• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Necrotis Resurgent

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(My introduction is somewhat lengthy, so if you're a TL-DR kinda guy, just skip to the big red letters reading "TL-DR".)

The journey from your bed to the couch was a ponderous one; you must be getting out of shape. Or perhaps it's something more sinister? Time will tell. Comfortable enough in the polyester-lined futon, you flick the flatscreen on and watch as the Vizio logo fades into black. Your brows furrow and your throat makes a gurgling noise as you witness another one of those Doomsday Preppers shows. They've been airing with drastically increased frequency since the Cordyceps outbreak perhaps two months ago.

You change the channel with contempt, the glistening mug in your hand hot with black coffee. The TV switches to reveal another documentary channel now plagued with plagues involving the previously mentioned fungus. The vast majority of channels nowadays hosts nothing save Cordyceps propaganda nearly twenty-four-seven. Even the kids shows feature episodes riddled with hidden messages. You can still remember that one time when Spongebob got tricked into running around the town naked and biting Patrick by some new C.C. character. Clever.

The show features an elderly man in a freshly ironed and neatly tailored black suit conversing with an equally well-groomed and well-dressed young man (well, he's likely in his early thirties, but he's damn young for a groundbreaking scientists. Rumors has it he boasts an IQ of 205. But you don't believe in IQ tests). The elder proposes a question, and an entire conversation ensues.

"Were you surprised the fungus had progressed so quickly to Africa and Europe, Dr. Ellington?" The old man's voice is steady and contemplative, it reminds you of Dumbledore.

"Fair enough, though not particularly." The scientist replies, his voice deep and bold, his arms and legs intertwined in intellectual thought. You can almost see the brilliance radiating through his gray eyes.

"Fungal specimen reproduce and populate by dispersion of spores, which usually can only sustain short ranges. Although since Asia is such an abundantly compact country, I can't say the fungus didn't have innumerable chances to disperse. Then you have Africa, which is in development and hosts sub-par hygienic standards, and Europe which literally has no geographical barriers just sitting there."

The elder nods in though before continuing. "An insightful inference. Were you at all surprised when it reached American shores, though?"

Dr. Ellington casts his eyes down and looks about the floor in thought. "Yes. Yes, I was. Generally fungi don't travel globally unless, well, they never do, really. I was stupefied when I heard some Asiatic pathogen had reached the American heartland. But..." The doctor cocks his eyebrows in a look of surprise and perhaps even fear.

"I had never expected it to be so virulent, so aggressive."

"And were you surprised when so-called 'radical' estimations reached a twenty percent infection rate across the country?"

"I was. At first, I shunned such reckonings. The CDC foretold reports of a meager five percent - which was still disconcerting mind you, but nothing close to twenty percent. Then I... Seen it for myself. An... Anonymous source, messaged me literally hundreds of videos and images describing massacre and infection. Turns out, they weren't so radical after all. Almost the entire east coast had been ravaged by Cordyceps Resurgent by the time I looked for myself. I was mortified."

The host uncomfortably twiddles his thumbs, a look of worry and concern opaque on his wizened face. "Were you surprised when the... Symptoms, revealed themselves?"

The scientist's face goes pallid. He uncomfortably shifts in his chair, fixing the edges of his white labcoat. "I'll be honest. I wasn't just surprised, rather disturbed. Mortified, even. I've been a scientist for fifteen years now, I've seen hundreds if not thousands of ravenous flesh-eating diseases and even insanity-inducing pathogens such as weaponized rabies. But this... This is something entirely different."

The man's word echo in your mind and you mull it over, each reiteration inspiring a sense of dread and horror building inside you. Uncomfortable with such a sensation, you grunt and reach for your remote. You've only just touched the black matte before the conversation is abruptly interrupted by a white background and a red banner reading "NATIONAL EMERGENCY".

Fuck. Damn. Shit.

