• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom MLP: Age of Exploration - Nightmares Rising

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide

Celestia looked down at Aurelia, and would think about what it was she was asking. The elements were protected by a strong magic, but Nightmare Moon was a strong enemy, "If I walk in there with the Bearers wearing the Elements... Things could go wrong quickly." She'd say, raising a brow at Aurelia, "I believe this is a good plan. Every plan is a good one if you can pull it off right." She'd say, nodding her head, before looking towards where NMM would be waiting for them. She let out a growl, and think out a warm thought to Luna, then looked back on the group. After a few moments, few sigh and open the box, handing everyone their Element's, "Keep them just out of sight on you, I'll still carry the box." She'd say.

With that out of the way,she'd begin to lead them towards the meeting spot, hoping everyone is ready and getting into there proper positions. She'd take the walk nice and slow.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Shining Armor
Shining Armor smiled a bit at Cadence, though his smile was forced. It was fairly obvious that he would not leave if things started to look bad. He could never leave Cadence there alone, even if it meant the kingdom might suffer a bit. Flurry Heart was an adult, and so was Asa; even more than that, Asa was dating Silvanus, another Princess. The three of them could run the Crystal Empire if need be.

When they arrived in front of the group, Shining Armor stayed quiet and just listened to what everypony had to say.

Trixie
Trixie returned the kiss with passion and love, a few tears coming unbidden to her eyes. She knew this was likely not going to go to plan. Nightmare Moon was no fool, and now she was inhabiting one of the strongest creatures in the cosmos short of Discord himself. The chances of one or both of them dying were incredibly high and Trixie knew that. Still, she steeled her nerves and blinked her tears away. Just before Starlight teleported out, Trixie said, "When you need me, I will be there. I promise."

She then set about getting her family safe and out of Equestria, followed by teleporting townsfolk away. She would be gone for a while.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
Aurelia regarded the ponies around her, who seemed to all be on the same page. Her gaze lingered on Avedon, a flash of worry crossing her face. Would he be able to control himself in this fight? So much of his life had lead up to this point, would it all come crashing down around him, leaving him vulnerable? She was unsure.

Her gaze also lingered on Twilight Sparkle. This was likely the most stressful fight of the young mares life, not only fighting to save Luna but also, more importantly, fighting to save her marefriend from a fate far worse than death. Failing Aurora now meant damning her forever, and that failure would rest upon Twilight's shoulders. Aurelia could not imagine how Twilight must be feeling right now.

"I believe you just walked into the End Times, friend." Aurelia said to Sergio as he stepped forward. She was a white bat pony with blood red eyes, and long fangs coming from where her canine tooth should be.

As Celestia began to hoof the Elements back to their bearers, a voice echoed around them. "Celestia, Celestia, Celestia." the voice chided gently, before a cloud of shadows formed into Nightmare Moon right before their eyes. The mare looked around, taking a moment to smirk and wink at Twilight. She knew it would bother the mare to see her lover so terribly altered. She then turned her attention back on Celestia. "We had a deal. Do you remember my terms? I asked you to gather the Elements, and lay them on the ground. Not hand them to their Bearers. I wonder, are you planning to threaten me, Celestia? Are you planning to kill me? Perhaps I should simply dispose of Luna..."

The projection went quiet for a moment, before it came back with a tone that sounded simply disappointed. "Oh well... Remember Celestia, this one is on you."

The heroes would watch as half of the townsfolk swarming around them simply disappeared. No blood, no screaming, not even a visible sign of magic. They simply... ceased to be. It was a frightening reminder of what they were dealing with here.

At this point, Nightmare vanished into a cloud of smoke and the voice echoed around them once again. "The next time you decide to deceive me, I will teleport Luna's decapitated body to your hooves. Come along now, we have much to discuss. You can even bring the 'heroes' and Element Bearers."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus

Starlight was stunned to silence as she watched events unfold. Once again, red smoke was emitting from her horn in wisps. Nobody else but Aurora and Nightmare herself knew this was all Starlight's fault. That's why they had to defeat her and set things right again. They *had* to.

Cadence looked both Shining and Twilight in the eyes, with a look in her eyes that said 'this isn't looking good'.

When the ponies of Ponyville dissapeared, Applejack was distraught. "Where'd they go?" she asked quietly, to herself. She stared at the now empty Ponyville for a little longer, before turning back to the group, tears in her eyes. "So we can't trick her. We have to do what she says an jus' hope that we get an opportunity to..."

