guards acted as if we didn't exist. I walked calmly along the street and sighed as we were finally out of hearing range from the city gates. The street was empty and illuminated by the moon, he smiled a bit as he looked up at the sky, the smoke from the city being the only thing up there besides the stars, at least he had good weather on his first night on the run. I slowed down slightly so that i walked next to the thief, i looked at her unsure of how to feel about it, after all i would not be in all of this mess if i would not have met her or if she wouldn't have stumbled in the alley,getting my attention in the first place. "  Do you have any clue about the name of the guy that hired you? I mean it didnt look like they wanted you to survive this....." there were more important things at hand but he couldn't help but wonder what this whole mess was about. " Oh and just as a casual question: Do you have any clue where to go now? I mean its not like either of us will just be able to go back now." I look a head again, unsure of what to do with the situation and if it would be better for me to travel alone or if it would be better to travel in a group. " Oh and that i can throw you into prison anymore, was the name and the address real?" it was a pointless question,yet he wanted to know and maybe the talk would kill some of the time as they followed the empty road without a target

I kept looking around feeling a little paranoid about the fact someone would see us. Not like every person knew about the conflict we had caused but it was only a matter of time. Luckily it was night  time so not many was even awake. I was still surprised that the guards paid no mind as we walked through the gate. It kept bugging my mind but after a while I was only happy that it had been that easy. I looked around me, noticing how peaceful the night felt. As if everything had been left inside the city walls.

I slowly turned my eyes to the man when I heard him asking something. "That's why I told you to lock him up," I said in a 'what did I say' tone. "But no, I have no idea about his name. But he must be outside the city, there shouldn't be someone that wealthy I didn't know." That's true. The customer had companions bodyguarding him, elves to be exact. Getting clothes and guards that fine can't be done by someone from the middle-class. And I had a lot of information about the rich society in the area but he wasn't easy to recognize. I had to think a while after the second question. It would be best to stay away from big cities. "I can't tell any specific destination but as long we don't show our faces to too many people we should be alright." One thing we should also keep in mind was to not spend too much time in one place or someone might remember us in case someone, royal guard for example, might ask about us.

For a moment I focused on the road and the surroundings but then I had to look at the watchman again. "Of course. Why would I lie in a situation like that?" I shouted. I mumbled something and looked away. Why was I with him in the first place? I could just run away and be on a run on my own! "Are you really gonna stick with me?" I ask bitterly, my steps getting a bit heavier in frustration.

I laugh a bit, the girl was smart i had to give her that, i agreed with her thinking that the man was from somewhere out of town, the people here rich enough for what he had would have their personal coat of arms on their clothes,but ive never seen that mans colors before.  I roll my eyes at her tone " Oh yes i mean i obviously wanted it to go like that, if you want you can go back and try to arrest him?"i sigh and tap my foot on the road" go on ill wait right here". I try to not get mad at the girl, arguing that she most likely had her reasons for her behavior,i forced my voice to remain calm as i spoke about her second point. " Oh i am quite aware of the basics of hiding away, next thing youll try to tell me how to survive in the slums" i let out a dry laugh at that thought, the girl probably thought that i never struggled in my life or never was in a situation like hers. " Avoiding big cities is smart,id advice you to go for a merchant town,lots of people there than almost never stay for a long time. Oh and i dont know why youd lie, but i also dont know why youd steal for a living,so there are a lot of things i dont know" I was probably meaner than i had to be or should be really, but it was a rough night for me as well. I look at her as she asks bout sticking with her and i laugh again, the sound going through the night " Lets clarify this, so far you are sticking with me and im sorry to disappoint you but at the moment we are just following one of the four roads out of the city, or do you want me to keep a minimum distance from you?" At least the girl offered a fight,so the nightly walk would be entertaining and i could get rid of my frustration. " So listen to me Breanna, at least until the next crossroads we are stuck with each other and even if there is better company for a journey it would be smart to stick together after wards as well, since i doubt that either of us really has enough money for a long journey, oh and im sure you are aware that guy would have killed you once he had the key?" i bit my lip while shaking my head slightly " So sorry for saving you and also sorry for getting you through the gate" With that i accelerated a bit, that girl had a talent for making me mad it seamed

