• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings MJ's Plot Compendium

M.J. Saulnier

Semi-Retired User
Plot ideas. So many plot ideas. This is a three tiered thread.

• Recruitment: If by chance a good group comes together on an idea
  • Plot Exchange: If you want to try an idea without me involved, just link me to the IC so I can enjoy it with you
  • Brainstorming: If an idea gets discussed and developed as a result
Mods, feel free to move this to a better suited section, if you feel it may clutter this one by lingering too much. My feeling was it's more recruitment-based than discussion at the end of the day.

MJ's Plot Compendium

Welcome to my personal plot compendium. Just a little nook for which to store my plot ideas, on the off chance people like them and want to do them with me, or want to borrow the idea to do a test run - without me. Whatever the case may be, this is where it will happen. Most of these are concepts, not actual project pitches. The more time I spend toying with an idea, the more complicated and specific it gets, so most of these are the ones I've not toyed with yet.

Keep an eye on this thread, I will be adding new concepts as they form, and removing ones that have been adopted and or started.

Open Plots
Stuff that is open for use on RPN by anyone from RPN.​

LARP: The Role Play of Destiny
Genres
: Realistic, Fantasy, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Spoof, Satire
Plot: A wealthy eccentric invites hundreds of LARPers to the wilderness of Nowhere, Oklahoma, to participate in a new LARP competition. When you all arrive, you are divided at random into kingdoms (or teams). Each team departs for their respective patch of territory and establish a base camp before sleeping the first day off.

When the LARPers awaken, they quickly realize that this is no ordinary LARP session. All props including weapons and armor, are now real. Fantastic beasts roam the forest, attacking unsuspecting LARPers, and a new objective has been left on parchment. The first team to successfully bring the Scepter of Kings back to their camp, wins the competition, and everyone will be released from the game.

The game would follow a small protag group of ordinary people who are totally unprepared for the real deal. The line between protag and antag would be blurred a bit for the most part - one very rotten apple might work if an element of comedy exists within their personality. One "antag" role that is almost demanded, is a brawny, hardcore LARPer (someone who has been waiting for this day, and knows his way around his character classing/gear), but is less than the sharpest tool in the shed when push comes to shove. Someone who has the capacity to cooperate in certain scenarios.

Anyway yeah, this one is fun, but doesn't work if you make it too serious.

Youth Super Virus
Genres
: Dystopian, Light Post-apoc, Science Fiction, Drama
Plot: The year is 2041. It's been twenty years since a Covid-like super virus swept every civilized inch of the globe, killing everyone under the age of 18.

Option A: One year later, no pregnancies carry to term anywhere in parts of the world impacted by the super virus. Every year, humanity edges closer to extinction.

The RP could be set anywhere, really, about anyone. This option is literally an exploration of the death of humanity, the emotions, regrets, reflections, and also beauty, not just morbid depressing stuff. Major underlying themes would include nature, and its rise in contrast to the fall of humanity. The beauty that breaks through if you just stop for long enough to let it.

Option B: One year later, over 50% of pregnancies no longer carry to term anywhere in parts of the world impacted by the super virus. Female babies have become the most sought-after resource on the planet, and gender power dynamics have gradually shifted toward feminine authority and favor. Tribal cultures unaffected by the super bug are having their children abducted to be sold on the black market, giving desperate upper class couples a real shot at raising a child of their own.

The RP could be set in an American city or town struggling through this new, dystopian society. My mind drifts to a family that for some reason have been gifted with multiple female babies, drawing the attention of their community, for both good and bad.

Male Super Virus
Genres
: Dystopian, Light Post-apoc, Science Fiction, Drama
Plot: The year is 2021, ten years after a mysterious super virus virtually wiped out the population of human males on earth. Reserves of frozen sperm from banks around the world are put to use attempting to save humanity, but no males live passed the age of three. New sciences work feverishly to artificially develop sperm, as well as develop a vaccine for the elusive virus. Nothing works, until one special baby boy lives passed his fourth birthday. Then his fifth. Sixth. The world is holding its breath.