Applejack couldn't finish that sentence before Starlight almost screamed. It wasn't even a word, just anguish projected onto sound. She strolled up to Applejack, and the group. "We can't! She won't give us an opportunity! Then it will be our fault we surrendered without a fight!"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Rarity closed her eyes at the ghastly sight of so many people, so many lives simply vanished...but the darkness that replaced her vision was no comfort. In it all she could see was Nightmare's threat manifested...what she would do to Luna, to her dearest friend. Rarity opened her eyes. A level of resolve and steel there more fitting for Avedon than for the elegant and peaceful unicorn. She would not be afraid. She didn't have that luxury. She didn't get to doubt, or wonder of the ways this could play out. Not when so many others just paid the most dire of prices and so many more still may. She was the bearer of Generosity, not Courage, but right now all she could give to others was in her actions. By going forward and meeting this challenge to use her Element in this fight. Rarity was Generosity, and all she could offer was her life for the sake of Equestria's people, for her friends, and she was ready to do that.
"...I...I won't let this Element get sullied on the ground..."
She said clasping it tightly in her hooves as she moved to walk with Celestiaa, staring into shrouded darkness in the air with contempt.
"...but even that would be better in your dirty hooves..."

Avedon watched as this played with an unreadable expression. He had long ago conquered his past and set his loyalty and future squarely on the side of Equestria, but he also knew he'd never be free of Nightmare Moon until this was done once and for all. Live or die, failed or victorious, with all these forces brought together this would be over one way or another for him tonight. The veteran warrior felt that in every tired bone of his body. And that, that fact alone brought the smallest of smiles to his face. He didn't underestimate Nightmare, he dreaded what would happen to Equestria and the others, but in this moment where the night's air was so thick with destiny and fate that it shrouded any thoughts of the future beyond the next few hours - he was content. Content that he was here facing this final challenge - this final dark night in a life that the sun had seemingly never laid a gentle warming ray upon - that he was here with allies...with friends. Live or die, fail or win, Avedon always did what he felt he needed to and to the best of his abilities. There would be no regrets. He would give this everything he had because if he did not, he would have nothing left.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Superwholock Superwholock

As events unfolded before her eyes Titania could only look on at the power of this opponent. There was no weapon that she had, besides maybe her Sun Sword, that would help. She bit the inside of her cheek as she thought. “I’m going to need some different bullets, upgrades for Ash and Marrow and maybe some more time to research this being to better understand what it can do.”

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Superwholock Superwholock

Celestia had to not focus on what was happening. She had to steel herself from whatever happened. At this point, considering the level of of just... Like the snap of a finger, ponies were gone. She'd grit her teeth, and exhale slowly, before looking back at Aurelia, her glare hardening even more. She'd turn back towards where Nightmare was, and marched onward, leading the group towards what was sure to be the biggest fight of their lives. Celestia had no intentions of letting Nightmare just run amok, but the closer she got to their destination, the more she worried about the difficulties of rescuing Luna...

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Superwholock Superwholock
Twilight Sparkle
To say that Twilight is stressed is a pretty big understatement. She is far beyond being merely stressed at this point. The mare was trying to keep Nightmare under control while also trying to figure out how she had somehow lost her marefriend. It happened while they were out with Starlight Glimmer. She didn't exactly believe them to actually have done it, yet... the circumstances are odd.

Now isn't the time to get paranoid over her friend and former student. They have a much greater threat to deal with right now. Failure is not even an option at this point... there is no room for it. They have to win. Because if they don't win... Twilight doesn't know if she is going to be able to live with her own failure. Knowing that she has lost Aurora forever, all because she wasn't strong enough...

Her eyea widened when half the denizens of Ponyville just... vanished. Gone. No sign of them having disappeared at all. Gritting her teeth, she didn't say anything, but it obvious she wanted to. Shakily, Twilight took the Element of Magic off. "Nightmare won't get away this time..." She vowed quietly.

Standing beside her friends, Twilight marched forward to meet Nightmare on the hill.

Selena
Selena had a bit of a different problem. Saving Aurora is high on the priority list, yes, but she is more angry that Nightmare has taken Luna hostage. Again. This is the second time now and she couldn't be more angry, yet appearing as calm and collected as ever. Only her eyes betrayed her underlying fury.

First a thousand years had gone by, Mother Moon trapped within the prison that is her own body. Nightmare kept them for so long away from the world, made the ponies lose faith in them. Luna lost so much precious time. Now they have the sick, twisted sense of humor to be holding them hostage yet again, in the body of their daughter this time. If being courteous wasn't practical at the moment, she would be snarling at them.

Fortunately, Selena is all but jaded to the passing of mortals, but it still slightly surprised her that Nightmare would kill so many off such a slight hiccup. There is no regard for their subjects. And they want to be empress? They are unfit for the job, evidently. She continued on, growling a little from their disappearance, but relatively keeping her cool.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
Aurelia watched half of Ponyville vanish with a blank, dead expression. She had seen many atrocities in her time, even committing some of them, but this was something else entirely. For the first time in her thousand years of existence, the vampiress was completely out of ideas. They couldn't trick Nightmare... they couldn't risk fighting her without Luna dying... and they couldn't simply stand by and let her take control of Equestria.

As the group of heroes walked towards their destiny, a final confrontation with The Nightmare, Aurelia marched quickly to walk beside her old mentor, Celestia. She glanced over at Avedon and Twilight, motioning for the two of them to come closer.

