• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

MUTANTS & MASTERMINDS in the world of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure!

TacoMann

Just a sweet transvestite
THE BASIC SYNOPSIS

As the title implies, an RP based around the world of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. This won't take place at any specific point in any of the stories, effectively being its own timeline. You may spot D4C hopping around, but for the most part, the Joestar Bloodline and their companions will remain un-encountered.

The setting, as it where, would be a faux-modern one. In essence, assumed to function like our own world, with the presence of the bizarre elements of the JoJo franchise.

The system? Mutants & Masterminds, information here:

d20herosrd

Your character Power Level (See System), will be 10, to begin with...however...

CHARACTER CREATION GIMMICKS

When constructing your character, you will be restricted to starting the game with one of the following ability types:

「STAND」

The most iconic ability of the franchise. A "Stand", is a physical manifestation of the user's spirit. Sometimes, this takes the form of a specialized object, a gun the wielder can manifest to fire bullets their mind controls, for instance. Alternatively, it may be a power independent and unto itself, like a glimmering barrier.

But most commonly, a Stand takes the the form of an entity (or even Entities) separate from the user, This being is an extension of the user, often with powers unique unto itself, and often humanoid in shape.

The Stand is the most common and varied form of power, with stands wildly differing from one another in source, strength, appearance, abilities, scale, and even basic concepts.

「RIPPLE」

The ripple, cleansing energy of the sun refined through focused breath, and the human form. This healing light, and flowing wave, is the apex of natural life. As well as one of the simplest, and most versatile powers available. Whereas one master of the ripple may train themselves to focus on precision, channeling their ripple through focii and relying on weapons. Others may train themselves to use versatile gimmicks, or to manipulate their body, and push themselves past human limits.

The secret to the ripple lays in two places: Air, and Fluid. The ripple is absorbed and focused through precise, controlled breathing, and best channeled through the same systems capable of conducting waves and energy, most noticeably, the circulatory system, as well as contacted fluid, in the hands of a trained user.

The techniques of other ripple users, may be learned freely, with training. And with their dying breath, a Ripple user may pass on their ripple, giving the full strength of themselves to one who may channel it better.

「MODE」

The most macabre set of powers, the ability to manipulate one's body in a verisimilitude of vicious ways, typically based around mastery of a singular element as it relates to their form. Whereas the ripple revolves around channeling the pure energy of the sun, Mode users, are anathema to The Ripple. It, along with the light of the sun, scorches them, burns them, gives them wounds that will not heal without much fresh blood. However, they gain strength from the blood of others. The more they feed, the stronger they grow. And as they grow stronger, their wounds begin to heal much. Much faster.

Your powers will be based around this selection, with all powers somehow connecting- even if it must be tangentially, to this selection.

POWER SETS

Regardless of your selection, your powers must be themed in some way.

With a Stand, the name is typically based off of some sort of band, album, song, or musical act. Often barely relating to the actual power of the Stand (example Stand names: STAND: Beach Boys, STAND: Demon Dayz, STAND: Lonely Heart)

The powers of the stand, meanwhile, are often more concise, clear, and specific. Whereas a Stand may sometimes have a basic power, such as "Superhuman strength and precision.", other times, the powers may range from esoteric (e.g, summoning dinosaurs) to outright bizarre (e.g. Spoon manipulation). Do not mistake an obtuse power set for a weak one, however. Often the more esoteric or seemingly limited a power is, the more potential it bears.

Stand Users, whilst at Power level ten, may not themselves have base Abilities exceeding rank 7. Their stands, however, gain all their base physical traits free, and may expand up to 11.

----

Ripple users, do not need to name their ripple, however, their basic, self-taught techniques often bear gimmick. Some ripple users often specialize in specific focuses, be it bubbles, or silk. Different surfaces conduct the ripple differently however, and if out of breath, or frozen, the ripple cannot be conducted.

-----

Mode users, must focus themselves to a specific field. One user could claim their mode to be Heat, allowing them to raise their body temperature to impossibly high temperatures, weaponizing this through precise control of their veins to burst or leave their flesh at controlled motions. Another could claim his mode to be Wind, allowing him to precisely control the air around him, weaponizing it in destructive bursts or using it to obscure himself.