I didn't like where this was going. He just snapped after hearing one comment which I didn't even say to anger him. It was a fact he didn't catch the customer and there wasn't any need to take it personally. Okay, maybe I wasn't one to talk. "I have no intention on getting killed there and you know that," I said, not letting him think I was someone to please him. I continue walking, not paying too much attention to him. "I would be quite sure that I have more experience on hiding and running away from some guards and watchmen like you, I'm a thief if you didn't notice!" Pointing that out I shot a sharp glare at him. I then rolled my eyes and cursed the situation I was in. At least there was one clever thing coming out of his mouth,a merchant town wasn't a bad idea, even if I didn't want to admit it. But i didn't understand why the two of us, complete strangers, a thief and a watchman, should be together out here. 

I didn't really like the way he said my name. After that he listed a long list of things that would answer my question so I had to keep an open ear. Money was a big deal and what he had said was the truth. It still didn't make this less weird or uncomfortable. I felt a sting on my chest when I realized that I really was alive thanks to him. "But all of this wouldn't have happened if you would've just let me go in the first place!" I declare, knowing that it would've been an impossible scenario.

I shake my head and look at her with a laugh " Well i spent 16 years in the slums, but ok ill give you that your most likely better at running away from guards" i smiled a bit,deciding that  should probably lighten the moot a bit, after all neither of us had anything to gain by fighting the other one, even if i didnt want to admit it, my chance were better with her around, off course id die before saying that." You are at least better at running away as long as you dont fall flat on your face next to a watchman" i laugh a bit and slow down so we walk side by side. I laugh and shake my head at Breannas comment. " First off do you think i would have stopped you if i had know the consequences, trust me id rather be in my bed sleeping after my shift, but thats not the case and so I'm stuck out here." i fell silent for a second " And youd be on the run either way, i mean they killed the guards that were after you and i doubt they would have allowed you to continue your live, they struck me as the kind of people that dont leave witnesses behind" I look ahead again,shaking my head, i certainly didnt think that id spent the night on a street out of town,while arguing with a damned thief, yet the girl did make me curious, she wasn't exactly the usual scum from the slum, she seamed as if she had a good education and she did not exactly seam evil,stubborn and hot tempered maybe but not evil. I sigh and shake my head once again " Listen up, if you really want we can split up at the next cross ways,youll go one way and ill go the other and well both run out of money soon,not even 2 weeks in my case, after that both of us will be off a lot worse. So how about this little miss sunshine" off course i couldn't resist teasing you a bit more" We make peace until we are a good distance away from the city and after that you can blame me as much as you want and well go our separate ways." I turn and look at the city gnawing at my lips " Theyll be looking for us soon,after a few days theyll realize weve left the city and then twell be hunted, do you really prefer facing them alone?" I extend my hand towards her " So,what do you say, will we team up for now?"

16 years in the slums? Now I had to think for a while. The watchman has lived in the slums? Did he get traumas and became the law's dog to suppress them? I frowned but mentally shrugged my shoulders, it wasn't any of my business. I almost felt superior when he admitted I was better at running away from the guards but my mood changed quickly. "Seriously? Laugh a little louder, please!" I wanted to hit him. Falling on my face was just an unfortunate coincidence. I decided to ignore any further comments by staring at the road far away.