Avedon Avedon Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus
Once Twilight and Avedon had caught up to Celestia and Aurelia, the latters voice echoed in their minds. "This is the only safe way we can speak. Celestia, make sure she does not read this." Aurelia mentally said to the three of them. "I know it is on all of ours minds, but I must say it; we have two real options here. Either we hand over the Elements and damn Equis, and all the wonderful creatures living on this planet... or we don't. Time is drawing short and our cards seem to be less than stellar."

Aurelia let out the mental equivalent of a tired sigh. "Celestia, my old mentor... whatever decision is reached here today, it will fall upon you; as it always has. I know it is a terrible choice to make, a terrible burden, but if it comes down to it... Equis is more important than the life of a single mare. You know that if your positions were switched, Luna would let you die to protect Equis."

With that being said, Aurelia let the telepathy drop. She wasn't going to tell Celestia what to do, she didn't have that kind of authority. She could only offer her own advice, from an old student to a mentor and a friend.

Time seemed slower than normal on this walk, with worry and nagging thoughts assailing the minds of all present. Every individual here had their own concerns walking into this. But time passed by still, and soon enough the heroes would find themselves standing on a field, across from Nightmare herself. Kneeling in front of Nightmare was Luna, although she was much smaller; equal in height to rarity, with a light blue coat and no horn on her head.

Nightmare was currently sitting on a rock as she awaited the parties arrival. Luna looked, surprisingly, undamaged. Nightmare hadn't really hurt the mare at all. Nightmare looked up as the group approached, a smile coming to her face as she looked them over. "It's not nice to keep a mare waiting." She said while patting Luna's shoulder. "Before anypony asks; no, the townsfolk are not dead. They are just sleeping... elsewhere. They will be returned when you hand over the Elements of Harmony to me."

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Sergio glanced around as ponies suddenly began disappearing, his face contemplative. This was by no means the worst thing he had witnessed; he wasn't called El Desalmado for kicks. He followed the group of ponies towards the giant Alicorn, curious to see just what in the hell he had walked in on. He remained silent, his calculating gaze hopping between each individual as words were exchanged.
---
Pinkie Pie barely spared a glance at the stallion who joined them, all her attention focused on Nightmare Moon and the captive Luna. At the mention of handing over the elements, it took every ounce of self-control the young mare had to not protest immediately. They were walking a very dangerous and fragile line right now and her impulsive words would not help their situation.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
In a better time and place, Rarity would love to have Luna try on several of her own dresses with this new size and color and thought she'd look absolutely divine in them...well more divine than a literal deity already did, but this was not the time and place for those thoughts. She just hoped her friend would still be in one piece when this was over. She wasn't a fighter by instincts, but she trusted in Celestia and her friends and was ready to act as they told her to.For now she only tried a weak smile to Luna.
"Hello darling..."

As the group approached Nightmare, the primordial looked as calm as could be despite the forces assembled against her. She kept Luna on a tight leash, sitting at her side like a dog. Luna refused to kneel, so sitting was about the best she could do. Luna watched with an investigative gaze as the crowd approached, looking between all of her friends and family. Her gaze lingered on Celestia, and on Rarity. She offered the latter a short nod. "Hello, dear." was all she responded with to Rarity, along with a slight smile.

Nightmare's eyes locked on Titania as the woman spoke, a frown coming to her lips. Titania was certainly treading dangerous water here. There were a few seconds of silence before Nightmare simply said, "What I plan is none of your concern, Titania."

She then turned her attention back to the group as a whole, her gaze drifting between then; before coming to settle on Celestia. While the group certainly had powerful ponies in it such as Avedon, Starlight Glimmer, Titania and Sergio, they were really nothing compared to the power that Celestia held. Celestia was the single pony in this conflict who was a worry for Nightmare, especially if she was fighting for her wife. Nightmare was no fool, she knew that Celestia would be most dangerous when fighting for Luna.

Nightmare's gaze rested on Celestia for a few moments, before she simply waved her hoof. "You are going to be a problem. Be gone." With a flash of her horn, a portal tore itself open beside Celestia, and oozing black tentacles shot out, wrapping themselves around Celestia's body. In an instant the sun goddess was pulled through the portal, and it shut behind her.

It was a temporary fix, Nightmare knew that much. That hellscape would keep Celestia occupied for an hour at most, but that left her plenty of time. Unfortunately it also weakened her considerably. Banishing a goddess was no easy task, even for the powers that Nightmare now had possession of. She made no move to hide her tiredness after that spell, but stood tall and regal regardless.

With Celestia out of the equation, Nightmare's horn flashed again. A beautiful chest, roughly 4 feet wide, appeared in front of the group. "Deposit your Elements in the chest, and go home. I truly do not wish to kill any of you. I will continue to rule as Equestria's sole empress, and in time Equestria will forget the way things used to be. Go live the rest of your lives."