This RP would follow the life trajectory of the only boy, and man, on the planet Earth. How would being raised without the influence of male cultures and pressures change the way he views the world, relationships, women, etc? How would the pressure of celebrity and being the only man on earth impact him? What will his story be?

Private Plots
Stuff that more or less belongs to me, and is not okay to use on your own.​

Pride Sin & Glory: TBD
Genres
: Hybrid - Western/Fantasy, Horror, Post-Apoc, Adventure
Plot: Fourteen years after Drax Necro was killed by a group of mercenaries briefly captained by the late Bones Lancet. It was said that the curse would be broken. That men would once again be free to rebuild, but little has changed. Foul creatures still stalk the countryside, now roving from county to county in unchecked gangs. The vampires have no order anymore. If anything, things may have gotten worse. Whispers amidst the shadows hiss of Nerco's return, and although few believe it could be true, many are left on edge.

Sidell Kuresh is a mercenary working in the western regions. His latest contract has left him wounded, and with a vengeful vampire on his tail. Knowing he will heal faster than his mortal nemesis, the vampire stalks his mark for days.

Meanwhile, at a tavern in a nearby town, Sidell encounters a twenty-five year old female and her younger brother whilst squaring up with his employer.

These traveling siblings are the unknowing offspring of Bones Lancet, fabled vampire slayer and folk hero from one side of the Reach to the other. The young man, only seventeen, carries with him a charm in the shape of a gothic cross. He swears by the divine properties of the heirloom given to him by his mother, much to his sister's dismay, who shares the universal belief that deities do not exist.

When Sidell is ambushed by his pursuer outside of the tavern, the young man puts himself in harms way, attempting to use his necklace to intimidate or dispel the beast away. To the horror and awe of everyone present, a mysterious light emanates from the cross, consuming the vampire and burning him to the bone within seconds. No one, even the young man can figure out what happened, or why.

This begins a journey of peril for Sidell and the young siblings. Broken, scared mortals looking for hope in a new set of heroes, and corrupt tyrants looking for a weapon. The struggle to protect themselves and find answers will finally bring a new chapter of PSG to life.

The Projector (working title)
Genres
: Adventure, Mystery, Fantasy, Drama
Plot: Several young film students discover an antique film projector in an old, burnt out theater they are doing volunteer work at, restoring the vintage property. Along with the projector, they find one can of film to go with it. Being film buffs, they decide to get it working. When it begins to play, something truly magical happens. Unaware of exactly how, or when, the students become part of the film they had started out watching. It's as real to them as reality itself. Taste, touch, sound, smell, and sight. Even the characters are flesh and blood when inside the film. When the reel stops, it's as though they've woken up in the theater seats they had begun the viewing in.

Their awe and curiosity leads to research, and the group discover that the projector and reel belonged to a famous, eccentric film maker from the 1930s named Charles S. Hightower, who shot into the Hollywood spotlight briefly before disappearing after a tragic fire at one of his premiere events. The group try different movie reels, but only his movie will transport them inside. They relive that movie again and again, discovering that they are always the same characters, can be injured inside the film, and that no matter what they do, the ending is always the same.

When one of the students finds a stash of Hightower reels hidden behind a wall, they discover what seems to be Hightower himself inside one of the films. Charles tells them of another who lives inside the reels, and that he is trying to escape. Every time they watch a reel, they risk letting him out.

The group must learn more about the mysteries of Charles Hightower as they pursue the yet unnamed antagonist, who plays one of the lead males in every Hightower film, through the reels, and try to stay together as friends.

This RP will allow us to focus on our characters, but it is not supposed to be about us. This is a story about Charles S. Hightower, and even the yet unnamed antagonist. Charles discovered a secret of sorts. His love for and desire to exist as part of his art was so powerful, it simply became reality. That's my way of letting you understand it, of course. The supernatural science of it probably won't be revealed in the RP. It's also a coming of age story.

Enjoy. Feedback is welcome, co-development is welcome, borrowing/taking is welcome (privates notwithstanding).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back