Music music tastes?

My music tastes are strewn so far and wide that it is a wonder...but, I think I could make the wager that I am the only one here who has enjoys having Swedish folk music (or at least the group Triakel) as part of their music collection:

Beautiful but sad song:

Happy song with parts that sound similar to some Christmas carols!

In any case I think the 3 musicians' expressions in both thumbnails betray whether it'll be a fun or a serious song lol.

Hmm... Well, I don't know if it would be your thing, but I can share some artists if you like. My music is a little unusual, but some people might like it. I figure the easiest way would be just to share a few artists from my Spotify Mixes since I think it groups them pretty well.

My first (and favorite) is mostly Scottish and Irish music, especially the latter. It tends to be more traditional, but I also really like contemporary takes on old classics. There are also a few instrumental pieces, usually either fiddle or pipes and drums. Some favored artists are Makem and Clancy, Battlefield Band, The High Kings, Celtic Thunder, Alasdair Fraiser, and Phil Coulter.

My second is mostly instrumental, mostly strings. I especially like The Piano Guys, who will often take songs from two genres (often pop + classical) and blend them together into something really cool. Probably my favorite is "Fight Song", which takes the titular song and Amazing Grace, and puts it to piano and cello accompanied by pipes and drums. I know it sounds weird, but it's so beautiful. I also like a bit of 2Cellos and Vitamin String Quartet.

Third is a little harder to describe... There's a lot of tenors and soundtrack music in it. I've heard some of it classified as soft rock, but I'm not so sure of that. Some of it is slightly folksy, but I don't think so on the whole. Probably my most listened to artist in this section is Keith Harkin, but The Canadian Tenors, Peter Hollens, and Josh Groban also feature prominently. There are a couple a cappella groups in there too. Soundtrack is mostly from Wicked, because it was incredible.

Fourth is just Disney music. I'm a child at heart and love belting out all the old Disney songs. My two favorites are "You'll Be In My Heart" and the full version of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?"

So yeah, there's my weird list! I don't know if any of it is to your taste, but hopefully it helps!

Hmm... Well, I don't know if it would be your thing, but I can share some artists if you like. My music is a little unusual, but some people might like it. I figure the easiest way would be just to share a few artists from my Spotify Mixes since I think it groups them pretty well.

My first (and favorite) is mostly Scottish and Irish music, especially the latter. It tends to be more traditional, but I also really like contemporary takes on old classics. There are also a few instrumental pieces, usually either fiddle or pipes and drums. Some favored artists are Makem and Clancy, Battlefield Band, The High Kings, Celtic Thunder, Alasdair Fraiser, and Phil Coulter.

My second is mostly instrumental, mostly strings. I especially like The Piano Guys, who will often take songs from two genres (often pop + classical) and blend them together into something really cool. Probably my favorite is "Fight Song", which takes the titular song and Amazing Grace, and puts it to piano and cello accompanied by pipes and drums. I know it sounds weird, but it's so beautiful. I also like a bit of 2Cellos and Vitamin String Quartet.

Third is a little harder to describe... There's a lot of tenors and soundtrack music in it. I've heard some of it classified as soft rock, but I'm not so sure of that. Some of it is slightly folksy, but I don't think so on the whole. Probably my most listened to artist in this section is Keith Harkin, but The Canadian Tenors, Peter Hollens, and Josh Groban also feature prominently. There are a couple a cappella groups in there too. Soundtrack is mostly from Wicked, because it was incredible.

Fourth is just Disney music. I'm a child at heart and love belting out all the old Disney songs. My two favorites are "You'll Be In My Heart" and the full version of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?"

So yeah, there's my weird list! I don't know if any of it is to your taste, but hopefully it helps!

I like me some Irish music, and a bit of Scottish too.

The Irish song "O Ro Sé Do Bheatha Bhaile" is a fav, especially any version that is more minimalistic.

I like me some Irish music, and a bit of Scottish too.

The Irish song "O Ro Sé Do Bheatha Bhaile" is a fav, especially any version that is more minimalistic.

Yes, I know that one! I can't find it in my list right now, but I think I had The Dubliners version of it. I may be wrong though.
You know there are two versions of it, right? The more commonly known one is actually a rewrite/adaptation of an older Scottish song.

EDIT - Actually, thinking of the language, it may actually originally be Irish, but with a Scottish subject. I'm not familiar enough with the languages to be certain, but while a Scottish Jacobite song would be a bit more likely, an Irish one wouldn't be impossible.

Yes, I know that one! I can't find it in my list right now, but I think I had The Dubliners version of it. I may be wrong though.
You know there are two versions of it, right? The more commonly known one is actually a rewrite/adaptation of an older Scottish song.

Yeah, Patrick Pearse subbed in Grace O'Malley for bonnie Prince Charlie. The Dubliners version has the nice fiddle and pipes in it so it's something of an exception to my minimalist preference for the song. There's something cool about the version the men sing while marching in the movie The Wind Shakes the Barley, if you know it.

Yeah, Patrick Pearse subbed in Grace O'Malley for bonnie Prince Charlie. The Dubliners version has the nice fiddle and pipes in it so it's something of an exception to my minimalist preference for the song. There's something cool about the version the men sing while marching in the movie The Wind Shakes the Barley, if you know it.

I don't know of the movie, though I'm aware of the song. I wrote a research paper over songs about the '98 and that was one of the ones I considered. I had to cut it down to only four (two contemporary, two from the centinneial) for sake of space and time, and I tried to choose ones with references to specific people and events over the more generalized ones, with The Minstral Boy being an exception.

Looking into the movie, though, I don't think I would care for it. I'm not a fan of war movies in general; I don't even like having to read about war (though it's unavoidable, I'm studying history), so I really don't want to have to see it as well (so to speak). It may be interesting to look into for a study into historical memory, though.

Rap is great once you know where to look. Skip the Lil Pump/Kodak Black/Rae Sremmurd stuff. J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar and Tyler the Creator are fantastic.

Alternatively, the Velvet Underground exist and are a gift from the gods.

Scottish and Irish is definitely one of my favorite genres!

Also Vitamin String Quartet is AMAZING! I love them so much!

Yes. They're fantastic! I love them, along with Midnite String Quartet, who are pretty similar.

Yeah I think I've heard some of their stuff. Covers of songs that use a different genre are always interesting to me. Perhaps one of my favorites is the metal cover of "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran lol. Not only is the guy who does these covers legitimately good, but he also doesn't take what he's doing 100% seriously so like in this video, he pretends to be hardcore with a melodica at one point lol.

This one's also awesome yet humorous:

I've been listening to a lot of "Witchhouse" music lately. It's so good.....i'd recommend it.

That sounds interesting. Got any good artists to recommend?
Oh, Omg! i just saw this. Sorry i'm late but i love older witchhouse music especially.
Some of my favorites are;
  • Ω╪Ω (SYCORAX) - ∆N∆RK∆ S∆T∆N∆
  • White Ring - IxC999
  • WHITE RING - SUFFOCATION
you should try those! i don't know how much you'll like it so those are just a few.

Oh, Omg! i just saw this. Sorry i'm late but i love older witchhouse music especially.
Some of my favorites are;
  • Ω╪Ω (SYCORAX) - ∆N∆RK∆ S∆T∆N∆
  • White Ring - IxC999
  • WHITE RING - SUFFOCATION
you should try those! i don't know how much you'll like it so those are just a few.
Cool! I'll be sure to check them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back