Despite her evil nature, the assembled ponies could sense that Nightmare was actually telling the truth. She was not looking for a fight, she was simply looking to pave a safe future for herself. With the Elements taken care of she would have no real threat to herself. Celestia would never dare face her with Luna's life on the line and that could be solved separately. She truly just wished to rule over Equestria and was allowing them all to walk away, though the future for every country besides Equestria likely wouldn't be too bright.

Luna kept her composure. She had seen far worse things happen to Celestia than being sucked into a portal. Still, she wasn't overly thrilled with this plan. Her gaze again drifted between the heroes, lingering on Rarity and Avedon; both of whom she locked eyes with momentarily and slowly shook her head. A dagger of shadow magic was materializing under Luna's right wing, far out of Nightmare's sight.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

• That was a rather hollow bargain for Rarity. Let her best friend stay at the mercy of this monster, and countless others suffer just so she could continue to live her life? Rarity would be the first to admit she could sometimes be a little self-involved but when it came down to what mattered, the Element of Generosity always put others ahead of herself. Well if she was going to make a suicidal stand up against such a creature for the good of ponies she may as well do it her way.
    "No..."
    Came Rarity's soft and delicate voice, rising slowly in confidence as she continued to speak.
    "...I'm afraid that just won't do. First of all: That chest? Gaudy. It'd be a disgrace to the beauty of such a fine jewel to put it into a crate that has so much gold and paint slapped onto it you can barely tell that's some quality walnut under there. Really, maybe that sort of fashion worked last millennia when I doubt ponies had glasses so maybe you could pass it off as something of quality but that is no longer the case."
    She clapped her hooves together, punctuating each word
    "Let the wood speak for itself."
    She tossed her mane back with a huff and adjusted it with a hoof.
    "Really with taste that bad there is simply no way I can let you rule Equestria. I'd loathe to see what you did to the castle I'd have to stare at every day."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock

Cadence was touched by both Rarity and Avedon's speeches. She looked around and saw a similar sentiment. Even after watching Celestia get taken, the group wasn't scared into submission. Far from it. Each and every one of them was determined to fight. Cadence was no Celestia. Hell, Cadence was arguably no Twilight. But she was still a Princess. She had a duty to Equestria. She stepped closer to Shining during Avedon's speech, hoping that Nightmare would be focusing on him, and whispered to Shining Armor; 'Shield'. He'd know what she meant. Cadence's ordinary shield was of Arcane Magic, and wouldn't be an effective safeguard against Nightmare with Aurora's powers at her disposal. But if Cadence and Shining crossed horns, like they did at their wedding to repel Chrysalis, they'd be utilising Love Magic, and the shield would hold. It would only withstand Nightmare's power for a few seconds but that should be all they needed. She would then cross horns with him the moment Avedon finished speaking.

Without warning to Nightmare or the group, a pink dome shield materialised around them, separating them from Nightmare. Cadence then shouted to the assembled ponies. "Twilight! And her friends! Put your Elements on! The rest of you, get ready to fight! We'll only get one shot with the Elements of Harmony and it's the job of the rest of us to make sure it hits!"

Applejack wasted no time in putting the Element of Honesty around her neck. Starlight lowered her head and her horn crackled with power as she readied herself, looking out past the shield.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
Twilight Sparkle
They were approaching probably the most important fight of her life now. There is no other choice but to win... because she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she lost. Aurora, trapped forever, watching Nightmare wreak havoc with her own body. Her own magic. A voice in the back of the mind... no. No, she has to win. There is simply no other alternatives. Winning is the only way to get Aurora back, and to a somehow less important extent, saving the rest of Equestria and her allies.

Unluckily for them all, Nightmare decided that Celestia would be her biggest obstacle. Rightfully so, considering that they're very powerful, and in this situation, very desperate to save Luna. They were banished, thrown into a portal. Twilight gasped. "Celestia!" She yelled, nearly making a dash for them, but they were already gone. Off in some other world that Nightmare had taken them to. Gritting her teeth, she closed her eyes momentarily and prayed for their safety... and then turned her eyes onto Nightmare. Pure hatred filled them.

They were all given a choice. To place their Elements within the box and leave, go live 'happy' lives... or die trying to stop them. There wasn't really a choice because Twilight already knew what she had to do. Slowly, she shook her head. "There is no happiness after this. You'll leave Equestria in ruin. It's in your very nature. Whatever you touch you destroy, Nightmare. And this time... you made things personal."

Twilight raised her hoof and just gestured to them. "The only way out of this is through two ways. You either kill me and somehow destroy my Element... or I kill you and free Aurora. I won't stop. Even if we fail today, that is just today. Tomorrow I will try again. And again. Over and over, until I finally free Aurora from you. I won't stop until you're dead at my hooves. I won't ever be happy until I have the one pony who means everything to me. What's the point in living without them next to me anymore? I'm afraid this time you won't be making it out alive."

Her magic would be mostly useless at this point. Nightmare seemed to have enough control over the Weave to be able to just stamp it out. Not that it really matters... she'll do whatever she needs to do. If that means kicking and punching with her hooves, she'll do that. She has to be aware to not do enough damage to accidentally kill both Aurora and Nightmare... just enough to incapacitate. Hold them still for long enough that the Elements of Harmony can do their magic and release Aurora from the prison that is her own body.

