• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom MLP: Age of Exploration - Nightmares Rising

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Twilight Sparkle
She wished she didn't just hear what she did. That Nightmare was wrong and continuing to lie to her... but she wasn't. It was plainly evident in Starlight Glimmer, and the more she thought about it, they were the only suspect now. The meeting with them, Aurora returning possessed... it wasn't mere coincidence. She isn't stupid enough to be caught completely unaware by a predatory Primordial out of the blue without help. Starlight Glimmer got Nightmare close to them. Aurora would have seen it coming from a mile away if it had been anybody else. They have committed high treason now. This is unequivocally worse than what she was doing before. Apparently Starlight has not really changed as much as she thought they did.

Twilight shook her head slowly, betrayal, confusion, rage, sorrow... many emotions flew across her face at the moment. She could hardly even comprehend what she was hearing. They did it all to save Trixie... but she had to wonder if Trixie knew. Were they ever told? Trixie would most certainly not have aided Nightmare in such a way, never willingly. They may not be friends but she knows them enough that they wouldn't sink to such a level. Not again. The last time it happened had pretty much destroyed her with the Alicorn Amulet.

"... I trusted you. Aurora trusted you. You were her Chosen, my student, I... I thought..." It was growing more and more difficult to speak. Twilight clenched her jaw tightly. "You took away my love to save your own. You've committed treason against Equestria. That is grounds for the death penalty, Starlight Glimmer. I hope you know the consequences of your actions. No pony will ever look at you the same again... not even me. This is happening because of you."

Turning her attention back to Nightmare, she would deal with Starlight Glimmer later. Both Aurora and herself, because while Starlight may have taken them away, Twilight Sparkle will get them back. She will sacrifice as much of herself as she must to do so. "So you just want your own kingdom again, is that it? Nightmare, I think you are missing the key feature of this situation; you're exactly right. This is a desperate situation. An animal is always most dangerous when you have them cornered."

Twilight's eyes narrowed. She didn't dare use her magic, but she was ready to lunge at them, as evident by the muscles underneath her coat bunching up. "If you release Aurora now we might be able to come to an agreement, Nightmare. If you don't... you'll find out just how desperate I am to save the mare I love above all else. If I die trying... so be it. It's better than allowing her to become prisoner in her own body to a tyrant."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Sergio was only mildly surprised when Nightmare turned towards him; after all, he was one of the few here that she had not had a run-in with. His hackles rose at the feeling of his mind being invaded and he forced up the walls that he had developed over the years, hoping they were enough to keep her from digging deeper into his mind. If she was anything like her namesake, he did not want her to see some of his less than happy memories. He had no idea if he was successful as the feeling receded and she addressed him.
"I am from many places," he carefully answered. "None of them commonly known."

Superwholock Superwholock
The cryptic answer only got an arched eyebrow from the immortal, along with a slight smirk. "I know many places, some of which have been lost to time in the passing millennia. I am sure that I would know the place that you are from, but... I won't pry." Just as soon as she had replied, Nightmare's attention was once again torn back to the rest of the group.

Avedon Avedon
Avedon got only one reaction from Nightmare. A devious smirk across her lips, and the words, "Can we?" in response to his offer of another path forward. The old warrior knew a battle ready foe when he saw one, and Nightmare's body was tensing. That gave him at least enough time to distance himself from the upcoming magical explosion.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
Now Nightmare had them right where she wanted them. Everypony was huddled under this ridiculous barrier, thanks to Cadence. And the best part? They hadn't even stopped her from coming in! They just kind of... accepted it. Nightmare looked around at the ponies, the frown on her face slowly creeping into a smile.

"Your kind is so... forgiving. It is an evolutionary weakness." As Nightmare finished speaking, an explosion of azure energy radiated out from her. The eruption of magical energy shattered the barrier around the group, and sent them all flying in different directions. Shining Armor was near the epicentre of the blast and did not have Cadence's resilience. He was thrown back a good eighty feet, with a trail of blood following him along the way.

Aurelia met much the same fate, reeling on the ground some distance away. The blast had wounded her, but the sun was blocked out and the vampiresses body was already repairing the damage done. It would be a few seconds before she was good to go, however.

Even as a mortal, Luna was tougher than most others. The blast had shattered her bonds, and she righted herself mid air after a brief struggle to orient up from down. Flying in to land beside Avedon some distance away, she offered him her hoof while holding out her other hoof. From off in the distance was a streak of darkness, which soon flew to her empty hoof. Luna grabbed hold of her scythe and let out a sigh. "I'm afraid there will be no peace here, old friend. Perhaps in death."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
The only one here that Nightmare really wanted to speak with was Twilight. As the blast went off and sent Twilight back, the demi-alicorn would find the world around her shifting. Everything in her vision seemed to slow. Twilight was quite attuned to magic and would know that Nightmare had used her powers to briefly slow time. It was a potent spell, but only lasted a few seconds. Not even a Nightmare possessed Aurora could permanently alter time.

Reaching out to grab the weaker demi-alicorn while she was dazed from the explosion, Nightmare put a hoof on Twilight's neck and held her onto the ground. Without some kind of a distraction, Nightmare was far to physically strong to overpower and magic was of no use. And of course, time was moving so slow that nopony could actually come to her aid. "Relax, Twilight. I am not going to kill you. Your friends, I'm going to kill. Everypony you love, I'm going to kill. But not you. I want you alive to see Equestria burn and my new Empire take its place. I want you alive to watch Aurora wither away into a shell of her former self. And most of all, I want you alive to realize that it was all caused by the actions of your corrupt student. Starlight may have failed you, Twilight, but she was your student to teach and you have failed in that regard. Aurora will suffer for your failures. Perhaps in another timeline, you taught Starlight better."

"And, by the way, you are right. Aurora did not agree to this. She is suffering inside of her own body, trapped like a dog. Crying out for help, but nopony can help her. Least of all you!"

As the time slowing spell came to an end, Nightmare kicked Twilight hard in the stomach. The blow would send Twilight back several dozen feet, and Nightmare turned to face the others, a shield coming up to guard against whatever onslaught was about to come her way.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock
From everypony else's point of view, things just started moving very slowly for a few seconds. From their perspective it looked like Nightmare and Twilight were moving several times faster than normal, with their entire exchange happening in the blink of an eye. After several seconds the time altering spell wore off, and they were free to act.