The key I had stolen led to the weapon storage of the royal guard. Now that I thought it through, it was a good thing the key was missing somewhere in the river. There must be more keys there and my customer could always hire another thief, but that should take some time. Feeling relieved knowing the city wasn't under any immediate danger, I could have a peace of mind for a moment. "You could always steal food," I commented on the money issue, surprised I actually had told a joke. But even with food and possible leftover money, it would be hard to stay in the shadows forever. This deal-lover man didn't seem much of a helper in that situation. "We'll see what we will do," I said, but I still shook his hand. I still had the option to leave him by himself at some point. Not like I wanted to but I might prove to be necessary.

i grin and shake my head, at least the teasing got to hear, that girl seamed rather hot headed, not exactly the cool calculating mind someone would expect from a successful thief, at least her out bursts kept providing some for of entertainment to me.tI was doubtful that  could rely on the girl to stick around but for now I  should put up with her behavior as it really couldn't worsen my situation in the long run. " Oh yes i mean obviously the best way to not draw more attention to our little time in the shadows would be to make sure that we commit more crimes a long the way." I let out a small laugh " But hey until now i wasnt even aware you had a damned sense of humor." I focus on the road ahead once she has shaken my hand, i was quite certain that shed leave me behind as soon as it would fit her purposes, but to be fair i also wouldn't exactly give up my life to save her so we were more or less equal in that regard.

Behind the horizon the cold winter sun began to rise and the wind slowly picked up as we reached the open farm land that over time had formed a farming belt around the city, i pull my scarf up, bot exactly being a fan of the cold wind and lok around, by now there were already some people up, but i was quite certain that wed have a few days before they'd be looking for us, so there was no danger in traveling right now. " Oh i have a basic idea of what ill do. Get to one of the frontier towns that hardly have any contact with the outside world, walk away from that town for half a day and then stay at that place, that seams like the easiest way to stay of the radar." or maybe i could go into the Beyond, the mostly unexplored areas that bordered the central realms, they were only populated by some eccentric people and they were full of danger, but no one would come find him there as far as he knew, even expeditions there were rare. " Should we try to make a good amount of distance and rest at a small inn tonight? or want to save the cash and rest outside?" he was fine with both, but he wondered what Breanna would choose

What neither of them knew off course was that the forces of treason were still happily working at the city, treating the lost key as a minor delay in the grand plan

As hard as it was to believe, I grinned to to him. "It's not my problem if you aren't cunning enough," I laughed, my imagination making the thought even more hilarious. But I didn't think stealing food wasn't an option. If someone had a lot of food, fruits to sell perhaps, an apple or two wouldn't hurt him. My self protection instinct is too strong to mind small things like that. I wouldn't take someone's last bread, though. I quickly switched my expression back to the serious one, not wanting to take this conversation of my sense of humour any further.

The early morning was now arriving and I started to ponder how long it had been when I was last home at night, getting ready to get my hands on the key. I started to feel a bit tired of this all but the wind woke me up immediately. I listened to the man telling about his plans, wandering whether I was supposed to hear this. "I think I'll sleep outside," I answered. Living without a roof on top of my head was a thing I should get used to anyways. We could save money by splitting the amount of money needed for a one person room but that was the last thing I would like to do now. 

I grin back at her and even laugh a bit at her comment. " i was cunning enough to catch you,wasn't i?" The girl had a point once again though and i focus on the orange sun creeping into view while a yawn escapes my lips. I may not like it but if we really had no other option wed probably have to steal at least a loaf of bread or an apple, but I certainly wouldn't steal someones last food and if im being perfectly honest Breanna didn't seam like the kind of person that would do that either.

I yawn again, the Adrenalin that had kept me going was out of my system by now, the lack of sleep and the exhaustion from the night were now setting in. It wouldn't hurt to take pause soon, after all it had been a long night for both of them. I sigh,alone id certainly buy a room,so i guess wed sleep outside, it probably was the smart thing to do, at least until the winter fully hit them. " Yeah i guess well have to turn this into a camping trip for now. Want to keep walking the entire day or should we rest after the next village? If im not mistake we soon should reach the woods and there we should be able to take a break without anyone seeing us. Eat something,drink something and just relax. I mean at least for me it was a long night, then again maybe I'm just getting old" he joked and kept his pace like a robot while looking ahead

I shook my head, sighing at the constant joking on my behalf. I looked around the road and saw that some people were already up, they probably took care of the fields. At first seconds I was seemingly cautious seeing them as I walked with shorter steps but I relaxed when I noticed they didn't even look at us. "I'm fine with a break,' I yawned as well, now falling deeper into the tired mood. Not much later I felt myself hungry. What a timing this was. It would take us a moment to reach the forest but I couldn't help myself already thinking that I had on my bag. I would give soul for a long, nice nap, but I shouldn't give in now. "You sure you can keep going, grandpa?" I teased him as a payback of many jokes about me, I didn't have any clue how old he actually was. But I didn't really wait for an answer when I yawned again. 

