• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern New Civilizations 1st Edition OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Oh right, the world map is here, folks!

You know, the most difficult part of studying Japanese is to understand the difference between the particles "de" and "ni". De incidates the tool, language or mode of transport used to complete an action as well as the location of an action. Ni, on the other hand, indicates the location of someone or something. The confusing thing is that (both of) these can sometimes be translated as "in", "at", and "on". Here are two examples of them below.

• De: Terebi de Naruto wo mimasu. (I (will) watch Naruto on TV.)
  • Ni: Gakkou ni gakusei ga imashita. (There were students at school.)

Hopefully, I should understand those differences now. Japanese is so freaking hard! XD

Oh, finicky! I love learning things like this about other languages’ grammar. It’s always so interesting.

Well, it gets easier by the time you are on your 5th language. For me it is SPEAKING a language that is harder than all the grammar, spelling, etc.

Agreed! Listening to spoken language is the hardest part for me.
Used to be my job. That, plus writing everything down. Stressful days were 3 minute pages - with times to the second noted in writing as well - plus page headers and identification of each speaker ... live.

Agreed! Listening to spoken language is the hardest part for me.
Not to mention, I even tried learning Indonesian but I gave up because it was getting harder for me and that was when I started using Duolingo which I later stopped using it because of how "textbooky" it was. It's such a shame considering that it's a somewhat simple language to learn unlike Japanese and Chinese, difficulty scale-wise. But as for me, I got unmotivated with it. lol

I never really considered myself to have good manual dexterity. So writing, typing, etc .... not my thing.

Tech school, passing was 70%. I missed a single thing in writing - accidentally switched an O and an A in haste.

OJT - Passing is now 85%
Cat 1 Op - status after a couple weeks, before going live on the Line with real time voice traffic. Got chewed out for looking tired all the time. Turns out I was supposed to get a week to adjust to moving from CST to GMT+1. I had 48 hours filled with Orientation and gas mask training.

Cat 2 - tested after a month live.

Cat 3 - tested after 6 month live.

Cat 3X - Highest level most ops ever achieve. There was a mythological Cat 4, but I only knew one person who could have ever qualified. Cat 3X was a fun story for me. I had a supervisor who hated me. Well they tested me after 6 months. I finally failed a test. We were allowed 30 days to retest or be reassigned to a new career or discharged.

My supervisor told me not to worry about it. I would be reassigned to be a computer programmer, something I actually wanted. I told him I would keep working at it - as it was still my job. The day I was supposed to retest, I had pneumonia and was at the hospital. My supervisor showed up pissed and ready to charge me with being AWOL. I showed him orders from a Captain that had put me on quarters and he backpedaled fast.

I went in early the next morning (rode my bike 7.1 miles), sat down and warmed up. I ended up passing with flying colors. That CAT 4 person? I had seen her for advice to improve my skills. (She happened to be my supervisors GF. Haha!) I had like a 95%

Turns out they had tried to do this with a bunch of others folks. Noone else passed. They had been experimenting with us. We were supposed to get 1 full year to get from Cat 3 to 3X. They went back to the year program after that. I was the one and only person to get there in 6 months.

I never really considered myself to have good manual dexterity. So writing, typing, etc .... not my thing.

Tech school, passing was 70%. I missed a single thing in writing - accidentally switched an O and an A in haste.

OJT - Passing is now 85%
Cat 1 Op - status after a couple weeks, before going live on the Line with real time voice traffic. Got chewed out for looking tired all the time. Turns out I was supposed to get a week to adjust to moving from CST to GMT+1. I had 48 hours filled with Orientation and gas mask training.

Cat 2 - tested after a month live.

Cat 3 - tested after 6 month live.

Cat 3X - Highest level most ops ever achieve. There was a mythological Cat 4, but I only knew one person who could have ever qualified. Cat 3X was a fun story for me. I had a supervisor who hated me. Well they tested me after 6 months. I finally failed a test. We were allowed 30 days to retest or be reassigned to a new career or discharged.

My supervisor told me not to worry about it. I would be reassigned to be a computer programmer, something I actually wanted. I told him I would keep working at it - as it was still my job. The day I was supposed to retest, I had pneumonia and was at the hospital. My supervisor showed up pissed and ready to charge me with being AWOL. I showed him orders from a Captain that had put me on quarters and he backpedaled fast.

I went in early the next morning (rode my bike 7.1 miles), sat down and warmed up. I ended up passing with flying colors. That CAT 4 person? I had seen her for advice to improve my skills. (She happened to be my supervisors GF. Haha!) I had like a 95%

Turns out they had tried to do this with a bunch of others folks. Noone else passed. They had been experimenting with us. We were supposed to get 1 full year to get from Cat 3 to 3X. They went back to the year program after that. I was the one and only person to get there in 6 months.
That's tough...

Tough? Sure. Not fair? Just like life. I never complained. Felt pretty vindicated afterwards. Sucked not becoming a computer programmer. But failure simply wasn't in my vocabulary.

As to being harsh ... how would you feel about having your military leaders advising the President with bad info because the linguist missed a few words?

Tough? Sure. Not fair? Just like life. I never complained. Felt pretty vindicated afterwards. Sucked not becoming a computer programmer. But failure simply wasn't in my vocabulary.

As to being harsh ... how would you feel about having your military leaders advising the President with bad info because the linguist missed a few words?
I would probably say try not to give up and do your best, I guess. Maybe? lol

Oh .. more of an on topic question. Should we go ahead and open up the RP to move forward a year or so for those who start with no primitive skills? Not saying we should HAVE to jump forward. RB and I could move along the way we are and we'd get there - a month there, a few there. I could easily move forward months at a time myself. I do have some moments I shouldn't just gloss over.

Just wondering how much detail people want to go through for their early development. Just a thought.

Oh .. more of an on topic question. Should we go ahead and open up the RP to move forward a year or so for those who start with no primitive skills? Not saying we should HAVE to jump forward. RB and I could move along the way we are and we'd get there - a month there, a few there. I could easily move forward months at a time myself. I do have some moments I shouldn't just gloss over.

Just wondering how much detail people want to go through for their early development. Just a thought.
Of course, I don't mind at all!

I used to visit towns where they had a central well, a community oven, no electricity. I also visited a place where some farmers lived in caves carved from sedimentary rock that was volcanic in nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back