With Cadence raising a shield to defend them, her horn started to glow, magical energy flowing off it in waves. Twilight got into a fighting position. "We need to incapacitate them, not kill them! But that doesn't mean you need to hold back! Do whatever you need to do!" Twilight called.

Selena
This all felt a little too familiar. They were all walking into what seemed to be the jaws of death, a place she is all too familiar with. She never thought that it would come down to this again. The first time that Nightmare had managed to gain control of somebody, namely Luna, it was at least manageable. This is a whole different ball game now. The only thing she could really be thankful for is that her magic doesn't come from them. Aurora can't exactly do a whole lot to prevent her from using her Shadow Magic... that stems from Luna.

She paused a little bit away from them, eyes trailing down to Luna. The constellation beast didn't pay too much mind towards Nightmare for the moment, just staring at Luna. When they spoke about giving up the Elements and leaving, she finally glanced up at them. "Surrender? No... No, I don't think I will. I'm afraid Mother Moon would not forgive me if I turned away now... and I couldn't forgive myself, really. There will never be peace with you as Empress. Equestria has no future."

Selena scuffed her paw along the dirt. "Can't say I would want to live in a world such as that. What about Equestria's allies? You would never treat them fairly. Your own nature would prevent you from even treating your own people fairly. This is why you can't be allowed to rule. I'm afraid that also means that I cannot in good conscience leave the situation. You're too dangerous to be kept around. That means you must be forcefully removed."

"Besides, you have my dear there held prisoner once again. I haven't forgiven you for that." An ornate sword that glowed as pale as the moon was summoned forth, a crescent moon on the hilt with stars flecking the guard, a sapphire set in the middle. The blade was curved slightly, suggesting a slashing weapon. A dagger was also summoned of similar design, but evidently a straight edge. "That means I'm really going to enjoy what comes next. I only wish that it didn't have to be Mother Moon's own daughter that I had to carve up..."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Superwholock Superwholock

With the comment from Nightmare Moon and her expression Titania knew that she had hit a sore spot and something that might be useful later when they fought, not if but when. Celestia was taken out of the fight before it started, Nightmare Moon made her demands, Rarity and Avedon’s speech basically stated that they were in for a fight, the shield came around them and a battle plan was being formed. “Well, if that’s the way you want to do this then I’m all for it. When the shield is down I can start us off with a bang but when I do we will only have about a split second to get close and save Luna.” Commented Titania as she prepared herself to do a Dazing Shot as soon as the shield was down.

Avedon Avedon Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Despite all of the ponies talking to her, Nightmare was really only interested in three of them; Avedon, Starlight and Twilight. Rarity did get an amused smile out of Nightmare rather than any trace of anger. "You talk a lot. I respect your audacity, though. I can see why Luna loves you." Nightmare said with a smirk, to which Luna went rigid and glanced up at the primordial. She knew that Nightmare and herself still had some kind of connection from all of their time bonded, but she never imagined it was deep enough for Nightmare to sense her feelings.

Nopony got as strong a reaction from her as Avedon. As she listened to his words, Nightmare's expression went from passive and confident to almost sad. Almost. She reigned that in and frowned deeply at Avedon. "The last primordial? I count three in Equestria alone. Myself, Discord, and the one currently living inside of that ones marefriend." She said while pointing over at Rainbow Dash. "All I want..." Nightmare paused for a brief moment.

Avedon could feel his mind being scryed for a moment as Nightmare invaded it, before her gentle touch pulled away. "... Avedon, is a place for my race to live free. Away from all of this. I have no true love for Equestria; keep the nation or burn it, I care not. It would be fun to be empress of this place, but in time the ponies would rise against me. I am not of your race." Nightmare glanced down at the mare beside her with visible disdain. It had been a deal and Luna had broken it, just like most ponies did. Nopony ever went through on a deal.

Looking back up at Avedon, she arched an eyebrow. "You had a tough childhood, I can see that much in your mind. I am sorry for that, but do not blame me for whatever those crazy cultists did to you. I have standards, and torturing children is shameful."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Nightmare almost immediately laughed at Twilight's words. "Free Aurora? Who's idea do you think this is, Twilight?" Nightmare frowned at the purple alicorn and let out a gentle sigh. "If you had read up on your history, you would know that I cannot forcefully possess somepony for more than a few hours. This is a symbiotic relationship."

With a slight shrug of her shoulders, Nightmare continued on. "The deal is quite simple. I help Aurora removed Mythic from the playing board, and she helps me secure a place for my race. Whether that means eliminating the griffons and taking their land or genociding some other race, it matters not. The only terms on the deal are that Equestria stays as it is. She even agreed to help me put Luna and Celestia down, should they oppose this plan too violently."

