• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy MxF Mages: Turn of the Century

Gray Sage

Beware the JubJub Bird
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
The Queen stared relentlessly, daring him to take her. It would mean catastrophe though, and he wasn’t willing to risk it. No matter how much satisfaction it might give him. There was too much left to do in this little game, and he had plans that she wouldn’t derail.

He smiled at her. She wouldn’t defeat him. Not yet. Instead moved his hand to the bishop, sliding it across the board to take Tatiana’s rook.

“Of course.” Tatiana rolled her eyes, lifting a delicate spoonful of soft-boiled egg to her mouth. “Saints, I hate this game.” She smirked.

Ilya leaned back and spread some orange marmalade on his toast. “You’re too obvious with your strategy. Maybe try to be more subtle next time.” He took a bite.

“Subtly was never my strength.” Her sleeve falling off her shoulder as if on cue.

A knock resounded on the door. “Who is it?” Tatiana called out, readjusting her robe to go open the door to her room.

“It’s Vlad. I need to talk to Ilya.” He called out from the other side. Ilya grimaced. Announce it to the whole palace why don’t you? He thought.

But it wasn’t like everyone didn’t already know. The fact that he stayed the night with Tatiana every so often was the worst kept secret among the staff and aristocracy of Katerinburg. He had noticed that her breakfast trays had gradually begun to include more food, and Tatiana’s sheets were changed more often. Still, his business was his own, and he would like to claim plausible deniability should the time ever come.

Tatiana unlocked the door with an annoyed swing. “You’re interfering with breakfast.” She huffed.

Vlad matched her annoyed expression and looked past her to Ilya. “His majesty requests your presence, now.”

“This early?” Ilya shot up from his chair and went to the bedside to grab his tunic, throwing it over his head, and grappling for his shoes. “Did he say what it’s about?”

“No, but I get he feeling it’s time sensitive, you may want to jog there.”

“I’m not going to jog, Vlad.” Ilya shrugged his vest on and fumbled with the buttons.

“What could he want at this hour?” Tatiana draped herself back over her chair, watching Ilya dress. Ilya racked his brain, and the foolish side of him, the hopeful side, thought that maybe the emperor would finally have some news about… but that seemed unlikely. No. He wouldn’t even entertain the thought. No, it would be business as usual.

“If he keeps you all morning, we’ll train tomorrow.” Vlad said, holding the door open for him as he left Tatiana’s suite and started down the hallway. “In the meantime, you and I can get some extra hours in.” Ilya heard Tatiana groan loudly as he turned the corner toward the west wing of the palace.

The palace was like a maze, and he wasn’t ashamed to admit he’d gotten lost on more than one occasion. But he had been there for over a decade now, and he liked to think he’d become acquainted with its corridors, halls, and secrets since then.

It was a rather long trek to the emperor’s office, and Ilya briefly reconsidered Vlad’s suggestion to jog. But, he came to the west wing soon enough, and walked through a checkered hall that acted as a shortcut to his destination. He had a bit of an ulterior motive, however, for choosing this path.

Along the walls hung portraits, ancestors of the monarchy, and great nobility from the ages. One portrait in particular had a strange hold on Ilya, and he would pass by it every chance he got, just to gaze upon her.

Alexandra the Proud towered above him, looking out with a serene expression. She had been the third empress of Zelyin, and she was known to have been a great and wise ruler. She had soft yet striking features. She possessed a power in her stance, yet a kind look in her eye. Adorned in a celeste blue gown, she was graced with the finest jewels and kokoshnik tiara that the empire had to offer. She was beautiful and regal and warm. Ilya had never been one for fine art, but it was this painting that had first made him feel like the palace could be his home. The look in her eye was something that he found familiar and safe, all because the woman depicted somehow reminded him of his mother.

The two women really had nothing in common. Alexandra the Proud had been dead for over a century. Ilya was not of royal blood, or even of noble blood for that matter. Alexandra had blonde hair, while his mother’s had been brown. But something about that look in her eye. It comforted him. He took a brief moment to gaze upon her on his way to the emperor, remembering.

He moved on, however, faster in his pace, making his way up the grand staircase toward the emperor’s study.

Briefly looking himself over in an ornate mirror mounted on the wall, he tamped down his disheveled hair. His stubble was beginning to show, but he had been summoned quite early, so the emperor would have to forgive his slovenly appearance.

The guards in front of the study hit the ground in unison with their pikes to announce his arrival, before opening the doors to the study.

Ilya entered, arms behind his back, stiff postured, and eyes staring straight ahead, not daring to meet His Majesty’s gaze until given permission. He bowed to the emperor, holding back a greeting out of respect. He noticed Prince Anton was there too, already dressed for the day in his military uniform, looking over the papers on his father’s desk.

