• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy New Atlantis Characters

Nature magic capable of summoning that which he has cataloged and studied at least for plants. Animal summoning only happens when he has the animal with prior control, tamed by himself. His summons are a lion, a bear, and a Great Dane. This is mainly limited by the fact he can only summon one animal at a time and maintain it for half an hour. Plants on the other he is limited by the fact he can only grow a plant to its natural length, and only grow out one plant at a time. The rate of growth however is rather quick.
E rank sustainability
A rank adaptability
B rank increment capacity
B rank fundamental control
D rank area of effect
C rank special
D rank weakness

2+10+8+8+4+6+4-2= 20+4+10= 34 , much better but still four points above the maximum

with the fundamental control now at C rank, your ability is at 30 points and thus approved as an A rank ability. Your have 24 points to spend on stats. Remember that different stats have different amounts of points required for a single rank.

I'm not sure on how that part works however Idea. Does that mean I get to select a few stats myself and set their level? Is there a limit on how high I can make them and on how many?

I'm not sure on how that part works however Idea. Does that mean I get to select a few stats myself and set their level? Is there a limit on how high I can make them and on how many?
as I just said...
you have 24 points. Some stats require more points to gain a rank in than others. Ranks go from F (with 0 points) to A. So long as you use only your available points, you can distribute them however you like across the stats

-WORK IN PROGRESS-

Quote: "Caring isn't just about shit, caring is about learning to love that shit."
Name: Verros
Title/Nicknames/Alternative Names: Pig-man (derogatory)
Sexual Orientation: Possibly bisexual, bicurious
Race: Mutant, Human-Boar hybrid
Occupation: General labourer - by 'labour', I mean Verros puts his natural build to good use. Being tall and broad naturally, heavy-lifting jobs (transport of goods, warehouse footwork, etc) are what he finds himself doing, as he does not have to be face-to-face with the public and only those he answers to. Verros finds work through a temping agency. Low pay. Also: Hero of the People
Guild Affliation: Punk Guild - Verros has encountered his own hostilities in life and, as well as being slightly resentful of them, he was built into a man with an empathetic heart. As such, he does what he can for people who were in his position. However, he tries not to do anything big in public, worried those he may be helping will turn away from his aid once they see him. Verros can be rather selfish, though, so, if given a job to do, he'd rarely let anyone help him in it.
Appearance:
View media item 24912Clarification: Verros lives in an uncomfortable mixture of a human and boar body. With tusks that emerge from his cheekbones rather than his mouth, a snout and wiry fuzz all over the majority of his body, he casts an intimidating and fear-inducing shadow. However, his human base genetics are still strong, as the palms of his hands, soles of his feet, most of his face and an area of his chest lack this hair. His hair is a vicious widow's peak, a darker brown than the greyish colour of his body hair. A very masculine jaw and large frame make him seem more like a bodyguard than a philanthropic and sympathetic mutant of the slums.
Clothes: Verros will usually wear some cheap short-sleeved shirt, whatever's to be found in his size in some bargain bin. His favourite trousers are too small for him, though they're the only decent pair he has - dark grey combats. He wears sandals over bare feet so they're somewhat exposed to the air and can breathe.
Personality: Verros' personality couldn't be more different than his physical appearance. What he does is he cares. Cares and tries to look after. He is not educated, because he grew up on a different side of society than he is on now. As such, Verros knows little about the world, or even what to do in it. His concept of value is skewed, so he often finds himself without money or some such concept without realising. To him, friends are as throwaway as anything else, so, while he might connect with someone, should he lose contact with them he'd consider them gone from his life. Even those he tries to help seem to be rather unimportant in his eyes. But this is not a feeling borne of cruelty - it is a feeling brought on by his life experience.

