Experiences MxM vs. FxF

It seems we have had very different experiences. Most of my experiences with MxF have been good and it's almost always what I play in romantic plots. Also, when you say there's no sexism in MxM plots are you were referring to IC or OOC? Just curious since I have done plots, mostly historical plots, where characters (not the players) were racist, sexist, etc.
I meant racism or other bigotry coming from the player, not from characters. It's expected that in historic (and sometimes contemporary) settings some characters will be bigoted. What I can't stand is players sliding in bigotry in their writing in a way you can tell it's their own personal thoughts.

Glad you've had good MxF experiences though, maybe I'm just super unlucky. It's just been my experience that when MxF is going really well, that's the level of goodness of just your basic average MxM RP. MxM has been way more reliable for me.

I meant racism or other bigotry coming from the player, not from characters. It's expected that in historic (and sometimes contemporary) settings some characters will be bigoted. What I can't stand is players sliding in bigotry in their writing in a way you can tell it's their own personal thoughts.

Glad you've had good MxF experiences though, maybe I'm just super unlucky. It's just been my experience that when MxF is going really well, that's the level of goodness of just your basic average MxM RP. MxM has been way more reliable for me.
For a long time I refused to do MxM due to bad experiences, but I've been slowly trying to get back into it. I still prefer FxF when it comes to non-hetero pairings simply because I find it easier to imagine attraction to women.

For a long time I refused to do MxM due to bad experiences, but I've been slowly trying to get back into it. I still prefer FxF when it comes to non-hetero pairings simply because I find it easier to imagine attraction to women.

That's totally fair :p I hope it goes better for you this time, or hey, just stick to what you like. I wasn't trying to do some kind of callout, sorry, I just got really mad thinking about all my shitty MxF roleplays.

Also it occurred to me that if you're doing a lot of historic RP, or fantasy with historic-type settings, the mild, romance-trope sexism of a lot of MxF RPers might be less obvious to you. That's the cultural norm in the setting. I do basically all contemporary or future/sci-fi, and in those settings its very glaring when the female lead just refuses to do things on her own, or the male acts like it's the bloody 1600s.

That's totally fair :p I hope it goes better for you this time, or hey, just stick to what you like. I wasn't trying to do some kind of callout, sorry, I just got really mad thinking about all my shitty MxF roleplays.

Also it occurred to me that if you're doing a lot of historic RP, or fantasy with historic-type settings, the mild, romance-trope sexism of a lot of MxF RPers might be less obvious to you. That's the cultural norm in the setting. I do basically all contemporary or future/sci-fi, and in those settings its very glaring when the female lead just refuses to do things on her own, or the male acts like it's the bloody 1600s.
Yea, that might be a factor, but it's hard to say. Most of my RP partners have been women so that may make a difference as well.

Yea, that might be a factor, but it's hard to say. Most of my RP partners have been women so that may make a difference as well.
Yeah you might be right. I think most of my partners have been women too, but probably sci-fi in particular skews male compared to average RP.

Yeah you might be right. I think most of my partners have been women too, but probably sci-fi in particular skews male compared to average RP.
I think it does actually. Usually when I see sci-fi RP's, especially military ones, it's usually males. A lot of sci-fi fandoms are male dominated too. That could very well be why you've had these experiences.

I think it does actually. Usually when I see sci-fi RP's, especially military ones, it's usually males. A lot of sci-fi fandoms are male dominated too. That could very well be why you've had these experiences.
I think for group RP this is definitely true, but less so for 1 one 1. In 1x1 sci-fi it's been maybe 50/50 I think. I wish now that'd I'd actually kept a record lol and I could give you stats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back