Selena didn't get much of a reaction out of Nightmare aside from a smirk and a wink.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Starlight got a different reaction altogether. Nightmare stared at her quizzically and actually leaned forward a bit to better look into her eyes. "You seem so angry, Starlight. So furious towards me. And yet... why? We made a deal, and I honoured that deal through and through. No harm has befallen yourself or Trixie after our deal has ended. Why, then, do you stare at me with such unbridled fury? Everything that is happening here, is happening due to your own actions. I have merely kept my word."

As the shield went up around the heroes, Nightmare could only stare and shake her head. She had no real response to that, besides to simply ask, "... Are you sure this is the course of action you wish to take? Even if you defeat me, many of you will not make it out alive; I can promise you that much."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Discord he knew but...well Discord had adjusted. Better than even he had in some ways. Discord had found his safe haven and new life among the mortals already, As for the fire-elemtnal in Spitfire?...He was no wizard, he didn't even know how that could happen? Did she just find some magic treasure and eat it? He learned long ago to never put anything past loot-crazed adventurers. He shook his head and turned back to Nightmare Moon.

"The evils we leave behind are not always wrought directly by our own hands. We leave scars that can fester unseen even by our own eyes for all the things we commit. And one-thousand years ago you left many, many scars on this world. You created many monsters, both literal and metaphorical, to facilitate your wars and they lingered long after you left. I don't say this to judge you though, even if I did, I'd not be the one in this group to have that right."

"I say this because you're repeating the same mistake. Say you do go to somewhere like Griffonstone, massacre them, chase them out, carve a land for yourself, you've set into motion the same chain of hatred, scars, and vengeance that would see the hatred for Primordials anew, and sooner your actions will come back for you. They did for me when I tried what you did. Tried to go find some peace and quiet in an empty place away for the world. It was nice for a time...but even long before that tranquil dream was shattered, those feels of of fear? Of fighting? They didn't go away. They just...had a more quiet accompaniment."

"One of your own teachings. Maybe genuine, maybe warped over the years, but either way I know it to speak the truth: There is no peace for the strong."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

"I had no choice! What, was I supposed to let my wife die?! That's not a choice! You've been giving me ultimatum after ultimatum, and it's your fault I had to in the first place! You killed her!!!" Starlight's horn was almost billowing red mist now. She didn't care what she might be revealing to those around her, what untold secrets between her and Nightmare she might be hinting at. She was too angry, and there was a more direct problem to deal with in front of her. "I'll never forgive you! For any of it!"

Cadence made mental notes of this as kept up the shield. As it wasn't being attacked, she was holding it without breaking a sweat right now, even if she was taking the brunt of the magical burden to preserve her husband's magic. If this did come to a fight, he'd need it. She's held shields for hours, even a full day before. A few more minutes would barely scratch her stamina.

"I'm not against resolving this peacefully," the Princess of Love replied. "I'm just not desperate to accept a bad hand and give you the Elements. If we talk, the bearers will be wearing their Elements, ready to use them. Then we can talk in a fairer position. We are not so desperate that we'd give in to demands that guarantee our surrender and disadvantage just to avoid fighting you. Resolving this by saving Equestria, all the Princesses, and ensuring you're never a threat to us again is of a higher priority than resolving this peacefully. So let's talk if you still wish."

As Titania listened, she decided to ease up a little. She lowered her gun that was prepared to shoot her Dazing Shot but not so low that she couldn’t whip it up at a moment's notice to use it if things went south. “Sounds like we’ll have a chat rather than fight, if Nightmare agrees and if no one attacks her.” She thought, looking at Starlight as she thought the final part of that thought.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Avedon Avedon GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus
Sergio cursed under his breath. What the hell had he walked into? The last thing he needed was to be pulled into a battle over a country he didn't even know or care about. He was only there to find his wayward son/protege. Although, if this Nightmare Moon was running around, it might make finding Virgil that much harder. His left wind shifted to curl around the handle of his whip hanging at his side, ready to bring it out when things inevitably began to go south. As his old mentor had always said, "Always expect things to go south; you'll never be caught off guard. In the unlikely case that they don't, you'll be pleasantly surprised."
----
"I'm always up for talking things out," Pinkie Pie finally chimed in, her ears perking up as she skipped forward to stand beside Cadence. "I mean, yeah fighting is always interesting, but diplomacy is pretty cool too. I love talking!"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Avedon Avedon Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
Twilight Sparkle
Twilight Sparkle was about to respond to Nightmare... but was soon distracted by what they said about Starlight. What did she just say? Starlight was the cause behind this? You know, now that she thought about it, Aurora was perfectly fine until she went to go meet them. Then they had come back possessed. The gears were turning, the events lining up, but she didn't want to believe them. Starlight wouldn't betray them like this, they've come so far! What possible gain could they have from helping Nightmare? It just didn't make any sense.

Shaking her head slowly, she turned her eyes towards Starlight. "You're lying to me about Aurora making a deal with you, but you suddenly just became less important at the moment. I'm not that stupid and neither is Aurora, especially since Mythic has already been dealt with for now." She stared Starlight down, unblinking. "Tell me she's lying to me, Starlight. Tell me you didn't do what she says you did. Tell me you didn't betray Aurora and I... for them."