Verros struggles with his feral, boar side and its disconnect from his base human side. He can be gentle, empathetic and would extend a hand instantly to someone in need, but, conversely, he tends to get frustrated incredibly easily. While anger doesn't seem to come very often, frustration and resentment seem to soar in his mind. The only relationships Verros would truly remember are those in which he was wronged. Make an enemy of Verros and you'll have an enemy for life. Help Verros and you'd see effort. But he would not try to extend favours further than they were extended to him.
Likes: Individualism, the colour gold, haircuts, waking up with the birds, sunsets and sunrises, puddles.
Dislikes: Having to keep his tusks short, people staring, bills, the rain.
Fears: Afraid he'll become something bad in the eyes of people, like an urban legend. Afraid he'll be hunted. Afraid of fire.
Items: Tusk-file (heavy-duty steel), Tusk-dye (dyes his tusks purple at the tips after every filing session - a habit he has retained even after swapping over from the mutant/boar slum society into New Atlantis), a hooded waterproof cape to keep the rain off and to potentially hide his face (he knows rain is bad for him as it makes his hair stink), a small knife (used mainly to keep his tough body hair in order, though a potential weapon too.)
Power Type: Racial Power
Power:
Feral Behaviour - Verros' boar side grants him some of the strength and fury of the animal, as much as his human-shaped body will allow. Should he chose to, Verros can tap into his identity, pulling out the aggression and steadfastness of a boar. He will charge, using his weight to his advantage. However, because of the seemingly blind stubbornness, running from battle wouldn't be an option. This also gives him an erudite understanding of how to use his tusks either in battle or everyday life.
Stats: -TO COME-
Skills:
Careful Hands - From years of tusk maintenance and tusk dying, Verros has quite steady hands. They have to be, otherwise he'd definitely hurt himself. This would aid him in practical-based things (knot-tying/untying, attaching tiny things together, carefully avoiding delicate objects if reaching near them) but nothing that he needs other knowledge for (surgery, mechanics, etc) because he does not have that knowledge.
Relationships: Scrapyard Joe - Verros would not hesitate to go to one of the leaders of the Punk Guild to attempt to help his fellow man. Seems to prefer Joe to the Brooker, perhaps because of the scrapyard environment. Verros grew up in the dirt.
Theme Song: -NONE YET, POTENTIALLY COMING-
Other: Verros has three piercings in each ear - two rings, then a chain from his earlobes that wrap around his tusks. These final two serve no purpose practically, but seem to remind Verros that he is both boar and human, and perhaps that coexistence is possible.

This took me an hour and a half to put together? Good lord.
Idea Idea I asked about a human-animal hybrid in the Suggestions thread, but I'm uploading the CS because I don't want to lose it anywhere suddenly.

Last edited:
Feral Behaviour - Verros' boar side grants him some of the strength and fury of the animal, as much as his human-shaped body will allow. Should he chose to, Verros can tap into his identity, pulling out the aggression and steadfastness of a boar. He will charge, using his weight to his advantage. However, because of the seemingly blind stubbornness, running from battle wouldn't be an option.
Thick Skin - His strong hair and hard skin give his hide a slightly tougher feel than normal human skin. It seems to be most tough on his back, his legs and arms, and wounds inflicted would need to dig deeper than usual to cause bleeding. However, his face, chest and the palms of his hands are as delicate as usual.
only 1 power is allowed

Strong Body - Verros would have strength and weight behind an attack. However, he is not trained in any real way, meaning his offensive attacks would hit hard but be amateurish at best.
this is determined by stats, not by skills, so it can´t be used as a skill

Careful Hands - From years of tusk maintenance and tusk dying, Verros has quite steady hands. They have to be, otherwise he'd definitely hurt himself.
what?

Tusk Use - Verros finds his tusks very useful for opening things like boxes, milk cartons or anything that needs puncturing. He will also mark his territory by scraping his tusks on his areas, another instinct brought forward. As such, his movements in order to use his tusks are somewhat honed.
this is just quirky behavior, not a particular skill....

Idea Idea I believe "careful hands" means dexterity - skill with fine hand movements and precision tool operation. A talent useful for painting, drawing, calligraphy, making surgical incisions, tattooing, tying knots and so on.