"Come then, mortals! Throw your lives away in pitiful defiance!" Nightmare roared out, her magically enhanced voice rolling like thunder across the landscape. Far up above them, azure threads appeared from nowhere. The Weave made visible for the first time ever, as Nightmare prepared a horrific magical cataclysm.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof

Twilight's words broke Starlight. Twilight, the one who was willing to forgive her when she couldn't forgive herself. The one who had changed her. Had allowed her to let go of her hatred and vengeance and grow as a person. Her teacher and friend. Twilight was saying these things to her, and looking at that right now. Starlight could understand. It made her realize that, just like last time, with the Cutie Map and Star Swirl's spell, Starlight wasn't angry at anyone else. She was angry at herself, and blaming another for the actions she had done.

Again.

Twilight had not destroyed her Town and her dreams. Starlight did, by having that town and dreams be built on a lie that, once exposed, destroyed the whole twisted, cult-like system. Nightmare did not force her to make a deal, nor did she force her to give her Aurora. Starlight did both because she was every bit as weak, selfish, misguided and vengeful as she was the day she met Twilight for the first time.

Then Nightmare made a move, and magic exploded from her, knocking Starlight and everypony else down. When managed to recover enough to look around, she saw that Nightmare was pinning Twilight to the ground. Despite what just happened, over ten years of friendship does not disappear in a day. How dare Nightmare lay her hands on Twilight! Starlight maybe be vengeful, but right now her hatred for Nightmare was the only keeping keeping her will intact. If she let it go, she knew she'd slump to the ground and sob pathetically until she was put out of her misery. But she can not, and will not, watch her friends be treated like this. Nightmare won't hurt anypony else Starlight cares about.

"That sounds like a win-win to me!" Starlight shouted with a mix of venom and bravado, as she fired a large, powerful blast of magic at Nightmare.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Avedon Avedon Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Superwholock Superwholock

Cadence was blown back by Nightmare's blast, but stayed on her hooves. But her husband didn't. She teleported to him, and called out his name in panic as she checked him over for injuries. Was he okay? She saw blood. If he as in too bad a shape, she'd have to stabilize him while others fought. Or perhaps even take him out of the battle and someplace s....no. No. He wouldn't want her to do that. He'd want her to help the others. He'd want her to fight. She started to trot forward with purpose, and with challenge in her eyes.

Applejack, and the other Elements including Twilight, as well as Princess Aurelia would hear Cadence's voice in their heads;

"We need to Use the Elements against her as soon as possible. I will help Twilight and distract Nightmare. The rest of you need to prepare yourselves. We will only get one shot, and that's if we're lucky."

Avedon knew that slight shift in thought and body as it began to focus purely and solely on the battle before it. Already outside the bubble Avedon managed to clear the greatest distance and his cries of warning were drowned out by the explosion that ripped through the air afterwards.

Despite his rapport with Nightmare, or maybe because of it, her attack was not surprising merely...disappointing. For her, and for himself. Was this the same reckless and hateful stand he was destined to make? No. He'd be stronger. Better. If he survived this he'd find a different way from her. That said, like her Avedon was still a creature of violence at heart and didn't mourn the loss of peace for long.

He saw Luna and quickly moved across the floor to hold her extended hoof with one of his own, reaching down with the other to clear away the dirt from the now-mortal princess. He smiled the deepest he had yet.
"I've died before Luna. It's really not as peaceful as I always thought it'd be...I'm sure Nightfall would love to have either of us around but let's not spoil the girl just yet shall we?"
He helped her up and scanned the area for Rarity...Her gentle presence and grace had to stand out here and he just felt...he knew the three of them needed to be united right now so - oh there she was with her head stuck underground and her legs poking out, dangling in the air and kicking.

Avedon walked over and pulled her out of the ground by her tail like a carrot. The ivory-coated mare coughed a bit and stared upside down at Luna and Avedon.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Superwholock Superwholock

When Titania heard the challenge from Nightmare Moon, she oh so wanted to fight. She wanted to test herself against this being of immense power. She had the itch that only a good fight could scratch...except, something felt off. She wanted to attack but something told her that she shouldn’t yet. The only problem that she could see was the magic power this being had become a problem. She then decided on a course of action, leave the magic users to fight off the magic being and stand ready not with her gun Marrow, but her Sun Sword at the ready but not activated...Yet.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Avedon Avedon Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Twilight Sparkle
Watching everything warp and slow down around her... she knew what was going on. This time is magic is extremely rare to see, and she has performed it herself once upon a time, she was just surprised to see Nightmare do it. They at least were not capable of damaging the timeline anymore, thanks to Eternia now being there to keep things in check, but to use it right now... this is just a show of strength. Trying to intimidate her. It isn't really working, it's only really making Twilight angrier.

This situation seemed nearly hopeless. Even with all of them here, Celestia being gone meant that this became a whole lot more difficult. Luna didn't even have their powers right now, making her a mortal like the rest of them, just with an extremely powerful weapon. Nightmare has the body of a goddess at full power--the most powerful goddess--and apparently intends to use that. She let out a small growl when Nightmare grabbed her, scrabbling at their hold, but it didn't do much. They're still a lot stronger than her, even if banishing Celestia had weakened them.

"You... won't win." Twilight snarled through gritted teeth. "You never have before! What makes you think this time will be any different? Aren't you tired of failing yet?"

A loud grunt of pain came from her when Nightmare kicked her away... but Twilight stood back up, snorting. It hurt, but it would never hurt as much as losing Aurora to them. Aurora had decided to turn away from her, and that gave Twilight ample opportunity to ready up a spell. Horn suddenly coming blaze, she fired a powerful beam of magic at them, although, not in the arcane variety. She assumed that immunity would still be in place, even if possessed. So it was of the fire variety this time.

Sorry, Aura. This isn't going to kill you but it isn't going to tickle, either... please forgive me.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Nightmare saw Starlight beginning to cast a spell, and sensed Twilight also casting a spell behind her. These two spells would go off at the same time, so Nightmare had to choose which one to take control of. Aurora could have dealt with both, but just because Nightmare was in control of her domain did not mean that she had Aurora's incredible skill at manipulating the Weave. Aurora could manipulate a dozen or more spells at once, but that took hundreds of years to perfect. Nightmare had the raw power that comes with this domain, but that was all.

Twilight was the obvious choice to target here. As Twilight got through the casting of her spell, Nightmare reached out to manipulate it. Twilight had probably had her spells manipulated by Aurora before while sparring, but it was always a gentle sensation. Aurora did not force the magic out of Twilight's grasp, rather she just urged it to go elsewhere. It was not so with Nightmare. As the beam of fire raced towards Nightmare, Twilight would feel the power of her spell being torn away from her as Nightmare took control of it.