She was hoping and praying that it was all a lie. If Nightmare is telling the truth for once... she doesn't know what she is going to do. Her own student betraying them, a Chosen of Aurora.

Avedon Avedon
As Avedon spoke, there was a brief moment where Nightmare Moon's expression actually softened a bit. His words were having an effect on the primordial, that much was obvious. However, that soft expression did not last and the slight grimace that she constantly wore on her face soon returned. As she looked Avedon over, that grimace one again twitched into a small smile.

"I did not create any monsters, Avedon. Luna did. The Eclipse War was not my idea. It was Luna's choice to create the bat ponies we have now. It was Luna's choice to form the armies that one day became the cult you grew up in. I merely agreed to help in exchange for a safe-haven." Nightmare glanced down at Luna, who wasn't currently looking anypony in the eyes.

However, one very angry looking vampiress was staring hard at Luna. "You did this to me? To us?" Aurelia said, moving up to stand beside Avedon as she spoke. She knew that despite Avedon being a new vampire, his past was much the same as hers. "For years I followed you, believing that this was all Nightmare's doing. That you would help me get revenge..."

As Aurelia went silent, Nightmare moon turned her attention back to Avedon. "I see no other path forward, Avedon. The Gods and the Primordials cannot co-exist. The souls of a dozen of my brethren live inside Luna's blade, and many times that number have fallen to the others. The griffon deities, the deer deities, there is a reason we are at war. Perhaps Luna, Celestia and their Pantheon have changed their ways... but the others have not. The only way my people and I can survive, is through the eradication of the deities who would oppose us. If that means that some races must fall, so be it."

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"I offered you a choice, Starlight Glimmer. Do not forget that it was your group who sought out the black dragon. Walking into that cave was a death sentence from the start, you all knew it when you started the adventure. I was merely protecting my own interests by fighting back. The sooner that you realize this entire catastrophe is your own fault, the quicker you will be able to forgive yourself. Is it truly me you are mad at?"

Nightmare glanced over at Twilight as she spoke. "Quite the student you have here, Twilight Sparkle. She is quick to blame everybody but herself. The truth is, yes, I did kill Trixie when they came blasting magic into the middle of one of my investments. Trixie died in the crossfire, and I offered to bring her back as long as Starlight did a favour for me in the future."

"I kept my end of the bargain. Trixie is doing quite well. But do you know what I've noticed about your little race? Ponies still blame me for their own mistakes. She could have simply declined the offer and went about her life. I never forced her to accept the bargain. Instead she would rather shriek and cry that this whole catastrophe is my own fault. I would not even be here if not for her."

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
As Nightmare let that sink in with the group, who would undoubtedly be questioning Starlight now, she took a step towards the barrier. Reaching her hoof out, she touched the barrier and closed her eyes. After a moment she reopened them, arching an eyebrow while looking through the barrier at Cadence. "Hmm. This is quite impressive magic, Princess Cadence. Love magic, yes?"

Reaching out with her hooves, a flickering azure flame surrounding them, Nightmare stuck her hooves into the barrier and pulled to either side, creating a hole in the shield. She stepped through the hole, coming nose to nose with Cadence. Shining Armor off to the side let out a literal yelp and reached for his sword, drawing it in a flash.

With a brief spark of Nightmare's horn, Shining Armor found his sword plunged straight down into the ground, up to the hilt. Despite his best efforts, he was not able to get it free. She stared at him for a moment before letting out a deep sigh, turning again to face Cadence. "He is quick to action, isn't he?" She joked, before her face turned a little more serious. "You do not seem to understand how desperate this situation truly is for you. Celestia is gone. Silvanus does not even know what is happening here. What do you have to combat me with? Two half-blooded alicorns? A vampiress who I helped create? A scattered array of mortal heroes? Come now, Cadence; surely you understand the situation you are in."

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
As Nightmare finished chastising Cadence, she then turned towards Titania and Sergio. The two of them would feel her invading their mind in a subtle, gentle manner before her magic pulled away from them both. "It is a pleasure to meet you both, Titania and Sergio. A shame we could not meet under better conditions."

Rubbing her chin a bit, Nightmare turned to regard Sergio with an arched eyebrow. "You do not strike me as an Equestrian. Where are you from?"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon actually felt a small smile hazard existing ever so briefly on his face directed at Nightmare Moon. Gone as fast as her own face hardened once more, but it was undeniably there, and felt impossibly strange to him. His eyes looked over to Luna and hung on her as Nightmare kept speaking. The rage and sense of betrayal that filled Aurelia's eyes was absent his own. Though he didn't know how much of a split between the two there was, he had always ultimately been aware that Nightmare Moon was a fusing of both Luna and the primordial, not simply the latter dominating the former. Still, he had stood in the ruins of Moon Shade and seen the bat-ponies home laid to ruin by Nightmare Moon's last puppet. That it was not simply Luna summoning her, Nightmare Moon had proven to always be looking for those vulnerable enough she could make work for her agenda.

