• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Night Fall

ERode

In The Mirror
4ouGayn.png

Once, the Sun set and lost its twin.

Once, the Moon rose and was never full again.

Days turned dark, Nights shone bright.

The end of their era was nigh.

On a night now mythologized, the moon turned black, and the aurora drowned out starlight and city lights. Bathed in its viscous hues, life itself changed, warped by a corroding force into a monstrous visage. It was as if the gift of sentience, of thought, was stolen away. Pets turned on their owners. Vermin surged out from the sewers. Crows descended, mauling the unsuspecting. A madness came with that evolution, a curse that pulled out instincts of violence and predation, of aggression. Humans, of course, were no exception, their forms twisted: skin replaced by scale, horns sprouting from where there ought not to be, flesh doubling, tripling in mass, minds set to massacre.

It was a tide of insanity, one that started at the tip of Russia, one that swept westward, as surely as a guillotine to a neck. Real-time news covered the phenomena, but none could outrun the coming of the night. Only ruination remained, prayers unanswered. By the time that one night ended, civilization too had ended, leaving only metropolises filled with monsters, wilderness perpetually changed.

But humanity itself did not end.

Some sheltered in decades-old bunkers. Others sheltered in deep mines and caves. More crawled into the sewers and catacombs. Hiding from the Bright Nights, struggling during the Dark Days. Fearing the sunset, dreading daybreak. But living on regardless, communities of survivors gradually connecting with one another, gradually learning of the monsters that dominated the surface. What was unknown became known. What was supernatural became natural. What was a threat turned into a weapon. What was madness turned into Lunacy.

It was a desperate measure, a fool’s gambit, to extract a certain fluid from the corpses of monsters. To turn that fluid into a serum, one injected into human patients. To willingly allow one’s body to warp and change, to shed one’s humanity for the betterment of humanity.

Yet it paid off, and the first generation of Lunatics, humans who possessed powers once considered supernatural, became the vanguard that allowed their kind to take to the surface once more. They fought back the tides, they built grand strongholds, they guarded the cradle from which civilization could begin anew! When the night fell, they resisted the aurora’s corruption, travelling onwards still to shepherd more remnants to their city!

Their desires burned in place of the stars they had lost.

Their convictions were the steel that severed the night.

Upon their shoulders rested the reclamation of all that had been lost.

7vaCJV4.png

281 years have elapsed since the Nightfall.

The Foundation is now the bedrock upon which society rests. Anti-Lunacy Beacons light up the night, allowing humans to reclaim the night once more. Mounted guns stand upon meters-thick walls, while powered suits grant flesh-and-bone humans the strength to stand against the monsters within the Outlands. Whatever weight rested upon the shoulders of the Lunatics now laid in the hands of the collective, and those once-heroes had become outcasts themselves, feared by society as beings more beholden to personal desires than the greater good, beings who blurred the lines between monster and man.

For such irregular pieces, only irregular work remained.

Some became criminals, living beyond the law as players within the gangs that slipped beneath the gaze of the Foundation. Others monetized their supernatural gifts as much as they could, performing miracles still unachievable by means of science, and receiving heavy taxes in response. A few exceptions were scouted by the Foundation itself, given preferential treatment but heavy restrictions. Most, however, became Couriers, commissioned with traversing the Outlands to delivery packages from city to city or investigate and resolve anomalies detected before they can crash against city walls.

That, indeed, is what you are.

A C-Rank Lunatic, an expendable piece with only a few commissions under your belt. Perhaps you threw away your humanity in pursuit of an otherwise impossible dream. Perhaps you injected yourself with a vial of Moondrop so that you had the strength to stand up once more. Perhaps you didn’t understand the ramifications of your decisions, only that it would make more money than toiling away beneath the mill that ground ambition to dust. Regardless of your circumstances, one thing remains a constant.

The Foundation cares not for what lead you here.

It only cares that the job is done.

Eyo, welcome.

Inspirations are Choujin X, Path to Nowhere, and whatever the hell Ferry's been cooking. Fundamentally, it's an action-adventure set in a post-apocalyptic setting, where a band of nameless superhumans find themselves gradually involved in conspiracies, shadowy organizations, and the machinations of the anomaly that caused the world to change so greatly.

While I'm not 100% on what vibes I'm going for in particular, I'm 100% certain that I'm not going towards grimdark shenanigans filled with pure despair. Your characters are individuals who, in their own way, would rather change the world than change themselves, if that makes sense. They'll still go through plenty of shit though.

Expectations for posting speeds are gonna be once a week, at the minimum. If y'all can post faster than that, I can probably increase the pace too. In terms of group numbers, it's my intention that the PCs are all part of a single company/team, so probably won't be accepting past 10 people.

If y'all got questions about the setting, go shoot. Always happy to answer questions while I turn my notes into a Lore thread.