Nightmare sent the stream of fire at Starlight, taking that arcane blast in exchange. It seemed like a fair trade to her. At the very least, Twilight's stream of arcane fire would keep Starlight preoccupied with shielding herself to avoid the damage. If Nightmare could simply keep directing their attacks at each other in addition to launching her own attacks, she could deal with this in short order.

Seeing as how Starlight was already dealing with Twilight's stream of fire, Nightmare targeted Starlight to keep the pressure on her. Three lines of arcane energy erupted from Nightmare's horn, hitting the ground and travelling along it like snakes reaching for Starlight. When they reached her they each exploded in brilliant fashion.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Shining Armor was still reeling from that blow, but slowly shook himself to consciousness and sat up. Looking over to see his blade embedded in the dirt, he grabbed it and stood up to his full height. He reached up to readjust his helmet and then looked over at Cadence.

"If anything happens to me in this, you stay focused and finish the fight. There will be time to mourn after." He stated coldly, though he was ultimately right. Cadence was needed right now much more than he was, she had to stay focused if something happened to him. Although he knew it was easier said than done.

With that being said, he ran off towards Nightmare.

Avedon Avedon
Luna smiled as Avedon wiped the dirt away from her, and simply nodded at his words. She was a little distracted right now, looking around with worry evident on her face. Luna's first priority here was to make sure Rarity was safe. She did love the mare after all. After they found Rarity stuck in the ground, Luna stared at the upside mare until Avedon righted herself.

Luna leaned forward and gave Rarity a kiss on the cheek. That's all she would get, though Luna knew full well that today would probably end in several deaths. She reached out to pat Rarity on the head, but said nothing as she turned back around.

Holding out her other hoof, a flash of light from in the distance soared towards them. Celestia's mace, Dawnbringer, soon landed in Luna's hoof. With her scythe in one hoof and Celestia's mace in the other, Luna looked over at Avedon and Rarity. "This time, let's make sure that she stays dead." The goddess-turned-mortal spoke before flying off towards Nightmare.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Titania and Aurelia had landed near to each other. With the sun blocked out above them, Titania could see Aurelia's broken form beginning to regenerate and the glimmer of her fangs in the darkness. After a few moments Aurelia stood up, her jaw snapping back into place as she did so. She looked up at the darkened sky, and then over at Titania.

She noted Titania's hesitance. "They need us in there, Titania. This is not a fight for magic users." And truly, she was right. A fight against the Goddess of Magic was not a good match up for a bunch of spell casters.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Superwholock Superwholock

With what Aurella said, Titania came up with an idea. “I have an idea, sorry in advance if I end up hurting you.” She said to Aurella before running towards Nightmare Moon. As she approached Titania activated her Sun Blade. A bright beam of light formed into a blade radiating light. When she got to Nightmare Moon, Titania began to attack with an upper slash, then a horizontal slash from the right then left and finally a downwards slash.

Starlight

Starlight saw that Twilight's attack was being reflected right at her, and immediately encased herself in a crystal shield. The flames smacked into the crystal and pushed it back several meters but it still held strong. From inside the crystal, Starlight saw that Nightmare had fired three lines of arcane magic. Her shield wouldn't be able to protect her from those, and the flames! What Starlight was about to do was risky, but it was her only way out. She waited until Nightmare's attacks were close enough, then sent the crystal exploding outward, which in theory would negate the attacks. Just in case it didn't, Starlight dived to the floor before looking up to see what Nightmare and Twilight were doing now.

Cadence

Cadence was about to say something to stop and dissuade Shining, before catching herself, and nodding to him. "Please me careful, my love," she replied to him, before she starting casting a spell, powered by her love for her husband, that would grant him some measure of magical protection. And as it was Love Magic, Nightmare wouldn't be able to ignore it. It should be enough to at the very least keep her husband alive during his fight.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon had no problem with that. There was no where he'd rather be on this night. He looked back to make sure Rarity was safe as the mare began to gather her element and charge it while he flapped his wings and followed Luna's trail, shield out and ready to back into whatever opening she made, always working well as a pair, even more now as the energy from, the Element of Generosity seems to wash over them from behind and carried under their wings.

Twilight Sparkle
It was rather obvious that Nightmare would do that, redirecting her spell. Anybody could have foreseen that happening. Luckily enough, Starlight was prepared for it, as she knew what that weird crystal shield could do. You hit it and then it pretty much explodes outwards. Somewhere in the back of her mind, she had hoped it would actually hit them. But that's just the stupid part of her brain still beset on getting some form of revenge on Starlight.

There isn't really much time for it right now. This isn't exactly a good fight for them. Anything she can do, Nightmare can technically destroy it. By the fact that they had only managed to catch her spell rather than both, it was obvious that Nightmare wasn't good enough to take control of them both at once. That's a good thing.

Her horn came to life once more, but instead of targeting Nightmare, it was simply after the spell they had cast against Starlight. A quick barrier came up, cutting across the ground, causing the lines of magic to instead explode against them instead of against Starlight instead.

Selena
There was a sudden streak of black movement as Selena moved past the others, engaging Nightmare directly. All of this magic going around was getting them nowhere. They wouldn't be able to hurt them at this rate; Nightmare may not be very good with Aurora's powers, but those same powers still offer quite a lot to the hooves of the uninitiated. An annoyance to be sure, which meant that this fight needed some more physical fighters in the fray. You can't always focus on countering a spell when you've got a sword coming down on your head.

Her dagger was the first thing that came, coming like lightning to bury itself within Nightmare's neck. She was pretty sure she could do something like that and not accidentally kill them. The sword came around afterward, using this as a distraction and going for the head. Not quite the part of the head somebody may be expecting, but aiming right for their horn. An easy way of getting rid of an irritating unicorn quickly, just lop off their horn. She had a morbid curiosity if the same worked on them as well.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Distracting Starlight is really all that Nightmare was hoping to do with those attacks. One less opponent attacking her was a good thing, as she could focus on other strategies. When Twilight moved to shield Starlight, Nightmare ignored that and instead focused on launching an attack at Twilight Sparkle.

A blue flame gathered at the tip of Aurora's horn as she called upon the purest essence of the Weave. That Azureflame began to coalesce into a beautiful inferno at the top of her horn, radiating power for miles around. Twilight would be quite intimate with Aurora's Azureflame, which is simply the purest version of the Weave given form. There were no known magical barriers that could block it, and it took several feet of reinforced lunar steel to slow it down. It was the most powerful purely destructive force on the planet, and the only way to deal with it was to either take the hit or avoid it.