Idea Idea I believe "careful hands" means dexterity - skill with fine hand movements and precision tool operation. A talent useful for painting, drawing, calligraphy, making surgical incisions, tattooing, tying knots and so on.
if it is that, then it´s not allowed at all. that´s doing way too many things at once

if it is that, then it´s not allowed at all. that´s doing way too many things at once

Depends on the usage. Personally, I wouldn't see an issue with it as long as it isn't used in-combat or in situations closely associated with combat. Maybe surgical skill is going a bit far - but I'd be supportive of having such a talent in terms of "artistic talent" as part of a hobby. Give the big, mean, gruff chap a little creative flair. Adds flavour to the character without giving them advantages.

I had a character a while back that had skill in handwriting and a little calligraphy. It was fun because he was gruff, down-to-earth and pretty damn crude - but his parents had taught him plenty of handwriting and he took a class in art at school where he practiced. So when the jovial, casual fuckboy started writing pretty and stylized notes - everyone got something of a shock, which was really fun.

Depends on the usage. Personally, I wouldn't see an issue with it as long as it isn't used in-combat or in situations closely associated with combat. Maybe surgical skill is going a bit far - but I'd be supportive of having such a talent in terms of "artistic talent" as part of a hobby. Give the big, mean, gruff chap a little creative flair. Adds flavour to the character without giving them advantages.

I had a character a while back that had skill in handwriting and a little calligraphy. It was fun because he was gruff, down-to-earth and pretty damn crude - but his parents had taught him plenty of handwriting and he took a class in art at school where he practiced. So when the jovial, casual fuckboy started writing pretty and stylized notes - everyone got something of a shock, which was really fun.
he can have artistic talent, and he could even have surgical skills, and all of those others things you suggested: just not all at once and specially not all given by just one skill slot, even more so considering that is a tier 0 slot

he can have artistic talent, and he could even have surgical skills, and all of those others things you suggested: just not all at once and specially not all given by just one skill slot, even more so considering that is a tier 0 slot

Eh, I think I may have misrepresented 0stinato 0stinato with my earlier posts. Sorry 'bout that.

I'll try explain myself better, because I haven't done a good job of it thus far. I think "Steady hands" wouldn't so much as give the character artistic talent and surgical skills - merely assist with those skills if they were already present. Steady hands doesn't mean you know how to draw or paint - but it means that if you do know how to draw or paint as one of your other skills, you're slightly better at it. It means if you already know how to perform surgery, then you're more efficient at it. But you need to know how to use a scalpel first - you still need practice with the tool in particular and you still have a ton of medical education to undergo. It doesn't mean you know how to paint - you still need to learn perspective and shading and mixing colours first, it just means that you're a little more accurate when you do know how to paint.

With that said - I don't think steady hands would benefit the character much, if at all in the current state. As mentioned above. The character doesn't have any listed artistic skills, they don't have any surgical skills, they don't have any skill in building a ship-in-a-bottle or survival skills where they might learn to tie knots. If you were to put a number to it - a rank 0 in steady hands might give a 5-10% boost to artistic skills, surgical skills, constructing small-scale replicas and so on - but only if those skills are taken independent of this skill.

0stinato 0stinato please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in any of this. I'm making plenty of assumptions here, but you're the only one who knows what you intended by "Steady hands".

I will make clear what he can and can't do. Obviously he wouldn't be doing surgical things, but more practical things like, as you said, knots might be in his skill range. Just small things like that, nothing that would make him able to do surgery or hot wire a car (he hasn't the practice or the knowledge of those things, after all).

0stinato 0stinato sidenote that I forgot to mention - we can't see your images that you link.

Or at least - I can't. Don't have permission. I'm assuming others get the same?

0stinato 0stinato sidenote that I forgot to mention - we can't see your images that you link.

Or at least - I can't. Don't have permission. I'm assuming others get the same?

Mm, sorry about that - I didn't realise making a gallery private would do that. Give me a second.