After a few seconds the message transitions to that of a meticulously groomed young brunette woman in a minimalistic yet subtly promiscuous suit clasping a microphone with blanch knuckles. Her accent is distinctly English-borne, and refined to be pleasing to the human ear. The woman nods at someone behind the camera, her hazel eyes lit with worry, and speaks.

"The President of the United Sates, Joseph Klain, h-has enacted martial law and released a direct order from the Oval Office that all civilians are to report to their city's town halls. Town halls will be equipped to accommodate larger crowds, particularly in greater cities such as NYC. I-I repeat, the President has enacted martial law and released a direct order for all civilians to immediately report to their city's town halls. This is... This is Jane Valderamma, reporting in for WGFX-11 News. Good night, and god bless."

The woman and her desk fades back into the sliding 'NATIONAL EMERGENCY' banner once again. You're absolutely confounded, your mouth agape and eyebrows almost rising into your hairline. Martial law? In America? That hasn't happened since... What... Ever? But slowly, your confusion and dumbstruck awe corrupts into something far more sinister and cruel. If the President's ordering martial law, how bad has this become? What will you find out there in the streets? At the town hall? But one question rises above the rest, one of dismaying uncertainty.

What happens now?

------------------------------------End of Introduction--------------------------

TL-DR: The Cordyceps fungi, previously known as the "zombie ant fungus" has released a new, radical strain dubbed 'Cordyceps Resurgent' into the Asiatic population. Quickly, it spread throughout Europe and Africa, eventually encroaching upon the shores of America through ambiguous means, baffling scientists and mortifying the populace. Rates of infection grew exponentially over the course of about two months, and now 20% of the American population has been exposed to the lethal virus, crippling their critical organ systems and causing all sorts of fuckmania in their minds. Advanced stages of Cordyceps infection include but are not limited to (if they haven't died by now): Cannibalism, engorged muscles, blindness, acute olfactory senses, mania, insanity, disfigurement, a lumbering gait and the urge to eat. A lot.

Only recently however, has anyone given this fungal infection any major notice. The president has enacted martial law and sent a direct order over national news and bullhorn for any and all non-military personnel to report to their local town hall, for further instruction. The situation over in the East is cloudy at best, although leaked reports indicate something gruesome. Everybody's unsettled at best and absolutely terrified at worst. Well, some are dead too. Although a shit-vortex of questions and inquiries swirl in your mind with fervor, one question rises above all the rest.

"What happens now?"

------------------End of Introduction, again----------------------

LOOKING FOR AT LEAST THREE EXTRA PEOPLE

So there's the plot, AND the TL;DR for you lazy fuckers out there. It's not refined, but I think it portrays a sense of magnitude and urgency enough that it's suitable. Basically, all the characters 'spawn' in some western city and the first thing to do is get to the town hall. The roleplay starts the day before the Cordyceps outbreak hits the west coast. Please DO NOT join if you don't believe you'll stay for any prolonged period of time. If you drop out because of issues in real life, you think the story's progressed too much in the time of your absence (if you have one), or even because you don't think the roleplay's on par with your expectations, that's fine. But please don't join the roleplay if you strongly believe you'll abandon it after the first week. I'm looking for people who will stay for at least a month.

What I'm going for is a TWD kind of feel with the ambience and environment of... I dunno... 28 Days Later maybe? And a dash of Resident Evil (there will be special zombies that you will not want to mess with.) Your average zombie will be a somewhat fast, mindless shambler that's easy to kill.

I'm hoping for a focus on survival, some thriller aspects and character interaction (and also separation). Mature content is also going to be completely allowed with the base RPN rules being pretty much the only limiting factor. Murder, torture, rape, extortion, all that good stuff, but nothing too detailed. Shit sound good? If you think you're interested, just hit me up. Once I get two people (required to even notion for the roleplay to start, three is the negotiable minimum), I'll go ahead and type up some character sheets and types of zombies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back