The Azureflame came out towards Twilight in the shape of a flaming blue serpent, twenty feet wide and sixty feet long, mouth gaping open as it sought to swallow the mare whole. However unlike in their practice duels, this time the Azureflame was fully powered and did not go in a straight line. Instead it curved around as Twilight tried to avoid it, chasing her until it hit something.

As that snake went after Twilight, Nightmare turned back to Starlight. She was just beginning to move towards Starlight, when a globe of darkness suddenly struck the evil Goddess and exploded. Nightmare let out a grunt and looked to her left, where Aurelia was readying another shadow magic spell of some sort. Nightmare had no control over that.

Avedon Avedon Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
With the lines drawn, it was now obvious who she would be fighting at range and who would be combating her in melee. Nightmare knew that any of these warriors on their own would be easily dealt with, but she could not underestimate them as a team. She also knew that she had to work quickly, for it was only a matter of time before the Elements of Harmony were rallied against her. She had things she needed to accomplish before then.

Selena and Titania arrived at nearly the same time, launching a barrage of attacks at Nightmare. As Selena's dagger drove into her neck, that distracted Nightmare just long enough for Titania to land an upper slash with her Sun Blade. The radiant energy left a burnt scar along Nightmare's cheek, which seemed to glow slightly. Titania's next horizontal slash struck Nightmare just above the eye, causing another glowing wound to appear. However her next two strikes were blocked by a blue magical shield that appeared, as Nightmare steadied herself and focused on defending.

Selena unfortunately did not have as much success. While the dagger certainly worked to distract Nightmare and helped Titania land those hits, it wasn't enough to really be of any danger. And the attack at Nightmare's horn had unexpected consequences. As Selena's blade impacted Nightmare's horn, a crack appeared at the point of impact... on the blade. Nightmare's horn was completely undamaged by the assault, though it was worth a try anyway.

Using that moment of surprise, Nightmare reached out to grab Selena with her hoof. "I respect the attempt, but you're going to have to do better." She said before slamming Selena down into the ground, one hoof on her temple. The pressure was overwhelming, even for a deity considered 'weak' by deity standards. It wouldn't take much for Nightmare to crush her skull, and that's exactly what the Goddess was doing with one hoof.

"Selena!" Came Luna's cry from off to the side. A flash of silver light passed in front of Selena's eyes, severing Nightmare's hoof at the Fetlock. A glowing silver three-bladed glaive embedded itself in the ground beside Selena, glowing in the cloudy moonlight. Luna came right behind the glaive, slamming hard into Nightmare to send the two of them tumbling several yards away from Selena.

Nightmare had hoped for this. The best way to win this fight was demoralization of her opponents, and that meant only one thing to her. As her and Luna went stumbling away, Nightmare's forelegs wrapped themselves tightly around Luna's body. The pegasi grunted and tried to free herself from Nightmare's grip, but simply wasn't strong enough in this form. She was, after all, just a mortal.

A transparent shield of Azureflame surrounded the two of them.

Twilight Sparkle
At least Starlight wouldn't have to worry about one of those attacks coming their way. The lines along the ground were stopped by the shield, which Twilight only kept up long enough to do so. It disappeared quickly afterward. No use in wasting excess magic on a mare she kinda wanted dead anyway. She wants to actually get a bit of use out of Starlight before they kick the bucket. They might still be after this, depending on what the verdict is for punishment. High treason is usually a death sentence.

But this left Twilight with a completely different problem to deal with now. Nightmare decided to use one thing that she didn't think they would actually be capable of doing. The Azureflame popping made her pause, eyes widening in shock. They've figured out how to do this already? That isn't good. No, that doesn't bode very well for them at all. Nightmare can't be allowed to start throwing this around at their beck and call.

A fully powered Azureflame is something she doesn't know how to deal with. To be honest, she didn't know what to do about the normal version. Aurora didn't really use it much during training. Probably because this shit is dangerous and accidentally killing your marefriend is not the goal.

Twilight's horn began to glow when it fully manifested into something akin to a basilisk. When it lunged, she teleported away... appearing next to Aurelia by complete accident! She didn't exactly have the time to aim where her teleport would put her, just somewhere nearby and out of the way. But the thing was giving chase. That's annoying.

"Of all the fucking...!" She growled out under her breath, prepared to teleport out of the way again. Twilight noticed Aurelia right there then, realizing her mistake almost immediately.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Avedon Avedon
Selena
Selena honestly should have guessed this wouldn't work. But she was hopeful. The fight really felt like a losing one; Celestia was banished, Luna doesn't have their powers, they're fighting a goddess who was already pretty powerful to begin with, amped up by Nightmare. Yes, this is a bad situation to be in. They're only left with an underpowered goddess and some demigods and mortals left. The Elements of Harmony aren't in a position to even fire off an attack, of which they only have a single shot. Missing means that they have effectively lost. How the hell do you hold a mare who can teleport wherever, whenever, in a single spot?

Obviously trying to cut off their magic. Her sword wasn't strong enough to do anything to it, just leave a dinged edge where it struck. Her reward? Being grabbed and crushed into the dirt. Selena let out a yelp at first, but it quickly transformed into a scream of pain. She isn't a stranger to death. This has happened before. But having her skull crushed isn't a way that she has died, of which it had only occurred once before in the first place. Her head had just been lopped off then. Quick and painless.

This hurt. There was an ominous crack from her skull as Nightmare pressed. She heard a muffled voice, her brain having difficulty processing it, but she could recognize it from anywhere. Then the pressure suddenly vanished. Luna had saved her by chopping off their hoof and tackling them.

"L-Luna, no! F-Fool!" Selena called out, trying to get up, and only managing to trip over herself. She was totally discombobulated, trying to find her sword, dagger, anything.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon had moved in following Luna an d supporting her with his magic but after the two were split he fell backwards, grimmacing and trying to find a way through his shield as he healed Selena.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Starlight

Starlight hadn't seen things, right? Twilight had saved her. After everything....she truly was still Starlight's former teacher and friend, always looking out for her. Starlight owed her more than the return of Aurora. Starlight owed Twilight everything. She needed to do everything in her power to help defeat Nightmare and bring back Aurora uninjured. She saw that Nightmare now how Luna in her grasp, and was behind a shield. An Azureflame shield. And an Azureflame missile was chasing Twilight. Starlight's magic was no match for Azureflame, but she couldn't just stand around helpless! She had to take risks like she'd never taken before!

