Other Multi fandom holy grail war

wdinatx

Enjoyer of fandom and King of Heroes
So, I recently came up with a idea for an RP but have little experience being a GM and I don’t want this idea to die.
To the point my idea is to have a Fate styled holy grail war but with heroic spirits from fandom instead of mythology. I would want someone else to GM this because it deserves to be done.

I hadn't a similar idea once, based on the anime "re:creators" for a premise. There is the issue I don't like multi fandoms in general though...

That would be super hard to balance power wise because some fandoms have canons with higher power caps than others. Most of the time it would probably not be a fair fight because you have someone who's bound to take on the most powerful state in their respective canon and just kill everyone, with other fandoms matching that OPness to compensate.

There's also the problem of canon characters meeting other canon characters from other things and getting super confused because they have no idea what this one thing is from another universe. Not every character is adaptable and can roll with the idea of things being completely different from what they're used to. But, that's only a problem if you're dealing with canon characters- you still have to keep some of that in mind for OCs too, though.

If someone could manage this without it turning into a mess, I'd be impressed.

Someone said Holy grail...? Friendly neighborhood Crusader here just gonna... Take that off your hands...

What kind of thing is this going to be, anyhow? Like, is this going to be a D&D roll the dice thing or a vast RP?

Caroline1539 Caroline1539 keep in mind that Servants in Fate have vastly different amounts of power than they did in life. Also, while I agree the Servants will know nothing about the others the masters might.

Vorkaysus Vorkaysus I have no clue about the format but I posted this here because I have no experience GMing on RPN. So I’m just trying to get someone else to do it.

Alright... Well, one thing you could do would be limit fandom choices, just check over their characters carefully and then confirm them or tell them to change something

wdinatx wdinatx Then if they're all balanced in power levels or all given super high power caps then that would negate some of the struggle, because they would all just be wailing on each other with no real give and take. You could take this in another direction all together and let certain characters keep their abilities, but make everyone's skill at fighting more even. You could also give characters different amounts of stamina, so some could be relatively weak but keep fighting for a long time, and characters with higher powers can still use them but burn out relatively quickly if they use them without thinking too much about how much energy they're expending.

Caroline1539 Caroline1539 In actual fate, their abilities and skills are based on their life but different enough for them to fight interestingly. So your idea is what’s it’s based off of.
Vorkaysus Vorkaysus that would be smart, but it would really just be to balance people’s rank and NP, mostly.

wdinatx wdinatx Then if they're all balanced in power levels or all given super high power caps then that would negate some of the struggle, because they would all just be wailing on each other with no real give and take. You could take this in another direction all together and let certain characters keep their abilities, but make everyone's skill at fighting more even. You could also give characters different amounts of stamina, so some could be relatively weak but keep fighting for a long time, and characters with higher powers can still use them but burn out relatively quickly if they use them without thinking too much about how much energy they're expending.
Stamina in Fate depends on a Servant's mana, because they are spirits rather than people. Theoretically, Merlin in Fate has better odds of completing a marathon than a guy who is famous for his legendary stamina, simply because as Heroic Spirits it is magical energy that lets them exist and move rather than stamina.

I'm monitoring this thread.
I've never actually sat down and watched/played/whatever with any FATE property, but it does fascinate me. I'd hope that wouldn't be too much of an issue? I'm familiar with at least the basic concepts on how heroic spirits work.

•Mfw peeps are complaining about balance in such a scenario when all that needs to be explained is that the "servants" are just magical representations of the characters' "real" counterparts, thus explaining why they're weaker than their canon counterparts

•Mfw peeps are complaining about balance in such a scenario when all that needs to be explained is that the "servants" are just magical representations of the characters' "real" counterparts, thus explaining why they're weaker than their canon counterparts
Very true. While the rank and skills would still need to be balanced the characters themselves are fine. Assuming the players do the right class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back