I was thinking of starting Choujin today too so I'm taking this thread as a sign lmao

A few questions:
1. Where will the OOC be taking place?
2. I'm assuming it'll be covered in the lore, but what's Moondrop?
3. Realistic, drawn, or descriptions for face claims?
4. In what time period did Nightfall occur? How is the tech level now? Obviously there's guns, power suits, and the beacons but in terms of like broadcasting, vehicles, and utilities.
5. Are there going to be set/specialized roles for characters or is everyone pretty much a courier?

Steve Jobs Steve Jobs

OOC will be on Discord, though there’ll be a thread on RPN too in case I need to long-post stuff.

Moondrop is the name of the serum that converts humans to Lunatics. The Foundation has the facilities to create the official version, which is very safe and stable, but various black market dealers will give you access to knock-off variants that are cheaper and easier to get, in exchange for side effects that mostly have to do with death or fates worse than that.

Faceclaims be anime hijinks. Written description to supplement if necessary.

Nightfall occurred during basically the 21st century. Technology post-Nightfall has gotten to the point where yah got land-based war machines and power armored infantry, with a greater lean towards mechanized melee weapons or reusable ranged weapons. Communications is radio-based, so relatively short. Basically, think that for every radio relay point, you’d need a whole ass stronghold to guard it. Like water and electricity are more or less back up to 21st century standards, though degraded in availability and consistency outside of a city’s core. Population rises but they can’t expand the walls too easily, while the influential don’t want to be surrounded by construction, so you end up with a secondary wall of haphazardly built complexes that definitely aren’t designed to provide quality utilities.

In terms of vehicles, it’s largely electric, and only land vehicles. The ocean is a nightmare that’s best ignored, while taking to the skies means getting even closer to the aurora and its Lunacy.

Everyone’s a Courier, but you can otherwise have specialized in particular jobs, gaining specific skills in the process. You can basically think of it as…any job that humans aren’t comfortable or capable of doing is an opportunity for a Courier to make money. Some Shadowrunner shenanigans n all. I’m not establishing particular roles to be filled though, and it’s fine to just be an amateur.

It might be neat to try something on the darker side for a change.

So injecting monster juice: is that just a physical/immunity boost, or more of a "gain a unique superpower" type thing?

Count me in as well :3 The Lunacy injection aspect is very interesting, reminds me a bit of AOT!

Tau Tau
It's all the above. You get a general boost to your physicals so you don't get immediately bodied by animals on steroids, you get a resistance to the effects of Lunacy which basically only goes as far as your desire to resist it, and you get a superhuman ability.

The ability itself can be broadly categorized as Transformation or Creation, with the main deciding factor being whether it manifests from your body or if it manifests outside your body. Simple example would be the Transformation ability to become a bird or sweat out poisons versus the Creation ability to remotely explode things via snapping your fingers or create gemstones from nothingness. Transformation abilities generally end up granting a bigger physical boost, Creation abilities generally don't permanently create things.

ICly, the Foundation is the one that sets such categorizations. Not all of them neatly fit in one category or the other, but having a Hybrid classification would simply be too vague to be useful.

Lore thread will probably be up tonight then. Thanks for the interest thus far, y'all.

Aquarin Aquarin Spoiled Bread Spoiled Bread Klown Klown Seraphine Seraphine Skyswimsky Skyswimsky Tau Tau TheRealAngeloftheStorm TheRealAngeloftheStorm Resting Witch Face Resting Witch Face Steve Jobs Steve Jobs SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles

Took longer than expected because wew, didn't think I'd get so busy just after the final exams. Anyhow, ended up being a fair bit less information-dense than I thought it'd be, so if there's any questions, feel free to fire em. I'll get the Discord and a thread for applications set up tomorrow, hopefully early-ish.

Also, just so y'all are aware, I'm being purposefully vague able actual concrete settings here. This is mostly to keep things flexible with character backstories and such.

Balling. I like the vagueness; not everything has to be explained outright. Now, off to hunt for anime hijinks...

Spoiled Bread Spoiled Bread Lunatics can do so without any real preparation, but the taste is a gamble. Eccentrics and gourmets can also do so with preparation, but they're only eating the bits that have not been sufficiently mutated, and in those cases they're really just tasting the seasoning or the gravy/sauce. In most other cases, people wouldn't even think about eating the Lunacy-dyed.

Aquarin Aquarin Flora has been affected indirectly, in that they are transformed by monsters rather than by the Bright Night. Think like the process of a beast marking its territory, except with more drastic changes. Ambush predators may end up with dense foliage that moves with the suggestion of a living thing, to better mask their own movements, while steel-like brambles may emerge from the brush that a creature with the defenses to already handle such brambles without issue would dwell in. Now, imagine those individual domains and transformations, except all mashed together and competing to outdo each other.

When a sufficiently large amount of monsters are purged from a particular area, the effect they have on the environment gradually disappears. That's basically also part of humanity's reclamation of territory.

I operate under the presumption that there will always be ghosts and dropouts, so you’re free to pop your head in the Discord, sure

I’ll pop into the discord whenever I get better service, I’m currently in the middle of nowhere with little reception

Hiya! I'm interested, but I do not possess a Discord. Can I still partake in said adventure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back