Casting 'Celestia's Spiritual Weapon', she summoned a replica of Dawnbringer, which she wielded as she tried to, in spite of the Azureflame and Nightmare Aurora's mastery of the weave, teleport past the shield and next to Nightmare. If she managed it, she would then swing at Nightmare's torso with the light weapon.

Cadence

Cadence closed her eyes the moment she saw Nightmare take Luna essentially hostage. She sent streams of her Love Magic probing the weave for any way to get to Nightmare through her defenses. Finding nothing right now, she turned her attention to Luna, found the glowing trace of her love for Celestia, her children, and the ponies among them that were her friends. Cadence put her efforts into filling Luna's soul to the brim with love, and bringing her cherished relationships to the forefront of her mind. At the same time, Luna would hear Cadence's voice. "Please don't give up. So many of us will fight for you, depend on you, need you, and will free you!"

Blast it Luna, this is no time to be emotional.” Thought Titania. Selena had become trapped by Nightmare Moon after her attack failed by in essence crushing her skull. Luna was having none of that and made her move. With that however, Nightmare Moon and Luna had become entangled and trapped under the Shield Nightmare Moon was using.

Titania spared a glance for Selena and saw Avedon doing his thing. With that problem getting attention by someone who could handle it, Titania made a decision. She cast the spell Silva’s Augmented Abilities : Earth Ponies Strength. She knew that she was not the brightest but could guess that if she wailed on the shield then she might distract Nightmare Moon, break the shield or in the best case scenario both. With that done she launched another 3 attacks against the shield, hammering at the shield with the blade of the sword with all her strength.

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Of all the fucking places to teleport, that was a rather bad choice. Aurelia looked at Twilight, and then looked over at the flaming serpent heading towards them. "... What in Tartarus is wrong with you, Twilight Sparkle? Are you trying to kill me?" Aurelia exclaimed with a huff. She couldn't really teleport all that well, it took time for her to focus on shadowporting. And there's no way her mist form would move fast enough to dodge that thing. There was only one option left.

As she saw Twilight's horn glowing for what she presumed was another teleport, Aurelia literally hopped on Twilight's back like a foal. "Take me with you!" She commanded, a death grip around Twilight's throat out of fear. She didn't like regular teleporting but it was better than being incinerated by a giant blue snake thing.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
As Twilight and Aurelia teleported away, Avedon, Cadence and Selena would see that Azureflame serpent soaring towards the spot where the two were last; right beside the shield. There was a very strange sound as the Azureflame serpent grazed against the Azureflame shield, almost like reality itself was tearing. Nightmare showed visible signs of pain as the two Azureflame sources collided, the Weave bending and warping in response.

Up above them the sky began to tear apart, a flicker of Azurefire visible through the tear in reality... before it began to knit back together. And just like that, the Azureflame shield and serpent both disappeared, and Nightmare was left reeling from the experience.

Aurelia looked over at what just happened and then clapped Twilight on the shoulder happily. "That was brilliant. Perhaps you are not as unintelligent as I believed." She exclaimed, fully believing that Twilight totally meant to do that.

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Starlight could tell from feeling the shield out that teleporting through the barrier was of no use. However, the shield soon went down and her teleportation spell went off along with it! Nightmare was not expecting any of this, still reeling from having the Azurefire suddenly cancel out. She did not even notice Starlight appear beside her, not until the replica of Dawnbringer slammed against her ribs.

There was a horrible crunching sound as the light weapon shattered Nightmare's ribs, causing her to take in a wet, sucking breath. Her torso was indented slightly, yet even still it was already healing. She was still clearing her head of the Azurefire backlash.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Titania's blade slammed against the Azureflame shield several times, but left no noticeable marks on the flickering flames. Even with the enhanced strength from her spell, there was just no way that Titania could damage the barrier with her current weapons.

As the Azureflame serpent collided with the shield, Titania's next strike whiffed through the air as the shield disappeared. It was a very strange sensation as the forces collided, leaving the air around where the shield had been feeling heavy. However for all intents and purposes, Titania could freely attack Nightmare now.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Rather than try to escape, Luna did the opposite. Even as a mortal, a remnant of her divinity lingered and provided her greater strength than she should normally possess. Not equal to her regular divine self, but hopefully enough to restrain a dazed Nightmare for just a few seconds.

Nightmare was still squeezing her, which hurt an immense amount. Luna could feel her ribs cracking under the pressure, but she had felt worse before. Through the pain she heard Cadence's words and felt her magic. Cadence's power filled her, a strength she didn't realize she still possessed coming to the forefront. The Moon high above began to glow a brilliant white as Luna tapped into the latent connection, still the Moon's avatar even if she didn't have the physical gifts that it bestowed at the moment. Cadence's reassurance was exactly what she needed at the moment, to go through with her plan. "I will never give up, so long as you all keep fighting. You all show me what's worth fighting for." Luna's voice responded to Cadence.

As Nightmare began to gather her senses and look around, Luna took the opportunity to adjust into a better position in the grapple. With a sudden explosive motion she sent Nightmare over her hip and headfirst into the ground, stunning the Primordial for just a few seconds more. However, Luna knew it wouldn't last much longer. Wrapping all four legs around Nightmare, she just held the mare as still as she could.

"Starlight, Titania, get out of here! Girls, if you're going to use the Elements, now is the time!" Luna called out to them. The chances of them getting Nightmare dazed like this again were slim to none. If they were going to take a shot, it had to be done right now.

Avedon Avedon
Luna spared Avedon just a glance. In this moment it was clear what had to be done. Reaching out with her hoof, Luna's artifact turned into a longsword and drifted over to Avedon where it embedded itself in the ground at Avedon's hooves. There was no real time for a goodbye here, though Luna wasn't even sure what being caught between Nightmare and the Elements would do. Would it even harm her?

Either way, it didn't matter right now. "Take the blade and finish this fight, Avedon. It is now yours to command, until Celestia takes up the weapon." came Luna's voice into Avedon's mind. There was nothing else to say here, though Luna did take one long look at Rarity before focusing back on Nightmare. She didn't know if the Elements would kill her or not, but if this was the end she wanted to look at her two closest friends one last time.

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Selena got a little more of a response from Luna. Selena was practically her daughter... Luna had created her a long time ago and, while she hadn't been very present in Selena's life thanks to the banishment, she still cared for her constellation creatures. While Luna held Nightmare down, her voice reached out to Selena and made its way into Selena's mind. The words were gentle and caring, though stern as well.