{WIP}

Quote: "We're just people, living life, trying to do the right thing. But I guess we can only speak for ourselves."
Name: Leo Valkas
Title/Nicknames/Alternative Names:
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Race: Cyborg/Human
Guild Affiliation:
Appearance: The face of Leo Valkas is ever changing, but a few features stay the same. He is always a male. He always has a snub-like nose, much like an elf. He always has small ears, much like a young person does. His eyes and teeth are always changing, shifting, something that has always been unsatisfactory to him. Mouths were never his thing, he always found them strange. To speak, to have an orifice in your face perform two functions that dictate life itself. Three actually, if you don't have a nose. Another notable feature while he's on the job is his choice of attire. He never really bears any clothes, he just imagines them up. Cashmere sweaters, khaki pants, maybe a pair of ripped jeans and black t-shirt if he feels kinda punk that day. His height is inconsistent, and so is his hair. Why have one style when you can have all of them? The color of his skin doesn't matter, since all but his eyes have a silvery sheen to them, his eyes instead being pure, radiant white. Somewhat unsettling, but there isn't much he can choose to do about it, other than close his eyes.
Costume: [Coming soon!]
Personality: Leo is a 'eccentric thinker' if you could call his vapid impulse that. Rarely does he ever think with consideration, or with a modicum of conscience before he acts. Not that he acts without some reason of course, you shouldn't hop into a pool of magma ever, but he does forgo some social cues that would otherwise be assumed to be natural. Should you meet him, he might poke you in the nose. Why? Not many know why, but he may just come off laughing from your reaction. Many find him to be an annoying prick, but in most intentions he doesn't mean any harm, as he just seeks personal enjoyment and a break from the mundane.

(2nd paragraph soon)
Dislikes: (at least 3)
Fears: (at least 2) {S}
Items: (non-combat related, combat related items go into skills or are bought in the shops) {S- only for hidden items}
Power Type:
Power: A silvery sheen of an unknown, alien material coats his body, in which it hardens his skin exponentially, making him a very tough combatant. Not only does this material allow him to withstand most small arms fire, but this material also is organic as well, able to change it's typical silvery appearance to something more fitting to the environment, much like that of a chameleon.
Mana Costs: (what parts cost what) [Coming soon]
Stats: [Coming soon]
Skills: {S} (this is referring to hero skills) [Coming soon]
Relationships: [Coming soon]
Theme Song: (optional) [Coming soon]
Other: {S} [NaBrO]

Last edited:
if you want, sure. it's nice to have criticism on a power, and get a basic idea for the type of stat line it should have, and make it un-OP. do note that is is a {WIP} so the character may be subject to further changes.

aslo, i don't know what to give him for a weakness. liquid metal is pretty hard to touch, and i don't know how to change that to make him more subject to attacks.

if you want, sure. it's nice to have criticism on a power, and get a basic idea for the type of stat line it should have, and make it un-OP. do note that is is a {WIP} so the character may be subject to further changes.

aslo, i don't know what to give him for a weakness. liquid metal is pretty hard to touch, and i don't know how to change that to make him more subject to attacks.
If it is that the power passes at all. All I need to rate a power is to know if the power itself is finished yet though (you can't fill stats until you know what ranking the power is afterall)

well, sure. the basic idea is that this guy is made of metal, and can do metal stuff. like fit under doorways, make bullets from himself, shoot himself out at other people, and be incredibly douchebaggy about it. i have everything there, so yes, it is finished.
Idea Idea

Being made entirely of silver, he is able to control silver within arm's reach of him. This ability is incredibly useful for the simple fact that he can shift his liquid form (which is able to keep the silver at room temperature) as he pleases, making sliding under door cracks a possibility, yet also granting him most weapons he can think of (As long as he has the gunpowder to do so.) This is controlled via his own whim, which is also what lead him to become a designer, since the very designs that take many artists and engineers hours to create take him only seconds.
OP rank sustainability
OP rank adaptability
C rank destructive potential
C rank speed
B rank defense
C rank increment capacity
B rank deadliness
B rank fundamental control
E rank area of effect
D rank special

you need to downgrade the two OP ranks

Assuming they lower to A rank...
10+10+6+6+8+6+8+8+2=20+12+14+16+2+4=68, 38 points above the limit

and I was being generous in a lot of those rankings already...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back