“Ah, yes, Ilya, thank you for coming.” The emperor said in a soft voice. He set down the papers he was looking at. He radiated a certain superlative air, and a stoic energy that would not be shaken. He and stared intently at Ilya for a silent moment.

“Approach.” He waved Ilya on, giving him permission to shed his formality. “Leave us.” He called to the guards. The emperor took a sip of his piping tea as they closed the doors. Anton, Ilya noticed, had a queer excitement in his eyes.

“Ilya,” Emperor Pytor began, “I will admit to you, I was skeptical about my son’s ambitions to bring mages into my home. Magic is so unpredictable, and people even moreso. But you and Tatiana and Vlad have proven yourselves to be loyal subjects and worthy servants of the crown.”

“I knew they would serve the empire well father–“

“Hush boy, I’m not finished yet.” Pytor raised his hand. “I have come to see the value in having mages in my service, and I believe there is much for you to do in the course of ending this wretched war.” The emperor let the statement hang, as if awaiting a response from Ilya.

“I will do whatever I can to aid the war effort, your majesty. I am your humble servant.” Ilya offered.

“Good. Good, I am glad to hear it.” Pytor nodded. “Ilya, I’m sending you on a mission.”

Ilya’s heart dropped. That could mean anything from digging trenches in the frozen tundra for a year, to overseeing the Yellow Monastery in the south of the city for the rest of his life.

“You, and three of my best soldiers are going to take on an extraction mission. In Espea.” The emperor folded his hands, and Anton’s smile was getting brighter. Ilya was shocked to hear he would be going into the enemy’s territory. He was technically a Captain in the Emperor’s army, but so were Tatiana and Vlad, and none of them had ever seen combat. What could possibly be so important in Espea that he would be sent there when his magic was pitiful at worst, and chaotic at best?

“Did you know, my mathematicians and scholars agree that there are probably fewer than one hundred mages, on this entire continent? I have only managed to secure three of them. But, I have received word from my spies in Espea that another has been found. I want you to go to Espea, find her, and bring her back to Katerinburg so that Anton and I might… persuade her that joining our cause is the best way to bring an end to this war.”

“Another mage?” Ilya repeated, still hardly able to believe it. The emperor and Anton nodded in unison.

“You can understand how important it is that this mission is handled with care and discretion.”

“Of course, your majesty. What information do we have about her?”

“General Pavel will fill you in on your journey.” Pytor took another sip of his tea.

“When do I leave?”

“Immediately. Your bags are being packed as we speak, there is a carriages outside the main entrance to take you to the station.”

Ilya’s jaw dropped, “Sir if I could have some time to prepare, an hour even?”

“There is nothing here that you need to see to, and this cannot wait. Time is of the essence. The servants will see to everything, and the prince will ensure that Vlad and Tatiana know you’ve left at the behest of the crown. But you will return.” The emperor’s last statement was more of an order than an encouragement.

“Yes, your majesty.” Ilya bowed, holding his low stance in humility.

“You have my leave.” The emperor leaned forward in his chair, taking his pen to the papers again.

Ilya turned and left the study, making his way down the halls and toward the main entrance, in a slight stupor.

“Ilya!” The Prince called after him. Ilya waited for him to catch up, an elated look on his face. “I have no doubt that this mage could mean the end of this war. And I have every faith that you’ll succeed.”

“Anton, I have no idea what I’m doing! Why doesn’t he send Tatiana on this mission? She has much better command of her skills.”

“Actually, I was the one that suggested you. I have other plans for Tatiana. But you, my friend.” Anton placed his hands on Ilya’s shoulders. “You are stronger than you know. I believe finding this mage will help you see that. And who knows? The two of you may work well together.”

Anton gave a mischievous grin, like he was up to something. Ilya and Anton had been friends since he came to the palace, among other things. He felt he knew the prince well enough to see when he was hiding something. Ilya wouldn’t dream of being privy to empiric secrets, but the plotting and the scheming at Ilya’s expense did start to grate his nerves.

“I’ll see you when you get back!” Anton headed back up the stairs. “And, if the moment comes, don’t think, just trust yourself. It’s how I learned to be a great soldier.” Anton called back down at him, his voice echoing off the walls.

Ilya shook his head in disbelief. This was a most unusual morning.

The servants held out a Cossack hat and a fur lined cloak for him as he neared the open door. He bundled up, watching his small trunk being loaded onto the carriage.

As he stepped outside the palace, the morning greeted him which a brisk kiss and frost that clung to his lungs. Just as he stepped inside the carriage, he noticed a flurry had started to fall from the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back