"If this kills me, you are going to have to say your goodbyes to those you love. I know that you realize this, but we are inexorably bound together; if I die, you will die shortly after. If this does not kill me, keep Celestia calm. She needs to speak with Harmony. I love you, Selena. You've made me very proud."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Avedon Avedon Shadeofshade Shadeofshade

Starlight jumped out of the way as she saw Luna grab the weakened and dazed Nightmare, as Cadence smiles and sent her voice into the mind of every Element. "Now! Use the Elements! They shouldn't hurt Luna! They didn't last time!"

Applejack needed no further encouragement. Her necklace glowed and she levitated into the air as the Element of Honesty shot forth a beam that would, in theory, merge with the other five beams, above Twilight's crown. Applejack grinned. This time they'd put her down for good.

Pinkie Pie grinned, did a hoof pump and exclaimed "Finally!" before letting herself hover in the air. The Element of Laughter shot forth its own blue beam to join Applejack's.

Last edited:

With what Luna said, Titania didn’t need telling twice. She decided to jump out of the way so she landed next to where Selena was. Titania didn’t know what else to do and decided to let the ones that knew what they were doing to do it. “Hope the Elements can determine friend from foe.” She muttered under her breath, referring to the elements themselves rather than their bearers.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Avedon Avedon
Twilight Sparkle
To be honest, her first thought when being chased by homing magic is to find something to run it into. Most aren't strong enough to just keep going straight through a bunch of trees. Azureflame is a different story... she figured that, if it were to touch itself, it would just become stronger. Because it's touching the same thing at itself. She thought it would simply absorb the Azureflame it touched and become something even worse. That theory was apparent way off, considering what just happened next.

Aurelia grabbing onto her, Twilight teleported out of the way of the Azureflame serpent, totally intending on making the serpent contact the shield. They appeared somewhere nearby in relative safety. They grazed and then... something strange happened. It was as if the Weave itself didn't quite understand what had just occurred, but it also seemed to have damaged it. The shield and the serpent both vanished at once, leaving Nightmare dazed from it and Luna free of their grasp. That's pretty good!

"I... Yeah. Totally." This is not something she thought would happen. But it did so they needed to take advantage of the fact. Her Element started to glow. Nightmare, stunned and dazed momentarily? This is the chance they have been waiting for. The perfect moment to use the Elements.

But what she wouldn't be expecting is that Luna is fully prepared to take the fall. Twilight's eyes widened, gasping. The Element of Magic was ready, Applejack's Element joining with it, but she wasn't really sure she was ready to blast Luna for a second time. What would the consequences be? Discord was struck more than once by the Elements of Harmony, but he is something completely different. He is both a nearly all-powerful deity but and not stripped of their powers. Luna is just a slightly stronger mortal right now. Has any mortal even been hit by the Elements?

There wasn't much time to think about it. Her face deepened into a frown, closing her eyes, saying a silent prayer to them. If this is the end, Luna... I'm proud to have called you a friend. I won't forget. But she has hope that it won't be. Luna isn't bad anymore. Sociopathic, yes, but not bad.

She started to float in the air, her wings playing out, the Element of Magic glowing brightly. It just needed the other Elements to join in afterward, in which, of course, they did. The Element of Loyalty joined in soon afterward. They just need Generosity, Kindness, and Laughter then.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Selena
The moonsaber was still trying to recover from what Nightmare did to her. She had mostly made it, but right now, that was the least of her concerns. The interaction between the Azureflame shield and serpent was an interesting one, something she would keep in mind for another time, but it just pretty much got worse for her. Luna has decided to sacrifice herself to make sure Nightmare gets the full treatment from the Elements of Harmony, after nearly sacrificing themself for her. She didn't like it. She didn't like it one single bit.

"What? No, you can't!" Selena screamed out, scrambling up. She couldn't quite figure out what to do between going to aid her mother or standing by. Would it even matter, whichever choice she made? Tears welled up in her eyes, shaking her head quickly. Luna is right. If they die, she will go with them, and unfortunately, she isn't sure where that might be. Selena might simply disappear, vanishing from existence forever.

Closing her eyes tightly, Selena let out a small, pathetic whine. "I-I love you too, Mother Moon... Always have..." She mumbled. "Please live... Please, Harmony, let her live..."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Rarity's eyes stared back across the battlefield. So wide that even from the distance they sparkled. Too far for words, but she and Luna had always had a connection deeper than what was merely said aloud between the two. The shimmering sorrow in her eyes held all her emotions plain to see. Fear, sorrow, love, she felt as if she was about to betray her friend by continuing to channel the Elements at her. She felt that keenly, and it hurt...but more than that, she knew that if she stopped, that would be a far greater betrayal. She could do nothing but give in to her role as an Element, and let fate play out. Tears falling down like diamonds from her eyes in the distance. Despite her tears though she smiled, she smiled not for what would happen, but for all the moments she had had with Luna. A joy deeper than the sorrow, deeper than the evil of Nightmare Moon blazed there under those tearful eyes. For all this darkness and tragedy, the happiness she had shared with her best friend was far beyond it, and she knew it deserved to shine here...to be seen by Luna, to be shared between them at this, what could be the end.

Avedon picked up the sword, there was not much to say at that point. That gesture gave everything to a warrior, and they had even less time to say anything. He moved to make sure that whatever happened, whatever Nightmare did next, he could intercept it before it reached Rarity or shield her. The most he could answer to Luna. He would guard this blade, and he would guard her friends, and he would guard their world. Whether in her hoof, his, or Celestia's, Luna's blade would never falter in it's charge.
"Fear not Luna, I won't fail you, none of us will..."

Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Shining Armor wasn't so sure about Cadence's words, but he couldn't argue against them either. Even if this was lethal towards Luna, that was just the price they would have to pay to end this threat. Luna's life was a fair price to pay for stopping Nightmare Aurora from ravaging the planet. If they failed here, who would step in to stop her?

As the Elements began to ramp up, Shining Armor made his way to Cadence away from all of it. He didn't know what would happen here but he didn't want to accidentally get in the way of anything. He kept his sword drawn, standing slightly in front of his wife in a protective way despite knowing full well that he needed protection more than her. Still, nopony would ever be able to convince him to move. He always stood to intercept in front of her.

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Landing next to Titania and Selena was Aurelia, who quickly began to shoo them away. "I don't know about you two, but I don't feel like standing here when the Elements go off." Was all she had to say before flying away to a safer distance. Aurelia hadn't seen the Elements be used in over a millennia, and she couldn't really remember what it felt like to be in their presence. She just remembered that mortals should hang around right beside the target!