He knew the Primordial of Evil was perhaps not as blameless in her memory as she thought but he knew it ultimately was irrelevant. The past was past, and this was the one and only time in all the history of the world they would have to create a future not dominated and controlled by the influence of the last thousand years. Perhaps they were not sins he had a right to absolve, but right or not he was going to focus on a new path. If would die tonight he would die walking his own way unburdened by the shadows that had driven him his whole life.

"Now now Nightmare...don't be so judgmental on our "half-blooded alicorns and assembled heroes". You fought some of us in that cave, you know we are powerful. Even if you our stronger now than you were then, so are we and our numbers are even greater. She is desperate and bleak, but it's that way for you too. Not all of us would survive this night, but you forget...we are mortal."
He subconsciously pushed his tongue against his new fangs.

"...Well broadly speaking. Many beings like you look down on the short-lived races that don't last long enough to build the great power you and your kind perceive. But each of us are born accepting our inevitable death. When we commit to our lives and its purpose we do not hold anything back for thoughts of tomorrow. We do not have anything to hold back for. So we would fight, our friends would die, and those of us who remain would keep fighting until the last of us or you were broken. But even if all of us died, even if you took the greatest fights in Equestria, the Elements of Harmony, the last of Luna and her pantheons rage, the mortal and immortal fury of these "half-blood" alicorns....let us say the worst occurs. ...well the worst from our perspective. We would die and there would still be others in the world to fill in after. New heroes, other lesser deities, new Bearers of Harmony. And you would be exhausted and weakened from the fight."

"But if you die...What Primordials are left to fight for your dream? To carry your race through tonight to a better day? I don't say this to threaten you...for once that is not my goal and I find myself dearly not wishing to do that to you. I say that to drive home that you are in as dire a situation as we are here, and have as much if not perhaps more to lose. Luna, Auroria, none of them ever had the right to bargain with the lives and destinies of the mortal races. They bargained with what they did not posses..."
His eyes locked on her as firm as he could as he stepped just ever so slightly closer.

"I do not bargain for myself Nightmare. I do not need to borrow the rights of others, or promise what I cannot deliver tonight. Look into my eyes and you know I have no reason to speak anything but the truth. We can create another way forward..."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof

Starlight looked to Nightmare, and to Twilight, and back again. Her rage was crumbling, and replacing it was sadness and fear. She looked around. There was not a manic desperation in her eyes, as if she was starting to crack under the mental and emotional strain. How can these ponies judge her? Would any of them done differently?...Yes. Starlight admitted to herself. They all would. When it came time to put their personal feelings aside for the good of Equestria, no matter how hard or painful, every other pony here would do so without a moment's hesitation. Starlight realised fully just how weak she was. She thought she was stronger and bravery than this, but one not just one but two occasions, danced for Nightmare at the merest threat of losing Trixie forever. She had let Nightmare take her wife's body in return for bringing her back to life, and then gave her Aurora's under threat of Trixie's life being taken. She didn't even deserve to stand with these ponies.

Because the worst part was she didn't regret it. She'd do it again. She would let a lot worse befall Equestria than this before she'd ever let go of Trixie. And this knowledge brought her shame. The rest mist started to shrink back into Starlight's horn as she started to sob, then turned on Twilight.

"I'm not the enemy here! I'm not the one holding anybody hostage, or threatening lives! I promise you we will resolve this later! Right now there are more important things at stake, and you're letting her tear us apart! Yes, I did what I had to to bring Trixie back and keep her safe. I told myself that if I didn't, Trixie would definitely die, but if I agreed, maybe I could find a way to stop her somehow. But I knew...I knew she'd never give me the chance. I just couldn't lose Trixie..."

---

Cadence sighed as she listened to Starlight's story. In the end it was Love that had brought them to this position. There was some irony in that. Cadence couldn't begrudge Starlight for her part in this. Nightmare always had exploited the wants and weaknesses of vulnerable ponies. Starlight's compassion had always been a strength before, but any strength could be twisted around.

She was shocked when Nightmare effortlessly breached her barrier. She felt no strain. The shield itself wasn't under attack. Nightmare had just...cut a hole in it. There was breifly fear in Cadence's eyes as she came nose to nose with the Primordial, but she righted herself. With a look to Shining to tell him that she was still calm, and was there for him, she turned her attention back to Nightmare.

"I know all too well. It's bad enough of a situation for us now that the Bearers are all wearing their Elements and are ready to use them. I dread to think how little leverage we'd have had without my actions. At least now we have options besides complete and unequivocal surrender entirely to your terms. Not many, and they're not ideal. But they exist. You forget that though Celestia banished you once, she used the Elements to do so. The Elements of Harmony have never failed to defeat you before. Things are different now but not so different that you no longer fear them, I wonder.

Like I said, let's talk."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back