Regardless, all Mode users gain Regeneration 4, as a free power, but are Vulnerable to solar effects, their regeneration nullified by this, unless they are to drink a large share of fresh blood. (Further Example Modes: MODE: Light, Mode: Metal, Mode: Flesh)

CHARACTER PROGRESSION

Now, this shall be the main gimmick of the setting.

As you complete quests and stories and the like, you'll be awarded a small share of points. You may either directly invest these points into improving your power, or may choose to save them, as, "Heritage For the Future".

Your Heritage pool shall be kept track of between missions, and shall, at any given point in the future, by my choosing, reflect you developing a new power set.

A Ripple User gaining a Stand, a Stand User gaining a Mode, A New School of The Ripple. A Stand Evolving beyond it's state. Perhaps Cybernetic Augmentation? You would have no EXACT control over what you will receive down the line, but your story choices shall guide it. And of course, you would choose the specific abilities and statistics of your power.

This is all just a general interest check. If anyone has any questions on the setting, or the system, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Added "Progression" section, forgot to add that. Was sort of intended to be the central campaign gimmick, too! xD

I may be able to help answer questions when Taco is not available.

But probably not, I don't know where that persons mind is going.

I've been meaning to actually look into Jojo for awhile now, but Imma bow out. Thanks for the pointer though!

[Remember to pose well for the pillar men!]

Oh! So I totally had a bunch of questions regarding the game. First off: when is it going to be set? I assume 1980s or later since Stands are a known variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea about this system, it's a strange new world and I'm a stray and afraid kitten.

Teach me and I shall join thee, since I literally have nothing better to do, small wait for folks to get back to my game so... yea... thems the shiggidywiggidy.

With that in mind, I'm happy to explain the system, if you can give me questions to answer in a neat, orderly fashion.

Yep.

Partially why I chose it, irony gives me. The sustenance I need to live.

First I must concoct questions to be answered. From what I see its a simple system, d20, skills and attributes to beat a DC.

How does combat roll? Roll offs?

Roll offs in some cases- in others, your target has stats that act as DC's. Combat is relatively similar to what you are used to, with some cosmetic changes, some new features to toy around with, and a different system for /getting/ those numbers.

Sounds cool, I'm down. Thing is, the decisions to make, should I be the super fly sexy guy stand user? The triple ripple bloak? La garcon a la mode?

Such things keep me up at night. Like right now, since I really should get to sleep, it's like 12:17 now, seriously, why.

Chargen is point buy, tho. I'm sure Taco can work with you for.. whatever you end up planning to do.

I'm debating between a Vamp, Flex Happy Ripple-user whose techniques where passed down his family line for generations, or a Stand User whose Stand Name is straight from a Heavy metal Band.

"Passed down his family line for generations."

Will he have a sister who's named Olivier and is the most bad ass woman you'd ever meet? (and is secretly my most favorite character of all time.)

Let's see... there's an idea, what would best fit a man who simply doesn't know how to die? Ie, incredably hard to kill.

Maybe a Vampire entirely focused around tanky stats, boosting his natural regen higher, and whose Mode is perhaps Earth or Stone?

*after an almost unsurvivable beating he continues to stand and face the enemy, blood on his lips, bones broken, eyes blinded by his own cut brow as he says one thing.*

"That hurt, got another?"

Yea, yea I can dig it.

Alright. Almost sort of back. Any questions or concepts, feel free to sling me a PM! I should be ready to get the ball rolling by Monday! If you're really having trouble deciding between characters, I'll gladly allow up to 2 per player, if you're willing to go through the trouble of it.

Alright, so, the guide shows how to make a character, but I don';t see how to MECHANICLY make a character, soemthing about character points that is glanced over but then goes back into explanation of how the attributes work.

I can create my boyo if I knew how the creation system worked, so thats pretty much the only problem I have.

If you want to drop me a message, I've played Mutants and Masterminds before and would be happy to walk you through the CC mechanics. :D

thank buddy ol' pal ol' friend, shall do so soon, need food first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back