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Selena got no other response out of Luna, who didn't really have that much time left. She already said everything she wanted or needed to say to Selena. She wasn't always there for Selena, but at least she knew she was loved. Instead of Selena, Luna focused her final few thoughts on Twilight Sparkle. They were never overly close, but Luna still loved her anyway as a daughter-in-law.

"Save my daughter and treat her well, Twilight. I've been waiting a long time for somepony like you to come into her life. I'm proud to call you my daughter-in-law... but if I die, try not to have the ceremony until I'm back." Luna joked lightly, though she was somewhat serious. She doubted she'd be gone forever, and they did have literally an eternity to get married.

Avedon Avedon
Rarity was by far the hardest one to say goodbye to here. There wasn't much to be said between the two of them... they both already knew. Luna had never said it, because she was a loyal wife and didn't want to stir up trouble. But seeing as how this might actually be the last time they see each other, she figured she ought to just say it. For all she knew if she did come back to life, Rarity would already be dead of old age. The last thing that Luna wanted was for an old dying Rarity to be wishing she heard it once.

"... I love you, Rarity. Though I think you already know it. Take good care of Avedon for me, he's going to need it. If this is goodbye, I'll see you in the afterlife no matter what." She spoke softly, trying and failing to keep the sadness out of her telepathic message. If this was goodbye, it wasn't how Luna had pictured it. She had hoped to be at Rarity's bedside when she died of old age, surrounded by grandkids and loved ones. Instead all they got was this fleeting moment.

Avedon got her final message. In Luna fashion, of course. Avedon got no sad goodbyes, no love or comfort. They were both molded from the same metal, and Luna knew that the time for goodbyes between them had passed. That was for before the battle. "... Drive that blade through Nightmare's dark, manipulative heart Avedon."

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
Fluttershy's Element was the last one to join in. The pink beam soared upwards and combined with the others, which swirled and combined together. As the magic of the Elements made itself known, Nightmare began to shake away her dizziness and looked wildly around. This sensation was very familiar to her. The spark of fear was evident in her eyes as she shook Luna off, rising to her feet.

The rainbow was racing towards her. No time to teleport. Her heart was racing as she did the only thing she could thing of, and conjured another Azureflame shield. It was smaller this time, covering just herself and Luna. As the beam from the Elements impacted the shield, the entire ground shook as it hit by a powerful earthquake. High up above them the Weave began to twist and tear again, as it fought directly against the power of the Elements.

To Nightmare's credit, or perhaps to Aurora's and the Weaves credit, the shield stood strong for several seconds. The two most powerful forces in the universe were battling here, Aurora's Azureflame versus the Elements of Harmony.

Fluttershy began to wince as the Element drew more power from all of them, ramping up like a motor trying to get its job done. Most enemies only took a brief moment of contact with the Elements to be defeated, this was already going longer than any other fight had. A few seconds for the Elements to defeat an enemy was unheard of. She could feel herself growing weaker as the Element took every ounce of her strength.

Cracks began to appear on the shield. First a small one, and then larger ones. "N-NO!" Nightmare cried out, forcing more of her power into the shield. A few of the smaller cracks healed, but more patches in the flames appeared. And then, with a sound like a million cracks of thunder, the shield shattered. The Elements washed over Nightmare Aurora, who let out a horrible shriek from the feeling.

The Elements of Harmony had pulled more power here than ever before, and as they spent the last of their power, Fluttershy and the other Elements would feel themselves completely depleted. Fluttersy collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

The only one left standing was Twilight Sparkle, who the Elements had drained the very divinity from. Much like how Luna had appeared in her younger form after the Elements separated her from Nightmare the first time, so too did Twilight grow weaker from the experience. But, she was still standing. Weary and exhausted, but she'd still be able to fight.

The worst was not over yet. As the Azureflame shield shattered, the energy contained in it exploded as well. All ponies present would feel the shockwave hit them, most of them going unconscious immediately. Shining Armor was thrown back, damage and unconscious but just barely alive. Aurelia was closer to the blast when it happened, and simply turned into mist as the explosion tore apart her body. She retreated far away, back to her coffin. Cadence was caught by the blast as well.

Avedon, Starlight, Titania and Twilight were the only ones left standing when all was said and done. A shimmering magical force surrounded them, protecting them from the blast that should have killed them... their one and only gift from Harmony.

The landscape around them was ruined. If they were lesser ponies, the explosion would have incinerated them all. Half of the houses in Ponyville had fallen from the explosion, which was so powerful that it shattered the windows of buildings in Canterlot. The ground around them was broken, as if hit by a magnitude 10 earthquake. All grass and animal life within a few miles was just... gone.

Much to everyponies dismay, the form of Nightmare Aurora began to stir and stand up. She looked smaller, drained of power. Aurora's body was much more visible now, her light purple fur showing patches of darkness where Nightmare sought to consume her. "I... Will not be bested... BY MORTALS!" She spoke boldly, wobbling on her hooves as she got ready for their final fight.

Trixie appeared in a flash of magic, adjusting her purple wizard hat on top of her head. "... Everypony is evacuated. Soooo what did I miss?"

Avedon Avedon
Luna was right at the epicentre of the blast, and did not survive. Her body was thrown a dozen yards away, landing at the hooves of Rarity. The mares eyes were closed peacefully, the explosion having killed her instantly. Her corpse was torn to pieces, silvery blood spilling out to form a pool in front of Rarity and under her hooves. At the very least, it appeared that Luna hadn't felt a thing.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Twilight Sparkle
It was rather startling to find that Nightmare withstood the blast of the Elements. Discord hadn't even lasted quite that long, although to be honest, it was due to his own arrogance that he was struck at all. Discord was fully capable of moving out of the way, he can even teleport much faster than a unicorn can. He changes positions with just a thought. If Discord was barely able to only last a second or two underneath the fury of the Elements, Nightmare lasting several with Aurora's powers is telling of the upper limits of the Elements. Hopefully, they didn't find any stronger entities that may need it.

Their resistance was in vain. The Elements just grew stronger and stronger, draining more and more from them. A lot more than she had previously thought they would. Twilight, for a brief moment, was actually afraid that they would fail. Of course, she kept pushing regardless, channeling through powers through the Element of Magic to dish out some much-needed justice. Nightmare's powers were drained away soon, the shield shattering, ringing across the battlefield.