I laugh as Breanna teased me and shake my head as we walk into the forest " Hmm i think my old bones could need a small break." I walk off the road and into the woods signaling for the girl to follow me. After a minute we reach a small clearing and i yawn as i sit down,leaning against one of the trees here, i look at the girl and drink from my water bottle. " You wouldnt have something to eat?" he joked and yawned " Listen, you can take a nap,ill watch out and after an hour or so we can switch. After all it would do us no good to fall asleep as we walk. And i may be old but you dont look any better"

He sighed and made himself comfortable, he doubted that keeping watch was needed but better safe than sorry was a proverb for a reason. Furthermore a little nap couldnt really hurt them, they both were tired and hungry and if they pushed on like that it would only get worse, a tired mind was a slow mind as my teacher used to say. Maybe wed also fight less if we both had some sleep,that also couldnt hurt.I keep my mind busy by thinking about what had gotten me into this situation, it was such a weird coincidence, maybe both of us would have been better of if i had just brought her into jail, or if i had ignored her and let her go,  but no off course i had been too stubborn for that and now i was on the run and the only ally i had was a thief that would leave me behind without a second thought

Last edited by a moderator:
When we entered the forest I almost sighed with happiness. I didn't remember when I had last sat down. I sit on the ground after finding a place that wasn't too moist to mess my clothes. My bag had a lot in it so it felt nice to have it off my shoulder. I searched for the food I had taken and threw a piece of bread to Paul, munching on the other half by myself. It was better to give him at least something or who knows how annoying he would be with extremely low blood sugar. I slightly turned my head to observe the forest. The rising sun shifted through the trees and it didn't take long until some birds started to warm up their voices.

I didn't want to eat too much so I decided to leave the rest untouched. I guess I looked as tired I felt but I wasn't so sure about napping though. But on the second thought I would be in the same situation later today, sleeping outside with a stranger by my side. "Just don't wake me up by yelling or something," I mumbled, searching for a comfortable position. Before laying down my back facing the man I slipped the bag over myself and hugged it close my chest just in case. There wasn't trusting him with this one. I yawned loudly and after a while I closed my eyes. Slowly getting used to the uneven surface and the noises of nature I fell asleep before I could properly contemplate last night events. 

I grin as i catch the bread the girl threw towards me, i hadnt expected her to share and i looked at her a bit surprised before nodding " thanks a lot" i take some bites of it, before stopping,guessing that ill have some time to eat it until i wake her up. I chuckle and nod " ill be gentle"  yawn and lean back while looking around, i get my knife out and place it next to me, so that i have it ready at any moment. He smiled as he noticed That Breanna clutched her belongings as if he was going to steal everything from. I certainly would do it and it was an understandable action, still he felt a little sting. Yet i stopped thinking about that and slowly ate the bread i had been given. I spent my time,figuring out what really had happened tonight and how i would behave towards Breanna.

I finish the bread after an hour,maybe an hour and a gad, after all i had no exact way of telling the time and after a few more minutes i stand up and walk towards the girl, usually id go for a loud wake up call, but considering she had specified that she wouldnt like that and that she had shared her food i decide against it. I place a hand on her shoulder and smile as i gently shake her " Time to wake up, Breanna" i yawn and walk back towards the tree before i lay down,i shift around and use my scarf combined with my back pack as a pillow " Just wake up in an hour or so" i was already drifting off as i spoke,my dreams dominated by alternative realities where this nigh hasnt happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Back