Twilight was left exhausted, like nothing she had been exhausted by before. The Elements were rendered worthless, her own Element losing its color entirely. Rainbow struggled to retained consciousness, but collapsed, slipping off into the black swamping her. The alicorn rushed over to them. "Girls!? Girls! Are you okay? Hello!?"

She shook them all several times, checking their pulses. Everybody alive... the others? Barely. Nobody seemed to be spared here tonight, except by those Harmony deemed worth sparing, for whatever reason or another. Guess this would have been a completely lost battle without them intervening. Honestly, she was tempted to scream at them. If they bother to save them from being hit by the aftermath, why don't they deal with this problem themself? Instead they just watch the rest of them suffer to do it.

Twilight is far and away from giving up. She stood back up slowly, shaking her head, clearing herself of her exhaustion. Focus. She needs to focus right now on what is important at the moment. Turning back to Nightmare, the Elements had truly done a number on them. Aurora is shining through... something that made her happy. It gave her hope. And it gave her the will to keep pushing forward. The fight isn't over yet... the finale yet lays before them.

Stepping forward, horn glowing, shaking a little herself, Nightmare would find the little purple alicorn standing before them defiantly still. And then fucking Trixie appeared.

Twilight stared at them... and then smiled, grateful to see somebody fresh to the fight. "A l-little late to the party there, Trixie, but most opportune. We really need you right now. I need you right now." They only had to look around the field to see the destruction this fight has caused so far. Ponies unconscious everywhere, those left awake barely standing still. "Care to help finish this fight for good this time?"

They won't get another chance. This needed to end right now. Twilight turned her eyes to the rest, yelling. "Shake it off, everypony! Together! The fight isn't over yet! Luna's sacrifice won't be in vain!"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Selena
The moonsaber didn't really move at all. Ultimately, whatever choice she made her is largely irrelevant. She was tempted to move in and simply aid in Luna holding Nightmare down, but figured that might be a waste. If it kills Luna, the chances are that the Elements may permanently kill Selena as well. Which Luna surely will not be happy with, she could tell that much. Luna wouldn't want her needlessly risking her life like that, although, they may appreciate the gesture regardless. It all falls on them now whether or not she lives.

She turned her head to Aurelia and Titania slowly, shaking her head. "You two go. My fate rests here with Luna. If she dies, I will perish alongside her, such is my fate. Bound eternally to my goddess." She smiled only very slightly at the two of them, her face awash with exhaustion. She had a feeling on how this is going to turn out. "It was a pleasure serving alongside you both. If events go in the direction I'm predicting... Perhaps I'll see you all again when Luna does."

And, well, it's exactly how it turns out. She hoped and prayed that Harmony would be merciful enough to spare Luna, but it seems it was for naught. Her prayers did little to keep them from being killed by the Elements of Harmony. The blast that rang out from the Azureflame shield shattering was avoided deftly by her, rising into her stars momentarily to not be utterly destroyed. She reappeared soon after, coming back down in a shower of sparkles with Luna and Rarity.

Tears pricked at her eyes seeing Mother Moon's body in shreds like that. The Elements are as merciless as they are powerful, it would appear. Luna's death soon marked that she would be joining them shortly. A whimper escaped Selena, lowering her head. "... W-Well... guess that's it."

The galaxies and nebulae that showed in her pelt soon dimmed down, the stars disappearing one by one. Her colors did as well, turning into a midnight black, which faded even into transparency. Some tears fell from her eyes before Selena vanished completely, off to join Luna in the afterlife for the time being.

To the last ones still awake, there was some final thoughts from Selena. Make Nightmare suffer for what she's done here today...

Cadence

Cadence looked to her husband. She had just lied to many ponies she would call a friend, and she had known beforehand that it was a lie. But she knew it's what Luna would have wanted. It's what Cadence herself would have done if she had the same window of opportunity. She didn't deserve somepony as unflinchingly pure and as noble as Shining Armor.

The Elements battled against Nightmare's shield until the Elements finally prevailed, creating a massive explosion of magic that knocked Cadence back several feet and sent her skidding across he floor. She was in serious pain. She felt like her insides had been stirred around and jumbled up. Her eyes traveled past the prone but breathing forms of Applejack and Pinkie Pie. She looked over at Shining. He had been standing in front of her. He'd taken the brunt of the blast. She watched him until she was sure that his chest was moving. He was breathing. He was still alive. Using as much of her willpower as she could manage, she crawled over to Shining, and draped her hoof across him. With nothing in her head but to get the two of them out of harm's way now that they will unfortunately be of no use t5o the others, she teleported both herself and her husband to the throne room of the Crystal Empire. The muffled, murky alert voices of the Crystal Guard were the last thing she heard swimming through her head before she lost consciousness.

Starlight

Starlight got shakily to her hooves. They'd hit Nightmare with the Elements of Harmony but she was still alive! What was worse, Luna was dead, and Selena had joined her shortly afterwards. These losses hit Starlight hard. She knew they were all her fault. But she couldn't dwell on it. If she lat her anger and rage cool for even a second, she knew that she'd break down both emotionally and physically. Her desire for revenge on Nightmare was all she had left at this point.

And then Trixie showed up, having finished evacuating Ponyville. Starlight looked to her wife, and the pang of guilt suddenly expanded and threatened to swallow her. She was suddenly short of breath, and had to gasp air into her lungs to stop herself from choking. Her heart welled with love, and with shame. And this reflected in her eyes. Starlight was more intense than Trixie had ever seen her. So much hateful contempt for both Nightmare, and for herself. Such rage and sorrow. Such burning, unwavering devotion to her wife. Starlight needed Trixie. All this was expressed in a single look, when their eyes briefly locked, before Starlight turned back to Nightmare, and let red mist spew from her horn again. She was weaker now. This time, they'd kill her for good.

Wing Gambit

Wing Gambit felt a sudden, sharp pain in her soul, which caused her to gasp for air and collapse on the northwest stairwell of Canterlot Castle. She wasn't aware how much time had passed. Was in a few seconds, or a few hours? She remained in this painful state, fearing genuinely that her life was coming to an end. Them....it stopped. The pain stopped. She got back to her hooves. She was alive! That pain must have been a severing, or at the very least a strong tugging, of the Soul Contract between her and Luna, which must mean that Luna had lost her life tonight. But....Cozy Glow was still alive! What did this mean? One thing Cozy did know was that Luna was no longer around to keep an eye on her. Luna could no longer stop her. With a sly grin, she continued to make her way up the stairwell. She had to make the most of her newfound freedom. She had some plotting to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back